Know you guys always like to hear about the data we collect from our Pittsburgh Steelers charting. I plan on doing this quarterly, so we’ll revisit after Week 4, but here’s some of the notable information from Week One against Cleveland. Keep in mind it is just one game, each gameplan will be unique, and the aggregate information – and how it compares to the past – is most important.

This is out of 89 plays, excluding the “no play” snaps.

The personnel groupings Keith Butler used Sunday.

3-4: 29 (35.6%)
Dime: 29 (35.6%)
Nickel: 25 (28.1%)
3-4 (small): 5 (5.6%)
2-2-7 Dollar: 1 (1.1%)

The “3-4 small” is the Steelers base 3-4 but with three corners and one safety instead of the traditional two corners/two safeties.

– Despite the Browns using plenty of heavy personnel, I didn’t see the Steelers once use their “over” front.

– One reader told me Bruce Arians said on the broadcast Mike Tomlin wants to try and run more nickel against 12/22 groupings. He did that twice, both in overtime. For the record, I think it’s a terrible idea.

– Butler blitzed on 27 of 54 opportunities, exactly half of the time. Again, just one game, but that’s a high figure. 18 of those involved 5+ rushers, 1/3 of the time. That’s also high.

He also used a three man rush four times, all on third down. The Browns converted two of them, from 7 and 15 yards out.

– No one blitzed more than Vince Williams, who did so a whopping 16 times.

Let’s look at it position-by-position.

read more

https://steelersdepot.com/2018/09/st...harting-notes/