Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Landry Jones continues to heat up Steelers' QB battle

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Landry Jones continues to heat up Steelers' QB battle

Landry Jones continues to heat up Steelers' QB battle

By BRYAN DEARDO

Landry Jones isn't making Pittsburgh's decisions at backup quarterback any easier. On Sunday, Jones completed four of his five pass attempts that included a touchdown pass in one of the Steelers' two-minute drills during the team's practice from Heinz Field. By all accounts, Jones has enjoyed a very solid summer of practices while possibly having the best offseason of his six-year career. While he didn't play in last Thursday's preseason loss to the Packers, Jones completed all four of attempts for 83 yards that included a 71-yard touchdown pass to JuJu Smith-Schuster in the team's preseason opener in Philadelphia.

The 29-year-old Jones has an unknown future in Pittsburgh. While he is signed through the 2019 season, Steelers' GM Kevin Colbert has already said that the team won't keep four quarterbacks on the 53-man roster. With Ben Roethlisberger and Mason Rudolph's place on the 53-man roster secure, the third and final spot will come down to Jones or second year quarterback Josh Dobbs, who completed 12-of-18 passes for 192 yards with two touchdowns and an interception last Thursday night while playing the entire second half.

Jones, who is 3-2 as Pittsburgh's starting quarterback that includes victories in his last two starts, said that the team's confidence in his ability has given him the confidence to play and to play well whenever he enters the lineup

to read rest of article:

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...tle-120846378/

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Re: Landry Jones continues to heat up Steelers' QB battle

The Steelers will keep the cheaper contract.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    The Steelers will keep the cheaper contract.
    I think the Steelers will keep the guy who is 3-2 as Pittsburgh's starting QB...

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

I think the Steelers will keep the guy who is 3-2 as Pittsburgh's starting QB...
    And more importantly, the established and trusted backup QB.

Best,
    -Slashy
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Jones has had the #2 QB spot locked down even before camp. Was always going to take amazing showing from either Dobbs or Rudolph.

I honestly won't be shocked if Jones spends the rest of his career in Pittsburgh.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Jones has had the #2 QB spot locked down even before camp. Was always going to take amazing showing from either Dobbs or Rudolph.

I honestly won't be shocked if Jones spends the rest of his career in Pittsburgh.
    And now, the elephant in the room: Landry Jones was clipboarded Thursday. He wasn't even injured. The Steelers decided to put two young QB's up against Aaron Rodgers and the Packers' Starting D over the "established and trusted backup QB" who had the "#2 spot locked down". Two preseasons in a row where Landry was benched for a new QB.

Landry's spot was secure last season because Dobbs was a rookie and there was no one else worthwhile on the depth chart. Bart Houston was a camp body at best. This time around, the Steelers have two young QB's they drafted, and Ben is a year older.

The fact that Landry was a healthy scratch last Thursday says to me that maybe his spot isn't as secure as we thought. Rudolph and Dobbs played the entire game. At least Charlie Batch, Bruce Gradkowski and even Dennis Dixon and even Bart Houston had some time in Preseason games, when they were clearly backups.

Something tells me the Steelers have seen enough of Landry, have already seen the best of what he has to offer and are quietly pushing him out the door. With Ben pushing the high 30's and is one drama tantrum away from threatening retirement, they can't afford to keep wasting their time with a guy who is clearly wants to be and is satisfied being a backup. The next guy needs to be up and running, or else we'll be staring at another 25 years of journeymen.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    And now, the elephant in the room: Landry Jones was clipboarded Thursday. He wasn't even injured. The Steelers decided to put two young QB's up against Aaron Rodgers and the Packers' Starting D over the "established and trusted backup QB" who had the "#2 spot locked down". Two preseasons in a row where Landry was benched for a new QB.

Landry's spot was secure last season because Dobbs was a rookie and there was no one else worthwhile on the depth chart. Bart Houston was a camp body at best. This time around, the Steelers have two young QB's they drafted, and Ben is a year older.

The fact that Landry was a healthy scratch last Thursday says to me that maybe his spot isn't as secure as we thought. Rudolph and Dobbs played the entire game. At least Charlie Batch, Bruce Gradkowski and even Dennis Dixon and even Bart Houston had some time in Preseason games, when they were clearly backups.

Something tells me the Steelers have seen enough of Landry, have already seen the best of what he has to offer and are quietly pushing him out the door. With Ben pushing the high 30's and is one drama tantrum away from threatening retirement, they can't afford to keep wasting their time with a guy who is clearly wants to be and is satisfied being a backup. The next guy needs to be up and running, or else we'll be staring at another 25 years of journeymen.
    I guess you see something i don't. Just because they let the young guys plays doesn't mean much to me. To me it means they wanted to see what they have in Rudolph and Dobbs and measure that against what they know of Jones. IMHO Dobbs didn't impress me all that much. His 1st pass was a pick - 6 and both his TD passes were highly contested. If anything he showed us more of what we have in Washington than what we have in Dobbs. Don't get me wrong here not all that impressed with Jones either but I believe it will take Dobbs doing something to stand out to replace him. Just my 2 cents take it for what it's worth.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Edman,
    The fact that Landry was a healthy scratch last Thursday says to me that maybe his spot isn't as secure as we thought. Rudolph and Dobbs played the entire game.
    They didn't play Ben either. Does that mean his spot is in jeopardy as well? I wouldn't try to read too much into who played and who didn't. All playing meant was they were being evaluated. All sitting meant was that they didn't require any further evaluation.

Best,
    -Slashy
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

It would be nice to get a decent draft pick for whichever QB they decide to trade. Pure PR piece to see if there are any takers around the league for Jones?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

They are getting Dobbs on tape so they can trade him. Jones was holding a clipboard because they know what he can’t do and he’s probably got the job locked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    I guess you see something i don't. Just because they let the young guys plays doesn't mean much to me. To me it means they wanted to see what they have in Rudolph and Dobbs and measure that against what they know of Jones. IMHO Dobbs didn't impress me all that much. His 1st pass was a pick - 6 and both his TD passes were highly contested. If anything he showed us more of what we have in Washington than what we have in Dobbs. Don't get me wrong here not all that impressed with Jones either but I believe it will take Dobbs doing something to stand out to replace him. Just my 2 cents take it for what it's worth.
    My thoughts exactly.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Cyphon25 is a name known to all">

Unless there is a trade offer (and even then it isn't a guarantee) Jones is a lock on this roster. There was never even really a question of that even when Rudolph was drafted. It was just a conversation of if Rudolph would play well enough to take the 2 spot and he hasn't to this point. On a team with SB hopes you don't get rid of a backup with playing time and replace him with 2 projects. They would have to be offered like a 6th or maybe even 5th to give up Jones. Not sure they would do it for a 7th.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Dobbs is gone.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

It's going to boil down to who can put the MOST points on the board with our WRs and RBs. Who can lead the offense to score 60+ points on the board......because we all know that our pathetic defense and secondary can give up 50+ points.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    It's going to boil down to who can put the MOST points on the board with our WRs and RBs. Who can lead the offense to score 60+ points on the board......because we all know that our pathetic defense and secondary can give up 50+ points.
    That defense, at the rate it’s looking, is going to be giving up 75+ points...this defense is looking like a throwback to the 80s...only worse...

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

He seemed to move the offense decently on the limited time that he had this last game. Hunter showed sketchy hands giving up the INT. I think he has a pretty good lock on a roster spot.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I'm happy that Jones will be #2 again this year. He's the best man on the roster for the job. It's no even close. He's not the heir apparent, but the backup. The only backups that are loved are the ones that fans think are the heir apparent. Fans are always looking to get rid of those guys who just backup. The NFL guys are smart enough to know they need one, even if fans aren't.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I'm happy that Jones will be #2 again this year. He's the best man on the roster for the job. It's no even close. He's not the heir apparent, but the backup. The only backups that are loved are the ones that fans think are the heir apparent. Fans are always looking to get rid of those guys who just backup. The NFL guys are smart enough to know they need one, even if fans aren't.
    Good points.

I guess it is a good problem to have 4 reasonable options for 4 spots.

Depth across the roster seems improved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

If Ben misses extended time, they are screwed regardless of who is the backup so might as well go with young guys who have shown flashes and have potential to improve over the 6th year guy who has shown little entering his 6th year outside of beating the Browns at home (something that a monkey throwing feces could do)

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I read something from someone yesterday ( wish I had bookmarked it ) with the logic of Dobbs getting an extended look in the final game MIGHT be the Steelers wanting to see if he can lead the team to victory and seal his fate as the backup if he shows well ....

I am not sure I buy it , but it could be possible I suppose ..

I would hope they rule nothing out I mean if he starts and goes 22-31 -275yards an a couple scores would give him a qb rating for the preseason of over 120 ... would be mighty hard to ignore it I would think ...
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    If Ben misses extended time, they are screwed regardless of who is the backup so might as well go with young guys who have shown flashes and have potential to improve over the 6th year guy who has shown little entering his 6th year outside of beating the Browns at home (something that a monkey throwing feces could do)
    How extended? 6 games and I think we have a shot, even if they go 2-4. 9-7 might win the AFCN.

- - - Updated - - -

I read something from someone yesterday ( wish I had bookmarked it ) with the logic of Dobbs getting an extended look in the final game MIGHT be the Steelers wanting to see if he can lead the team to victory and seal his fate as the backup if he shows well ....

I am not sure I buy it , but it could be possible I suppose ..

I would hope they rule nothing out I mean if he starts and goes 22-31 -275yards an a couple scores would give him a qb rating for the preseason of over 120 ... would be mighty hard to ignore it I would think ...
    Likely playing him most of the game in hopes that he gets hurt and they can stash him on IR...

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Landry look like crap both games he was in so far. Dobbs far outplayed him this preseason and also the bad snap was on Landry and bounced of both his hands. Landry is like DHB great people and the Steelers keep them around over younger more talented because of that alone! Steelers need to wake up and cut ties with both holding this team back.

Landry sucks.... to the tune of 3-2

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Yeah, should have been 5-0. He's holding the team back, like most backup QB's in the NFL do.

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    But you can’t. You have to prepare for both short and extended period. So if it’s short, you play Landry. If it’s long, you play Rudolph. No need for Dobbs.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    But you can’t. You have to prepare for both short and extended period. So if it’s short, you play Landry. If it’s long, you play Rudolph. No need for Dobbs.
    Maybe play Landry if you need to beat the Browns at home, other than that why not give a young guy experience. Won't be much worse than what Landry has shown

- - - Updated - - -

Beat the worst team in NFL history over a two year stretch at home, and threw a couple of short passes that the receivers turned into long games to close out a couple games in relief, yeah this man has shown a lot

Do Ben’s wins against the Browns count? Is it just Jones’ that don’t? Lol.

We're still arguing about this?? Sheesh... we'll find out in 4 days.

*EDIT* Also, I wouldn't look past the Browns this year. I realize I'm probably alone on this one, but they make me nervous.
    Best,
    -Slashy

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

I get why people want Jones gone, he's a backup and we have had the pleasure of seeing what Ben does so it's a major step down. That being said I have not seen what some here have. What has Dobbs done to take the job away from Jones? This was discussed on another thread about Dobbs but I will state it again. Dobbs 1st pass last week was a pick 6 and both TDs where damn near int's. They were more of a great effort by the WRs than anything Dobbs did. Dobbs is young and may end up being a better QB than Jones but I just don't see it right now.

Maybe if we convert him to WR we can keep him an extra year, but I doubt that will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    Dobbs is young and may end up being a better QB than Jones but I just don't see it right now.
    Likewise, Rudolph is young and may end up being a better QB than Dobbs but I just don't see it right now. All of the arguments that support Dobbs over Jones are the same arguments that support Rudolph over Dobbs. So where does that leave Dobbs? On the outside looking in, I suspect. There is a spot on the roster for a backup and there's a spot on the roster for a development QB. There isn't a spot for a QB who is not clearly one or the other.
    It's all perception and not fair, and IMO Dobbs has played well in the preseason... but I think he's still the odd man out and won't get a jersey.

Could be wrong tho'
    -Slashy