Thread: NFL admits ref was wrong to flag Myles Garrett for roughing Ben Roethlisberger

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

NFL admits ref was wrong to flag Myles Garrett for roughing Ben Roethlisberger

Of course it was, Ben isn't supposed to get roughing the QB calls. I'm sure it would have been the same for Brady!

Browns pass rusher
    Myles Garrettwas flagged for a hit on Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger on Sunday that the NFL now says was legal.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...oethlisberger/

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: NFL admits ref was wrong to flag Myles Garrett for roughing Ben Roethlisberger

They were wrong to flag a lot of things in that game ...
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: NFL admits ref was wrong to flag Myles Garrett for roughing Ben Roethlisberger

1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 4. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. Ryan Watts, S, Texas

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    They were wrong to flag a lot of things in that game ...
    Yep I agree with that

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

The only thing more abominable Sunday was the referees.

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    The only thing more abominable Sunday was the referees.
    every time I looked up at the game there was a flag for something. I told my wife they should get rid of the players and just have teams of refs
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

There were a few bad calls. Being a Steelers fan, here are the two that bugged me:

The “hold” on Javon Hargrave took it from 3rd-&-15ish from their own 4... to first down (from the 20?). The momentum switched, and instead of going three-&-out, the Browns had their only sustained drive of the game.

The punt that bounced off of Nick Chubb’s helmet. In full speed, you could actually see it better, because the ball suddenly changes direction (slightly). Physics!!! When slowed down, it was actually more difficult to see.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

They had to score three touchdowns just to get one touchdown because of flags. The hold on Pouncey was horrible.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Once that call was missed on the field IMO the review in New York correctly did not overturn it under the reemphasized (and I think proper) standard that replay review is only to overturn clearly blown calls rather than treat every replay review as a Zapruder film frame by frame breakdown of the video that resulted in the Jesse James catch cluster last year

At the time I saw it I thought the roughing penalty on Garrett was bullshit unless it is a penalty every time a defender’s upper body contacts the QB’s upper body on the way to the ground

League office probably will tell refs to lighten up on calling the weight of defender on QB penalty like they seem to have directed only call blatant improper use of helmet in tackling penalties
    Thanks for the memories

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

I understand the criticisms that the referees have since several years.

But the NFL is also to blame, since the league have done nothing to facilitate the referees' work....So many rules difficult to understand ...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Too many rules.

League falls over themselves trying to re-define a tackle, re-define a catch. Rinse and repeat.

Unbearable to watch.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    That statistic doesn’t mean the officials did a poor job. I love these media outlets that try to spin that as a bad thing and pin those penalties in the officials.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

That statistic doesn’t mean the officials did a poor job. I love these media outlets that try to spin that as a bad thing and pin those penalties in the officials.
    No,but that means he has too many stupid rules....

I prefer that the referees let the players play...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

No,but that means he has too many stupid rules....

I prefer that the referees let the players play...
    No doubt that the rules are too complicated and not only that but there’s a lot of gray within those rules and that’s where the problems really occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

No doubt that the rules are too complicated and not only that but there’s a lot of gray within those rules and that’s where the problems really occur.
    Agreed

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

That and players are not ready to play at full time game speed in game one of the regular season, which now serves to work out the rough edges that used to be addressed in preseason weeks three and four
    Thanks for the memories

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

STEALERS PAYED DA REFS!

Tomlin salty about not reversing the call on the punt

Thanks for the memories

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

That's ridiculous.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I think the worst part for me isn't just what is called a penalty. It's also what they don't call.

We all know about the illegal hit penalties and helmet-to-helmet hits which drive us all crazy, but they were allowing the Browns to blatantly hold because they couldn't block our guys. They let a Browns WR mug a CB for 10 yards to prevent an interception with no call.

It is driving me insane watching this butchering of the game with ridiculous calls in the name of safety, yet they allow game-changing type penalties to go uncalled that are within the game itself. I know...nobody wants to hear about officiating as a reason for winning or losing, but the officials took away a fumble on the kick, didn't call offensive pass interference that would have resulted in an INT, called a penalty they let go the rest of the game to take away and INT by the Steelers, the Brown player fumbled through the end zone, but said it wasn't Steelers ball because he touched it while out of bounds, etc.... That's a ton of influence on one game.

NFL football is nearly unwatchable for long stretches.