Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Big Ben: The double edged sword

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Big Ben: The double edged sword

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Except he brought them all the way back by halftime and the defense continued to shit the bed.

I know you hate the guy's guts, but he's NOT the reason the Steelers lost today.
    No one said he was. He was a PART of the reason.

I know, Ben stopped the Chiefs three consecutive drives to get the ball back.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    No one said he was. He was a PART of the reason.

I know, Ben stopped the Chiefs three consecutive drives to get the ball back.
    He accounted for zero turnovers today, so how was he part of the loss? Yeah, I know - he didn't go 60-60 for 800 yards and 10 TDs so he sucked.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

I'm not claiming that.
    Yeah, you are. That's exactly what you typed. Now please pipe down until you can think of something intelligent to say, preferably with some objective fact to support it.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Yeah, you are. That's exactly what you typed. Now please pipe down until you can think of something intelligent to say, preferably with some objective fact to support it.
    You're a moron. I told you what my claim is and you want to twist my words. I'm done with you.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    You're a moron. I told you what my claim is and you want to twist my words. I'm done with you.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Ben made some great plays but anything he threw deep was so far off target it was laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Probably a good thing, cause he is spanking you right now.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Ben made some great plays but anything he threw deep was so far off target it was laughable.
    To be fair, there was a lot of defensive holding going on that wasn't getting flagged. Not excusing the slow start, but I think the "off target" throws were the result of the defense disrupting the receivers, not inaccuracy on Ben's part.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

To be fair, there was a lot of defensive holding going on that wasn't getting flagged. Not excusing the slow start, but I think the "off target" throws were the result of the defense disrupting the receivers, not inaccuracy on Ben's part.
    That’s all fine but when the ball continuously sales far over the receivers head out of the back of the end zone or into the first row, that excuse really doesn’t fly. Ben’s “misses” were uncatchable no matter how open the receiver was. They had nothing to do with the disruption in most cases.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

That’s all fine but when the ball continuously sales far over the receivers head out of the back of the end zone or into the first row, that excuse really doesn’t fly. Ben’s “misses” were uncatchable no matter how open the receiver was. They had nothing to do with the disruption in most cases.
    Agreed. Of course he's not going to make all of those throws, but he needs to make a few of them. Spotty QB play is exactly what he's giving us. A lot of it is timing. Like the fly route with Washington on the 1st play and then when he missed Switzer on a key 3rd down conversion. Missing practice doesn't help in building chemistry with new WRs.

I was under the impression that those were throwaways. Could easily be wrong, tho'

Agreed. Of course he's not going to make all of those throws, but he needs to make a few of them. Spotty QB play is exactly what he's giving us. A lot of it is timing. Like the fly route with Washington on the 1st play and then when he missed Switzer on a key 3rd down conversion. Missing practice doesn't help in building chemistry with new WRs.
    Do you actually know anything about football? This is a serious question because it was obvious to even Fouts that Switzer sat down on the route when he was supposed to head to the sideline.

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    Do you actually know anything about football? This is a serious question because it was obvious to even Fouts that Switzer sat down on the route when he was supposed to head to the sideline.
    I'm done with Batman and Robin. Sorry I didn't include you the first time. Yes, I know football very well. I know that Switzer was open and Ben missed him because they weren't on the same page. I know that practice is where you perfect things like that and I also know that Dan Fouts played QB so of course he's going to side with the QB. We see communication issues between Ben and his WRs every game it seems, and it's never Ben's fault.

I'm done with Batman and Robin. Sorry I didn't include you the first time. Yes, I know football very well. I know that Switzer was open and Ben missed him because they weren't on the same page. I know that practice is where you perfect things like that and I also know that Dan Fouts played QB so of course he's going to side with the QB. We see communication issues between Ben and his WRs every game it seems, and it's never Ben's fault.

I was under the impression that those were throwaways. Could easily be wrong, tho'
    You may be right but it looked like to me there were some opportunities that he missed.

You may be right but it looked like to me there were some opportunities that he missed.
    I think it was about 50/50, to be honest, some of those were certainly missing, but I felt he was taking care of the ball on the others. Especially after last week forcing when he shouldn't have.
    Last edited by 43Hitman; 09-17-2018 at 08:48 AM.

I agree with you there... I just don't think he missed them due to poor accuracy. I think we saw lots of examples of errant throws in the Cleveland game, but he looked pretty good as far as I could tell in the KC game. He seemed to be putting the ball where he wanted it to be... but it's hard to know for sure without replays showing the other end.
    FWIW, Ben said he thought he was pulling some throws right.

analyst69

Exactly. Any deep pass down the sidelines ended up 10 yards out of bounds.

analyst69

Barry Reeger | Special to PennLive)

Though he played well down the stretch, the Steelers had to chase the game – in part – because Roethlisberger was significantly less accurate than Patrick Mahomes. On at least six occasions, Roethlisberger overthrew open receivers. That's once per 10 throws and one more overthrow of an open receiver than Mahomes had incompletions all game.

Still, the quarterback is due plenty of credit for keeping Pittsburgh in the game, especially with Antonio Brown often contained. Roethlisberger finished with 452 yards from 39-of-60 passing with 1 sack and 3 touchdowns while getting out dueled by Mahomes.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

The first half yesterday was the same or almost to the first half against the chiefs...2 first drive, the offense does nothing in its drives after it was 3 TD and an attempted FG...Against KC, it was 21-21 after the first half against TB .... the Steelers were leading 30-10.

It makes a difference when your defense can be just average, when you have no margin of error it's not easy!

Roethlisberger had a good game against KC even if it was not perfect and at least we will not hear that Ben is in decline for a week ...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I am about the weapons Ben has now:

AB
    Juju (3 straight 100 yd games)
    The Rookie Farmer Washington - he is looking more comfortable and looks to get better
    Glass McStiff Arm - When he's healthy he's dangerous and a good blocker. Bad thing is he is unreliable in terms of staying healthy
    The Outlaw - Dependable/never injured. Solid backup.
    James Conner - Loved that final drive to end the game.

All this is overshadowed by a fake defense.

For those who said that Ben was part of the problem against the chiefs ...

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    For those who said that Ben was part of the problem against the chiefs ...

It won't deter anyone from spewing the same misguided claims they made before.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Ben got on the field and stopped the Chiefs from scoring and got the ball back to score on Offense each time. Ben did it all. Ben is truly a dual threat QB. He can play all eleven positions on Defense as well as Quarterback. Damn, no wonder our Defense is so bad half the time, Ben unfortunately can't do two things at once!

He built up a 30-10 lead against Tampa Bay and deliberately stopped scoring for the entire second half so he can hold them off while he played Defense.
    Last edited by Edman; 09-27-2018 at 09:36 AM.