Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big Ben: The double edged sword

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Big Ben: The double edged sword

4 of his 6 pro bowl has been in his last 4 seasons.

I know the pro bowl do not say everything, but come on, to say that he is on the decline and his heart is no longer there, it's ridiculous.He was one of the best QB in the second half of the season last year.

For the decline, I heard that a lot in the last 5 years at least ...

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    Double edged sword all right.

Sharp edge: Ben can play great and lead his team to incredible victories.

Dull edge: Ben can play poorly and give games away to teams we have no business losing to.

Fortunately, Ben's sharp edge shows up more.

It's like Terry. He had a lot of clunker games, but who played better in big games than he did? You don't just find HOF quarterbacks at the supermarket. These guys are very rare.

For fans to not understand how fortunate we have been to have both of these guys as our quarterbacks with all the garbage that was on the field in between them is baffling to me.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    It's like Terry. He had a lot of clunker games, but who played better in big games than he did? You don't just find HOF quarterbacks at the supermarket. These guys are very rare.

For fans to not understand how fortunate we have been to have both of these guys as our quarterbacks with all the garbage that was on the field in between them is baffling to me.
    Just because the Steelers went 25 years without a quarterback doesn't mean we have to excuse Ben's performance Sunday. Not even Kordell played that horribly.

Ben, Terry, Neil, Brister regardless of who's under center. Five turnovers and nearly blowing a game all on your own is unacceptable. People are coming down extra hard this time, Especially when its been commonly blamed Steelers' failures all on Todd Haley. That he's the only one holding Ben and the Offense back, that he's the problem. Well, he's gone.

First game without Haley and Ben one of the worst performances of his career, arguably worse than Jacksonville. Time (and the excuses) are running out on Ben and this team.

What excuses????...Ben is like 135-63-1 in his career ..... He does not need an excuse!

His stats and win / loss record speak for themselves

I mean, Terry Bradshaw had an atrocious game in San Diego in 1979 ... bad game happens sometimes ... the important thing is not at the worst possible time.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Just because the Steelers went 25 years without a quarterback doesn't mean we have to excuse Ben's performance Sunday. Not even Kordell played that horribly.

Ben, Terry, Neil, Brister regardless of who's under center. Five turnovers and nearly blowing a game all on your own is unacceptable. People are coming down extra hard this time, Especially when its been commonly blamed Steelers' failures all on Todd Haley. That he's the only one holding Ben and the Offense back, that he's the problem. Well, he's gone.

First game without Haley and Ben one of the worst performances of his career, arguably worse than Jacksonville. Time (and the excuses) are running out on Ben and this team.
    Corky? Really? Corky gave away more games than Rotty has won. Okay I'm being a little hyperbolic with that last sentence, but to say Corky didn't have a game that bad sounds like revisionist history to me.

For Kordell...Ben has never been bad like this game by Kordell...

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...9812130tam.htm

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Ai thought it couldn’t get crazier, but it has!

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Ai thought it couldn’t get crazier, but it has!
    I think we've officially entered Bizarro World.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Fans really should actually watch the games instead of posting rants obviously based on a box score.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

I do watch every game. Admittedly, I didn't look at his stats before my post. So, they're pretty decent...but I'll stand by him being on the decline. No numbers will change my mind on that. If he pulls a Kordell today and throws 3 ints and we lose this game, it's not crazy to hear some Dobbs or Rudolph whispers.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Another fan that has it all figured out after one game.

Not even Kordell played that horribly.

Just to make a statement like that discredits anything you say on the subject. If you knew anything about football, those words wouldn't have made it to the keyboard and onto this message board.

Reality is not a place you are visiting with this post.

Who gives a crap if you excuse his performance or not. People like you have been bashing Ben for 15 years. If you keep saying it for a few more years, you'll finally be right and you can pat yourself on the back for your insight.

Too bad you'll be wrong for almost two decades.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    I'll stand by him being on the decline. No numbers will change my mind on that.
    Wow. Okay... So your opinion is so strong that objective fact is immaterial and no fan can question it. Have fun with that, I guess.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

decline or not, he is the only chance we have to win another SB this year. Every year Ben has a game like last week, just like Elway, and Favre. When you keep plays alive mistakes will happen, you take good with bad. Like a RB making extra effort for yards they are more likely to fumble. I doubt anyone wants Ben to play any different.

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    decline or not, he is the only chance we have to win another SB this year. Every year Ben has a game like last week, just like Elway, and Favre. When you keep plays alive mistakes will happen, you take good with bad. Like a RB making extra effort for yards they are more likely to fumble. I doubt anyone wants Ben to play any different.
    They think they do until he actually does and we don't see the same awesome results of most of his games.

analyst69

His sword is dull.

Quote Originally Posted by analyst69 View Post
    His sword is dull.

How dull is his sword again?

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Wow. Okay... So your opinion is so strong that objective fact is immaterial and no fan can question it. Have fun with that, I guess.
    Yeah, that's exactly what I said. I'm right and no one else's opinion matters. You really nailed that on the head. Ben is declining. That's my opinion. You disagree, I get it. Don't put words in my mouth.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Yeah, that's exactly what I said. I'm right and no one else's opinion matters. You really nailed that on the head. Ben is declining. That's my opinion. You disagree, I get it. Don't put words in my mouth.
    Oh, I didn't "put words in your mouth". I quoted you directly.
    No numbers will change your mind. No fan can question it. Your words, not mine.

You have the right to hold whatever groundless opinion you want, but when you try to insist that everyone agrees with you... well, that's just a whole 'nother level of dumb.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

You have the right to hold whatever groundless opinion you want, but when you try to insist that everyone agrees with you... well, that's just a whole 'nother level of dumb.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Ben threw 60 passes today with zero INTs. Passed Elway in total yards too btw. Even in decline he's better than 95% of what's out there.

Ben had good numbers today. I'm guessing you would claim he had a great game. What I saw was him leaving too many plays on the field and missing badly on some throws.

Ben had good numbers today. I'm guessing you would claim he had a great game. What I saw was him leaving too many plays on the field and missing badly on some throws.
    That's what happens when you attempts 60 pass and you have no room for error

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

So, now it's Roethlisberger's fault that this defense would probably struggle against a high school JV squad? OK.

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    That's what happens when you attempts 60 pass and you have no room for error
    Not to mention a defense that creates zero turnovers and gives up points on pretty much every single possession.

This isn't about what *I'm* claiming, it's about what *you're* claiming. You're claiming that whatever your opinion happens to be is fact, and that the stats are irrelevant. That's dumb. Then you're claiming that everyone else agrees with you, which is even dumber. Your conclusion may be correct or incorrect, but nobody can tell because your *argument* is so stupid. You're right. The facts don't matter. Nobody can persuade you otherwise. Everyone agrees with you. Okay, fine. So now pardon the rest of us while we pay attention to someone with a coherent argument and facts to back it up.

/ moving along...

Again, I'm in no way, shape, or form putting this on Ben. Defense was terrible, but the 1st quarter is what killed us. I believe our first 3 possessions were 3 and outs. Ben missed Washington on the first play of the game that could have been huge on how this game played out. He's got to start making some of those critical throws.

- - - Updated - - -

This isn't about what *I'm* claiming, it's about what *you're* claiming. You're claiming that whatever your opinion happens to be is fact, and that the stats are irrelevant. That's dumb. Then you're claiming that everyone else agrees with you, which is even dumber. Your conclusion may be correct or incorrect, but nobody can tell because your *argument* is so stupid. You're right. The facts don't matter. Nobody can persuade you otherwise. Everyone agrees with you. Okay, fine. So now pardon the rest of us while we pay attention to someone with a coherent argument and facts to back it up.

/ moving along...
    I'm not claiming that. My claim is the stats are misleading. Imo, today backed that up. He had great numbers, but left a lot of plays on the field that could have dictated this game.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    So, now it's Roethlisberger's fault that this defense would probably struggle against a high school JV squad?
    No, but it is Ben's fault for inaccurate passes and the dogshit first quarter. IF the refs hadn't intervened to stop another bad turnover, the Steelers are in a 28-0 hole and the game is pretty much over right then and there.

The Defense is its own abortion, as many on here will agree.

Spotty QB play + A Shitty Defense = a very bad season for the Steelers.

Again, I'm in no way, shape, or form putting this on Ben. Defense was terrible, but the 1st quarter is what killed us. I believe our first 3 possessions were 3 and outs. Ben missed Washington on the first play of the game that could have been huge on how this game played out. He's got to start making some of those critical throws.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not claiming that. My claim is the stats are misleading. Imo, today backed that up. He had great numbers, but left a lot of plays on the field that could have dictated this game.
    Not with the way our defense has played

I mean, if the steelers would have scored 7 TD, the chiefs would have scored 9!

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

No, but it is Ben's fault for inaccurate passes and the dogshit first quarter. IF the refs hadn't intervened to stop another bad turnover, the Steelers are in a 28-0 hole and the game is pretty much over right then and there.

Except he brought them all the way back by halftime and the defense continued to shit the bed.

I know you hate the guy's guts, but he's NOT the reason the Steelers lost today.

The Defense is its own abortion, as many on here will agree.

Ben missed 2 days of practice this week ... Of course he was not going to be perfect in this game ...

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Except he brought them all the way back by halftime and the defense continued to shit the bed.

I know you hate the guy's guts, but he's NOT the reason the Steelers lost today.
    Correct. Ben had us back in this game and within 5 at the end. Ran out of time or I believe he leads us to that winning TD at the end. That's the breaks sometimes.