Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Steelers Season Predictions after Tampa...

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Re: Steelers Season Predictions after Tampa...

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    I called 3 of the past 4 games wrong but in terms of the final record still may not be far off

I overestimated how good the Falcons, Jags and Broncos would be but probably underestimated how good the Chargers and Panthers would be

It will take winning this Sunday against a desperate Ravens team to convince me the 3 wins since the Tampa game provide any real hope for getting through the second half meat grinder of a schedule to make the playoffs

And we all know there is another unfathomably bad performance against a mediocre or bad team lurking in the next 2 months
    Understood.

However Ben tends to thrive as the underdog or in response to a prior loss...

and if he breaks another finger or gets his nose busted (the latter of which happened during a Ravens game I believe?), the odds are arguably even better!

That being said, next to the Pats, I consider the Ravens are toughest foe.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

4 wins in a row and 3 of his games it was against the falcons (by far their worst game of the year for Atlanta),the 5-3 Bengals who was 4-1 at this time and the Ravens in Baltimore.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

I'm pretty sure that anybody in this thread who predicted a poor season will be thrilled to be proven wrong

Having said that, the rest of our schedule *is* pretty brutal; much tougher than the first half. If we make the playoffs, we will definitely deserve to be there.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that anybody in this thread who predicted a poor season will be thrilled to be proven wrong

Having said that, the rest of our schedule *is* pretty brutal; much tougher than the first half. If we make the playoffs, we will definitely deserve to be there.
    I think it's a good thing that the steelers are challenged for the second half since the steelers will be more ready for the playoffs if they are there.

10 wins should be enough to win the division .... the schedule of the bengals and the ravens is not very easy too ....

Senior Member Array title="Steelerchad is a jewel in the rough">

A tough schedule is probably a good thing. Last time we won the SB we had a really tough schedule in 08.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerchad View Post
    A tough schedule is probably a good thing. Last time we won the SB we had a really tough schedule in 08.
    Chad,
    No, definitely not a good thing. It gets the team acclimated to playoff caliber opponents early, but that's about it. Tough schedules just increase the probability of injuries and losses.
    Still... if we make it through this half, we can make it all the way to #7.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    So far I'm only one game off. The next five games are brutal. If they want to prove me wrong here's the spot!
    Your prediction is still holding up. All they have to do is lose 8 in a row!

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

It starts with winning the division. Somewhere back when we were around 1-2-1 I commented that the Steelers would need to win out against their division opponents to have a good shot at winning the division. So far, they have gone 3-0 against the North and just need to get 1 more to complete the run. Its simple, win the north and get to the postseason tournament. Still a good chance at that.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    It starts with winning the division. Somewhere back when we were around 1-2-1 I commented that the Steelers would need to win out against their division opponents to have a good shot at winning the division. So far, they have gone 3-0 against the North and just need to get 1 more to complete the run. Its simple, win the north and get to the postseason tournament. Still a good chance at that.
    Agreed - get one home playoff game and see how it breaks from there.

After spending the second half of last season fixating on getting the #1 seed and a first round bye (followed by the Jax playoff cluster), I am just glad the season is still alive and focused on winning the division.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Next 4 games are a tough stretch, but all winnable games.

CAR - bad on the road and that can possibly be magnified on a short week (Prediction: W, maybe a big W)
    JAX - bought into their offseason hype and severely underachieving. Imploded after their most impressive win this season. However, talent is still there and they could be the toughest game of this stretch. (Prediction: Possible L)
    DEN - Not impressive this year, but better than their record says. Lost a few games they should have won. (Prediction: W, close game. Conner should feast on their weak run D though)
    LAC - Good team. It's a good thing they have to fly cross country to play us. Historically the chargers haven't fared well at Pittsburgh, though I still have nightmares of 94. (Prediction: W, likely a shootout that Ben wins in the end)

I'm calling 3-1 in this stretch

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerchad View Post
    Agreed.

Playing tough opponents will expose our weaknesses and better prepare us for the playoffs.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Steelers Season Predictions after Tampa...

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Next 4 games are a tough stretch, but all winnable games.

CAR - bad on the road and that can possibly be magnified on a short week (Prediction: W, maybe a big W)
    JAX - bought into their offseason hype and severely underachieving. Imploded after their most impressive win this season. However, talent is still there and they could be the toughest game of this stretch. (Prediction: Possible L)
    DEN - Not impressive this year, but better than their record says. Lost a few games they should have won. (Prediction: W, close game. Conner should feast on their weak run D though)
    LAC - Good team. It's a good thing they have to fly cross country to play us. Historically the chargers haven't fared well at Pittsburgh, though I still have nightmares of 94. (Prediction: W, likely a shootout that Ben wins in the end)

I'm calling 3-1 in this stretch
    I’d take 3-1 over that stretch any day. I feel like it’s either gonna go 4-0 or 2-2. Really, all of those games are toss ups...playing in Denver is never good for the Steelers, Carolina on a short week, Jacksonville being Jacksonville and Chargers. Even that Oakland game in Oakland is a questionable one...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Dissolv is a splendid one to behold"> Dissolv's Avatar

Put me down as you want some tough opponents -- in a technical football sense. Wins cover up problems and you don't see as much self-scouting following them. What you do not want is physically damaging games. Sadly, we play with the Ravens and Bengals. Honestly they also play with us, so it can be tough to maintain any AFCN team in good, injury free shape headed to the playoffs.

I am seeing the potential to run the next four. Maybe not head-to-Vegas odds, but enough to get the fan in me hoping. After all, we can finish the Ravens mainly by getting wins. Then it is just the Bengals left to bury.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Game-by-Game 2nd half predictions for the Steelers

Game 9 vs Panthers: The week after road victories against the Ratbirds under Tomlin, Steelers are 1-3, with their lone victory coming at home against a 4-12 Bengals team in 2010. Each time after a win at M&T bank stadium, the Steelers have come out flat (even against Cincy in 2010, they trailed 7-0 late in the 2nd quarter). They've come out flat multiple times the week after home wins as well. Winning this game seems to take a lot of energy and turning right around after a short week will be hard, especially against a solid team like the Panthers. Steelers likely fall behind big early and never recover. Steelers lose 34-20 (5-3-1)

Game 10 @ Jaguars: I probably should chalk this one up as a loss but the revenge factor is in play here, add to the fact that the Steelers defense appears at least improved and that the Jags are in a state of dysfunction and I think this can be a win. Steelers always struggle against Jacksonville, but Jacksonville is not a good team, Steelers tend to win. Offense struggles but the D at least feasts on Bortles this time. Steelers win 16-13 (6-3-1)

Game 11 @ Broncos: I don't trust this team in Denver, too many bad memories. Add this being in the western time zone and playing a bad team on the road and this is likely to be a loss. Steelers lose 24-17. (6-4-1)

Game 12 vs Chargers: This will be a shootout, but against a top tier team at home, Steelers are up to the task. Ben engineers a come-from-behind win and the Steelers win an exciting shootout 38-35. (7-4-1)

Game 13 @ Raiders: I should make this a loss, I should. A stadium where the Steelers haven't won in over 2 decades, on the west coast, a garbage ass team, coming off a big home win the week before. Somehow I am talking myself into the Steelers being good enough to find a way to win and the Raiders being hopelessly incompetent enough to mangle this up. Martavis Bryant drops a game-winning TD in OT and Steelers luck out to win 33-27 in OT (8-4-1)

Game 14 vs Patriots: Steelers get outclassed by the Patriots again. Brady torches Butler's defense again. Not much else to write about. Steelers lose 37-27 (8-5-1)

Game 15 @ Saints: Another QB that has routinely torched the defense at every chance (this time Drew Brees). Brees torches the defense and while Ben and company torch the Saints D, the Saints D forces a couple crucial turnovers. Steelers lose 35-28. (8-6-1)

Game 16 vs Bengals: The division could easily be on the line (unless the Bengals get their shit together and at least reach 10 wins at this point, unlikely). Steelers own the Bengals and this is likely to be on primetime if the division is on the line which will increase Pittsburgh's odds. Steelers D which has had a rough time recently turns it up on Dalton and Ben torches Bengals D. Steelers win 35-17

Final regular season record 9-6-1

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post

So over the last five years, the Steelers have gone a collective 32-8 in the second half of those seasons.

That wreaks of poor coaching on Tomlin's part.....

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    So over the last five years, the Steelers have gone a collective 32-8 in the second half of those seasons.

That wreaks of poor coaching on Tomlin's part.....
    That sounds like a bad "culture environment" of coaching!

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    That sounds like a bad "culture environment" of coaching!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

What's Tomlin's record with the reflective magnum PI shades?

It's time to stop doubting the steelers, at least for the regular season!

Even with our tough schedule, I would be surprised if they do not win 10 games and they do not win the AFC north.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

For all you naysayers, the worst they can do now is 6-9-1. Bummer.