Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Leveon Bell Watch thread

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Re: rumors flowing now Bell wont show till week 10

Flush him like a turd.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Not only that, but if he thinks he's getting a bigger contract than Gurley, he's smoking rocks. Gurley set the ceiling on RB contracts, since he's the #1 RB in the league. Why would anyone give him better than #1 RB money for less production?
    It just takes a dumb team to do that and I think the dolphins are going to sign Bell next year and they're going to regret it like Mike Wallace.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Let him ride the bench basically and then trade him at the end of the season, I think he had problems with the front office at oakland and had a problem playing behind bo jackson or something. FO refused to trade him even though he asked a bunch of times
    There was a bit more to it than that. Rumor has it that Allen was messing around with the wrong woman. Al was very loyal... and very vindictive when he felt disrespected.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Well is he isn't going to be traded since the trade deadline is before week 10.

James is ready.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    they can rescind it at any time up until he actually signs it ....

but if he isnt showing up may as well just keep those game checks towards next years cap and once he signs trade him and get something ...

if we rescind now we will not get any compensation when he signs elsewhere so get compensation from someone else for giving them early negotiation privileges and a chance for him to learn the systems prior to 2019 .... problem is the bigger a dick he proves to be the less inclined other teams may be to pony up much for his rights to service and early negotiation time .... they may feel as though its a short term rental with little chance a long term contract based on his actions with the steelers in the negotiation process

At some point, the equation becomes "what more could we get with the money, than we would be likely to get with the 3rd-round comp pick if he does show up and leaves in the offseason." Ironically, that gap becomes smaller and smaller the further into the season this goes. Either way, even if he sat out the full 10 weeks and we had the choice of rescinding the tag and saving $5 million, or allowing him to sign and get a 3rd-rounder two years from now ... we could still get a player who was equal or better for the $5 million than whoever we'd be likely to draft between the 3rd and 4th rounds. And we'd be getting an established NFL player, not a lottery ticket.

Also, the longer the season goes on, the less it would cost someone for a short-term rental and the more likely a sign-and-trade opens up.

I think the real reason is either more like what you said - he miscalculated how far in advance he needed to stop smoking weed - or my latest theory that he just now realized how out of shape he is. And either one of those would send his future value plummeting if he showed up that way now.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    There was a bit more to it than that. Rumor has it that Allen was messing around with the wrong woman. Al was very loyal... and very vindictive when he felt disrespected.
    Oh yeah, that'd get you in the doghouse haha. I wasn't sure of specifics, all I know is the reporters kept talking about how unhappy he was with his situation, but Al Davis kept tormenting him by keeping him on the bench and refusing to trade him. But from a fan's perspective, how do you put Bo on the bench for anybody? That dude was a BEAST. Still to this day, I don't think I've ever seen a RB with more raw talent than Bo. Well maybe other than Barry.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

If Bell wants to be traded and they can get a young LB, they should bounce on it, but it's not how the Steelers do business.

I would be down to trade Bell to the 49ers for Reuben Foster.

But Imo he'll re think about holding out once he starts losing money.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

I had a feeling something like this was coming down the pike and, it's a shame Bell is more like Revis all about the money. I get it he is the best RB in the NFL and, I'm starting to think he is wearing down already. I still think he has a few good seasons left and, unless your a QB or kicker it's a younger man's game!

The"concrete cobbler" Array title="cold-hard-steel has a brilliant future"> cold-hard-steel's Avatar

Trade em for a six pack ! It don't even have to be cold . (Buddy Ryan concerning Earnest Jackson).
    Two bags are guarenteed to fit all sizes ,or your money back. If you are not completely satisfied call 1-800-GOO-DHELL We show 5 bags to choose from,most problems only need 2 bags .

Quote Originally Posted by steel striker View Post
    I had a feeling something like this was coming down the pike and, it's a shame Bell is more like Revis all about the money. I get it he is the best RB in the NFL and, I'm starting to think he is wearing down already. I still think he has a few good seasons left and, unless your a QB or kicker it's a younger man's game!
    Revis was lucky to have an incompetent team like the jets that fed his ego .... I am convinced that if Revis would have been drafted by the steelers in 2007 and that he holdout during the 2010 training camp, he would never have the generous contract that Revis had after.

Sometimes, the chemistry is more important than the talents.....

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    At some point, the equation becomes "what more could we get with the money, than we would be likely to get with the 3rd-round comp pick if he does show up and leaves in the offseason." Ironically, that gap becomes smaller and smaller the further into the season this goes. Either way, even if he sat out the full 10 weeks and we had the choice of rescinding the tag and saving $5 million, or allowing him to sign and get a 3rd-rounder two years from now ... we could still get a player who was equal or better for the $5 million than whoever we'd be likely to draft between the 3rd and 4th rounds. And we'd be getting an established NFL player, not a lottery ticket.

Also, the longer the season goes on, the less it would cost someone for a short-term rental and the more likely a sign-and-trade opens up.

I think the real reason is either more like what you said - he miscalculated how far in advance he needed to stop smoking weed - or my latest theory that he just now realized how out of shape he is. And either one of those would send his future value plummeting if he showed up that way now.
    I get it , but how do you trust him to be that player and not a player playing tentatively who is looking out for himself more so than the team in the moment ?

will he lower that shoulder for that extra yard when you have to have it or look to step out of bounds a half yard short and forcing a punt

if Conner is playing strong the decision is simple ( for me anyways ) Trade Bell and get something for 2019 instead of keeping him and letting him walk and in 2020 getting a 3rd round pick
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I get it , but how do you trust him to be that player and not a player playing tentatively who is looking out for himself more so than the team in the moment ?

will he lower that shoulder for that extra yard when you have to have it or look to step out of bounds a half yard short and forcing a punt

if Conner is playing strong the decision is simple ( for me anyways ) Trade Bell and get something for 2019 instead of keeping him and letting him walk and in 2020 getting a 3rd round pick
    No, you misunderstood, I didn't mean Bell would be that better player for $5 million/6 games, I meant even if rescinding the tag only saved us $5 million at that point, we could get a better free agent with that than we could draft with the comp pick.

I am not counting on anything more out of Bell - if this is true, he has quite likely checked out mentally already, and if/when he does return to the team it'll be a joke.

He's not there within a week or two and in top condition, you basically have to treat it as if he's not going to be on the team anymore, and do what you can to set yourself yp well for the future.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

There's no need to rescind tag unless he shows up to sign and you decide you don't want him. His holdout is for the purpose of getting the rescind so he can sign his big deal elsewhere. I don't believe his strategy is to save his body. That may be all he gets out of it, but he wants out and is trying to force the Steelers hand.

The Gurley deal and the Mack deal are serving as his inspiration.

- - - Updated - - -

I am looking forward to Conner playing maybe more than any player in recent history. I hope he blows it up with a huge day.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Revis was lucky to have an incompetent team like the jets that fed his ego .... I am convinced that if Revis would have been drafted by the steelers in 2007 and that he holdout during the 2010 training camp, he would never have the generous contract that Revis had after.

Sometimes, the chemistry is more important than the talents.....
    I agree 100% Although at this point in their careers, Bell is probably the better RB still, I would feel nervous if he was coming straight into the lineup and starting vs Cleveland. He's taken 0 snaps with the starting offense in training camp, preseason, and practice. If he were to start, the struggles he faced early in the year last season would without a doubt, happen all over again. Conner however, has been putting in the work and busting his tail.

Factor in that this year, we have a different OC, so there was probably more than just minor changes with how the offense is run. Conner has been on the ship for the entire offseason, and is more likely to be on the same page as the rest of the offense. Honestly I think he gives us a better chance of winning this game by being in there, opposed to having Bell in there.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    There's no need to rescind tag unless he shows up to sign and you decide you don't want him. His holdout is for the purpose of getting the rescind so he can sign his big deal elsewhere. I don't believe his strategy is to save his body. That may be all he gets out of it, but he wants out and is trying to force the Steelers hand.

- - - Updated - - -

I am looking forward to Conner playing maybe more than any player in recent history. I hope he blows it up with a huge day.
    that is why If it was my decision , I do not rescind ( after much thought ) ... I keep making the money back each week he does not show up and once he does I let him sign and then I control his destiny to a new team and you can damn sure bet it is to a shit show team for the remainder of the season and I spend the draft pick in 2019 instead of waiting to 2020 for a comp pick

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post

In these comments by Bell's agent Adisa Bakari today I am guessing he was referring by implication to those two mega-deals, one of which involved the market rate for RBs blowing up and the other involving an All Pro forcing a trade

[The interviewer] then pointed out that Bakari said "barring something exceptional" Bell would have the same plan as he did in 2017.

"Well there you go," Bakari said. "We had something exceptional to occur."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/l...he-might-miss/

Of course Gurley and Mack are in their primes - as has been posted here repeatedly, given past performances by RBs Bell is at the end of his

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Bell is NOT Walter Payton. Bell is an excellent back, but much of his success can be attributed to the Steelers system. Let's see how many games he can win with his legs next season. My instincts say he is worth 2 victories on a crappy team which is not worth $19m.

He needs to man up and report if he can play without issue, otherwise Bell is a douchebag.
    All Defense!

Nice thought, but can't do it. There is a two week gap in the calendar between the last day for trades and the last day to sign the franchise tag. So, Bell signs, there's nothing that can be done but let him sit on the bench.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Gilbert’s response was great.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Bell is NOT Walter Payton. Bell is an excellent back, but much of his success can be attributed to the Steelers system. Let's see how many games he can win with his legs next season. My instincts say he is worth 2 victories on a crappy team which is not worth $19m.
    Agreed - running backs simply do not make the difference QBs and receivers do based on the data

There is a definite bump with Bell on the field, but it’s not what makes this offense truly elite as evidenced by the much higher Wins Above Replacement numbers for both Roethlisberger and Brown (Brown is about 9.0 WAR above Bell since 2013, while Roethlisberger is about 18.0).

https://www.profootballfocus.com/new...lls-true-value

The Steelers are about to run an on the field lab experiment to verify whether that is correct in 2018 as well

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Nice thought, but can't do it. There is a two week gap in the calendar between the last day for trades and the last day to sign the franchise tag. So, Bell signs, there's nothing that can be done but let him sit on the bench.
    completely forgot about trade deadline

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Agreed - running backs simply do not make the difference QBs and receivers do based on the data

There is a definite bump with Bell on the field, but it’s not what makes this offense truly elite as evidenced by the much higher Wins Above Replacement numbers for both Roethlisberger and Brown (Brown is about 9.0 WAR above Bell since 2013, while Roethlisberger is about 18.0).

https://www.profootballfocus.com/new...lls-true-value

The Steelers are about to run an on the field lab experiment to verify whether that is correct in 2018 as well
    Thank you for posting this

Second half of the season in 2015 was our peak on offense and it was with DeAngelo Williams as RB.

The Steelers only need a above average RB to have success on offense

One other thing - I do not know if we would be able to prevent him from signing the tag if he decides to, unless we already pulled it preemptively.

In other words, since we've already made the offer, at any moment he could sign it and turn it in to the league and there's nothing we can do about it, he's under contract from that instant and it's fully guaranteed. And the only way to prevent that would be if we withdrew it ahead of time (the nuclear option).

I ask this because I swear I've heard of contracts being offered and sitting there, and then the player just signs it and his agent faxes it to the league office. (Including one famous case where the Browns, or maybe the Broncos, had a contract voided because it got faxed to the league 5 minutes after the deadline).

So bottom line, I don't think the player actually has to "come in" and sign the contract, and we can turn him away at the door. It may be a game of chicken where he can make the decision at any time, and we only get one guess. If anyone knows the answer for certain, that would sure help.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

With Bell out, maybe we won't be able to go as far in the playoffs as we have with him playing...

Oh wait.....