Thread: Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger says he wasn't rusty heading into lackluster opener

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger says he wasn't rusty heading into lackluster opener

Ben Roethlisberger threw three interceptions and was responsible for five of the six turnovers committed by the Pittsburgh Steelers in their season-opening tie against the Cleveland Browns.

The veteran quarterback’s poor performance came after he played sparingly in the preseason – as has been the custom in recent years.

Roethlisberger started the third preseason game and logged 26 snaps. He completed 11 of 18 attempts for 114 yards and a touchdown. That was his only preseason activity.

But Roethlisberger said rust was not a factor against the Browns.

“I don’t think so,” Roethlisberger said Tuesday on his 93.7 FM weekly radio segment.

All three interceptions came in the first half, when he had a 35.1 passer rating. On the first interception, Roethlisberger threw into double coverage for Antonio Brown, and a third defender, rookie corner Denzel Ward, jumped in front of Brown for the pick.

“I think the first interception was me getting a little anxious,” Roethlisberger said. “The guy made a great play. That one may be feel-of-the-game stuff compared to (lack of) practice.”

Roethlisberger’s second interception was on a deep pass to Brown. Roethlisberger’s throw went one direction, broke broke the other way.

“It was a play we really hadn’t practiced, but we wanted to take a shot,” Roethlisberger said. “That has nothing to do with preseason reps.”

The third interception was a pass that deflected off tight end Jesse James fingers and was picked off by Ward.

“More playing time doesn’t affect those things,” Roethlisberger said.

Two days after the game, Roethlisberger was still trying to process the 21-21 tie.

“It’s crazy to think about,” he said. “You heard the adage win, lose or draw, and you don’t think about that draw too often.”

Roethlisberger also said the quarterback sneak called in the fourth quarter – the first by Roethlisberger in three seasons – was not a jab at former offensive coordinator Todd Haley, who didn’t like having the quarterback run those short-yardage plays.

“It was called on the sideline,” he said. “They called the play, there was no discussing it. We talked about it all week in practice. They gave us a specific look.”

read more

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers...kluster-opener

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Re: Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger says he wasn't rusty heading into lackluster opener

Throwing to triple coverage on AB, sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you get this. They were doing it all game, I honestly was hoping he threw it to Juju more, dude was just making plays

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Re: Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger says he wasn't rusty heading into lackluster opener

Ben just can't admit he sucked Brown's asses and couldn't perform to his level of expectation.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Ben just can't admit he sucked Brown's asses and couldn't perform to his level of expectation.
    ????

In fact, Roethlisberger said that the he was not rusty,so this is not the reason for its poor performance for him.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Ben just can't admit he sucked Brown's asses
    What does that even mean??

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Welcome to another year of the Ben Roethlisberger Radio Show Transcript....

Roethlisberger hasn’t spoken to Le’Veon Bell. “I have no clue what to expect,” he said...

He’s not happy about the NFL’s decision to uphold a non-fumble call on a Browns punt return. ...

Roethlisberger loved James Conner’s game....

His 15-yard scramble earned him some cred. “The guys actually, for the first time in a couple years, weren’t making fun of the way I was running. Now I’m in no way fast, but they said I looked actually kinda fast.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201809110094
    Thanks for the memories

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    What does that even mean??
    He let the Brown's tie ( beat) us through his turnovers. Although he say's he wasn't 'rusty', so what was the reason for his poor performance ? Not prepared ?

He let the Brown's tie ( beat) us through his turnovers. Although he say's he wasn't 'rusty', so what was the reason for his poor performance ? Not prepared ?
    Sometimes you just do not play well

Peyton Manning was always well prepared, but sometimes he had bad games ...

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Sometimes you just do not play well

Peyton Manning was always well prepared, but sometimes he had bad games ...
    I agree, but it's a bitch when it's against a DIVISION opponent. The way our division looks, any of the teams are possible takers.

I agree, but it's a bitch when it's against a DIVISION opponent. The way our division looks, any of the teams are possible takers.
    On to KC....

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

It was just Ben being Ben... Hopefully he got his clunker out of his system and reels off about 5-6 great games in a row.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Poor game plan too with all the sleepwalking in the first half instead of jumping out to a lead.
    All Defense!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Bullshit. He was clearly rusty.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Agreed, he was rusty. He was off target early in the game, making poor decisions under pressure, and having miscommunications with his receivers and line.

That's what rust is.

Best,
    -Slashy
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Poor game plan too with all the sleepwalking in the first half instead of jumping out to a lead.
    Let me get this clear. Your position is that the gameplan in the first half was to "sleep walk"? Like that was the actual agreed to plan? Because that is what the sentence you posted says.

I mean maybe we could talk about the multiple scoring plays that were missed in the first half. The game plan seemed fine. The execution was not. Is that closer to your meaning?

Steelers were at the Browns 18 in the first quarter when Bad Ben reared his head and threw his first pick. Prior to that they were moving the ball well and looked on their way to a TD.
    Late in the second quarter the Steelers were on the move for almost certainly a field goal when bad weather and Bad Ben conspired for another turnover.

So at halftime, minus the turnovers you are looking at a 13-0 at least score. That is hardly sleepwalking in a monsoon. That is turning the ball over. In the red zone no less. If we go back and look at the missed passes, not just the turnovers, Ben left another TD or two on the field in just the first half. The play was there. The call was made. The execution was not. That's almost totally on Ben.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

I just read something the Ben has some type of elbow injury?

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

If we go back and look at the missed passes, not just the turnovers, Ben left another TD or two on the field in just the first half. The play was there. The call was made. The execution was not. That's almost totally on Ben.
    Also agreed. And not just missed opportunities on scores either, but missed opportunities on plays to extend drives. Not because the receiver dropped the ball or ran the wrong route, but because Ben threw the ball at his feet, or behind him, etc.

All of his poor play is attributable to rust. I won't even blame it on the weather because I *know* Ben knows how to play in poor weather.

But also being fair, I don't blame Ben for being rusty. You can't shake off rust without playing in real games, and the decision to sit him during the preseason was above his pay grade. Furthermore, I'm not even mad that the decision was made. If all it cost us was a tie game instead of a win to ensure we didn't have to start without him, I'd say it's a good deal overall.

/ On to KC
    -Slashy
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="TD's & Beer has a brilliant future"> TD's & Beer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steel striker View Post
    that's the scuttlebutt

rub some dirt on it

uh-oh

Steelers RG David DeCastro has broken hand

Quote Originally Posted by steel striker View Post
    He probably hyperextended it stiff-arming Boddy- Calhoun in the face

/Fun play

I’m just glad that Ben sucking had given us something different to talk about other than Bell!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    He probably hyperextended it stiff-arming Boddy- Calhoun in the face

/Fun play
    He looked like Michael Vick on that play.