Thread: James Washington ready for combat when making catch for Steelers

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

James Washington ready for combat when making catch for Steelers

Mike Tomlin calls them combat catches, which was an appropriate term to describe the two touchdown receptions for Pittsburgh Steelers rookie James Washington on Thursday night.

The way the Steelers second-round draft pick twice wrestled the ball away from his defender in a 51-34 loss to the Green Bay Packers made it look like he was competing in the UFC and not the NFL.

In the third quarter, Washington went high in the air and reached over cornerback Demetri Goodson, taking the ball away for a 19-yard touchdown. In the fourth, on a 22-yard touchdown, he victimized Herb Waters, ripping the ball from the cornerback’s grip as both players fell to the ground.............

read more @ https://triblive.com/sports/steelers...h-for-steelers

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: James Washington ready for combat when making catch for Steelers

This kid certainly does look like the real deal.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

With a couple preseason games under their belts, the trio of JuJu, Washington and Patterson are starting to look like the real deal...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

I would love to see a lot of 4 WR sets this year.

It looks like we may NEED to score 30 points a game to be competitive.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Those are basketball moves or exactly the opposite of Mike Wallace.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    With a couple preseason games under their belts, the trio of JuJu, Washington and Patterson are starting to look like the real deal...
    Hopefully AB can crack the lineup...

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I was thinking the same thing, regarding that omission.

- - - Updated - - -

But I’m pretty sure I understand what he means. Just worded funny.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    I would love to see a lot of 4 WR sets this year.

It looks like we may NEED to score 30 points a game to be competitive.
    If we can ever get McDonald on the field, we might not need 4 receiver sets to score 30 points.

Say what you want about Bell, but one great thing he brings is his 3 down ability. We should start running no huddle MOST of the time, with no substitutions on a drive. We would force defenses to stay in whatever formation we want for the rest of the drive.

I’m surprised we didn’t do that more often. Unless someone gets winded or hurt on our side, as soon as the defense puts in the personnel we want to see, we run no huddle the rest of the drive.

It doesn’t even have to be hurry up. Just no huddle will keep the defense from substitutions. We should DEFINITELY utilize this technique at the start of the second half to our advantage. Make the opponent burn early time outs.

There is SO much we can do out of our 11 personnel (if McDonald can block as well as catch) with a do it all back like Bell. We can always send him out wide and not let the D substitute.

(I’m sure most of you know this already, but 11 personnel just means 1 RB and 1 TE. the first digit is amount of RBs and second digit is number of TEs. A formation with no RBs and no TEs is called Zero personnel. Sorry if EVERYONE already knows these terms, but I only learned them like 2 years ago, but maybe I was the last one.)

I think a lot of you criticized Haley for not utilizing the no huddle more often.

The whole POINT of having ONE RB who can do it all (like Bell) is that you don’t have to substitute on a drive (once you catch the defense in a favorable formation, or just keep them in their base defense for the whole drive).

Okay, now I’ll show my ignorance by asking a stupid question: can the defense make substitutions after every first down, while the refs move the chains? Or can the offense still get to the line fast enough to prevent any substitutions?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

ABis already on that level...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Those are basketball moves or exactly the opposite of Mike Wallace.
    But Mike was not paid to jump.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

I like I what see in Washington so far and, that TD catch last week a one nice play!