Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The biggest criticism of Mike Tomlin should derive from the incessant drama surrounding the Steelers

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

The biggest criticism of Mike Tomlin should derive from the incessant drama surrounding the Steelers

I’m a big Mike Tomlin fan — have been since he was hired as the Pittsburgh Steelers’ head coach in 2007. But despite enjoying what Tomlin brings to the Steelers on a weekly basis, I realize there’s some criticism which is on-point. To be honest, all NFL coaches get criticism for one thing or another. Even the evil genius in New England, Bill Belichick, has been criticized and chastised for decisions made — Malcolm Butler in the Super Bowl anyone?

As for Tomlin, the majority of criticism he faces typically is based on this thought of the team being unprepared. On our weekly podcast last night (which you can listen to by clicking HERE), I spoke about this and asked listeners to give concrete football evidence of how Tomlin should be blamed for something like Ben Roethlisberger’s five turnovers vs. Cleveland in Week 1 — or how they can point to a team that isn’t performing and pin this on the head coach in terms of “preparedness”.

I don’t know what goes on inside the UPMC Rooney Sports Complex on a daily basis, but I highly doubt the Steelers had fewer meetings leading up to Week 1, than they will prior to their Week-2 game vs. the Kansas City Chiefs. I doubt Mike Tomlin told Keith Butler, “Hey man, we’re playing Tyrod Taylor and the Browns this week, tell the guys to skip all defensive meetings today — we’re good.”

If the coaches coach similarly regardless of opponent, then how can they be blamed for unpreparedness?

I digress, but this all leads to my main point. While I don’t believe being unprepared is somehow a legitimate criticism of Mike Tomlin, I do believe the constant and incessant drama surrounding the Steelers is a very just criticism of the man calling the shots in Pittsburgh.

The one constant throughout Tomlin’s tenure has been drama. He’s had immense amounts of talent wearing the black-and-gold, but the drama has never gone away. In fact, it seems to have intensified during the past few seasons.

Off-field drama and other nonsense might seem a far cry from something that impacts the product on the field, but let’s take a look at the lead-up to last year’s AFC Divisional game vs. the Jacksonville Jaguars.

read more

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...g-the-steelers

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: The biggest criticism of Mike Tomlin should derive from the incessant drama surrounding the Steelers

There was misbehavior in Noll's time and he managed it to the degree it was a distraction. That margin has changed. Tomlin repeatedly fails to manage the distraction of drama. It seems that the only tool in his box is rhetoric to the media with his straight-faced catch phrases. Mr. Tomlin: it's not working! It's as if this whole team needs an intervention. What player is going to step up and be the leader cause it ain't going to be Tomlin. And along with the writer, I've always been a Tomlin supporter, but I am wondering if he has what it takes to take us back to the promised land.

Re: The biggest criticism of Mike Tomlin should derive from the incessant drama surrounding the Steelers

I hate to say that, but since some Cowher players have retired like Hines Ward or James Farrior, the drama is so out of control that this is now unwatchable so much that every time I'm on Twitter I'm nervous that I see another bad news on the Steelers.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    There was misbehavior in Noll's time and he managed it to the degree it was a distraction. That margin has changed. Tomlin repeatedly fails to manage the distraction of drama. It seems that the only tool in his box is rhetoric to the media with his straight-faced catch phrases. Mr. Tomlin: it's not working! It's as if this whole team needs an intervention. What player is going to step up and be the leader cause it ain't going to be Tomlin. And along with the writer, I've always been a Tomlin supporter, but I am wondering if he has what it takes to take us back to the promised land.
    That's taking quite a bit out of historical context. It is impossible to compare Noll to Tomlin when it comes to such things because Noll didn't have to deal with ESPN and other 24 hour news organizations and national talk shows hungry for information blowing up every little story. Then, there's the internet, which was just a few universities and the US military tied together on a network at that time called ARPAnet. So, Noll didn't have to deal with someone's mother-in-law's next-door-neighbor blogging something and having it blow up, or having half-a-dozen reporters scouring the internet for anything that might make and article, and then have those things bounce back and forth as though in a reverb chamber. Finally, Noll didn't have to deal with social media that instantly bypasses the filters of time and second thoughts, let alone local sports personalities that might choose to ignore certain quotes or off-colored remarks.

In this day and age, there's drama. Period. You can't point out a team that doesn't have drama. Patriots? Please. Deflate gate alone spanned two years of intense drama. The relationship between Brady and the coaches and his personal trainer? Yeah. Of course, there was also Brady missing OTAs and instead throwing footballs on a yacht in Monaco as he was pimping for Tag Heuer. Ex-Patriots ripping the organization because of the way they treat their players (see, for instance, Cassius Marsh), and so on.

IMO, the funniest thing is when the media, who drums up and sends every little thing through the echo-chamber to create all the drama then turns around and claims the coaches aren't doing a good enough job of limiting it.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    That's taking quite a bit out of historical context. It is impossible to compare Noll to Tomlin when it comes to such things because Noll didn't have to deal with ESPN and other 24 hour news organizations and national talk shows hungry for information blowing up every little story.
    That's what I said! Noll managed it to the degree it was a distraction. Things have changed. No passes given.

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    That's taking quite a bit out of historical context. It is impossible to compare Noll to Tomlin when it comes to such things because Noll didn't have to deal with ESPN and other 24 hour news organizations and national talk shows hungry for information blowing up every little story. Then, there's the internet, which was just a few universities and the US military tied together on a network at that time called ARPAnet. So, Noll didn't have to deal with someone's mother-in-law's next-door-neighbor blogging something and having it blow up, or having half-a-dozen reporters scouring the internet for anything that might make and article, and then have those things bounce back and forth as though in a reverb chamber. Finally, Noll didn't have to deal with social media that instantly bypasses the filters of time and second thoughts, let alone local sports personalities that might choose to ignore certain quotes or off-colored remarks.

In this day and age, there's drama. Period. You can't point out a team that doesn't have drama. Patriots? Please. Deflate gate alone spanned two years of intense drama. The relationship between Brady and the coaches and his personal trainer? Yeah. Of course, there was also Brady missing OTAs and instead throwing footballs on a yacht in Monaco as he was pimping for Tag Heuer. Ex-Patriots ripping the organization because of the way they treat their players (see, for instance, Cassius Marsh), and so on.

IMO, the funniest thing is when the media, who drums up and sends every little thing through the echo-chamber to create all the drama then turns around and claims the coaches aren't doing a good enough job of limiting it.
    Not to mention the Steelers draw a crowd, viewership, and clicks so they're basically a lightning rod under a microscope.. your post is spot on. Thanks for saving me the key strokes.
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

if i was an owner, i would give bonuses to players that don't have social media accounts

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Yup. this all makes total sense. We finally know why the Steelers don't win every game. Social media and a soft coach.

Basically there are entire sports channels, radio stations, and websites that are totally dependent on the NFL for their content and therefore viewers/listners/readers. There simply is not 24/7/365 actual NFL news. Certainly not if you do not want to engage in detailed breakdowns of scheme and technique. That type of granular analysis is not why most of these talking heads have jobs.

So we get all these "debate" inducing questions. Does Tomlin go too easy on players? Is Andy Dalton better than Ben? It is just non-sense and noise. Then hardcore fans buy into the trap. We read about how AB is a brand more than a person and become convinced that this is what is holding back our team from winning a title.

Yeah. Sure the dude who lives in front of the JUGS machine. Who runs better routes than all but 3 or 5 other human beings ever. Who catches anything that comes within sight of him. That dude.

Yeah it is social media account that is what the players are thinking about while the Jags o-line pushes them around. I bet if Sean Spence wasn't concerned with AB's Instagram and Bell's contract he would've been much faster in his outside pursuit and not gotten blown out of gaps like he was made of tissue paper.

Artie Burns wouldn't have his 1-3 brain cramps per game if only Tomlin would ban social media.

People live in this fantasy land where in these bygone days of the NFL coaches exerted ultimate control over players and their actions. Players lived and died for the team and the coach - doing nothing to distract from their singular shared goal of a championship. And only then were they able to overcome all obstacles and win it all. I mean that sounds great when it is narrated by Steve Sabol and NFL films, but it is and always has been a load of crap.

The first hero of the SB age was so hungover when he went into the game he could barely run. This is by his own admission. Wonder if that distracted the other players? I'm guessing they didn't give a shit. Most of those Lombardi era Packers stars had severe gambling problems. Apparently in the 70's and '80's most of the NFL was on drugs.

But yeah, distractions man. Distractions.

Mojouw, you always make great arguments. Thorough job of breaking down each aspect. My problem, however, is the collective. It just keeps piling up. And when the owner has to step in and say what the coach should’ve said, it’s embarrasing. So while one can explain away every infraction with a boys will be boys dismissal, it’s the never-ending pile-up that bothers me.

And for the record, I was a dope-head when I was a teenager, but is that an excuse to fail to parent my kids?

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

If Tomlin took this "journalist's" criticism to heart and somehow eliminated all the social media drama, then this "journalist" would suddenly find himself unemployed. This criticism is insincere and self- serving. This is even better than the average sh%tposting that passes for journalism these days, it's a sh%tpost about all the sh%tposting. I guess I have to give him some props for that.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Mojouw, you always make great arguments. Thorough job of breaking down each aspect. My problem, however, is the collective. It just keeps piling up. And when the owner has to step in and say what the coach should’ve said, it’s embarrasing. So while one can explain away every infraction with a boys will be boys dismissal, it’s the never-ending pile-up that bothers me.

And for the record, I was a dope-head when I was a teenager, but is that an excuse to fail to parent my kids?
    You make a good point about lines and consequences. I was a wayward teenager and 20 something as well. I know educate young people for a living - so I do get it -- I think.

But Tomlin and Rooney are kinda going at different purposes. The coach is paid to win football games on Sundays and is kinda sorta not supposed to care about much else. The owner has to sell the franchise and he can't keep people buying tickets and merchandise if the general public thinks all his employees are jerks. I actually would love it if as a coach I could just do football things and the owner could handle PR tempests in a teacup.

BTW - wasn't Mitchell (the old DL coach) specifically kicked upstairs to handle this kinda crap?

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I think the Pats have more drama surrounding them. I mean all the allegations of cheating and one of their players arrested for murder. Fire Belichick?

Brown threatening someone on twitter is nothing, at least he didn't go all Scarface like Hernandez did

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I hate when the press use the word “distraction” as if football players genuinely get distracted away from whatever they normally do at any given time.

It’s like picturing someone yell “squirrel” during a practice drill, so they all turn to look, and thus fail to learn something they otherwise would have learned.

It’s ridiculous. There is NOTHING IN THE WAY OF “DRAMA” going on that actually distracts football players from being better football players.

Maybe a couple guys will discuss Bell during their off time when they otherwise would have talked about basketball or something else. But neither subject DISTRACTS them away from otherwise being better at football.

Where was the drama with the eagles last year?...Mike McCarthy is not perfect, but the packers have very few drama in his tenure.

Seriously, the question is worth asking if Tomlin still has control of his team ... Same thing with Pete Carroll with Seattle.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

And why do fans buy into the “distraction” nonsense?

Why do they claim to be sick of the “drama”?

You ARE the drama! Or at least part of it. The drama means stories that the press runs with because they know that all the fans who claim to be “sick of the drama” will be their audience. People GENUINELY sick of these stories (that DO NOT MAKE FOOTBALL PLAYERS INTO WORSE FOOTBALL PLAYERS” won’t read or watch it. Because you, as an American, have the right to change the channel or read about something else.

- - - Updated - - -

Don’t know why I couldn’t correct errors in that post. But you guys are smart enough to decipher it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    You make a good point about lines and consequences. I was a wayward teenager and 20 something as well. I know educate young people for a living - so I do get it -- I think.

But Tomlin and Rooney are kinda going at different purposes. The coach is paid to win football games on Sundays and is kinda sorta not supposed to care about much else. The owner has to sell the franchise and he can't keep people buying tickets and merchandise if the general public thinks all his employees are jerks. I actually would love it if as a coach I could just do football things and the owner could handle PR tempests in a teacup.

BTW - wasn't Mitchell (the old DL coach) specifically kicked upstairs to handle this kinda crap?
    What do you think about stuff like live-streaming on social media in the locker room? Would you concede that’s on the coach?

I never heard that about Mitchell.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Where was the drama with the eagles last year?...Mike McCarthy is not perfect, but the packers have very few drama in his tenure.

Seriously, the question is worth asking if Tomlin still has control of his team ... Same thing with Pete Carroll with Seattle.
    If the question has to keep being asked, the only thing that’s gonna make it go away is winning the Super Bowl.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    You ARE the drama! Or at least part of it. The drama means stories that the press runs with because they know that all the fans who claim to be “sick of the drama” will be their audience. People GENUINELY sick of these stories (that DO NOT MAKE FOOTBALL PLAYERS INTO WORSE FOOTBALL PLAYERS” won’t read or watch it. Because you, as an American, have the right to change the channel or read about something else.
    ^This, which is precisely why I never click on these links; that would simply reward them for sh^tposting and encourage more of it. I would prefer it if I never had to see any of it, but somebody will always be sure to bring it to my attention. :/
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

I think you are smart and I respect all of your insight into the game. Honestly, I love your posts and agree with a lot of what you say... but I still don’t know what you are physically picturing going on (that “Tomlin must stop) happening that makes them execute a SINGLE play differently in a game.

Are they not watching film because it’s drama time? Not concentrating during a drill because Tomlin didn’t do something he could have done to win more?

What drama exactly are you picturing? What does it look like? What would have been going on differently with any of our players if no drama (worth reporting) did something to distract that player away from being better?

What do you think about stuff like live-streaming on social media in the locker room? Would you concede that’s on the coach?

- - - Updated - - -

If the question has to keep being asked, the only thing that’s gonna make it go away is winning the Super Bowl.
    I mean it's been a long time the last time the Packers won the super bowl, despite that, not a lot of drama in this team.

And correlation does not equal causation.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe I’m getting some posters’ opinions confused with others’.

But all my questions are for everyone.

I think you are smart and I respect all of your insight into the game. Honestly, I love your posts and agree with a lot of what you say... but I still don’t know what you are physically picturing going on (that “Tomlin must stop) happening that makes them execute a SINGLE play differently in a game.

Are they not watching film because it’s drama time? Not concentrating during a drill because Tomlin didn’t do something he could have done to win more?

What drama exactly are you picturing? What does it look like? What would have been going on differently with any of our players if no drama (worth reporting) did something to distract that player away from being better?
    Last year had too much drama despite our 13-3 record

Bell and his holdout, Brown and the Gatarade in Baltimore, Martavis Bryant, the situation of James Harrison at the end of the season, the comments of Tomlin at the end of November on the pats, etc.

This season right now, it's not too bad except for the situation of Bell ...

I actually LIKE hearing all I can about that Steelers during airtime and site space that otherwise would be on the Patriots or something.

I think stuff like Bell’s hold out physically affects the team. But that’s not “drama” in the locker room that Tomlin is supposed to... do something about According to some.

But I have no idea what Tomlin is supposed to do and why exactly.

Of course, it's not all the fault at Tomlin(I don't blame Tomlin for the Bell situation), but I think the locker room has been too loose in the last couple years.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure. Livestreaming the locker room was dumb. And it was addressed and stopped. It isn't like Tomlin can be a clairvoyant and decipher what idiotic thing one of his moron players is going to try and get away with next.

As to Mitchell -- "In his new role, according to a Steelers press release, Mitchell will “oversee staff development, work with current and former players in career development and assist coach Mike Tomlin in community-related events.” https://triblive.com/sports/steelers...-john-mitchell

So I guess it is more ceremonial than I originally thought. Maybe each team should hire a Vice President of Keeping a Lid on Idiocy ?

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Sure. Livestreaming the locker room was dumb. And it was addressed and stopped. It isn't like Tomlin can be a clairvoyant and decipher what idiotic thing one of his moron players is going to try and get away with next.

As to Mitchell -- "In his new role, according to a Steelers press release, Mitchell will “oversee staff development, work with current and former players in career development and assist coach Mike Tomlin in community-related events.” https://triblive.com/sports/steelers...-john-mitchell

So I guess it is more ceremonial than I originally thought. Maybe each team should hire a Vice President of Keeping a Lid on Idiocy ?
    Apparently they offered the same job to LeBeau, who said no thanks

The job offered Mitchell was very similar to the position offered to former defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau when the Steelers promoted linebackers coach Keith Butler to run the defense in 2015. LeBeau, though, declined the position because he still wanted to coach and be on the field.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201803270080

We do not think you are an effective coach anymore but we do not want to be seen as having fired you. Mitchell said I will cash those checks rather than go looking for a job with another organization at my age
    Thanks for the memories

I hate when the press use the word “distraction” as if football players genuinely get distracted away from whatever they normally do at any given time.

It’s like picturing someone yell “squirrel” during a practice drill, so they all turn to look, and thus fail to learn something they otherwise would have learned.

It’s ridiculous. There is NOTHING IN THE WAY OF “DRAMA” going on that actually distracts football players from being better football players.

Maybe a couple guys will discuss Bell during their off time when they otherwise would have talked about basketball or something else. But neither subject DISTRACTS them away from otherwise being better at football.
    I think people buy into it because they kinda think about the whole thing wrong. Most sports fans played some or a lot of sports. Have been around teams. But all those teams were likely unpaid. So I bet guys were prone to distractions. I remember when coaches I had in the past were going on and on about working out after practices and in the off-season and on weekends. I didn't listen because it was just high school sports and I wanted to do anything but that in my free time.

Now, if you would've told me that my livelihood depended on getting this stuff right and working out on my own it would've been a different story.

No NFL players wants to endanger his money. If nothing else, they all share that. These guys are not worried about AB's instagram when they are watching film on the Chiefs.

What is not ever talked about is what is likely to actually distract any human being including an NFL player:

Is this weird lump getting bigger?
    Did my shoulder always make a crunching sound?
    Is my partner cheating on me? They have been really distant lately?
    I wonder if I will have enough money to retire?
    I hope the kids are not sick.
    Have I lost a step?
    Can I even physically do what coach is asking me to? Maybe I don't have it anymore...
    Wonder if that dude I punched in that bar in the offseason is going to sue? Sell some video to TMZ?

I mean the list goes on and on. But those aren't "distractions". But dumb crap people say to reporters is. Makes no sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Apparently they offered the same job to LeBeau, who said no thanks

The job offered Mitchell was very similar to the position offered to former defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau when the Steelers promoted linebackers coach Keith Butler to run the defense in 2015. LeBeau, though, declined the position because he still wanted to coach and be on the field.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201803270080

We do not think you are an effective coach anymore but we do not want to be seen as having fired you. Mitchell said I will cash those checks rather than go looking for a job with another organization at my age
    Yeah. I thought I had seen something that he was intended or thinking about watching out for people being idiots. But that might have just been speculation on a message board somewhere during the off-season.

I'll take this one. I live in Wisco currently. Let's see Packers drama:

Who is calling the plays?
    Why aren't you calling the plays?
    Oh. Now you are calling the plays again...for how long?
    Why haven't you fired Dom Capers yet?
    When are you going to trade Randall Cobb?
    How much dope does prized draft pick Aaron Jones smoke?
    Why do you never sign free agents?
    Why are all of your DB draft picks absolutely wretched?
    Is Letroy Guion made entirely of PED's? I mean he has been suspended for 6 games in 2 years.
    Between 2015 and 2016 the Packers had 5 players suspended for various PED and substance abuse issues.

And all that is off the top of my head without even really thinking or Googling. You just don't hear about it because Green Bay is an 1+ drive from anywhere. It is really really cold and unpleasant here most of the NFL season. So it isn't like a ton of reporters come sniffing around for national stories.

I'll take this one. I live in Wisco currently. Let's see Packers drama:

Who is calling the plays?
    Why aren't you calling the plays?
    Oh. Now you are calling the plays again...for how long?
    Why haven't you fired Dom Capers yet?
    When are you going to trade Randall Cobb?

How much dope does prized draft pick Aaron Jones smoke?
    Why do you never sign free agents?
    Why are all of your DB draft picks absolutely wretched?

Is Letroy Guion made entirely of PED's? I mean he has been suspended for 6 games in 2 years.
    Between 2015 and 2016 the Packers had 5 players suspended for various PED and substance abuse issues.

And all that is off the top of my head without even really thinking or Googling. You just don't hear about it because Green Bay is an 1+ drive from anywhere. It is really really cold and unpleasant here most of the NFL season. So it isn't like a ton of reporters come sniffing around for national stories.
    Very little drama that the packers have are non football drama

I mean, I don't think that the Packers lockerroom is too loose.

The last time the packers had a major drama was during the saga of Brett Favre during the training camp in 2008

Very little drama that the packers have are non football drama

I mean, I don't think that the Packers lockerroom is too loose.

The last time the packers had a major drama was during the saga of Brett Favre during the training camp in 2008
    Fine. You win. GB is some modern day miracle of a franchise that only ever deals with football and hasn't had drama in a decade.

Why should facts and examples sway you from your entrenched position?

Surely the last two years of conversation about how and why Aaron Rodgers was estranged from his family and whether or not Olivia Munn and now Danika Patrick were making Rodgers less good at football because of their sexiness is certainly football related. The constant drumbeat of stories in the local sports media on these issues surely is primarily focused on football issues. Like can Danika identify a weakside blitz? I bet she can, she seems pretty savvy.

Fine. You win. GB is some modern day miracle of a franchise that only ever deals with football and hasn't had drama in a decade.

Why should facts and examples sway you from your entrenched position?

Surely the last two years of conversation about how and why Aaron Rodgers was estranged from his family and whether or not Olivia Munn and now Danika Patrick were making Rodgers less good at football because of their sexiness is certainly football related. The constant drumbeat of stories in the local sports media on these issues surely is primarily focused on football issues. Like can Danika identify a weakside blitz? I bet she can, she seems pretty savvy.
    Maybe you have right on the packers or other teams, but I still think that the steelers have the locker room a bit too loose

I'm not saying it's a circus like the Jets or the Bills under Rex Ryan, but it's the last thing I want to see happen with the Steelers!