Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Colin Kaepernick

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Colin Kaepernick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

It will be interesting to see if Nike is willing to sacrifice everything.

Nike Shares Tumble
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Member Array title="SteelersCanadian is on a distinguished road">

There was an interesting point made on Pat McAfee's podcast in which they discuss whether the Nike risk management team assessed that the people who are burning Nike items aren't apart of their core demographic regardless. They had to have known that their initial stock was going to take a hit, but it's admirable that Nike is essentially playing chicken with the NFL here. They're locked into contract with the NFL for the foreseeable future so it'll be interesting to see how the NFL responds.

Regardless of how one feels about the anthem issue, can we all agree that burning sports paraphernalia at any point is insanely moronic?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelersCanadian View Post
    There was an interesting point made on Pat McAfee's podcast in which they discuss whether the Nike risk management team assessed that the people who are burning Nike items aren't apart of their core demographic regardless. They had to have known that their initial stock was going to take a hit, but it's admirable that Nike is essentially playing chicken with the NFL here. They're locked into contract with the NFL for the foreseeable future so it'll be interesting to see how the NFL responds.

Regardless of how one feels about the anthem issue, can we all agree that burning sports paraphernalia at any point is insanely moronic?
    That’s an interesting point. How many45+ white guys does Nike care about? I mean that as a legitimate question. I have no idea where their sales come from, but I suspect NIke wants them to come from a far younger slice of the demographic pie.

Personally, I think it is a dumb campaign all around — but I wouldnt burn stuff I paid good money for based on a commercial anyways. I not that fragile...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Colin Kapernick

Quote Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
    Screw Nike and CK. My honest belief is that CK sat out the anthem because his piss poor attitude towards this country, then when he was called out on it he had to scramble for a cause.
    He kneeled for the anthem because he was in danger of losing his starting job (to Blaine Gabbert) and was at risk of becoming an irrelevant has been QB. He kneeled so he could attention for himself. Funny how in 2014 when there was outrage over the Michael Brown shooting and Rams players were doing the "hands up don't shoot" thing out of the tunnel, Kaepernick was mum silent on it because he had just paid a boat load of money and the media was pegging him as one of the better young QBs and possibly the next great 49ers QB. The guy didn't even bother voting, he was just looking for attention, and it's hilarious how that attention created baggage that has turned off teams from signing him.

Member Array title="SteelersCanadian is on a distinguished road">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    That’s an interesting point. How many45+ white guys does Nike care about? I mean that as a legitimate question. I have no idea where their sales come from, but I suspect NIke wants them to come from a far younger slice of the demographic pie.

Personally, I think it is a dumb campaign all around — but I wouldnt burn stuff I paid good money for based on a commercial anyways. I not that fragile...
    I can't imagine that Nike pays much attention to the non-millennial crowd.

I can't imagine that Nike pays much attention to the non-millennial crowd.
    That would seem to fit with pretty much everything else. 18-35 is the only market sector most companies seem to care about. Interesting.

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making some other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

Quote Originally Posted by tom444 View Post
    "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making some other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
    Always nice to hear from Patton.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    A famous person who likes to use twitter presumably will not let this slide by without a comment
    After yesterday's surprisingly restrained response something more spirited this morning

After yesterday's surprisingly restrained response something more spirited this morning

Yeah, he's not bitter about not being let into the club and then having to do the USFL and running that into the ground or anything. What I would love to know is what the USFL teams did pre-game. Part of me wishes there was video of the teams not on the sidelines prior to the game...but since no one watched the USFL I doubt that footage exists!

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Trump really should just stay out of it. It is for his sake. With how the economy is doing better and African American unemployment at it's lowest, dragging himself into this causes the public to distract from that and focus on petty shit like this. Hurling insults like this and dragging down others is beneath the office

Yeah, he's not bitter about not being let into the club and then having to do the USFL and running that into the ground or anything. !
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Trump really should just stay out of it. It is for his sake. With how the economy is doing better and African American unemployment at it's lowest, dragging himself into this causes the public to distract from that and focus on petty shit like this. Hurling insults like this and dragging down others is beneath the office
    Like I said, he is just bitter because 3 plus decades ago the "cool kids" at the NFL wouldn't take him or his money. It is a repeated pattern with this individual. If anyone ever says "No" to him or damages his ego he nurses a grudge. Whatever he is doing -- good or bad -- often gets lost in his petty and vain quest to be seen as "cool". Honestly, it is sad to see a 70 something year old man approach life with the same mentality as a teenage girl.

This just keeps getting more interesting -- "Industry insiders told Yahoo Sports that Adidas and Puma were among multiple brands that had conversations about potentially building around Kaepernick if Nike failed to renew his deal following a long stretch of endorsement inactivity."

https://sports.yahoo.com/colin-kaepe...053108355.html

In another article that I won't spam everyone with here, several stock analysts attributed Nike's recent 3% downturn to rumors about NAFTA related stuff rather than anything to do with an ad campaign.

I have no idea why I am fascinated with this, but I am. I simply can not wrap my head around multiple large brands that strive to be all things to all people lining up to link themselves to controversy. Fascinating.

Senior Member Array title="JnK has much to be proud of">

Quote Originally Posted by JnK View Post
    'Believe in something. Even if it means sacrificing everything.'

Dear JnK I scewed up your post....meant to quote it and instead I edited it. Please forgive me.........

Someday I'll get the hang of this internets stuff. ~Sue
    Son-of-a-&%$#@..... lol

That's it.... I'm sending you ALL of my used Nike gear. (postage due by recipient)

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I actually kinda changed my mind. I kinda like that Nike did this. People are too fucking sensitive. I don’t like Krappernick one bit...he sucked as a football player and became a huge distraction to the league. I get the hate people have for him, but how many times do people sit here and say the country is too sensitive? Well Nike just took the opposite stance that most companies do...I can respect that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

This just keeps getting more interesting -- "Industry insiders told Yahoo Sports that Adidas and Puma were among multiple brands that had conversations about potentially building around Kaepernick if Nike failed to renew his deal following a long stretch of endorsement inactivity."

In another article that I won't spam everyone with here, several stock analysts attributed Nike's recent 3% downturn to rumors about NAFTA related stuff rather than anything to do with an ad campaign.

I have no idea why I am fascinated with this, but I am. I simply can not wrap my head around multiple large brands that strive to be all things to all people lining up to link themselves to controversy. Fascinating.
    Assuming your branding is intended to be all things to all people. Nike is selling an image rather than a commodity and their image is not "we are the shoes boring conforming old people like to wear"

As this article on what Nike is up to notes, even food can be tied to a social image, such as Chick-fil-a (which prides itself on being closed on Sunday when it could sell a lot of sandwiches)

Chick-fil-A came close to the level of brouhaha that surrounds Nike a few years ago, when its founder spoke out against gay marriage. While some groups protested and boycotted the brand, Chick-fil-A's base rallied around the company. Sales have since soared....

For Nike, supporting Kaepernick may simply be smart marketing. It helps the brand appeal to its core demographic, that is, younger customers in what it has identified as "key cities,"like New York and Los Angeles. ...

But not every brand will be given the leeway or the liberty to go as far as Nike did.

"Touching a third rail issue is dangerous business for public companies and has backfired on the likes of Pepsi and Starbucks," agreed Hill. "I do not see this being a trend because few companies can afford to anger that many consumers and survive."

https://www.businessinsider.com/bran...pernick-2018-9

This could be a fiasco like New Coke in the mid-80s was for another company famed for its marketing ability. But Nike is getting the benefit of the doubt given its history of marketing products as generic as shoes and t-shirts to make a statement for those who wear them

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vader29 View Post
    Have you ever watched the reality show with his wife. When Cutler is on it, he’s hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Assuming your branding is intended to be all things to all people. Nike is selling an image rather than a commodity and their image is not "we are the shoes boring conforming old people like to wear"

As this article on what Nike is up to notes, even food can be tied to a social image, such as Chick-fil-a (which prides itself on being closed on Sunday when it could sell a lot of sandwiches)

Chick-fil-A came close to the level of brouhaha that surrounds Nike a few years ago, when its founder spoke out against gay marriage. While some groups protested and boycotted the brand, Chick-fil-A's base rallied around the company. Sales have since soared....

For Nike, supporting Kaepernick may simply be smart marketing. It helps the brand appeal to its core demographic, that is, younger customers in what it has identified as "key cities,"like New York and Los Angeles. ...

But not every brand will be given the leeway or the liberty to go as far as Nike did.

"Touching a third rail issue is dangerous business for public companies and has backfired on the likes of Pepsi and Starbucks," agreed Hill. "I do not see this being a trend because few companies can afford to anger that many consumers and survive."

https://www.businessinsider.com/bran...pernick-2018-9

This could be a fiasco like New Coke in the mid-80s was for another company famed for its marketing ability. But Nike is getting the benefit of the doubt given its history of marketing products as generic as shoes and t-shirts to make a statement for those who wear them
    That all makes a good deal of sense. I also think the "backlash" concept is over-rated. Pepsi pissed people off with whatever with one of the Kardashian/Jenner bots or whatever. That lasted like what a week? Maybe two? I truly don't think people have an attention span long enough to sustain an animosity toward a brand or product unless that brand or product actually hurts people.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

I absolutely agree. If you're that bent out of shape about the brand then donate it, there are plenty of less fortunate people out there that could use that gear.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    He kneeled for the anthem because he was in danger of losing his starting job (to Blaine Gabbert) and was at risk of becoming an irrelevant has been QB. He kneeled so he could attention for himself. Funny how in 2014 when there was outrage over the Michael Brown shooting and Rams players were doing the "hands up don't shoot" thing out of the tunnel, Kaepernick was mum silent on it because he had just paid a boat load of money and the media was pegging him as one of the better young QBs and possibly the next great 49ers QB. The guy didn't even bother voting, he was just looking for attention, and it's hilarious how that attention created baggage that has turned off teams from signing him.
    Yes!!!
    Someone else who thinks this.

I’ve always felt that Kaepernick was a douche. He mocked Cam Newton after a game... Anyway, when Kaep got benched, he responded by kneeling. IMO, the initial kneel had NOTHING to do with ANY cause; it was merely Kaep pouting. Once people noticed, he didn’t want to seem like a selfish a$$hole; so, he locked onto BLM.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Maybe they should sign Trump to a shoe deal?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I just watched the commercial:

https://people.com/sports/colin-kaep...-lebron-james/

Holy crap!!!... that is great. I teared up.

Senior Member Array title="Carolina Steelers has a spectacular aura about"> Carolina Steelers's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

I agree regardless where u stand with Kap this is a great commercial

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

Good stuff.

I also think the "backlash" concept is over-rated. Pepsi pissed people off with whatever with one of the Kardashian/Jenner bots or whatever. That lasted like what a week? Maybe two? I truly don't think people have an attention span long enough to sustain an animosity toward a brand or product unless that brand or product actually hurts people.
    I agree but guess we will see if these survey results are an outlier or a statistical blip in a few months after Nike posts sales figures through the end of 2018 - those numbers obviously will mean more than someone simply making a claim in a survey(for example, I highly doubt 49% of the country was very likely to purchase Nike products before the Kaepernick announcement)

Nike's Favorability Drops Double Digits Following New ‘Just Do It’ Campaign with Colin Kaepernick

A new report from Morning Consult reveals consumer opinions of Nike have shifted rapidly since announcing their new campaign with former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick. Across nearly every demographic, perceptions of Nike’s brand have fallen, including among key consumer groups.

https://morningconsult.com/form/nike-kaepernick-report/

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

BOOM , the quake JUST NOW hit Nike ....

Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now