Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keith Butler Admits Steelers Had Two Different Coverages On Kelce Touchdown

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Keith Butler Admits Steelers Had Two Different Coverages On Kelce Touchdown

James Harrison said a large part of miscommunication in 2017 came from the Pittsburgh Steelers defense playing two different coverages. That problem evidently isn’t solved based on what Keith Butler admitted in speaking with reporters this afternoon

https://steelersdepot.com/2018/09/ke...lce-touchdown/

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Keith Butler Admits Steelers Had Two Different Coverages On Kelce Touchdown

I'm not angry or upset, I'm not even humored as a defense mechanism.

Right now, I'm just waiting for Butler to lose his job. Why they thought that he's was a good fit in Pittsburgh after the Jacksonville debacle is beyond me, but hey, maybe it needs to happen.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Remember the Gay Meter?

We something clever like that for Butler.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Remember the Gay Meter?

"The Butler Did It" Counter.

Every time the Defense looks unprepared, confused, or out of whack.

"The Butler Did It" +1.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

I'm not even going to argue the point with Butler. We have an established pattern where either 1) a DB leaves his assignment or 2) the DBs don't seem to know what their assignment is.
    This tends to manifest itself when the senior DB is out of the game. It still comes back to Butler for failing to prep the players. There must always be a chain of command; a single player calling the plays. What he says goes, even if it's the wrong coverage. Likewise, all players must understand their assignment and the assignments of their neighbors so there is is no confusion. That way, the entire defense doesn't hinge on the health of one player.

Butler has failed in the "command and control" aspect of his job. Not saying he needs fired, necessarily... but he needs to do a better job at this.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

It's either Butler's lack of abilty to call plays, or they're putting too many dumb players on the field. It's likely both.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Playing two defenses at the same time.....that takes some skill.
    Last edited by stillers4me; 09-21-2018 at 05:29 AM.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    It's either Butler's lack of abilty to call plays, or they're putting too many dumb players on the field. It's likely both.

said it so many times in so many threads ...

Listen to Butler talk in any interview or draft pick press conference ... he is SLOW to process a thought and get it out .... and thats a no pressure situation

now take that same basic inability to get out a thought into play calling ....

now consider he has 7-10 seconds to make a call because once he does the green dot has to relay that call to the defense on the field ....

my argument is Butler takes to long to make the call and then the green dot doesn't have time to get the call in and for all to hear it ... so

summation ....

Butler sucks
    Team doesnt get the call
    green dot and guys around him are playing the called play ... everyone else if left guessing because they didn't get the relayed msg
    opposition then scores points
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    said it so many times in so many threads ...

Listen to Butler talk in any interview or draft pick press conference ... he is SLOW to process a thought and get it out .... and thats a no pressure situation

now take that same basic inability to get out a thought into play calling ....

now consider he has 7-10 seconds to make a call because once he does the green dot has to relay that call to the defense on the field ....

my argument is Butler takes to long to make the call and then the green dot doesn't have time to get the call in and for all to hear it ... so

summation ....

Butler sucks
    Team doesnt get the call
    green dot and guys around him are playing the called play ... everyone else if left guessing because they didn't get the relayed msg
    opposition then scores points
    It's just a mess that I'm tired of seeing. Many thought Mitchell was a part of the issue, and.... it's still happening.

If it continues he should be gone. Let Bradley, or better yet Tomlin call the plays
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    Playing two defenses at the same time.....that takes some skill.

Sent from my SM-T807V using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

The big mystery of 2018, why wasn't Keith Butler fired last offseason?

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    The big mystery of 2018, why wasn't Keith Butler fired last offseason?
    Because the Rooneys promised him the DC job and they would look like dumb asses if they did. So, this will continue until they find another scapegoat.

It is both, Butler is incompetent, but you also have complete idiot Artie Burns as one of the corners and Bud Dupree whose knowledge of football is limited to running up the field and getting pushed away from the QB

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    "The Butler Did It" Counter.

Every time the Defense looks unprepared, confused, or out of whack.

"The Butler Did It" +1.
    It has to be spelled Buttler though.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

So basically none of the problems from last season have been fixed this season. Thanks for the confirmation...

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Remember the Gay Meter?

The butt meter?

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

It has to be spelled Buttler though.
    I like where you guys are going with this. Can we measure the Buttler meter in increments of "Jeeves"?

I'd say on a scale of 1-10 Jeeves, that Butler is currently around 7. Another terrible performance this week and he could climb to 9 Jeeves, which is risk of imminent dismissal. If his defense balls out, then he may take things down to 6Jeeves.

- - - Updated - - -

Or we could use Benson, Alfred or Belvedere's as well.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I'm all in support of the meter. But I really think we need to resign ourselves to the fact that Butler is here to stay - at least through the season.

No one else on the defensive staff could get promoted if he is dismissed. Frazier and Bradley are in Year 1. Porter and Olsavsky are not DC material. So that leaves Tomlin. If you think "distractions" are an issue now, imagine a sideline where a HC was trying to call defensive plays and monitor his first year OC?

So that just leaves the current set-up. It is what it is.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

It's just a mess that I'm tired of seeing. Many thought Mitchell was a part of the issue, and.... it's still happening.

If it continues he should be gone. Let Bradley, or better yet Tomlin call the plays

Please, do not have Tomlin call plays. That was a disaster last season.
    Hater = Realist

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Getting rid of Butler won't solve the problem. The team will remain confused, unprepared and undisciplined.

I guess we can blame the punter.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Remember the Gay Meter?

Why not just use the same thing but with a lower-case "g"
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I'm all in support of the meter. But I really think we need to resign ourselves to the fact that Butler is here to stay - at least through the season.

No one else on the defensive staff could get promoted if he is dismissed. Frazier and Bradley are in Year 1. Porter and Olsavsky are not DC material. So that leaves Tomlin. If you think "distractions" are an issue now, imagine a sideline where a HC was trying to call defensive plays and monitor his first year OC?

So that just leaves the current set-up. It is what it is.
    I agree that too many new coaches around to let Butler go. I personally am still not sure Fichtner knows what he is doing as an OC either.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I personally am still not sure Fichtner knows what he is doing as an OC either.
    Having the OC be the QB's caddy works if the QB is Peyton Manning in his prime - we shall see if that works out for the Steelers

The opening series in the first quarter debacle of the KC game were not encouraging
    Thanks for the memories

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Talent just isn’t there at this stage but I’ll be honest, I’d feel better with Bradley managing this group than I do with Butler at the moment.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Having the OC be the QB's caddy works if the QB is Peyton Manning in his prime - we shall see if that works out for the Steelers

The opening series in the first quarter debacle of the KC game were not encouraging
    Agreed, but there was a time in the KC game where they showed Fichtner on the sidelines talking to a player and he looked more panicked than a guy that had a plan in mind of how to adapt. He looked about as confident as the albino kid that was caddy for Happy Gilmore.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Let's really raise some hell and let Joey take the reigns.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Agreed, but there was a time in the KC game where they showed Fichtner on the sidelines talking to a player and he looked more panicked than a guy that had a plan in mind of how to adapt. He looked about as confident as the albino kid that was caddy for Happy Gilmore.
    I was at the game so I did not see that (or AB acting out on the sidelines)

Instead I watched the Keystone Kops fire drill of trying to get the correct defensive personnel on and off the field along with players acting out after yet another blown coverage - that looked far worse in person than what I have seen on TV
    Thanks for the memories

Why not just hire an outside guy to be DC? Teams do it all the time? They don't have to promote someone from within (and they probably shouldn't either)

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

This season is probably a wash, but keep in mind the noticable difference Munch made with the O line.