Thread: Steelers Vs. Browns: Player Snap Counts And Analysis – Week 1

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Steelers Vs. Browns: Player Snap Counts And Analysis – Week 1

The Pittsburgh Steelers first regular season game of 2018 against the Cleveland Browns ended in a very disappointing 21-21 tie as the home team overcame a 14-point deficit in the fourth quarter to force an overtime period in which neither was able to score in. The initial snap counts from the Week 1 game in Cleveland have now been released and below is a quick recap of the notable numbers.

Offensive linemen – Nothing really sticks out about this position group other than rookie tackle Chukwuma Okorafor playing 17 total snaps as an extra lineman/tight end. Additionally, guard B.J. Finney filled in at right guard David DeCastro for a few snaps due to a minor injury.

Wide receivers – While rookie James Washington apparently logged 11 offensive snaps in Sunday’s game, he certainly was hard to spot when on the field and that’s likely because he wasn’t targeted any in the passing game. Washington also logged 5 special teams snaps against the Browns. Justin Hunter, on the other hand, played 51 total offensive snaps and as the season progresses, that number will likely start decreasing in lieu of Washington’s going up. Newcomer Ryan Switzer surprisingly played 7 offensive snaps in addition to handling the kickoff and punt return duties throughout the game.

Running backs – James Conner was the only Steelers running back to play offensive snaps against the Browns.

Tight ends – Backup Xavier Grimble played 22 offensive snaps on Sunday with Vance McDonald inactive for the game.

Defensive linemen – Not only did defensive tackle Daniel McCullers dress over L.T. Walton on Sunday, he played 10 total defensive snaps against the Browns to boot. Backups Tyson Alualu and Javon Hargrave played 29 and 24 defensive snaps, respectively.

Linebackers – Jon Bostic was taken off the field quite a bit in sub-packages on Sunday and it resulted in him playing 59 defensive snaps in total.

Cornerbacks – Cameron Sutton played 33 total defensive snaps with quite a few of them coming after starter Joe Haden left the contest in the second half with a hamstring injury. Slot corner Mike Hilton played 60 total defensive snaps.

Safeties – Rookie Terrell Edmunds not only started against the Browns, he played 74 of a possible 89 defensive snaps on Sunday. Veteran safety Morgan Burnett, however, only logged 40 total defensive snaps against the Browns. Sean Davis was the only Steelers defensive player to play every snap against the Browns.

read more

https://steelersdepot.com/2018/09/st...alysis-week-1/

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: Steelers Vs. Browns: Player Snap Counts And Analysis – Week 1

Switzer looks like a decent returner. Good to have a guy there so that AB doesnt need to return punts IMO.

McCullers getting playing time. Havent seen that .....ever.

Also interesting that Terrell Edmunds played 83% of the snap for his first NFL game...

Only 40% for Burnett

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Running backs – James Conner was the only Steelers running back to play offensive snaps against the Browns.
    This is a huge problem with Tomlin.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post
    This is a huge problem with Tomlin.
    Run the wheels off one back is how he rolls
    Thanks for the memories

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

I may be mistaken, but I thought I saw Switzer take a snap as a RB. Anyone else see that?
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    I may be mistaken, but I thought I saw Switzer take a snap as a RB. Anyone else see that?
    I saw that too. Maybe they consider that to be an H-back carry? I'm not sure...

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    about 3x. Wondering why it wasn't J-Sam instead though.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Run the wheels off one back is how he rolls
    Not quite true. Tomlin went with a RB committee in the past.

In 2008, the Steelers had a duo of Willie Parker and Mewelde Moore.

In 2010, there was Rashard Mendenhall and Isaac Redman.

The true head-scratching thing is that why he doesn't do this again.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post

Just guessing here, but maybe he got some analytics that changed his mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post

2008, Parker was often injured and our running game was just awful

Not true for 2010...Mendenhall had 324 carries....only 52 for Redman

2012 was the only year that the steelers had a RB committee under Tomlin and it was horrible...I mean the second longest run by the steelers in 2012 was by Byron Leftwith!!!

But yes, it's true that Tomlin does not know how to manage his running back...Ridley or Samuel are not Josh Harris ......I don't think.