Thread: Does Ben Roethlisberger play much more poorly on the road? Maybe not.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Does Ben Roethlisberger play much more poorly on the road? Maybe not.

Ben Roethlisberger proved once again last Sunday in Cleveland that he’s terrible on the road. Right?

Not so fast there.

Roethlisberger did not play well in Cleveland as his five turnovers will attest, along with his 60.5 passer rating. There have been other road games in which he’s been awful and even some seasons in which he played better at home than on the road.

But guess what? Last season was not really one of them, nor has his career been so black and white, good versus bad at home versus road when compared to what other quarterbacks do away and home.

Last regular season, Roethlisberger had a 94.8 passer rating at home and the Steelers were 5-2 in those games. He had a 91.7 rating on the road, when his team went 7-1. There is no appreciable difference in the rating, but there is in the record, which was better on the road.

Of those quarterbacks still on NFL rosters who have played in at least 50 games, Roethlisberger ranks seventh with a passer rating of 88.7 on the road, which is not appreciably different from those ranked above him except for the top two — Tom Brady at 98.9 and Aaron Rodgers at 98.7.

Or let’s let win-lost percentage record be our guide, which really is the most important statistic. Among quarterbacks with 20 or more career decisions on their regular and postseason record, Roethlisberger ranks second at 67-43-1 on the road, according to the Football Database. Only Brady has more wins and a better percentage at 96-41-0.

Drew Brees? He’s 66-65-1. Aaron Rodgers is 43-39, and Eli Manning 59-56. At least those three have winning records on the road. Most quarterbacks do not, even Philip Rivers at 47-54 and Joe Flacco at 42-48.

“Honestly, to me it’s about winning a football game,” Roethlisberger said Thursday. “I don’t care what my stats are ever; if I can go win a football game, that’s all that matters. Winning is the only stat I care about.”

Roethlisberger really has had four seasons among his past 14 in which he was appreciably better at home than on the road.

The first was 2006, the year of his motorcycle accident and appendectomy. He had a 69.7 rating away (and a 3-5 record), 82.0 at home (4-3). In 2011 he was 77.5 away (5-3), 107.1 at home (6-1). In 2015 it was 86.0 away (3-3) and 102.4 home (5-1). And in 2016 it was 78.4 away (5-3) and 116.7 at home (5-1).

It’s really been over the seasons of 2015 and 2016 where this home-away discrepancy theory took root. Before that, he had ratings over 90 on the road in seven seasons, over 100 in four and had a better road passer rating than at home in four seasons.

read more

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201809130176

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Does Ben Roethlisberger play much more poorly on the road? Maybe not.

Number Shmumbers. Watch the games. He’s not as good in the road unless the game is in Ohio...with the exception of maybe 3 games in that case.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Re: Does Ben Roethlisberger play much more poorly on the road? Maybe not.

The Defense is better on the Road....The Offense is better at Home....

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Road Ben, Rusty Ben, doesn't make a difference to me. He stunk last Sunday and we can hope he plays better this Sunday. Assuming he even plays at all.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Ben Roethlisberger proved once again last Sunday in Cleveland that he’s terrible on the road. Right?

Not so fast there.

Roethlisberger did not play well in Cleveland as his five turnovers will attest, along with his 60.5 passer rating. There have been other road games in which he’s been awful and even some seasons in which he played better at home than on the road.

But guess what? Last season was not really one of them, nor has his career been so black and white, good versus bad at home versus road when compared to what other quarterbacks do away and home.

Last regular season, Roethlisberger had a 94.8 passer rating at home and the Steelers were 5-2 in those games. He had a 91.7 rating on the road, when his team went 7-1.
    Depends how you slice up the numbers

The rating in home games was dragged down by the outlier of the 37.7 rating in the 5 INT Jax game last October, which was 40 points lower than his next lowest rating in 2017.

Five of his six regular season games in which his rating was over 100 were home games (the rating of 115.6 on the road was the Houston Christmas Day scrimmage) and his next highest rating of 99.7 was the Baltimore home game. Since Ben did not play the week 17 Cleveland home game six of his seven highest regular season QB ratings were at home and he was below 90 in four of his 2017 road games.

His 2017 season home rating average goes up further if you add in the 110.5 rating for the Jax playoff loss.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamel...5536/year/2017

So our eyes are not lying when we perceive Ben to be markedly less effective on the road.
    Thanks for the memories

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

No. No he does not.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I wonder how much better Ben's numbers would be if he played division opponents in domes every year....or maybe got to play in warm/nice weather most of the time against division opponents?

Brady and Rodgers are great....of that there is no doubt. After that, I'm not going to get too worked up about anything Ben has done over his career.

His resume speaks for itself.

His won/loss record speaks for itself.

The carrying on by most of the people here is just silly.

"Drew Brees is better than Ben!" scream many here. If that's true, why does Brees only win half his games away from his climate-controlled dome?

Why does any quarterback lose more games on the road? I mean really.....think about it.

Playing on the road is difficult in the NFL. Teams are generally better at home, so you have that to consider. The crowd noise works in the defense's favor....the edge rushers get a half step on the offensive tackles to get quick pressure on the quarterback.....this is just common sense stuff that escapes many people.

That's what makes Ben's road record so exceptional. He has never been a stats guy. He's a do-whatever-it takes-to-win-a-game guy.

Am I happy about Ben's performance against the Browns? Of course not. I wish he played better...but most blow this stuff out of proportion.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I wonder how much better Ben's numbers would be if he played division opponents in domes every year....or maybe got to play in warm/nice weather most of the time against division opponents?

Brady and Rodgers are great....of that there is no doubt. After that, I'm not going to get too worked up about anything Ben has done over his career.

"Drew Brees is better than Ben!" scream many here. If that's true, why does Brees only win half his games away from his climate-controlled dome?

Why does any quarterback lose more games on the road? I mean really.....think about it.

Playing on the road is difficult in the NFL. Teams are generally better at home, so you have that to consider. The crowd noise works in the defense's favor....the edge rushers get a half step on the offensive tackles to get quick pressure on the quarterback.....this is just common sense stuff that escapes many people.

That's what makes Ben's road record so exceptional. He has never been a stats guy. He's a do-whatever-it takes-to-win-a-game guy.

Am I happy about Ben's performance against the Browns? Of course not. I wish he played better...but most blow this stuff out of proportion.
    I think as fans, this is normal behavior. My best friend is a Cowboy's fan(yeah I know it's sickening) but we often have great discussions about each others teams. I can objectively talk about his team because I have no emotions involved and he can do the same with my squad.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Right! Great post. Brady plays 6 games a year against bottom 10 level teams in division. Ben plays 4 games a year against playoff teams in division. Brees has historically struggled outside in any bad weather. Manning was bad outside in bad weather as well.

But this allows the narrative to remain how the Steelers lost a game rather than another team won the game.

Good post

Drew Brees has a QB rating of 91.9 in his career on the road vs 101.9 at home....Better that Ben on the road but this is close...

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...dvanced_splits

I have no stats on how Brees performs when it's cold

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Right! Great post. Brady plays 6 games a year against bottom 10 level teams in division. Ben plays 4 games a year against playoff teams in division. Brees has historically struggled outside in any bad weather. Manning was bad outside in bad weather as well.

But this allows the narrative to remain how the Steelers lost a game rather than another team won the game.
    Steelers fans are telling the story of how great T.J. Watt's block was to preserve the tie.
    Browns fans are telling the story of how terrible their ST are that they let a game winning FG get blocked by a guy with a bad hammy.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Steelers fans are telling the story of how great T.J. Watt's block was to preserve the tie.
    Browns fans are telling the story of how terrible their ST are that they let a game winning FG get blocked by a guy with a bad hammy.
    lol the guy with a bad hammy also sacked their qb 3 times

I think both sides are understandably disappointed after a tie. I'm not sure who's ever happy with it. But the silver lining is when Ben usually has these 6 turnover games, we lose. We were fortunate enough to come out with half a win after a disaster of a performance.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Road Ben, Rusty Ben, doesn't make a difference to me. He stunk last Sunday and we can hope he plays better this Sunday. Assuming he even plays at all.
    I think we can safely assume that he hasn't suddenly forgotten how to play ball. He has occasional bad days [s]for whatever reason[/s] because he's human, but they are not the norm (else he'd be a crappy QB with occasional flashes of brilliance).
    And if he's out the question becomes "Can Dobbs beat KC's defense with our o line, receivers, and RB?" KC's defense appears to be quite underwhelming.

I think he can.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland