Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 121 to 129 of 129

Thread: Antonio Brown Clearly Not Right Physically Or Mentally To Start 2018 Season

  1. #121
    Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Gender
    Posts
    2,462

    Re: Antonio Brown Clearly Not Right Physically Or Mentally To Start 2018 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    The guy pointing out that the score was tied was just being a jerk. I mean they had been down by 3 Touchdowns not that long ago. They hadn't stopped the team all day and the offense had just stalled out again.

    I mean, okay, for that drive/moment it was a tie game. But everyone watching and playing in it knew it hadn't been a close game for much of the contest.

    I mean what if he had been napping on the bench? Should've been cool because it was tie game right? No need to get emotional?

    This has to be one of the DUMBEST stories out of the Pittsburgh media in years. This is another reason I don't buy the "drama" hypothesis. I've been hesitant to lay it out, because people are gonna kill me for it. but here goes -- sports reporters are not very bright. In fact - most, not all, are pretty darn stupid. They ask the same questions over and over again, regardless of the answers or context. They are seemingly incapable of understanding anything that doesn't align with their narrow spectrum of experience and/or ANYTHING that requires nuance or complexity of thought.

    So they ask their questions and they write their stories. Most of which is gonna be centered on how AB didn't know the score when he had his outburst and that he is just pissed that he doesn't get targets, etc. Because that is the most "understandable" version of events to them. Anything else makes their feeble brains hurt and they just don't do it.
    The NFL encourages this to have something to discuss between actual games (we are talking about a league that has turned college players running the 40 yard dash and doing multiple bench press reps into the multi-day combine extravaganza) and a reporter is going to do whatever it takes to draw page hits to their stories and tweets (which is the metric for achievement in the 2018 mediaverse)

    If Goodell was made aware of The Ringer story this week on the Steelers off the field conduct being like that of a NBA team it was probably the highlight of his week - developing “personalities” is the goal - the marginal viewer or reader, which is who the NFL wants/needs to engage, does not give a rip about the Steelers chronic inability to defend four verticals routes

    It’s strictly business

  2. #122
    Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    in a cave
    Gender
    Posts
    2,710

    Re: Antonio Brown Clearly Not Right Physically Or Mentally To Start 2018 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    I think the NFL requires you to be available to the media at some point each week between games - a star can limit availability to one day (Wednesday before practice is when Ben talks briefly - normal day for AB is Friday)

    You think Belichick does those media conferences each week between games in front of the Dunkin‘ Donuts backdrop because he enjoys it?
    they do require it , however .................

    one could choose to handle it like this ....









    not saying its the right thing to do , but it can be done
    Follow me on Twitter @Dwinsgames

  3. #123
    NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    27,830

    Re: Antonio Brown Clearly Not Right Physically Or Mentally To Start 2018 Season

    I got the sense that AB was being somewhat sarcastic when he said they were down by 40 and when the reporter told him it was tied, he kind just looked at him like “no shit, I was being sarcastic”.




  4. #124
    Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Gender
    Posts
    2,462

    Re: Antonio Brown Clearly Not Right Physically Or Mentally To Start 2018 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I got the sense that AB was being somewhat sarcastic when he said they were down by 40 and when the reporter told him it was tied, he kind just looked at him like “no shit, I was being sarcastic”.
    If you watch AB interviews the gears start to grind once someone throws him off the script

    He is a physically gifted HOF wide receiver who is not very comfortable with many other aspects of having a high profile and the media attention that now goes with 24/7 coverage of everything in the NFL (other than getting the endorsement $$$)- nothing wrong with that.

    Unlike Bell his teammates still support him so everything else is just elevator music.

  5. #125
    Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a brilliant future"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,473

    Re: Antonio Brown Clearly Not Right Physically Or Mentally To Start 2018 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    If you watch AB interviews the gears start to grind once someone throws him off the script

    He is a physically gifted HOF wide receiver who is not very comfortable with many other aspects of having a high profile and the media attention that now goes with 24/7 coverage of everything in the NFL (other than getting the endorsement $$$)- nothing wrong with that.

    Unlike Bell his teammates still support him so everything else is just elevator music.
    He is not just “physically gifted.” He was drafted in the 6th round because he’s less physically gifted than guys who just get by on natural talent.

    Yet he is the best.

    Why? Because he works HARDER and BETTER than anyone.

    There is no doubt he puts more discipline and work into his craft than ANYONE on the other side of that mic puts into theirs.

    He is BETTER at his job than any of them and probably any of us.

    I totally get why someone who works SO MUCH HARDER AND BETTER at his job than those who criticize him might get a little annoyed now and then.

    Think about it for just a second from AB’s POV. He isn’t just better at his job than absolutely ANYONE who writes about him or tweets about him because he won some lottery of nature; it’s because of his work ethic. If any of these “writers” worked at their craft the way AB works at his, they’d be winning Pulitzer’s.

    Sometimes with genius comes quirkiness others simply don’t understand. AB is a kind of “genius” in his craft... and he works SO DAMN HARD AT IT. Maybe that passion comes with extra sensitivity or other quirks that are difficult for others to totally get. So be it.

    AB has EARNED everything by himself. Let ONE person who works harder than he does speak up...

    Crickets. Especially from ANY members of the media.

    Am I saying they don’t have the right to sleepwalk through their second rate lives and write whatever they want? No. They’ll never be good enough journalists to achieve much more than they are achieving. Let them write their stupid articles questioning the commitment and work ethic of someone that puts their own laziness and mediocrity into proper perspective.

    But I for one will never judge AB as anything but an inspiration until a single day comes where I work harder at my craft than he does at his. And I’ve had a few good days here and there.

  6. #126
    NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    27,830

    Re: Antonio Brown Clearly Not Right Physically Or Mentally To Start 2018 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    He is not just “physically gifted.” He was drafted in the 6th round because he’s less physically gifted than guys who just get by on natural talent.

    Yet he is the best.

    Why? Because he works HARDER and BETTER than anyone.

    There is no doubt he puts more discipline and work into his craft than ANYONE on the other side of that mic puts into theirs.

    He is BETTER at his job than any of them and probably any of us.

    I totally get why someone who works SO MUCH HARDER AND BETTER at his job than those who criticize him might get a little annoyed now and then.

    Think about it for just a second from AB’s POV. He isn’t just better at his job than absolutely ANYONE who writes about him or tweets about him because he won some lottery of nature; it’s because of his work ethic. If any of these “writers” worked at their craft the way AB works at his, they’d be winning Pulitzer’s.

    Sometimes with genius comes quirkiness others simply don’t understand. AB is a kind of “genius” in his craft... and he works SO DAMN HARD AT IT. Maybe that passion comes with extra sensitivity or other quirks that are difficult for others to totally get. So be it.

    AB has EARNED everything by himself. Let ONE person who works harder than he does speak up...

    Crickets. Especially from ANY members of the media.

    Am I saying they don’t have the right to sleepwalk through their second rate lives and write whatever they want? No. They’ll never be good enough journalists to achieve much more than they are achieving. Let them write their stupid articles questioning the commitment and work ethic of someone that puts their own laziness and mediocrity into proper perspective.

    But I for one will never judge AB as anything but an inspiration until a single day comes where I work harder at my craft than he does at his. And I’ve had a few good days here and there.
    Not to mention every single combine number out there is overrated. The only thing that really matters is speed, strength, smarts, etc. that a player has on the football field. All those other “measurables” are garbage.




  7. #127
    Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Posts
    7,154

    Re: Antonio Brown Clearly Not Right Physically Or Mentally To Start 2018 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    The NFL encourages this to have something to discuss between actual games (we are talking about a league that has turned college players running the 40 yard dash and doing multiple bench press reps into the multi-day combine extravaganza) and a reporter is going to do whatever it takes to draw page hits to their stories and tweets (which is the metric for achievement in the 2018 mediaverse)

    If Goodell was made aware of The Ringer story this week on the Steelers off the field conduct being like that of a NBA team it was probably the highlight of his week - developing “personalities” is the goal - the marginal viewer or reader, which is who the NFL wants/needs to engage, does not give a rip about the Steelers chronic inability to defend four verticals routes

    It’s strictly business
    Great points.

    But that is why the discussions here about "culture" and "drama" drive me up a wall. I can get surface "analysis" of the NFL or the Steelers anywhere. What I come here for is a place to have a detailed discussion with knowledgeable folks about just the fact that the Steelers can't defend four verticals and why their brains appear to melt whenever they mix zone and man coverages.


  8. #128
    Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Gender
    Posts
    2,462

    Re: Antonio Brown Clearly Not Right Physically Or Mentally To Start 2018 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    He is not just “physically gifted.” He was drafted in the 6th round because he’s less physically gifted than guys who just get by on natural talent.

    Yet he is the best.

    Why? Because he works HARDER and BETTER than anyone.

    There is no doubt he puts more discipline and work into his craft than ANYONE on the other side of that mic puts into theirs.

    He is BETTER at his job than any of them and probably any of us.

    I totally get why someone who works SO MUCH HARDER AND BETTER at his job than those who criticize him might get a little annoyed now and then.

    Think about it for just a second from AB’s POV. He isn’t just better at his job than absolutely ANYONE who writes about him or tweets about him because he won some lottery of nature; it’s because of his work ethic. If any of these “writers” worked at their craft the way AB works at his, they’d be winning Pulitzer’s.

    Sometimes with genius comes quirkiness others simply don’t understand. AB is a kind of “genius” in his craft... and he works SO DAMN HARD AT IT. Maybe that passion comes with extra sensitivity or other quirks that are difficult for others to totally get. So be it.

    AB has EARNED everything by himself. Let ONE person who works harder than he does speak up...

    Crickets. Especially from ANY members of the media.

    Am I saying they don’t have the right to sleepwalk through their second rate lives and write whatever they want? No. They’ll never be good enough journalists to achieve much more than they are achieving. Let them write their stupid articles questioning the commitment and work ethic of someone that puts their own laziness and mediocrity into proper perspective.

    But I for one will never judge AB as anything but an inspiration until a single day comes where I work harder at my craft than he does at his. And I’ve had a few good days here and there.
    Sorry I was not sufficiently laudatory in my posts about the “genius” known as AB

    Since I assume you are an adult are pro athletes actually a source of inspiration rather than just entertainment to you?

    Not talking about someone like Ryan Shazier who is dealing with a terrible injury but just someone who plays a game well

  9. #129
    Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a brilliant future"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,473

    Re: Antonio Brown Clearly Not Right Physically Or Mentally To Start 2018 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Sorry I was not sufficiently laudatory in my posts about the “genius” known as AB

    Since I assume you are an adult are pro athletes actually a source of inspiration rather than just entertainment to you?

    Not talking about someone like Ryan Shazier who is dealing with a terrible injury but just someone who plays a game well
    I was not criticizing your post. Just using it as a launching point. I was just pointing out that AB’s greatness in particular comes from transcending his natural physical gifts, rather than relying on them. He happened to be lucky enough to have the sufficient physical attributes that COULD be maximized to achieve greatness in football through the kind of hard work and discipline that very few people in ANY field are willing or able to apply. If he happened to have a natural talent for writing, and applied his work ethic to becoming the best at THAT, he’d probably be one of the very best at it by now. He certainly would be better at it than any of the writers who are hacky enough to be criticizing his work ethic now.

    You don’t have to apologize for being insufficiently laudatory.

    Shazier is a different type of inspiration. But I don’t believe you have to be hurt or be dealing with a tragedy to be an inspiration.

    Outworking most human beings on the planet at any field is something I find inspiring. The discipline and application to MAXIMIZE your potential at ANY GUVEN CRAFT is, and should be, something to find inspiring. I hope the guy with the mental POTENTIAL to cure cancer or achieve more substantial heights than playing football agrees with me on this, and doesn’t limit his field of inspirational vision to those who befall some sort or tragedy.

    Anyone can criticize AB for anything if it makes them feel better to do so or helps pay their bills as a writer. I suppose we are fundamentally stuck with the type of sportswriters who lack AB’s work ethic and dedication, seeing as any writer who comes close to working THAT hard and passionately at the craft of journalism would be giants in their field too.

    And there is a savant-like quality to be capable of perfecting any craft the way a Jerry Rice or Antonio Brown have perfected theirs. “Genius” is a word that can apply to more than IQ. But semantics aside, I’m not surprised that it comes with quirks... like obsessive compulsiveness or sensitivity to irrational and hypocritical criticism.

    AB is not beyond criticism as a football player. I’m sure he’s harder on himself, and probably better at criticizing his own technical mistakes than anyone who writes about him.

    But to criticize his commitment to his craft and to his team is kind of laughable. His emotions on the sidelines were clearly misinterpreted, per the OC himself, and the reason for his absence from team functions on Monday is unknown. It seems that he informed his coaches of it but didn’t get permission.

    If that’s the case the specific act can be rationally criticized, and I expect Tomlin rationally criticized him. I’m glad Tomlin and the Steelers organization aren’t stupid enough to bench him or trade him for the infraction.

    But the idea put forth by some that he is an overall bad teammate, let alone a “cancer” is funny to me.

    Not laugh out loud funny. But still funny.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •