Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big Ben: The double edged sword

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Big Ben: The double edged sword

I’m a Rodgers fan and respect what he did on Monday, but let’s be honest. He threw a 10 yard pass to Randall Cobb. Cobb did all the work. That was way more Cobb than anything to do with Rodgers. Rodgers didn’t win that game. Cobb did.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Rodgers was high as gas during this post game interview.

https://www.facebook.com/NFLMemez/vi...6023882804402/

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I’m a Rodgers fan and respect what he did on Monday, but let’s be honest. He threw a 10 yard pass to Randall Cobb. Cobb did all the work. That was way more Cobb than anything to do with Rodgers. Rodgers didn’t win that game. Cobb did.
    Bingo and, the media slurps him and, Brady so much it makes me sick!

Member Array title="SteelersCanadian is on a distinguished road">

He hit Cobb on one leg while scrambling to his off-side in a rapidly closing window against an athletic coverage linebacker.

He did a hell'uva lot more than flip a duck to Cobb 10-yards off the line of scrimmage.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelersCanadian View Post
    He hit Cobb on one leg while scrambling to his off-side in a rapidly closing window against an athletic coverage linebacker.

He did a hell'uva lot more than flip a duck to Cobb 10-yards off the line of scrimmage.
    Lol. He wasn’t scrambling. Two hops to the left isn’t scrambling and he pretty much threw a ten yard dart to Cobb who ran 65 yards and made the moves to score. The pocket/window was far, far, far from closing in on him. It’s more a Cobb victory than a Rodgers one and I’m probably a bigger Rodgers fan than most here. Cobb was able to make the move and use his blocks to get in the end zone.

Rodgers is as much a drama queen as Ben is.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Lol. He wasn’t scrambling. Two hops to the left isn’t scrambling and he pretty much threw a ten yard dart to Cobb who ran 65 yards and made the moves to score. The pocket/window was far, far, far from closing in on him. It’s more a Cobb victory than a Rodgers one and I’m probably a bigger Rodgers fan than most here. Cobb was able to make the move and use his blocks to get in the end zone.

Sorry. None of those words are true. There is a reason that people are going absolutely bonkers over what Rodgers did in the second half. It was amazing. Best injured performance since Emmitt Smith and his shoulder or maybe when Rivers played on no knees.

Rodgers leads Cobb away from the defense. Watch the play several times. As soon as Rodgers slides/limps out of the pocket, his receivers start adjusting routes for the scramble drill. Most stay on the left side of the hashes, anticipating that Rodgers will want to set and throw from that side of the field. Cobb sticks a foot in the ground and starts back to the right. At this point the designed portion of the play is over and has been since Rodgers limped to his left. Now, Rodgers anticipates that Cobb is going to break back to the right and throws it even further to the right, leading Cobb into oceans of open grass as the entire Bears defense had committed to the pass rush or the action of the other receivers. That is a lot of pre-catch "stuff" read and processed by the QB to "create" a situation where all Cobb had to do was catch a ball on the run and waltz in for the score.

It looks at first glance like a ton of Cobb, but Rodgers did several things that made that play possible while not really putting weight on one of his legs. Additionally the trust between Cobb and Rodgers is great to see on this play. Cobb has no idea what is to his right or behind him. But he trusts Rodgers to lead him there with the throw and it not turn into a get my face broken Anquan Boldin style situation. Much of that can not be coached and that is why people are going bananas over this.

Sorry there’s a lot true. Rodgers didn’t scramble and granted he made a nice throw and created the opening, Cobb was able to get open and took that ball to the house avoiding three potential tacklers. Rodgers made a great play and throw. The knob slobbing that he’s receiving for it doesn’t fit the accomplishment.

analyst69

Alleged rape that he said he would fight to clear his name....right up to the point he settled out of court to stop the case. If you remember Ben's attorney wanted the case moved and the judge wouldn't. Next thing you know Benny settles out of court.

Member Array title="SteelersCanadian is on a distinguished road">

This just isn't true, man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoXal3FPNYE

The Bears send five. The interior of the line actually does a decent job which allows Rodgers to "hop", as you'd call it, to his left and find Cobb on a scramble drill. The receivers have already adjusted to Rodgers' movements. The window was absolutely closing on Cobb. I was wrong before about the coverage linebacker part -- it's actually free safety Eddie Jackson in coverage. Look how close Jackson is to Cobb in the clip.

https://www.packers.com/video/can-t-...for-75-yard-td

Cobb sees Rodgers begin to break the pocket and adjusts back outside to allow for a window. Cobb's original route looked like a crosser but was blanketed by Jackson. Eddie was just unable to lock down the second-move that Cobb adjusts to mid-route. Rodgers fits the ball into about a 5-inch window. Really, go back and look at just how close Jackson gets to the ball. He's a cats whisker away from knocking it down.

I'm not going to disagree with you when you say you're a Rodgers fan. I am too. He's the greatest quarterback I've ever seen play the game - full stop. I just think you're underestimating what it took from Rodgers to get this play to work, particularly the accuracy and drive on the ball necessary - one on leg mind you - to get it to Cobb there. It's an unbelievable play by Randall in the open field but Rodgers puts the ball in the absolute perfect spot after sustaining a serious knee injury.

It was remarkable.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

da bears suck

Senior Member Array title="slippy will become famous soon enough"> slippy's Avatar

well. back to the point of this thread.

it seems what everyone is saying is ben is having more bad games than we can ever remember. he's getting old, it's sad an troubling.

but i think he's got some great games left!!!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I remember when TB was "washed up" and couldn't stay healthy. I still remember a game vs the Jets when TB's backup was getting killed and the defense was starting to fatigue and it looked like another disappointing loss. Bradshaw came in and led us to 3 2nd half TDs and we won that game. As great as I felt after that game, being a kid and wanting 'my guys' to stay young and play forever, I don't remember TB playing in another game after that or not winning one anyway. It's the same way with Ben now. He's become 'our guy' and we want to keep that going. Ben can still win us a championship but you see the cracks starting to appear. He's a HoFer, a Ring of Honor player, and will always be a Steeler great. So quit the bashing and cheer 'our guys' to another SB win. Before it really is too late.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slippy View Post
    it seems what everyone is saying is ben is having more bad games than we can ever remember.
    Slippy,
    I haven't seen anybody saying that.

Best,
    -Slashy
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I remember when TB was "washed up" and couldn't stay healthy. I still remember a game vs the Jets when TB's backup was getting killed and the defense was starting to fatigue and it looked like another disappointing loss. Bradshaw came in and led us to 3 2nd half TDs and we won that game. As great as I felt after that game, being a kid and wanting 'my guys' to stay young and play forever, I don't remember TB playing in another game after that or not winning one anyway. It's the same way with Ben now. He's become 'our guy' and we want to keep that going. Ben can still win us a championship but you see the cracks starting to appear. He's a HoFer, a Ring of Honor player, and will always be a Steeler great. So quit the bashing and cheer 'our guys' to another SB win. Before it really is too late.

Good post!

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Double edged sword all right.

Sharp edge: Ben can play great and lead his team to incredible victories.

Dull edge: Ben can play poorly and give games away to teams we have no business losing to.

Fortunately, Ben's sharp edge shows up more.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    Double edged sword all right.

Sharp edge: Ben can play great and lead his team to incredible victories.

Dull edge: Ben can play poorly and give games away to teams we have no business losing to.

Fortunately, Ben's sharp edge shows up more.
    Exactly. For each one of those horrible interceptions he throws, he makes 2-3 GREAT plays in return. That's just the type of guy he is. Favre was the same way.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

If Ben were to have another performance like last week in tomorrow's game, do we have a QB controversy?

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    If Ben were to have another performance like last week in tomorrow's game, do we have a QB controversy?
    Absolutely not. It would take more than half a season of bad play before we had a controversy.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

It would be a lack of respect if Roethlisberger is benched .....

I know it's not that you say, but I do not think that's going to happen, especially with the critics that the Giants had after having benched Eli Manning last season ...

Not even close

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Will we have... for some, we already do.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Cleveland last week was a BIG reality check.

While I'm sure everyone is rooting for Ben to do well, at the same time I believe there is a tiny subconscious thought permeating among Steeler Nation that maybe its time to begin moving on as soon as possible. Nobody will dare admit it, but I'm sure that is what people are thinking, especially after failing to beat New England last year and seeing a 13-3 season go up in smoke against the Jaguars and Ben's putrid performance last week. For a team with Super Bowl aspirations, they can't afford to be waiting on Ben to get it together for a few games or keep throwing up vomit. Todd Haley is gone. It's Ben's Offense 100%.

Let's be real and honest here. Ben isn't going to play forever. Yeah, Ben said he wants to play 3-5 more years, but here comes the elephant in that statement: Nobody said those 3-5 more years were going to be at a high level, and no one said those 3-5 years were going to be successful for the Steelers. This is beginning to remind me of Brett Favre's last years in Green Bay. Favre was the best thing to happen to Green Bay in years. Packer fans kept holding on to him, holding out hope that Brett will take them back to the top, but it never did because Favre's skills were declining and became excessively sloppy and turnover prone. Brett literally threw away a NFC Championship game at home. Brett also developed a diva attitude and thought he was untouchable in the organization. He could talk and announce retirement repeatedly and hold the Packers FO and coaches hostage.

Ben practiced Friday and will start Sunday. I believe there's a load of pressure on Ben to perform tomorrow. If he is anything resembling underwhelming and/or the Steelers lose to Kansas City, it will only make "the talk" louder.

Ben needs to destroy Kansas City big time.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

I have to disagree. He's been on a downward spiral now for the past couple seasons. I don't think any fan can question that. He's not getting any younger or better with age. You also have to question whether or not his heart is fully in it. The clock is ticking for Big Ben. Back to back games of 3 or more ints will really make these coaches take a hard look at Rudolph or Dobbs, imo. It may be a slap in the face to Ben, but the NFL is a business. If the coaches feel someome else puts us in a better situation to win games, then I don't see them hesitating.

Now, with all that being said, I could easily see him turn it around this week, and have a great game and everyone forgets about his awful week 1 outing.

You also have to question whether or not his heart is fully in it.
    Lets not get ridiculously hyperbolic or anything.

Senior Member Array title="slippy will become famous soon enough"> slippy's Avatar

yinz are otta yer minds!

ben would have to have a five game losing streak, that was mostly hiss fault, to be benched.

even at 2-6, i still think he starts game 9.

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    Lets not get ridiculously hyperbolic or anything.
    I'm not just talking the Browns game. We haven't seen the same Ben we're accustomed to seeing for a couple seasons now. Him having contemplated retirement has to make someone wonder how much will power he has left in the tank to keep playing football. Sure, he says all the right things, but actions speak a lot louder than words. No hyperbole here, just stating my observation.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

He's been on a downward spiral now for the past couple seasons. I don't think any fan can question that.
    *Raises hand* I can question that. I'm lookin' at his stats on NFL.com, and I don't see anything to indicate a "downward spiral". In fact, 2017 was one of his best years unless I'm reading these numbers wrong.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

This has run right off the rails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    This has run right off the rails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sure has. Despite facts staring them right in the face(if they bothered to look) they continue with this narrative that he's washed up. Or that his heart isn't into it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    Sure has. Despite facts staring them right in the face(if they bothered to look) they continue with this narrative that he's washed up. Or that his heart isn't into it anymore.
    Fans like to worry. I dunno that's all I got. I mean u know I tune in each week worrying about how they'll lose.