Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Dan

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Re: Big Dan

If it's not in the gut, it won't last and I don't think Dan has it in his gut. But I hope I'm wrong.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Ugh?

Can you really expect him to stay off Captain Crunch once he got his long-term deal?

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    If it's not in the gut, it won't last and I don't think Dan has it in his gut. But I hope I'm wrong.
    Is that really true? I mean it very well might be.

But like others, I’m really hoping he is just slow to mature into REALLY understanding what he needs to tap into.

In the one article, it said that Dan occasionally punched a wall when his anger at being bullied surfaced. Then he ended any bullying one day in the school bathroom (are bullies really stupid enough to poke a sleeping giant like him?). If he can just figure out a way to think of the opposition’s OLinemen as his childhood bullies... maybe he can access that anger on every play.

This might sound silly, but I think hypnosis might work on a guy like this; to find that anger when it’s appropriate. I know football teams have used hypnosis in the past. Dan is the perfect candidate for it since his job is relatively easy to learn. The mental part in his case is partially technique for sure, but with his body all he really needs to dominate is by lightning that fire.

He needs a guy like Kevin Green to be his life coach. If you saw his episode of NFL Life (or whatever it’s called) you’d understand. Green isn’t as crazy as he seemed. He learned the ability to access his will to dominate through discipline. He comes from a military family and GREATLY believes in teaching it. I believe he could teach a guy like Big Dan. Is Kevin Green still working for the Panthers or some other team? That’s a guy I’d rather have coaching than Joey Porter. Nothing against Porter. He HAD that fire as a player, but it was just his personality. I don’t know if he’s good at TEACHING it. Although he does seem to be trying with Big Dan, even though he coaches a different position.

If Porter CAN find a way to teach Big Dan to find that fire, he will have earned his paycheck and more; regardless of what he does with the linebackers.

You know who else we have that might be able to help Dan? T.J. Watt. Like his brother, he’s a sweet wholesome kid. His personality isn’t mean or anything. The Watt brothers LEARNED to access that fire by sheer willpower and discipline. T.J. learned it. Maybe he can teach it.

Senior Member Array title="Cyphon25 is a name known to all">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Rewatch the first quarter of Week 1 against the Browns last year. Before Tuitt got hurt. That’s his ceiling. And it’s an unholy terror. Single handed blew up multiple running and passing plays.

There are things I worry about with this roster. Tuitt rampaging through offensive lineman like they are tinker toys is not one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't worry about Tuitt being a good player for our defense, I worry about him reaching my perceived ceiling of him is all. I had VERY high expectations and he has flashed to those levels (you gave the perfect example) but we just haven't seen him carry that for more than minimum amounts of time. Mostly because injuries continue to bite him.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post

But like others, I’m really hoping he is just slow to mature into REALLY understanding what he needs to tap into.

In the one article, it said that Dan occasionally punched a wall when his anger at being bullied surfaced. Then he ended any bullying one day in the school bathroom (are bullies really stupid enough to poke a sleeping giant like him?). If he can just figure out a way to think of the opposition’s OLinemen as his childhood bullies... maybe he can access that anger on every play.

This might sound silly, but I think hypnosis might work on a guy like this; to find that anger when it’s appropriate. I know football teams have used hypnosis in the past. Dan is the perfect candidate for it since his job is relatively easy to learn. The mental part in his case is partially technique for sure, but with his body all he really needs to dominate is by lightning that fire.

He needs a guy like Kevin Green to be his life coach. If you saw his episode of NFL Life (or whatever it’s called) you’d understand. Green isn’t as crazy as he seemed. He learned the ability to access his will to dominate through discipline. He comes from a military family and GREATLY believes in teaching it. I believe he could teach a guy like Big Dan. Is Kevin Green still working for the Panthers or some other team? That’s a guy I’d rather have coaching than Joey Porter. Nothing against Porter. He HAD that fire as a player, but it was just his personality. I don’t know if he’s good at TEACHING it. Although he does seem to be trying with Big Dan, even though he coaches a different position.

If Porter CAN find a way to teach Big Dan to find that fire, he will have earned his paycheck and more; regardless of what he does with the linebackers.

You know who else we have that might be able to help Dan? T.J. Watt. Like his brother, he’s a sweet wholesome kid. His personality isn’t mean or anything. The Watt brothers LEARNED to access that fire by sheer willpower and discipline. T.J. learned it. Maybe he can teach it.
    After 4 years of nothing I'd say it probably is imo. He's playing for a multiple-year deal accord to this.

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-...ging-his-story

If he gets it, I would expect the same results as the first four years. But I'd like to be proven wrong.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post

Greene is an assistant w/the J-E-T-S

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I watched the game quickly and while I saw McCullers bull rushing the O lineman at times, I really didnt see him as impactful in the play of the game that much. Personally, I saw more gap control, hand use and awareness of where the football was from Hooks, than I did from McCullers. Although that was likely against the #2's.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Greene is an assistant w/the J-E-T-S
    We need to find a spot for Greene on the Steelers. The Jets are a waste of his ability to inspire.

Speaking of inspire, is Aaron Smith on the Steelers payroll in some capacity? I know he’s been by practice this year. Talk about a nice guy who could turn on the fire at will... he was probably the best 3-4 DE ever. I wouldn’t mind him teaching Big Dan a thing or two about... ANYTHING AT ALL!