Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bell's Holdout Reaching Point of Career-Damaging Consequences

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Bell's Holdout Reaching Point of Career-Damaging Consequences

Le'Veon Bell's Holdout has Reached Point of Career-Damaging Consequences

By Jeff Diamond

Le'Veon Bell's holdout from the Steelers, an illogical, costly and self-induced absence that's a major misjudgment of potential market value by the player and his agent, is one of the most ludicrous in NFL history.
    I saw a lot of holdouts during my NFL contract negotiating days and was a party to many. But the Pittsburgh running back, whose holdout dragged on through the preseason and is now into the third week of the regular season, has done major damage to his career just in the past two weeks.

MORE: Explaining Le'Veon Bell's holdoutFor whatever reason — supposedly an unsatisfactory amount of guaranteed money — Bell in the offseason turned down a reported five-year, $70 million deal (with $33 million guaranteed) that would have made him the NFL's highest-paid back. After the July 15 deadline for franchise-tagged players to sign long-term deals passed, Bell's only option for this season became the one-year, $14.5 million franchise tender.I predicted in July that Bell would report to the team the week before the season opener, and that "no player is going to give up $853,000 per week."Wrong and wrong.I misjudged the ill-advised intentions of Bell and his agent, Adisa Bakari, who has been making inflammatory statements that Bell might wait until Week 11 to report in order to limit his exposure to injury prior to free agency and, in the process, forego $8.53 million.

Bell and Bakari are living in a fantasy land if they believe the 26-year-old will make up that money in his next contract.

MORE: NFL's highest-paid playersBoth the statements from the agent and Bell's absence into the regular season say several things to NFL team owners, general managers and coaches. As a former GM and team president, I first would consider the brain cramp that is Bell giving up so much money each week.
    Then I'd think about the lack of commitment. As Bell frolics in Miami Beach on jet skis and in album-recording sessions, his Steelers teammates are struggling through an 0-1-1 start highlighted by diva wide receiver Antonio Brown's truancy.

Read more: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...8yC?li=BBnb7Kz

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Re: Bell's Holdout Reaching Point of Career-Damaging Consequences

Who?

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Who?

Google him. You might find something.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Good thing he has a budding career in music to fall back on...

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

I can't wait to see him Mike Wallace out on another team
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Senior Member Array title="saturdaysarebetter will become famous soon enough">

Trade him to football Siberia, a team we don't face that has a terrible offensive line and a terrible quarterback and see how well he does.

More and more people seem to be saying that this is a huge mistake that he is making. Many are former agents, or people that worked in NFL organizations.

All he needs is one team to step up and give him a huge deal. I just think the odds of that keep going down the longer he stays away from the game.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Although agent Bakari shot his mouth off after Labor Day when Bell failed to report, I disagree with the article's implication that Bakari's advice is part of this cluster and being heeded by Bell.

I think not reporting to cash 16 checks is a Le'Veon decision and Bakari is going along to keep the client.

Of course when the offers in the off season do not match Gurley $$$, Bell will blame Bakari and probably fire him - but that's the breaks

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Assuming we make the playoffs, it will be interesting to see if LB sits out the post season or not. He would obviously not want to risk injury but if he sits out that will show other teams that he cares more for himself than his team and the ultimate goal of winning a championship which would concern me as a GM and could hurt his stock even more..
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
    Assuming we make the playoffs, it will be interesting to see if LB sits out the post season or not. He would obviously not want to risk injury but if he sits out that will show other teams that he cares more for himself than his team and the ultimate goal of winning a championship which would concern me as a GM and could hurt his stock even more..
    He will sit out every game including the postseason if he's fat or stoned, or both. Showing up out of shape and playing like crap will hurt his chances of a big contract even more.

You don't want your most recent tape to be 2 yards a carry and looking like you've lost that special something. He is not playing at all this year, mark it down.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

The"concrete cobbler" Array title="cold-hard-steel has a brilliant future"> cold-hard-steel's Avatar

Maybe Bell will invite the o-line and A.B. over for some ski jetting after the game or before they head back to Pittsburgh.
    Two bags are guarenteed to fit all sizes ,or your money back. If you are not completely satisfied call 1-800-GOO-DHELL We show 5 bags to choose from,most problems only need 2 bags .

Quote Originally Posted by cold-hard-steel View Post
    Maybe Bell will invite the o-line and A.B. over for some ski jetting after the game or before they head back to Pittsburgh.

Maybe a little Truth or Dare?

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Don't tell that to Bell's possible spokesman and professional jags homer Maurice Jones Drew who believes Bell should hold out

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Don't tell that to Bell's possible spokesman and professional jags homer Maurice Jones Drew who believes Bell should hold out
    Or Booger McFarland who thinks the Steelers' FO is at fault and the team should have just "paid the man." Never mind they already tried to make him the highest paid RB in the league and he turned it down.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Does he have that monocle ready for that first down run?

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

I wonder if Dingbat will like any Steeler losses on Instagram this week.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post

Bell is a man of many layers.....

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Bell ? Let him walk. My prediction on Bell.....he'll sit out until week 10, then comes in to practice, shows he's in shape and show's his shit during the week---then develops a odd injury of some sort on Saturday where he won't be able to play on Sunday. This will happen every week until the end of season, that way he'll be in shape to go to another team.

Senior Member Array title="JnK has much to be proud of">

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Or Booger McFarland who thinks the Steelers' FO is at fault and the team should have just "paid the man." Never mind they already tried to make him the highest paid RB in the league and he turned it down.
    Couldn't believe my ears last night. Here's a guy who apparently has no clue. Who names their kid 'Booger' anyhow?

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Exactly, these idiots always leave out pertinent facts. Just like the few who stick up for kaepernic, they fail to acknowledge he opted out of his contract. Poor decisions and then blame others.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

I still don't think there are many teams that will pay Bell what he wants. Maybe I'm wrong

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

The New York Jets are interested in Bell...The faster that Bell will leave the steelers, the better will be for us.

On the field, we are fine without him on offense. 29 PPG, despite the atrocious first game by Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    The New York Jets are interested in Bell...
    Huge media market would be right up his alley. The NYC media is RUTHLESS when they don't love you anymore, however...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I’d want a high draft pick and a defensive player.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

I’d want a high draft pick and a defensive player.
    or a DC!

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Huge media market would be right up his alley. The NYC media is RUTHLESS when they don't love you anymore, however...
    It's not about the big market or the TV audience. It's about hittin' up the nightclub.

New York, L.A., Miami, or bust.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    It's not about the big market or the TV audience. It's about hittin' up the nightclub.

New York, L.A., Miami, or bust.
    You're totally right. But "hittin' up the nightclub" that was basically this:

I kid, I kid. Bottom line, is you likely have the best take on where things are out now. Once he didn't report for Week 1...I came over to the SteelReserve side of the fence!

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Bell played his last down as a Steeler. He is trade bait to the highest bidder outside of the AFC Central.
    All Defense!