Thread: Ending of the Eagles-Titans game was bullshit (stupid overtime rule)

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Ending of the Eagles-Titans game was bullshit (stupid overtime rule)

The Peyton Manning overtime rule (the one where the opposing team gets the ball if you score a FG on the opening drive of overtime) has been around for several years, but I don't think I've seen a game yet where it was abused so hard to provide a shitty outcome. I knew this would happen eventually due to fundamental flaw with the rule, but I had not ever seen as good of an example of it as today.

The problem with the OT rule is: If the first team scores a FG, then the other team does not play normally on its possession. They know it is four-down territory for the duration, and they make unusual, even bizarre moves. But it is also not a race against the clock, like in most desperate situations at the end of a game.

In this game, the Eagles scored to open OT, then the Titans had the ball with 6 or 7 minutes to go, knowing that every series was four-down football. Three times in a row, they yolo'ed a fourth-down conversion that they never would have gone for under ordinary circumstances. The most egregious one was a 4th-and-15 at their own 30-yard line, with 5 minutes to go. There's no way any team down by three points goes for it in that field position, with that much time on the clock. And of course, another fourth-down conversion came by penalty, just because you aren't allowed to have a game without a penalty at a key moment anymore.

Anyway ... I don't care that Peyton Manning didn't get the ball. Boo-hoo Colts, it's in the distant past. The way they used to do overtime was sometimes a bit lopsided, but that was the danger of sudden death. They have only taken a dumb rule and made it just as dumb, but different. The rule was supposed to be "give both teams a chance," not "give the second team the ball where they have the advantage of knowing exactly where the floor is."

I would be pissed if I was an Eagles fan.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Ending of the Eagles-Titans game was bullshit (stupid overtime rule)

Eagles defense should have stopped them, but yeah NFL ot is ridiculous

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Eagles should’ve put them away in regulation. Eagles Offense should have scored a TD but the “analytics” told them otherwise and the Eagles defense should’ve stopped them and not tried to cheat to do so. Titans could’ve played for a tie but what do they have to lose...go for the win.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

Both rules suck. One quarter. Two TO’s. Whatever the score is, it is. That Peyton rule was rotten grapes.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

4th and 15. Try a 50 yard FG or go for it. The Titans went for it and picked it up somehow. If the Eagles D makes a play, game over. 4th and 15!

People complained that it was pretty much whichever team won the toss won it in OT. Just get in FG range and kick to win. I like this new rule better. Team 1 has to score a TD to end it otherwise team 2 gets a turn on offense.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    4th and 15. Try a 50 yard FG or go for it. The Titans went for it and picked it up somehow. If the Eagles D makes a play, game over. 4th and 15!

People complained that it was pretty much whichever team won the toss won it in OT. Just get in FG range and kick to win. I like this new rule better. Team 1 has to score a TD to end it otherwise team 2 gets a turn on offense.

I didn't mean that one, I meant 4th-and-15 at the Titans' own 30. Even if you are losing, you don't go for it there, that ONLY happened because of the Titans having the ball last.

I mean yeah, there are a ton of ways to say don't complain because you could've won if you did X better throughout the game, you could've won if you did Y better - but that's a pretty crappy way for a tie game to be decided.

You didn't really see it much, maybe only once, but the team on offense also has the advantage of knowing they're playing two-down football on third and longs; just fundamentally changes the things you will do.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

People complained that it was pretty much whichever team won the toss won it in OT. Just get in FG range and kick to win. I like this new rule better.
    Not me. Defense is part of the game too. Well, at least it used to be. Sudden death worked just fine for over 30 years until Saint Manning got "cheated" in the playoffs because the Colts' defense sucked too badly to get a stop.

Want your offense to get an opportunity in OT? Then play defense and get a stop. Or better yet, just win the damn game in regulation.

I agree. I think it is a very good rule change.

SteelersReserve: you say it puts the defense at a disadvantage. True, but so did the previous overtime rule. In fact, it put the defense at a much greater disadvantage because they now have to defend not their own endzone, but their own thirty-five yard line, or lose the game. That absolutely changes the dynamics of the game.

Now, if you want to talk about stupid OT rules, here's a couple: 10 minutes of overtime rather than 15 for player safety. What? Because an extra five minutes matters that much? Or, how about this: if the clock runs out in overtime and the second team to possess the ball is still on their second possession, they automatically go into a second overtime regardless of the score​.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Not me. Defense is part of the game too. Well, at least it used to be. Sudden death worked just fine for over 30 years until Saint Manning got "cheated" in the playoffs because the Colts' defense sucked too badly to get a stop.

Want your offense to get an opportunity in OT? Then play defense and get a stop. Or better yet, just win the damn game in regulation.
    Agreed. The fiction that coin tosses decided OT was the dumbest excuse of a reason I have ever heard, as if defense didn't exist and the idea that the defense couldn't just stop the opposing offenses was non-existent.

What they ought to do is just play the full 15 minutes. No bullshit.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Just a matter of time until they go to penalty kicks.
    All Defense!

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Just a matter of time until they go to penalty kicks.
    Wait. You may be nto something here. End overtime, you bring out field goal kickers. Put them at the 35 yard line. If they both make it, back them up to the 40. Then, the 45... The glory in this is watching salaries skyrocket for kickers. Then, a punter will learn to kick as well. He'll demand to be paid for both positions because reasons. Soon, the hybrid punter/ kicker is the fifth highest position. And, finally, FINALLY, people start to recognize, punters are people too!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post

Another example of "let's fix what isn't broken".

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Since there is no way to please everyone what if they just ended the game at regulation? A tie is a tie.

Senior Member Array title="BnG_Hevn has much to be proud of"> BnG_Hevn's Avatar
    Battleball Champion!

Team that wins the toss advantage: First chance to score. If you want to put a nail in it, go for the TD with 4 down mentality. Otherwise take your chances with a FG

Team that loses the toss advantage: You know what you need to do in order to either win or at least tie the game to keep playing.

Seems fair to me.
    “They say all marriages are made in heaven, but so are thunder and lightning.”
    ― Clint Eastwood

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crow-Magnon View Post
    One quarter. Two TO’s. Whatever the score is, it is.
    #logic
    #real football
    #winner