Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Keith Butler Thread

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Re: The Keith Butler Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    I am by no means a fan of Butler. But let's take a serious look for a second. He takes over in 2015. 2014 was Lebeau's last year. And Lebeau's later teams and so far Butler's, have struggled to get stops in certain instances. There are some games where they come out great. Some games where they come out and get Ragnaroked like they did today, like in 2015 against the Raiders (although Landry Jones managed to salvage a game wining drive). Or the Jacksonville game... or like in every Patriots game. Usually, the defense does stand up, at least for a little while, to the division rivals (the home game against Baltimore last year was an exception). I believe that Butler is a good example of what we hound the offense for... inconsistency. Some days the offense shows up, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they start slow but turn it on eventually. Ultimately, this current Steelers team is built around inconsistent coaches and players that have all the potential in the world, but never truly live up to it. This is not a good foundation. I'm not sure what I would do to the team. I think I fire Butler. I probably never hire him. Actually, after that Wilcard loss to Baltimore, all the defensive coaches would have been cleaned out. I have a serious sitdown with Tomlin about the inconsistency, drama, and distractions and usually poor public image that haunts the team. And finally, I would more then likely sign Bell. lol That last part is a joke.
    I think this explains a few things.
    “I probably worked more and spent more time with him in football than anybody in my professional life,” head coach Mike Tomlin says.

Upon finally arriving at that coaching crossroads, Tomlin put his faith in his professional admiration for Butler, 59, that predated Tomlin establishing himself as a professional.
    http://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/Pi...d-Dick-LeBeau/

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

The Keith Butler Thread

At this stage, this season is just basically players not talented enough and coaches not wise enough and neither can cover up for the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Here's the worst part, they went 0-1-1 against teams they have owned in recent years. They still have to play teams that have gotten the best of them in recent years in New England, Jacksonville, Oakland (in Oakland), Denver, and New Orleans
    So 0-6-1 up hill battle...

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tom444 View Post
    Kansas City Chiefs thumped New England 42-27 last year and we know who ended up where at the end of the season. It's only week 2.
    Alex Smith vs Patrick Mahomes. There's your difference. Yes he's a rookie but he was making throws that veterans make yesterday and not making mistakes. Mahomes arm strength vs Alex Smith isn't even close, and don't forget he missed his 7th TD pass when he over Tyrek Hill wide open and his 8th TD pass when he overthrew Watkins (with TJ Watt covering him).

KC's biggest issue is defense though. They still gave up 37 points yesterday. If they play a team with a good defense like Jacksonville who can match them they're toast. BTW Jacksonville's offense looked very good yesterday. Bortles especially <- I can't believe I just typed that, but it's true.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Member Array title="SteelersCanadian is on a distinguished road">

Losing Shazier absolutely devastated this defense. It was up to Butler to adjust the scheme and personnel to mask this issue as best as he could and he's failed.

He's just not good enough. It's as simple as that.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

for all the " its only week 2 people " lets go back to 2017 ....

wk 5 Jacksonville hangs a 30 burger on them
    wk 12 the Packers with a rookie backup puts up 28
    wk 14 the anemic Ratbirds hang 38 on them
    Jacksonville hangs 45 more on them and bounces them from the playoffs

The Offensive Coordinator that helps your team score 42 points is fired ( 42 should be more than enough to win any game ) but they keep the Defensive Coordinator who's unit gave up 45 points ( that will NEVER make sense to me )

fast forward to 2018

21 point tie with the prior 1-31-0 Browns over the prior 2 seasons with Hue " I'm really that stupid" Jackson
    42 points to the Chiefs yesterday where only 5 balls hit the ground for the chiefs passing game all day 6 TD passes zero Ints and a top of the mark QB rating for a kid who is literally starting his 3rd NFL game .... you couldn't confuse him ? you couldn't rattle him ? you couldn't do anything to slow him let alone stop him .....

think about that 6td passes .... 5 incomplete passes ......

6td passes .... 5 incomplete passes .....
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

The Offensive Coordinator that helps your team score 42 points is fired ( 42 should be more than enough to win any game ) but they keep the Defensive Coordinator who's unit gave up 45 points ( that will NEVER make sense to me )

fast forward to 2018

21 point tie with the prior 1-31-0 Browns over the prior 2 seasons with Hue " I'm really that stupid" Jackson
    42 points to the Chiefs yesterday where only 5 balls hit the ground for the chiefs passing game all day 6 TD passes zero Ints and a top of the mark QB rating for a kid who is literally starting his 3rd NFL game .... you couldn't confuse him ? you couldn't rattle him ? you couldn't do anything to slow him let alone stop him .....

Could have easily been 8 TD passes.

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

fast forward to 2018

The buddy system in play is why.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

fast forward to 2018

The chiefs had more offensive TD that 3rd down attempted yesterday!!!!!

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
    The buddy system in play is why.
    I recall it goes back to Butler being deemed D-coordinator in waiting after he turned down coordinator offers while waiting for LeBeau to retire

Of course LeBeau ultimately was fired, at which point loyalty to Butler having waited for the coordinator job should have been outweighed by him being a disciple of a defensive scheme that the rest of the league had figured out

But last year it was all good until Haden broke his leg, after which the pass defense started to fade, followed by the Shazier catastrophe

Hard to overcome mediocre personnel
    Thanks for the memories

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    I recall it goes back to Butler being deemed D-coordinator in waiting after he turned down coordinator offers while waiting for LeBeau to retire

Of course LeBeau ultimately was fired, at which point loyalty to Butler having waited for the coordinator job should have been outweighed by him being a disciple of a defensive scheme that the rest of the league had figured out

But last year it was all good until Haden broke his leg, after which the pass defense started to fade, followed by the Shazier catastrophe

I posted this above. But seems He is Tomlins mentor of sorts. Just another angle to look at why he got the job in the first place and was/is able to keep it so far.

Why Steelers Chose Keith Butler to Succeed Dick LeBeau
    http://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/Pi...d-Dick-LeBeau/

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post

who do we blame that talent level of the defense on ?

Seems to me the last couple drafts Butler should have been the biggest voice in the room when selecting a defensive player on draft day ...

how has that worked out so far , well ...

its early obviously but ...

2016 draft ...
    first 3 selections went to defense

Burns - light will never come completely on , this kid will never be a true #1 corner in this league

Davis - looks lost and invisible and most times is no where around the play or is a late to the scene guy who misses plenty of tackles , I hoped the move to FS would do it for him but so far he looks worse in the backend than he did closer to the LOS

Hargrave - had big hopes for him but quite honestly he is more hype than substance

Travis Feeney - off team

Dirty Red a special team player who's penalty yesterday kept us from getting the ball back at the end of the game

2017 draft

TJ Watt seems like a homerun

Cam Sutton often injured got a chance yesterday to step up and was made a fool of early and often and was replaced before the 1st quarter was over

Brian Allen ................

Keion Adams ...............

2018 draft

Edmonds ..to soon to say

Allen ... to soon to say

Frazier ..off team

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

fast forward to 2018

Not arguing, real question. How much credit do you give the Chiefs in this game? 5 incomplete passes you say? That is a pretty solid outing for a practice, let alone a game. The execution was there for the Chiefs apparently. The only REAL issues I have with this defense at this point is the blown coverages. There were 2 TDs thrown by Mahomes that were instant no contest from the snap. On both we ended up with 1 DB(Burns was 1 maybe both, idk) trying to cover 2 receivers. Mahomes had his pick of whichever one got open first. There was also the TD by Kelce with Bostic in coverage. There should always be safety help there. Where was Davis on these 3 TDs? You can coach, scheme, and gameplan, but without the execution it is all pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Not arguing, real question. How much credit do you give the Chiefs in this game? 5 incomplete passes you say? That is a pretty solid outing for a practice, let alone a game. The execution was there for the Chiefs apparently. The only REAL issues I have with this defense at this point is the blown coverages. There were 2 TDs thrown by Mahomes that were instant no contest from the snap. On both we ended up with 1 DB(Burns was 1 maybe both, idk) trying to cover 2 receivers. Mahomes had his pick of whichever one got open first. There was also the TD by Kelce with Bostic in coverage. There should always be safety help there. Where was Davis on these 3 TDs? You can coach, scheme, and gameplan, but without the execution it is all pointless.

team blames communication ( again )

I said before the team made this claim yesterday this ....

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

A bit old news but I still can't get over the fact after Artie Burns' stupid penalty last week, he wasn't benched for the rest of the game. If that happened under Cowher' / Lebeau, Burns would have still been on the bench for the KC game, they wouldn't have stood for that crap for even a second. I was really disappointed after that penalty that no coach put him in his place. You know cowher would have got in his face telling him if he did that again he'd kill him and his dog lol

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

team blames communication ( again )

I said before the team made this claim yesterday this ....

Other explanations? Davis, Burnett, Sutton, Bostic, Edmunds, are all in new positions or in a new defense at the 2nd week point. NO QUALITY DEPTH, same as most on here have been screaming for years. IMO, Davis needs to be replaced this offseason. Keep him as a situational/backup. We need to go all in on getting our next Shazier/TP43 impact defender. It's time. I honestly think this is a personnel issue above a scheme issue.

Other explanations? Davis, Burnett, Sutton, Bostic, Edmunds, are all in new positions or in a new defense at the 2nd week point. NO QUALITY DEPTH, same as most on here have been screaming for years. IMO, Davis needs to be replaced this offseason. Keep him as a situational/backup. We need to go all in on getting our next Shazier/TP43 impact defender. It's time. I honestly think this is a personnel issue above a scheme issue.
    a valid point to a degree I suppose ..

That said we had the same issues last year ..

Davis knows the scheme ... albeit a slightly different role as we do not have the customary distinction of Free and Strong most teams do

Burnett played in a very close version of this defense his entire career in green Bay as Lebeaus scheme and Capers where nearly mirror images of one another

Sutton is in his second year should know his way around the scheme ....

Leaving Bostic and Edmunds as the only true scapegoats in the theory that can not be explained away and neither where that involved in the passing game to the point of blame for most of the game so IDK

what I do know is this team is a complete mess right now and I am not so sure they can right the ship anytime soon with a red hot Fitz on the docket next week

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Steelers haven't been able to defend 4 verts for at least 3 years now. KC bludgeoned them with this concept yesterday. At least 3 times for a TD. It makes it look like a defender has been assigned to cover 2 receivers because he basically has by flooding a zone with offensive players.

The thing is that the offseason was intended to be focused on dealing with this, but here we are.

a valid point to a degree I suppose ..

That said we had the same issues last year ..

Davis knows the scheme ... albeit a slightly different role as we do not have the customary distinction of Free and Strong most teams do

Burnett played in a very close version of this defense his entire career in green Bay as Lebeaus scheme and Capers where nearly mirror images of one another

Sutton is in his second year should know his way around the scheme ....

Leaving Bostic and Edmunds as the only true scapegoats in the theory that can not be explained away and neither where that involved in the passing game to the point of blame for most of the game so IDK

what I do know is this team is a complete mess right now and I am not so sure they can right the ship anytime soon with a red hot Fitz on the docket next week
    Agree Davis SHOULD know the scheme. I don't believe he does or is just very slow once the play starts to get to his spot. Sutton got caught looking in the backfield twice. Sensabaugh played well as replacement but he's really a backup level guy. Burns was just outclassed by WR/QB combo. Meaning even when he was in position the throw was perfect or the WR made a nice play. KC gets credit for their play.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Steelers haven't been able to defend 4 verts for at least 3 years now. KC bludgeoned them with this concept yesterday. At least 3 times for a TD. It makes it look like a defender has been assigned to cover 2 receivers because he basically has by flooding a zone with offensive players.

The thing is that the offseason was intended to be focused on dealing with this, but here we are.
    Exactly what I was seeing yesterday as well.

Agree Davis SHOULD know the scheme. I don't believe he does or is just very slow once the play starts to get to his spot. Sutton got caught looking in the backfield twice. Sensabaugh played well as replacement but he's really a backup level guy. Burns was just outclassed by WR/QB combo. Meaning even when he was in position the throw was perfect or the WR made a nice play. KC gets credit for their play.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly what I was seeing yesterday as well.

quite the mess we have no doubt....

speaking of specific route difficulties ....

we have not been able to successfully defend a TE seem route in forever and this predates the Tomlin era ...

one would think after that many years SOMETHING would have been done to address the issue and we would see some semblance of improvement but I digress

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

quite the mess we have no doubt....

speaking of specific route difficulties ....

we have not been able to successfully defend a TE seem route in forever and this predates the Tomlin era ...

one would think after that many years SOMETHING would have been done to address the issue and we would see some semblance of improvement but I digress
    A quick tour through the stats says that last year they defended all TEs not named GRONK pretty darn well.

Klece , Gronk, Grahamn etc just provide such a physical mismatch that few teams can really do much against them consistently.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

A quick tour through the stats says that last year they defended all TEs not named GRONK pretty darn well.

Klece , Gronk, Grahamn etc just provide such a physical mismatch that few teams can really do much against them consistently.
    Yeah, those guys are extremely gifted and are probably outliers of the typical TE position.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Let's say Butler is gone do you really think a new DC would turn things around? I know whenever the Steelers play the Pats ink in Gronk to have a monster game and, KC Kelce had a big game yesterday wide open down the middle pretty much anytime Mahomes wanted it. It still comes down to players you have.

Senior Member Array title="Renegade has a spectacular aura about"> Renegade's Avatar

Keith Butler and Mike Tomlin need to play a few rounds of Madden first in order to get the feel for a game.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steel striker View Post
    Let's say Butler is gone do you really think a new DC would turn things around? I know whenever the Steelers play the Pats ink in Gronk to have a monster game and, KC Kelce had a big game yesterday wide open down the middle pretty much anytime Mahomes wanted it. It still comes down to players you have.
    If it was a good DC, then yes it'd turn things around. The problem is we're seeing the same miscommunications and mental lapses in the defense, and no improvement whatsoever. He gets a pass for his first season, but to see the same crap in the 2nd season is just plain bad.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steel striker View Post
    We did it for the OL.

The problem is who is the "Munchak" of DC's or DB coaches??

No one stops Gronkowski when he is healthy -- https://www.pro-football-reference.c...nRo00/gamelog/

Kelce a bit less but rarely "stopped" -- https://www.pro-football-reference.c...cTr00/gamelog/

By the extension of the same logic that is being applied here, AB is largely a product of team's failing to coach well enough to stop him. I mean look at this --https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BrowAn04/gamelog/

For some players you can know what is coming and how they other team is going to get the ball to the guy and it simply doesn't matter.

what doesnt show in stat lines is where pass attempts are made , just because we can not defend a specific route does not always indicate a team attacked there ...they should ... but they may or may not

The Keith Butler Thread

No one stops Gronkowski when he is healthy -- https://www.pro-football-reference.c...nRo00/gamelog/

Kelce a bit less but rarely "stopped" -- https://www.pro-football-reference.c...cTr00/gamelog/

By the extension of the same logic that is being applied here, AB is largely a product of team's failing to coach well enough to stop him. I mean look at this --https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BrowAn04/gamelog/

For some players you can know what is coming and how they other team is going to get the ball to the guy and it simply doesn't matter.
    Great so no one can stop AB, Gronk or Kelce...yet bothe Cleveland and KC stopped AB. Why didn’t the Steelers stop anyone else on KCs offense? Some of Kelce’s worst games have come against the Steelers. Steelers stoped Kelce in their 4 previous games. What makes yesterday different?