Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keith Butler Admits Steelers Had Two Different Coverages On Kelce Touchdown

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Keith Butler Admits Steelers Had Two Different Coverages On Kelce Touchdown

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    Let's really raise some hell and let Joey take the reigns.
    I would looove it. Shit would get sideways and real crazy real quick!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I would looove it. Shit would get sideways and real crazy real quick!!
    Have a feeling it would be more of the same. I don't really see the LBs being coached up.

Not an indictment of Porter either - Mean Joe was at best a mediocre DL coach as well.

Time to get some new blood at DC from outside the organization, IMO.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Why not just hire an outside guy to be DC? Teams do it all the time? They don't have to promote someone from within (and they probably shouldn't either)
    The Steelers looked outside (thank God) and got Munchak. Why not for DC? Question is, who?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Have a feeling it would be more of the same. I don't really see the LBs being coached up.

Not an indictment of Porter either - Mean Joe was at best a mediocre DL coach as well.
    Lol. I’m not talking about the coaching I’m just talking about the drama and mayhem that would ensue on and off field.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Lol. I’m not talking about the coaching I’m just talking about the drama and mayhem that would ensue on and off field.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    The Steelers looked outside (thank God) and got Munchak. Why not for DC? Question is, who?
    Jim Leonhard - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Leonhard

Runs an attacking 3-4 at UW and his guys play hard, rally to the ball, and seem fundamentally sound.

I realize that I am highly biased towards all things UW, but still watch them play sometime. Especially the quality snaps he gets out of his LBs and CBs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Jim Leonhard - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Leonhard

Runs an attacking 3-4 at UW and his guys play hard, rally to the ball, and seem fundamentally sound.

I realize that I am highly biased towards all things UW, but still watch them play sometime. Especially the quality snaps he gets out of his LBs and CBs.
    Is that the Leonard that played for the Bills and Ravens? I think he played elsewhere as well?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Is that the Leonard that played for the Bills and Ravens? I think he played elsewhere as well?
    The same.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

If you think yelling at each other on the sidelines after another botched play leading to an 80-yard touchdown for the opponents is entertaining, I guess. Otherwise I'd prefer all the drama and mayhem to be on the field or at the strip club.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Played for the Jets during the Revis Island era.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post

Time to get some new blood at DC from outside the organization, IMO.

Agreed 100% It's ok to hire from inside but at least bring in some compitition for all the positions available. There's a very good chance you'll find someone better than the homegrown buck tooth, 4 string banjo players in house.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Agreed 100% It's ok to hire from inside but at least bring in some compitition for all the positions available. There's a very good chance you'll find someone better than the homegrown buck tooth, 4 string banjo players in house.
    What do you have against Banjo??? I loved this intro.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    What do you have against Banjo??? I loved this intro.

I'm speaking of a closed clan mindset above. As for the banjo, love them when played well.

The late great Mike Seeger & Doc Watson are two great American Root Music icons that I love. Incidentally, Mike Seeger was the younger brother of Pete Seeger

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

"With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    Let's really raise some hell and let Joey take the reigns.
    Sarcasm?
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I'd take Jim Leonhard. I always like how hard Wisconsin's defense plays. There will be a risk in making a college coordinator a first time NFL coordinator, but then again there is risk of making a position coach a first time coordinator as well, and a having a previous defensive coordinator does not guarantee success either, so yeah why not Jim Leonhard.

P.S. I still remember his long punt return in the 08 AFC Championship game late in the first half that helped get Baltimore back in that game and swing momentum towards them before Troy's INT

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Sarcasm?
    Dripping.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

All I know is that Haden is the only player i notice that plays the ball in coverages, the others like Burns, Sensebaugh, Sutton, are playing the receiver and have their backs facing the oncoming pass; they have no idea where the ball is they're just chasing after the receiver and sticking their hands in the air hoping to distract the receiver - just doesn't look good.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    All I know is that Haden is the only player i notice that plays the ball in coverages, the others like Burns, Sensebaugh, Sutton, are playing the receiver and have their backs facing the oncoming pass; they have no idea where the ball is they're just chasing after the receiver and sticking their hands in the air hoping to distract the receiver - just doesn't look good.
    If the CB is watching the QB and the football, then how are they going to know where the WR is running, so that they can cover the WR?

Textbook CB coverage is to backpedal until the WR makes up the cushion and then turn and run with the WR, with their eyes focused on the receiver. Then, when the WR hands go up for the reception, the CB is taught to put their hands between the WR's hands and then turn their head to the QB to look for the ball and avoid a PI call.

In game 1, Cam Sutton had a pass breakup on the sideline vs Josh Gordon and it was exactly that, textbook CB play. He had his back to the QB and was running with Gordon, but when Gordon put his hands up to catch the football he put his right hand between Gordon's and broke up the pass.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    If the CB is watching the QB and the football, then how are they going to know where the WR is running, so that they can cover the WR?

Textbook CB coverage is to backpedal until the WR makes up the cushion and then turn and run with the WR, with their eyes focused on the receiver. Then, when the WR hands go up for the reception, the CB is taught to put their hands between the WR's hands and then turn their head to the QB to look for the ball and avoid a PI call.

In game 1, Cam Sutton had a pass breakup on the sideline vs Josh Gordon and it was exactly that, textbook CB play. He had his back to the QB and was running with Gordon, but when Gordon put his hands up to catch the football he put his right hand between Gordon's and broke up the pass.
    yeah, but I don’t see them turning their heads when the receiver stretches his arms out or better yet when they see his eyes looking up for the ball, you don’t turn around at the right time, your more likely to get called for PI, like you said, and also, they’ll never get a chance to make a play on the ball and get a pic.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    yeah, but I don’t see them turning their heads when the receiver stretches his arms out or better yet when they see his eyes looking up for the ball, you don’t turn around at the right time, your more likely to get called for PI, like you said, and also, they’ll never get a chance to make a play on the ball and get a pic.
    Very true, but sometimes you don't have time to get your head around, because you are catching up to the receiver. I saw Bostic make a pass breakup on Howard last night in the seam where he did that very thing....he put his hand up when Howard put his hands up to catch the football. Bostic didn't have time to turn his head around because Howard outran him down the field.

Sutton plays very close to the WR and has good feet and change of direction IMO. Burns doesn't have as good short area quickness and feet, but rather long speed and he likes to turn his hips and play in "bail" coverage, so I get what you are saying. Sensabaugh likes to play bail technique a lot from what I see too, but I think he gives a lot of cushion because he doesn't have the quick change of direction or makeup speed long.

Short of it is, I think Sensabaugh is the #5 CB, I think Burns has #2 talent, but #5 technique and awareness. I think Hayden, Sutton and Hilton are the best CB combination the team has.