Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When does a Head Coach get Blame/Credit?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

When does a Head Coach get Blame/Credit?

General question: when does a HC get blame or credit? Some blame Tomlin for the Browns tie, but he wasn’t the one turning the ball over. On the other hand, would we give him credit if the players executed? On those same grounds, wouldn’t we say it was all the players and their performance? I realize we can talk about game plan, but all plans look good when the players perform well.

Of course, decisions at crunch time play a part in blame/credit (red flags, timeouts, substitutions, etc.). But how do you assign blame or credit to a HC?

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: When does a Head Coach get Blame/Credit?

I do not blame Tomlin for the tie game against the Browns ... This one is on Ben ...

But when you're a defensive coach and you lose 45-42 against a defensive team ... ouch!

For the credit,an example .... Doug Peterson last year ... What a job he did with so many injuries and his playcalling and gameplan was amazing in the super bowl (not just the trick play at the end of the first half).

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Seriously? Yet another fire Tomlin thread.
    Seriously? No one went there but YOU.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Head Coaches Credit For:
    Teams that don't quit regardless of score or mounting injuries.
    Gameplans/approaches that make sense given the strengths and weakness of a team
    Devising an overall plan for the franchise and sticking to it. This is the "I need these types of players - now lets go get them" thing.
    Providing a structure where each coach, personnel person, and player understands their role and responsibility.
    Taking responsibility for all failures (even when not warranted) and distributing the credit for all success (again even if not warranted). Any good "boss" should do this. Most don't.

Head Coach Blame For:
    Cycling through plans in a seemingly random manner -- "We can't start our rookie QB, he isn't ready. After one week, he is totally ready!"
    Switching schemes and therefore roster priorities each off-season. "We're a man coverage team!" "We run the ball." "No, wait we play zone defense and pass the ball to our TEs".
    Teams that don't play hard the whole game. I don't mean the stuff talked about here. I mean teams that get down 2 scores and the body language is all slumped over on the bench with towels over their heads and no one is talking about how to fix it. I've seen Tomlin led teams struggle, but never do this.
    Seeing failure or struggles and doing nothing to correct it. No change in line-up or scheme or tactics to correct a deficit. Like when Garrett let his back-up LT get ripped for 6 sacks a season or so ago and just kept running the kid out there with no help.

Dunno. That's just my initial reaction.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I think in a team sport such as football, it's up to the coaching to implement the proper system and get the team functioning as one cohesive unit. Why is some teams that look good on paper crash and burn while Bellichick takes spare parts every year and turns the Patriots into consistent winners? Therefore I think the coaching needs to be given a fair portion of credit and blame. Bad coaching can cause a talented team to underachieve, meanwhile, a less talented team can overachieve with coaching. I think Tomlin needs to be given his proper credit for the Super Bowl 43 win (In the past I have tried to minimize his role in that and I was wrong), he got the team functioning as one to help win and helped spawn the Harrison turn by having players practice blocking after an INT. As for last year, he definitely needs blame, a team with 10 pro bowlers on the roster did not go as far as they should have, and that is on Tomlin and the rest of the coaches

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

head coach gets no credit but all the blame, that's just how it goes

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

I agree st33lersguy with ya'. I think the coach(es) get both, credit and blame. First of all, you have to have game plan and preparedness for EVERY game and team you play- coaches to instruct and players to perform, then you need the right player to institute the job, which are the fault of coaches....right blocker, punt returner, cornerback coverage, etc.. Game plan definitely on the coaches. Lack of running game against a bad run blocking team...coaches plays calling. To me the game is on both shoulders...of course there will be times when you have the right player in the spot-but that player has a bad game and can't do what is called for....then that's on the coaches to pull the player and put in another to do whatever to give you the best chance to win ( like changing pitchers, designator hitter, pinch runner, etc...). So, In my opinion, the coaches get BOTH, credit for some things in game and blame for some things in a game. If the team seems to get into a rut, then you need the coaches to get into some asses for the motivation installation. Same as recognizing when a celebration penalty on a TD or a tackle is hurtful during a close game, then pulling that player aside for some ass chewing. Just my opinion.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Is managing noise even part of the HC's job description? Certainly, it is for college HC's, but what about the NFL?

Head coaches, IMO, should get blamed for anything until there's a consistent pattern over two or three years that can be traced to him. The same is true for credit except in those areas, both good and bad, where it is obviously the coaches fault, such as choosing to bench a player or making a decision to go for it or to punt. IMO, he shouldn't get blamed for anything that happens on the field in one game outside of that. I want to see patterns before I claim it's coaching issue. So, for instance, we've seen problems with communication on defense. We know in the first half of Tomlin's time here there weren't any problems. We also know Lebeau was here and we had several veterans. In the second half, those problems have crept up. Lebeau has left, the veterans are gone, so there's an issue that is Tomlin's to address along with his new defensive coordinator. With the continuing changes at personal and the injury of the defensive playcaller last year, there are mitigating circumstances. However, if it continues much longer, then it begins to be Tomlin's fault because ultimately, he has to take the reigns and fix it. But, he can't undercut his DC or his DC will lose credibility in the locker room, and that is how you lose a football team. That is why I give a HC a couple of years to work through things, because unless the entire system is broken from top to bottom, the last thing you want is a head coach making massive changes to the way an organization runs, and anytime he steps in and corrects a DC, that's exactly what happens.

The other side of that is asking if a team had the right game plan for their personnel and the defensed against whom they were playing. Both of those elements have to be asked as well. For instance, we all wanted to see man coverage against the Patriots*, but every time they shifted into it, they got absolutely burned because they didn't have the personnel at the time. So, they've gone out in the last couple of drafts and drafted the right guys to play man coverage when they have to. When we play the Pats* this year, we'll see whether the HC has done right by the team.

Finally, I think the credit/blame comes from the overall team record during his tenor. One of the reasons I hold Tomlin in such high regard is because he is the first coach I've seen that has held a team at or above .500 during a rebuilding cycle without cheating (Ahem, Pats*).

The"concrete cobbler" Array title="cold-hard-steel has a brilliant future"> cold-hard-steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Is managing noise even part of the HC's job description? Certainly, it is for college HC's, but what about the NFL?
    According to "ancient astronaut theorists" the answer is yes.
    Two bags are guarenteed to fit all sizes ,or your money back. If you are not completely satisfied call 1-800-GOO-DHELL We show 5 bags to choose from,most problems only need 2 bags .

As for managing the noise, the answer to that question is yes, and no. In one respect, he is responsible for managing the noise that surrounds the locker room; is this player upset, is that player causing problems on the field or in the locker room, and so on. In the other respect, he isn't responsible for managing players like college HCs because these are adult men. They are at a full-time job and once they clock out, they are free to do almost anything they want just like anyone else at a full-time position. So, would your manager have the responsibility of monitoring your twitter or Snapchat or Facebook accounts? No. Is he responsible for your contract dispute with HR? No. He is only responsible for what goes on at the office and at any office-sponsored events. The same is true of a head coach.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

When a coach has a winning record in the NFL after 10 years he gets credit for being a good coach. When fans think he should have won more he gets the blame. Pretty simple really.

I think that Tomlin is a top 5 coach. What area do you think he has improved the most as a HC and where does he still need to improve? Unlike Hawkman's opinion about this being another Fire Tomlin thread, I'd like to think we can objectively discuss the pros/cons of his tenure and give him the credit he's earned, while also realizing there's still some work to be done.

- - - Updated - - -

AREAS TO IMPROVE: I think his coaching staff at times has been suspect - holding on too long to a coach who's not working out. Butler is getting there... and some position coaches have already burnt that bridge. I'd like to see Butler moved this year if the D doesn't produce.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I think that Tomlin is a top 5 coach. What area do you think he has improved the most as a HC and where does he still need to improve? Unlike Hawkman's opinion about this being another Fire Tomlin thread, I'd like to think we can objectively discuss the pros/cons of his tenure and give him the credit he's earned, while also realizing there's still some work to be done.

- - - Updated - - -

AREAS TO IMPROVE: I think his coaching staff at times has been suspect - holding on too long to a coach who's not working out. Butler is getting there... and some position coaches have already burnt that bridge. I'd like to see Butler moved this year if the D doesn't produce.
    I disagree with you on Butler. Last season was when he lost his LBs. This year we are trying something new with the defense. The staples on this defense are still above par in talent and execution. Every time you change coordinators you start over to an extent.

I have no idea how to tell Tomlin what he needs to work on. Do you want a Bellichick/Saban type personality here? I would rather have the coach that celebrates with his players. That may just be me though.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

When half the players on Defense are running one play and the other half is running another play and the miscommunication continues throughout the season, that falls on the Coordinator and Coach.

When a Special Teams unit commits the same penalties week in and week out and does not improve year after year in certain aspects of the game, that falls on the Coordinator and Coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I have no idea how to tell Tomlin what he needs to work on. Do you want a Bellichick/Saban type personality here? I would rather have the coach that celebrates with his players. That may just be me though.
    Tomlin is a good Coach. He makes the hard decisions, he makes some ballsy ones. I like that in a Coach. He also makes some questionable and absent minded decisions as well but all coaches do that. The thing that really bugs me about Tomlin is his lack of in game discipline and His stubbornness in regards To personnel use...mainly with kick and punt returners.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

I disagree with you on Butler. Last season was when he lost his LBs. This year we are trying something new with the defense. The staples on this defense are still above par in talent and execution. Every time you change coordinators you start over to an extent.

I really don’t think it matters - players coach or dictator type. Both have won and both can be taken to extreme.

The problem with Butler is that our defense was dysfunctional last year

I've never seen a defense make so much mistake because of a lack of communication or something like that...Kizer and Hundley had big games against us because of that ...No excuses for that

And we must not be afraid of change .... I mean, the Broncos won the super bowl in 2015 in the first year of Wade Phillips as DC and their defense won the super bowl by themselves.

It's just with the steelers, it takes too much time to develop a unit under Tomlin...It was the O-line for the first half of Tomlin's tenure, now it's the defense,especially the secondary.

It took too long for Tomlin to understand that the zone is no longer working in the NFL ....

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    The problem with Butler is that our defense was dysfunctional last year

I've never seen a defense make so much mistake because of a lack of communication or something like that...Kizer and Hundley had big games against us because of that ...No excuses for that

And we must not be afraid of change .... I mean, the Broncos won the super bowl in 2015 in the first year of Wade Phillips as DC and their defense won the super bowl by themselves.

It's just with the steelers, it takes too much time to develop a unit under Tomlin...It was the O-line for the first half of Tomlin's tenure, now it's the defense,especially the secondary.

It took too long for Tomlin to understand that the zone is no longer working in the NFL ....
    One thing I think you're forgetting here is that Tomlin rebuilt the o-line and defense with out ever having a losing season. Is there another coach that has done that?

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    One thing I think you're forgetting here is that Tomlin rebuilt the o-line and defense with out ever having a losing season. Is there another coach that has done that?
    The steelers have been the majority of the time, one of the most talented teams in the NFL during its tenure except for 2-3 seasons....Kevin Colbert and Ben Roethlisberger deserve more of the credit for that

To not have a losing season .... if the steelers finish 8-7-1 this year, would that be a successful season?

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

It seems to me that if the Steelers lose fans say it is the fault of the players. If the Steelers win they say it's because of Tomlin. In most cases it's the fault of both sides.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

The steelers have been the majority of the time, one of the most talented teams in the NFL during its tenure except for 2-3 seasons....Kevin Colbert and Ben Roethlisberger deserve more of the credit for that

To not have a losing season .... if the steelers finish 8-7-1 this year, would that be a successful season?
    You can't equate a successful season with a non losing season. Please don't move the goal posts on me.

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    You can't equate a successful season with a non losing season. Please don't move the goal posts on me.
    I am sorry

But it's just that the steelers have never been one of the less talented teams(bottom 10) in the league under Tomlin with the exception maybe of 2013.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

This season: no

2012 & 2013 (when those back-loaded contracts came due and the roster was purged): absolutely

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

2012 & 2013 (when those back-loaded contracts came due and the roster was purged): absolutely
    Not for me....During 15 games (final 7 games in 2012 and first 8 games in 2013) the steelers were 4-11.

Of course, we finished the season at 6-2 in 2013, but it was too late, even if we almost made the playoffs by accident since no team wanted to be in the final 6 seed that year !!!!

Not for me....During 15 games (final 7 games in 2012 and first 8 games in 2013) the steelers were 4-11.

Of course, we finished the season at 6-2 in 2013, but it was too late, even if we almost made the playoffs by accident since no team wanted to be in the final 6 seed that year !!!!
    And there is the problem right there. The issue isn't whether a coach is good nor not. The issue is perspective and which way our preconceived ideas take us when looking at the evidence (That's not a dig at you, PB. It's the human plight when assessing). When i see those 15 games, what I see is a team that was too old in 2013 and changes needed to happen, so they started happening. Adjustments were made and more changes happened, and all of that occurred within the first eight games of the season, which allowed this team to salvage the season and be playing meaningful football on the last day of the regular season. Personally, I see that as a great bit of coaching. In short, he completely turned around a team that was headed into the gutter due to age and overextended contracts within a single year. I find that impressive. And, he has done it without any high round draft picks in his entire tenure here. That's something neither of his two predecessors can say.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

People that don't think Tomlin did a great job of coaching while the entire roster was turned over and never had a losing season are fooling themselves.

I ask anyone who believes that what he did is nothing special to name the other coaches in the NFL that have pulled it off.

I know the GM acquires the talent, but getting that many new pieces to mesh, and squeezing every ounce out of a roster that was very light on talent is not something that any NFL coach can do. How many times do we see bad things happen to a franchise, and the team implodes. Tomlin has never allowed that to happen with this team. He gets teams to fight hard when circumstances are the most difficult. His teams rally and play well when devastating injuries occur, and it happens consistently.

When I hear the love for Tom Coughlin, I always think about all those losing seasons with basically the same rosters that he won Super Bowls with. Sorry, Tomlin consistently gets more out of his teams than Coughlin ever did. If Coughlin ever rolled out multiple 6-10 seasons with this roster, the fanbase would be collectively breathing into paper bags.

The last 3 years of Coughlin was not the same roster that the years the giants won the super bowl....The bad drafts of Jerry Reese has been a killer for the giants in the last few years.Coughlin also had a year when Eli had a QB rating of 69.4 with 27 interceptions!

Look, Tomlin is a good coach, it's just that I do not consider him a great one for now .... His 2 best coaching jobs were in 2010 and 2015.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

The last 3 years of Coughlin was not the same roster that the years the giants won the super bowl....The bad drafts of Jerry Reese has been a killer for the giants in the last few years.Coughlin also had a year when Eli had a QB rating of 69.4 with 27 interceptions!

Look, Tomlin is a good coach, it's just that I do not consider him a great one for now .... His 2 best coaching jobs were in 2010 and 2015.

I just don't consider Coughlin to be a great coach. He had waaaaaay too many bad seasons for me to consider him a great coach. You just can't have that many horrible seasons and be considered great. If he wasn't coaching in a pathetic conference, his teams may not have even made the playoffs the years he won the Super Bowl.

Here's his coaching career: https://www.pro-football-reference.c...es/CougTo0.htm

He had a ton of talent on most of those rosters after his first season with the Giants, and his teams severely underachieved most years. If you want to dismiss the last three years, I get it....but it's still on him. Tomlin wouldn't get that pass if he went 19-29 over a three season stretch if Pee Wee Herman was the GM.

As for Tomlin, you are entitled to think that, but rebuilding a roster and not having a losing season is unheard of in the NFL.

I am not saying he is Vince Lombardi. He has much more to do and he has some things he needs to improve on, but he is a very good coach in my opinion.

What he does from here in the coming years will define him in the minds of most people. If he never wins another championship, he may not be considered a great coach. If he wins another Super Bowl, I don't see how anyone can say he isn't a great coach with his won/loss record and his longevity.

I'm hoping he wins a few more.