Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Heroes/Goats @ Cleveland

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Heroes/Goats @ Cleveland

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I want to be clear, I respect Alex and his work. I also know that he knows more about football than I do.
    Does Alex have any background at all in football?

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Is there any context for this? Follow up information? Or examples from 2018 season to illustrate his point? Or is it just 140 characters of “hot take”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there any context for this? Follow up information? Or examples from 2018 season to illustrate his point? Or is it just 140 characters of “hot take”?

The lack of communication is the big reason why Butler must be on the hot seat.

I mean, things like that should never happen since that's where free big play comes in for the opponents like it happens at least once a game in the second half of last season ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The lack of communication is the big reason why Butler must be on the hot seat.

I mean, things like that should never happen since that's where free big play comes in for the opponents like it happens at least once a game in the second half of last season ...
    So we have one play in the 2018 season where it looks sloppy that has been pointed out so far. From what I can tell everyone else is lined up and ready to go and we have the two new guys that have never played together "communicating". Sorry, I'm not taking that as evidence of some pervasive and ongoing problem. In previous seasons, maybe maybe not. But there are two new position coaches and a revamped scheme for 2018 with some new players. So clean slate for me.

I think this is just an easy narrative and a lazy attempt to have a "hot take" to generate views in a crowded media landscape for NFL coverage.

I don't think this is just one play

I don't think this is just one play

I just read up on this guy and he is simply a self-made draft analyst and football Twitterer. What tape did he watch? Not sure the ALL 22 is out through the usual distribution outlets yet. Do we know that this cat pays for the subscription to get the All-22 and spends time breaking it down?

I mean since there are SOOOOOO many examples, maybe he could actually provide one.

I think I am just getting grumpy with Twitter being this definitive source of information. It is such a brief form of communication that there is no room for explanation or even supporting evidence. It is just flat definitive statements that are seemingly not attached to any actual information.

I hope you are right on it and at least we did not have blown coverage last sunday I think.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

I'm sure every team has 1-3 plays where they miscommunication's.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

If I remember correctly, on that particular play the Browns ran a screen to the offense's left. Bostic immediately turned around, read the screen, and was there to tackle the back if the pass was completed.

I don't know how widespread this problem is, but I didn't see as much of it in this first week than we saw for much of the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    If I remember correctly, on that particular play the Browns ran a screen to the offense's left. Bostic immediately turned around, read the screen, and was there to tackle the back if the pass was completed.

I don't know how widespread this problem is, but I didn't see as much of it in this first week than we saw for much of the last few years.
    Exactly! So in reality and any detailed discussion of the play of the Steelers defense on Sunday appearances are demonstrated to be deceiving.

But on Twitter you can find a single frame image to "prove" your point and you can create an easy and popular narrative about the team and their performance.

Ledyard's rep gets increased that he is one of those guys who "eats tape" and "breaks it all down" and generates more followers and hopefully drives traffic to his draft site. All the while, he has the convenient rhetorical construct of being concerned with "process" rather than results. This is really great - because it allows him to never be wrong.

Twitter Follower: "Hey, on that play you pointed out the defense stopped them and Bostic read the screen properly."

Ledyard: "Well, yeah. But that is just because the Browns are bad at execution. The processfor the Steelers defense is troubling on that play. To see two players unclear of their assignments...." And your off to the races on whatever point you want to make regardless of anything that did or might have actually happened.

Twitter Follower: "Wow. You really break this stuff down into the fine details. You're so knowledgeable. Thanks for creating my opinion for me."