Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Season Predictions after Tampa...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Steelers Season Predictions after Tampa...

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Not really. Perhaps twenty, thirty years ago. Look at the teams last year.

Defensive stats per team

Jags: Yards per Play, Tied for first. yards per pass attempt, 1st. They lose in the AFCCG.
    Vikings: first in rushing yards per attempt. 2nd in yards per pass attempt. Tied for first in yards per play. Lost AFCCG
    Denver: Tied for 3rd in YPP, 1st in Yards per pass attempt. Tied for 17th (middle of the road) in Net yards per pass attempt. Didn't make playoffs.
    Arizona Cardinals: Tied for 3rd in YPP, Tied for 12 in Net Yards Pass per attempt. 3rd in Rush yards per attempt. Didn't make playoffs.

The first two teams had arguably the best defenses in the NFL. Neither of them even made it to the superbowl whereas the Eagles had the overall seventh best in YPP (tied with the Bengals who didn't even make the playoffs, eighth in pass per yard, and seventh in rush yards. Then, there's New England. Tied for 30th in rush D. tied for 20th in pass D, and tied for 28th in pass D. Yet, at the end of the third quarter only 3 points separated them.

It's been pretty clear for quite a while that in today's NFL, offenses win championships. Defenses just have to be middle-of-the-road or better.
    You still need a solid defense. Eagles probably don't win the Super Bowl without their defense. Really can't imagine the Eagles 7th ranked defense vs the Pats 30th ranked defense didn't have much of a difference in Nick Foles beating Tom Brady in a shootout. Also you want to talk about how the NFL's no. 1 total offense and 28th ranked total defense lost in the Super Bowl to a team ranked in the top 10 in both categories while starting their backup QB? Or about how the NFL's no. 1 scoring offense in the Rams last year couldn't make it past the wildcard round?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Watch the darn games is all I can say. No one consistently stops good offenses anymore. For me the most telling defensive stats for playoff and SB teams is turnovers and pressure rate.

Defenses can not win championships on their own anymore. Full stop. But they can help your offense win a championship. How? Generate extra possessions via turnover. And get a limited number of stops on defense via pass rush - the ONLY way to stop a good modern NFL offense.

That means you just have to be around league average on defense. And be able to score a ton of points on offense.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Watch the darn games is all I can say. No one consistently stops good offenses anymore. For me the most telling defensive stats for playoff and SB teams is turnovers and pressure rate.

Defenses can not win championships on their own anymore. Full stop. But they can help your offense win a championship. How? Generate extra possessions via turnover. And get a limited number of stops on defense via pass rush - the ONLY way to stop a good modern NFL offense.

That means you just have to be around league average on defense. And be able to score a ton of points on offense.
    That's why I have hope for this season. I believe the defense can be average at some point. If Ben, Brown and JuJu stay healthy, the offense is going to click.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

I guess we'll find out at the end of the year.

Maybe the defense can look average and even good for a few weeks against weak offenses, but can they be average or better when it matters in the postseason? We saw the defense do good for a stretch of a few weeks against weak Os, but fall apart in the postseason.

The problem starts with the defensive coaching from the D Coordinator down to the position coaches, and as a result, the players aren't playing good. This team will not win a Super Bowl until Keith Butler is replaced with a top tier DC that can run a tight ship. Seen too much of this in 3 seasons and 3 games to think it will magically come together

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Sometimes you need your defense to a big game or just a big play to win

Last year, the Eagles won 15-10 against the Falcons ... Without their defense they lose against the falcons ..... Against the Pats, their defense was bad in the second half, but they made the big play when it was time ... but of course, Foles and their offense deserves credit for this victory

Even against the Vikings, they won 38-7 but the pick 6 that the eagles did at the beginning of the game changed the game...But is the steelers' defense capable of having a big performance in a big game against a good offense with a good QB like the eagles did against the falcons?

For the moment, I do not think.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Agree. Offenses are favored by the rule books and they are so far advanced that defenses can’t keep up and when they do get an upper hand, the league creates a rule to stop them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Anyone still think my 5-10-1 call is way off now?

All it takes is a veteran QB that protects the ball and you can score on this defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post

All it takes is a veteran QB that protects the ball and you can score on this defense.
    Not me, at this pace it is more reasonable than playoffs. It is amazing how bad this team is playing

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I actually still do. I'm not saying that don't suck right now, but I just think a lot of other teams suck too.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I actually still do. I'm not saying that don't suck right now, but I just think a lot of other teams suck too.
    Schedule gets way harder than it’s been...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Schedule gets way harder than it’s been...lol.
    Harder? Level of competition is kind of irrelevant when it comes to the Steelers.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

I'm still sticking with 8-7-1 at best.

This team ain't getting any higher than eight wins this year, and I'm being generous.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Last place in the division is reserved for the Steelers this year.

Harder? Level of competition is kind of irrelevant when it comes to the Steelers.
    This year is different...they’re bottom feeders...lol. Played level to the Browns, lost to the Chiefs, beat the Fraud Tampa,team and then lost the second of many division losses,

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Clubber Lane’s prediction for the 2018 Steelers

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    This year is different...they’re bottom feeders...lol. Played level to the Browns, lost to the Chiefs, beat the Fraud Tampa,team and then lost the second of many division losses,
    All I have on a night like this is........

Go Irish!

Believe me Desert I don't want them to finish 5-10-1 but it's just what I see. I mean our defense is clueless. They stand around waiting for the runner to come to them, they get trucked, it's just so sad after watching the Steelers defenses of the past.

This team needs new coaching. Tomlin needs to go along with his staff. Get rid of "ME FIRST" guys if you need to. How many times did Ben force a bad ball to AB last night?

It's just disheartening to watch.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Believe me Desert I don't want them to finish 5-10-1 but it's just what I see. I mean our defense is clueless. They stand around waiting for the runner to come to them, they get trucked, it's just so sad after watching the Steelers defenses of the past.

This team needs new coaching. Tomlin needs to go along with his staff. Get rid of "ME FIRST" guys if you need to. How many times did Ben force a bad ball to AB last night?

It's just disheartening to watch.
    So far the worst season since 8-8 in 2013 (0-4 start that bottomed out for me at 2-6 with the 55-31 blowout loss in New England that confirmed Troy was done as far as being able to cover anyone). Unlike 2013 this season has the vibe of falling apart rather than rebounding.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...s/pit/2013.htm

If the Steelers go 5-10-1 you might get your wish if this comment by Ray Fittipaldo in his P-G chat after the Chiefs loss pans out

In your true opinion. If they go say 5-10-1, chances than Tomlin is finally out
    Ray Fittipaldo: If they go 5-10-1 he might get canned.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201809170086

Are you still sticking with your 5-10-1 prediction?

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

10-5-1...3rd seed in the AFC.

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    10-5-1...3rd seed in the AFC.
    I think that's doable even if they lose Sunday, which I don't think they will.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

We've got to keep in mind that our schedule will be tougher in the second half of the season than it has been up to now. Our current record was against 4 teams with losing records and 3 with wining records or ties. Of that latter group, we've only beaten one. Moving forward, we face 3 losers and 6 winners.
    Best,
    -Slashy
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

The way I see the rest of the schedule is a bit different. I look at it as not what team we play, but what QB plays our defense and can Ben & company keep up and outscore them.

Week#4: Joe Flacco. Ravens D vs Ben = Loss. (HOME)
    Week#5: Matt Ryan. Atlanta D vs Ben = Win. (HOME)
    Wee k#6: Andy Dalton. Bengals D vs Ben = Loss. (AWAY)
    Week#7: Baker Mayfield (R). Browns D vs Ben = Win. (HOME)
    Week#8: Joe Flacco. Ravens D vs Ben = Loss. (AWAY)
    Week#9 : Cam Newton. Panthers D vs Ben = Loss. (HOME)
    Week#10: Blake Bortles. Jags D (on road) vs Ben = Loss (close game high scoring). (AWAY)
    Week#11: Case Keenum. Broncos D vs Ben = Loss. (AWAY)
    Week#12: Phillip Rivers: Chargers D vs Ben = Loss (close high scoring game, Rivers absolutely shreds our secondary). (HOME)
    Week#13: Derek Carr: Ben vs Raiders D = Win. (AWAY)
    Week#14: Tom Brady. LOL, we all know how this always ends = Loss. (HOME)
    Week#15: Drew Brees. We very well might see the first 600+ yard passing game ever. Loss. (AWAY)
    Week#16: Andy Dalton. Home game to save face = Win. (HOME)

5-10-1
    So far I'm only one game off. The next five games are brutal. If they want to prove me wrong here's the spot!

So far I'm only one game off. The next five games are brutal. If they want to prove me wrong here's the spot!
    So you're sticking with it............ OK

So you're sticking with it............ OK
    I might go 7-8-1 but that's my final offer!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Baltimore and Jacksonville worry me the most. Baltimore is always tough to beat in their house, and we always seem to shit the bed whenever playing at JAX. The one thing going for that game is the hot weather won't be a factor, being a night game.

I have bad memories of playing the Raiders in LA as well. They're a dumpster fire of a team, but so were most of the times we've played them and ended up losing. I personally hate John Gruden and hope Juju goes for 150 yards and a couple scores, and knocks out their starting linebacker

Starting at this point is teams they have recently not done well against. I originally had them starting 6-1 and finishing 9-7.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel 9-26-18

Vs Ravens W
    Vs Falcons W
    at Bengals W
    vs Browns W
    at Ravens L
    Vs Panthers W
    At Jaguars L
    At Broncos W
    vs Chargers W
    At Raiders W
    Vs Patriots W
    At Saints L
    Vs Bengals W

11-4-1

In case you folks haven't noticed, the NFL is a game of 3-4 seasons within a season.

Season 1 was bad, but the pieces are in place to get hot. I believe that even the D has the potential to be middle of the road; which means the O can carry them.

IIRC, the Patriots won the Super Bowl with the 29th ranked defense a couple years ago.
    GBMelbount 9-26-18

I am in agreement.

I think the defense (barring a lot of injuries) could gel and be decent.

Still concerned about LB depth.
    Thankful the Steelers got it together before mid season!

While there is still half a season left, the Steelers to tend to finish strong and their young talent is starting to gel.

Very excited about the rest of the season!
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Vs Ravens W
    Vs Falcons L
    at Bengals L
    vs Browns W
    at Ravens L
    Vs Panthers W
    At Jaguars L
    At Broncos L
    vs Chargers W
    At Raiders W
    Vs Patriots L
    At Saints L
    Vs Bengals W

Or flip the Chargers to a L and the Falcons to a W if you prefer - doubtful the Steelers win both shootouts

If the Steelers are out of the playoff race in week 17 and the Bengals are playing for something that is another potential L

At my most optimistic I do not see only three more losses on that schedule
    I called 3 of the past 4 games wrong but in terms of the final record still may not be far off

I overestimated how good the Falcons, Jags and Broncos would be but probably underestimated how good the Chargers and Panthers would be

It will take winning this Sunday against a desperate Ravens team to convince me the 3 wins since the Tampa game provide any real hope for getting through the second half meat grinder of a schedule to make the playoffs

And we all know there is another unfathomably bad performance against a mediocre or bad team lurking in the next 2 months