Thread: I Miss Steeler Football

Junior Member Array title="TRASHMAN is a jewel in the rough">

I Miss Steeler Football

I grew up watching the Steelers in the 1990’s and early 2000’s. I fell in love with a team that symbolized hard work, good character, and smashmouth football. I remember players like Jerome Bettis. I remember players like Hines Ward. I remember players like Joey Porter. When was the last time you saw a Steeler wave a Terrible Towel? When was the last time you saw positive leadership? When was the last time you saw Pittsburgh be Pittsburgh? This team has lost their identity. Bell is a selfish sellout who bleeds green rather than black and gold. Brown is turning into a worse version of Terrell Owens. Ben shakes his head at guys he throws bad passes to. Tomlin turns a blind eye to our Star Player tweeting a passive aggressive notion to be traded. Would this crap fly when we were Men of Steel rather than Men of Drama? If it were up to me I’d trade the cancer that is Leveon Bell and Antonio Brown. I’d find a coach who is ready to change the culture of this team. For the first time ever, a part of me wants the Steelers to lose on Sunday. We need a wake up call. I don’t care that it’s only 3 games in the season because we’ve been limping into the playoffs year after year on individual talent rather than being a great team. I just really miss watching Steeler Football.

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: I Miss Steeler Football

Quote Originally Posted by TRASHMAN View Post
    I grew up watching the Steelers in the 1990’s and early 2000’s. I fell in love with a team that symbolized hard work, good character, and smashmouth football. I remember players like Jerome Bettis. I remember players like Hines Ward. I remember players like Joey Porter. When was the last time you saw a Steeler wave a Terrible Towel? When was the last time you saw positive leadership? When was the last time you saw Pittsburgh be Pittsburgh? .
    When was the last time you saw Bill Cowher?

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I do too but let's face it, with the new league rules, there's no more "Steelers Football". It is what we got now, a borderline flag football passing league.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I think I understand the sentimentality of this post, and can sort of relate...

But the Steelers won zero Super Bowls in the 90s and very early 2000s.

You’re basically talking about the pre-Ben era.

In the Ben era the Steelers have been to 3 Super Bowls and won 2.

And when you talk about AB being a cancer... sorry, you’re just objectively wrong.

He is the hardest working receiver since Jerry Rice. Over the last 5 years AB has shown that he could very well be one of the greatest WRs of all time, if not THE greatest.

He’s EVERYTHING anyone could want in a football player... except perhaps silence, but honestly that would probably make him worse.

He has a passion, work ethic, and excellence at his job that I’m guessing none of us will come close to.

It is not for us to say he is a “cancer.” His teammates think he’s an inspiration. His teammates are right.

We don’t know exactly what happened Monday. The coaches have nothing to fear about AB’s commitment to his team and to his craft... and neither do we.

AB is NOT a problem. If there is a solution he’ll be a HUGE part of it.

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post

In the Ben era the Steelers have been to 3 Super Bowls and won 2.

And when you talk about AB being a cancer... sorry, you’re just objectively wrong.

He is the hardest working receiver since Jerry Rice. Over the last 5 years AB has shown that he could very well be one of the greatest WRs of all time, if not THE greatest.

He’s EVERYTHING anyone could want in a football player... except perhaps silence, but honestly that would probably make him worse.

He has a passion, work ethic, and excellence at his job that I’m guessing none of us will come close to.

It is not for us to say he is a “cancer.” His teammates think he’s an inspiration. His teammates are right.

We don’t know exactly what happened Monday. The coaches have nothing to fear about AB’s commitment to his team and to his craft... and neither do we.

AB is NOT a problem. If there is a solution he’ll be a HUGE part of it.
    Can he play D?

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Terrell Owens?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

You make some good points, but other points you are just wrong. AB a worse version of T.O.? Yeah he tweets some stupid things sometimes and not reporting Monday was bad, but worse version of T.O. is stretching far enough for silly puddy to come apart. Also they can't lose this Sunday because they don't play Sunday

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
    Can he play D?
    Probably. But we don’t even want him returning punts.

Actually, it would be interesting to see AB play corner in practice to see how well he could cover. Not interesting enough to risk injury, but interesting.

But I have no doubt that AB could be a shutdown corner if he really switched positions and practiced. I know that’s not exactly the trade off you want.

But aren’t all corners just WR who can’t catch well enough to be WRs?

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

I remember players like Joey Porter.
    I stopped reading at this point.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
    Can he play D?
    All kidding aside, if there was anybody in today's game that could be a two-way player, it would be AB.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    All kidding aside, if there was anybody in today's game that could be a two-way player, it would be AB.
    JJ Watt.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    JJ Watt.
    More than a defensive guy playing a few offensive snaps here and there (and vice versa), I'm thinking more like the old school 60-minute players like Chuck Bednarik who rarely came off the field during a game.

I'd be willing to bet AB could do Burns' job better than he can.

Joey Porter was a great teammate and a sack machine! He took the media pressure off of Ben’s first super bowl. He fired everyone up. I never questioned Browns skills but I watch his antics on the sideline. He throws a hissy fit when he’s wide open and throws a water jug. What statement does that make to your quarterback and the other receivers? How about when you rather celebrate on Facebook live rather than with your teammates? Not showing up to the team cause you lost? Yelling at your offensive coordinator because JuJu was rolling. Tweeting to reports to trade him to see what happens... Nobody says anything to him because he’s AB. He’s untouchable because of his abilities. But the man needs a lesson in teamanship. He’s the face of this franchise and it’s turning ugly. So yes he is acting like TO.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post

In the Ben era the Steelers have been to 3 Super Bowls and won 2...................
    The Steelers have won in the Ben era when there were Cowher players still around. Now that they have an all Tomlin defense they aren't winning.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    More than a defensive guy playing a few offensive snaps here and there (and vice versa), I'm thinking more like the old school 60-minute players like Chuck Bednarik who rarely came off the field during a game.

I'd be willing to bet AB could do Burns' job better than he can.
    AB probably could play better then Burns.Would love to see AB on D then Burns. Burns is worthless and can't tackle or cover. He has good speed though so he can interfere with whoever he covers.

The"concrete cobbler" Array title="cold-hard-steel has a brilliant future"> cold-hard-steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tom444 View Post
    The Steelers have won in the Ben era when there were Cowher players still around. Now that they have an all Tomlin defense they aren't winning.
    Cower did not have a "Butler" for his DC.
    Two bags are guarenteed to fit all sizes ,or your money back. If you are not completely satisfied call 1-800-GOO-DHELL We show 5 bags to choose from,most problems only need 2 bags .

A Steeler/Patriot who could have played both ways: Mike Vrabel

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I miss dominant defense. This team does not have that right now, the defense is filled with soft players and idiots

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

I grew up watching the Steelers in the 1990’s and early 2000’s. I fell in love with a team that symbolized hard work, good character, and smashmouth football. I remember players like Jerome Bettis. I remember players like Hines Ward. I remember players like Joey Porter. When was the last time you saw a Steeler wave a Terrible Towel? When was the last time you saw positive leadership? When was the last time you saw Pittsburgh be Pittsburgh? This team has lost their identity. Bell is a selfish sellout who bleeds green rather than black and gold. Brown is turning into a worse version of Terrell Owens. Ben shakes his head at guys he throws bad passes to. Tomlin turns a blind eye to our Star Player tweeting a passive aggressive notion to be traded. Would this crap fly when we were Men of Steel rather than Men of Drama? If it were up to me I’d trade the cancer that is Leveon Bell and Antonio Brown. I’d find a coach who is ready to change the culture of this team. For the first time ever, a part of me wants the Steelers to lose on Sunday. We need a wake up call. I don’t care that it’s only 3 games in the season because we’ve been limping into the playoffs year after year on individual talent rather than being a great team. I just really miss watching Steeler Football.
    A major factor in Joey Porter being released in 2007 reportedly was his dissatisfaction with his contract and being a potential distraction for incoming HC Tomlin

Although no one on the Steelers would say so, the threat by Porter to hold out last summer played a factor in his release. Team officials did not want to burden new head coach Mike Tomlin with that kind of threat to his authority. Even though Porter was scheduled to make $5 million in the final year of his deal, he was unhappy with his contract and there was a chance he might boycott some of the minicamps and then training camp had he remained with the team.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/200703020174

Man of Steel Hines Ward called out his QB who was coming off a Super Bowl winning season in a Sunday Night Football interview for not manning up and playing after sustaining a concussion the week before while adding the locker room was split over whether Ben should have played

Here is what Steelers' wide receiver Hines Ward said in an interview with NBC that aired Sunday night about quarterback Ben Roethlisberger not playing against the Ravens. It has been edited for brevity:

'I could see some players or teammates questioning, like, 'It's just a concussion. I've played with a concussion before.' It's almost like a 50-50 toss-up in the locker room. Should he play• Shouldn't he play• It's really hard to say. I've been out there dinged up. The following week, got right back out there.
    'Ben practiced all week. Then to find out that he's still having some headaches and not playing and it came down to the doctors didn't feel that they were going to clear him or not. It's hard to say. I've lied to a couple of doctors saying I'm straight, I feel good when I know that I'm not really straight. I don't think guys really worry about the future while they're playing currently in the NFL.

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers...nts-concussion

It ended well for him in 2005, but Bettis said he faked an injury to avoid being cut in 2000

Former Pittsburgh Steelers star Jerome Bettis, in a new book to be published in early September, says he faked a training camp injury in 2000 to avoid getting cut by the team.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2986809

Drama with the Steelers goes back to at least the 70s teams
    Thanks for the memories

All I’m saying is the Steelers lost a lot of games in the 90s and 2000s but they never lost their identity. I hope we can find the smashmouth spirit again on Monday.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    A major factor in Joey Porter being released in 2007 reportedly was his dissatisfaction with his contract and being a potential distraction for incoming HC Tomlin

Although no one on the Steelers would say so, the threat by Porter to hold out last summer played a factor in his release. Team officials did not want to burden new head coach Mike Tomlin with that kind of threat to his authority. Even though Porter was scheduled to make $5 million in the final year of his deal, he was unhappy with his contract and there was a chance he might boycott some of the minicamps and then training camp had he remained with the team.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/200703020174

Man of Steel Hines Ward called out his QB who was coming off a Super Bowl winning season in a Sunday Night Football interview for not manning up and playing after sustaining a concussion the week before while adding the locker room was split over whether Ben should have played

Here is what Steelers' wide receiver Hines Ward said in an interview with NBC that aired Sunday night about quarterback Ben Roethlisberger not playing against the Ravens. It has been edited for brevity:

'I could see some players or teammates questioning, like, 'It's just a concussion. I've played with a concussion before.' It's almost like a 50-50 toss-up in the locker room. Should he play• Shouldn't he play• It's really hard to say. I've been out there dinged up. The following week, got right back out there.
    'Ben practiced all week. Then to find out that he's still having some headaches and not playing and it came down to the doctors didn't feel that they were going to clear him or not. It's hard to say. I've lied to a couple of doctors saying I'm straight, I feel good when I know that I'm not really straight. I don't think guys really worry about the future while they're playing currently in the NFL.

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers...nts-concussion

It ended well for him in 2005, but Bettis said he faked an injury to avoid being cut in 2000

Former Pittsburgh Steelers star Jerome Bettis, in a new book to be published in early September, says he faked a training camp injury in 2000 to avoid getting cut by the team.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2986809

Drama with the Steelers goes back to at least the 70s teams
    Didn't know that about Porter. Not surprised. My favorite is when his dogs ate a mini-horse - http://www.post-gazette.com/local/no...s/200609210280.

I remember Ward's interview. He threw Ben under the bus and then backed up and rolled over him again! It was incredible.

I should read that Bettis book. His stories are incredible. I mean look at this:

""For some reason, Coach would never really commit fully to Kordell ... and because of that, we had no consistent leadership from the quarterback position," Bettis wrote."

That's some odd coaching right there. Cowher Power!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

All I’m saying is the Steelers lost a lot of games in the 90s and 2000s but they never lost their identity. I hope we can find the smashmouth spirit again on Monday.
    I guess you missed the whole thing where Tommy Maddox was the quarterback and the Steelers went "... into the playoffs as an aerial circus-type passing attack..." in 2002. I remember when many were upset because the Steelers stopped playing "Steelers football".

Or the Chan Gailey tenure where everyone freaked out about 5 wide sets and moving away from Steeler football?

You've bought a myth lock, stock, and barrel. Don't let it upset you when you find out it isn't real. Just try and enjoy the ride.

One last one that I feel like everyone forgets about -- just how bad Joe Walton was at the end of the Noll era -- https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...walton-history

Not sure it pertains here but I really think Emmanuel Sanders is a player the Steelers should’ve tried harder to keep. I miss having him around and he’s having a pretty nice start to this season.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

In a thread with this title I think it is important to look at the big picture of exactly what "Steeler Football" is. The ONLY point I can agree with from the opening paragraph is the team aspect. We do have some talented players. The offense seems to work VERY WELL as a team. The defense has not gelled as a team. Changes in coordinator, players changing positions, new players to the team, some guys just not up to the talent level(physical or mental) that they need to be. "Communication problems" has become the buzz word. Every time a player on this defense gets burned they blame bad communication. Funny how the other 9-10 players knew their assignment on that play. I think the blame for this lazy looking defense falls squarely on the players. Lambert and company didn't need perfect on field communication with the DC to make a tackle. Troy and Ryan didn't need the DC to tell them how to cover the back end or blitz, they seemed to know how to play the game. I just want an end to the whining and just play football. That goes for the fans, coaches, and players.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by cold-hard-steel View Post
    Cower did not have a "Butler" for his DC.
    Butler would have never been hired by Cowher as DC ...

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Welp... We had a healthy dose of "Steelers football" last night. Good run stuffing, blitzing, and occasional success in the secondary with breakups and turnovers. Solid "smashmouth" physical defense, like God and nature intended.

The fact that we almost lost this game should illustrate why we don't play this way anymore. Too many penalties, too much exposure to the secondary. The game and talent pool have changed and the Steelers have been forced to adapt.

Still... I'll take the win
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland