Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Steelers are tired of being the NFL’s most successful failure

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

The Steelers are tired of being the NFL’s most successful failure

The Steelers are tired of being the NFL’s most successful failure

Mike Tomlin and the Steelers had a bad habit of getting ahead of their own Super Bowl aspirations last year. Is it going to be different in Pittsburgh this year?

By Thomas George Aug 9, 2018

LATROBE, Pennsylvania — It is fitting that the Pittsburgh Steelers begin pursuit of a seventh Super Bowl title on Thursday night in a preseason fracas at the Philadelphia Eagles. The Eagles wear the latest Super Bowl rings. The Steelers expect to flash the classic rings each year. Without them, Pittsburgh, by its own towering definition, has slogged through nine straight seasons of failure.

Forget the 13-3 regular season from a year ago.

Don’t dwell on the four straight playoff appearances and 124 total career victories by head coach Mike Tomlin as he enters his 12th Steelers season. Even the Tomlin 2009 Super Bowl victory in his second season as Steelers coach seemed an afterthought here at training camp last week.

“It’s really not that complex,” Tomlin said before practice at Saint Vincent College under the searing sun. “It’s win the world championship. It’s a lot we not only accept but embrace. Anything else is failure.”

to read rest of article:

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/8/...er-leveon-bell

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: The Steelers are tired of being the NFL’s most successful failure

Stop talking about it and just do it already, sheesh.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Great Post in the comments.

They god rid of Martavis Bryant = Less drama
    Ben has no retirement thoughts = Less drama in that regard
    They got rid of Mike Mitchell = Less drama
    They got rid of OC Todd Haley = Less drama on the sideline and with Ben
    Bell acknowledged that he started to slow last year and promised a better year = probably less drama there, too.
    They also tried to make moves fixing their most important issues last year on defense: Tackling and communication.

I feel like the Steelers are a little bit more prepared than last year. At least they seemed to figure out some stuff and are not totally blind.

I agree with this alot, except they still have Bell being a moron. So it's not completely out of the system.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Tomlin's Steelers seem to be more about bragging and/or showboating. It's why you never know if the Steelers will win a game. Will the discipline and focus be there this year?
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Tomlin's Steelers seem to be more about bragging and/or showboating. It's why you never know if the Steelers will win a game. Will the discipline and focus be there this year?
    Tomlin does run what seems to be a loose ship, I would say maybe that's necessary with today's athletes but Belicheat is successful with a no nonsense approach so I don't know...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Last I counted, still in the lead. So "failure" on that!

Senior Member Array title="Neversatisfied has a spectacular aura about">

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Discipline has been in short supply for Tomlin run Steeler teams of late and its irritating. The players run their mouths and Tomlin has the same lame excuses and one-liners after losses, for the amount of talent on the team their playoff record is inexcusable and it points straight to Coaching/Discipline.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    In the lead of what? Failing to live up to the hype? If the Steelers aren't focused again this year they will be watching the SB again.
    Hater = Realist

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    The only thing the Steelers are in the lead in are disappointing in the postseason. They're the NFL's version of the Pre-2018 Washington Capitals. This isn't 2010 and coming off of two Super Bowl Titles in six years. It's 2018 and this team has fallen short of the goal. Many times.

The last time we saw the team on a field seven months ago they got their face kicked in by the Jaguars the second time at Heinz Field. Mike Tomlin made household names out of Doug Marrone and the almighty Blake Bortles.

It's one thing to be proud, but its time to lay off the arrogance and face reality. This squad has nothing to show for their talent.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

They'll continue to be a postseason failure unless the defense improves. Reason why I don't have them going far in the playoffs if they make it.

This team is very similar to the Dan Bylsma coached Penguins teams.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Panthers went to the playoffs four times between 2013-2017 and The lost once in the wildcard round, twice in divisional rounds, and once in the SB (after being up with a big lead).
    Kansas City went to the playoffs four times in the last five years as well. They lost two divisional games and two wild card games (only winning once in those seasons).
    Colts went to the playoffs five times between 2009 and 2014. They lost a SB, two wildcard games, a divisional game, and a conference championship.
    Falcons went to the playoffs six times in the last ten years. They lost two wildcard games, two divisional games, a championship game, and a SB.
    Steelers went to the playoffs four times in the last six years and six times in the last eight years. They lost in the SB once, the two wildcard games, and two divisional games.

Sounds to me as though they are far from a failure. Calling this team a failure in any stretch of the imagination is a joke. Yes, I get the stupid all-or-nothing black-and-white you fail if you don't win the SB. However, the reality of the situation is that only 14 teams have won the SB since 1975. Think about that for a second. in the last 43 years, not even half the teams have won a SB. Moreover, only nine teams have won a SB since 2004. And, the Steelers are in first place in the first list and tied for second in the second list. Failure? Not even close. "Most successful team to fail to make a SB since 2011?" Sure. Failure? What a joke.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post

Panthers went to the playoffs four times between 2013-2017 and The lost once in the wildcard round, twice in divisional rounds, and once in the SB (after being up with a big lead).
    Kansas City went to the playoffs four times in the last five years as well. They lost two divisional games and two wild card games (only winning once in those seasons).
    Colts went to the playoffs five times between 2009 and 2014. They lost a SB, two wildcard games, a divisional game, and a conference championship.
    Falcons went to the playoffs six times in the last ten years. They lost two wildcard games, two divisional games, a championship game, and a SB.
    Steelers went to the playoffs four times in the last six years and six times in the last eight years. They lost in the SB once, the two wildcard games, and two divisional games.

Sounds to me as though they are far from a failure. Calling this team a failure in any stretch of the imagination is a joke. Yes, I get the stupid all-or-nothing black-and-white you fail if you don't win the SB. However, the reality of the situation is that only 14 teams have won the SB since 1975. Think about that for a second. in the last 43 years, not even half the teams have won a SB. Moreover, only nine teams have won a SB since 2004. And, the Steelers are in first place in the first list and tied for second in the second list. Failure? Not even close. "Most successful team to fail to make a SB since 2011?" Sure. Failure? What a joke.
    I suppose it depends on your description of failure. I am sure Browns fans would be Happy to win 1/2 their games. Some are happy if their team has a winning record, others are just happy to make the playoffs. To me I am disappointed when I feel we have the more talented team but don't play up to our level and don't advance in the playoffs. I feel that Ben is the Best QB in the league and feel that every year we don't advance is another opportunity missed. To me that is a failure.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

"Failure" may be too extreme.
    But, on the other hand, when you are loaded at the skill positions with one of the best QB's, one of the best RB's and THE best WR in the game and you continue to fold in the playoffs, you are certainly not successful.

#chronic underachievement=failure

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

2010: lost to SuperBowl champions
    2011: Tebowed
    2012: a missed Chiefs FG from playoffs
    2013: an AB misstep from playoffs
    2014: lost to SuperBowl champions
    2015: lost to SuperBowl champions
    2016: lost to SuperBowl champions
    2017: lost to Jaguars

2012 & 2013 we’re rebuilding years. Even then, they were one play away from making the playoffs in each of those seasons.

The Tebow game was missing 3 starters on defense (Hampton, Keisel, Clark). More importantly, Tebow’s completetions were “miracle” throws. Case in point: Gay was smothering the receiver, but the ball came in at the ONLY angle that the receiver could get it. Give any QB 100 attempts, they miss that throw 99 times... and, Tebow would NEVER make that throw again (given 1 million attempts).

The Jaguars loss hurts, because it was the first time that all three Killer B’s played in a playoff game together. They lived up to the hype (finally), putting up 40 on a verrry good Jaguars defense. Alas, the Steelers defense was a shit show.

SUMMATION:
    2011 sucked, but I truly believe “divine intervention” occurred. 2017 was a disappointment. That’s about it.

Those teams have nowhere near the level of all-around talent the Steelers have boasted for the past six years. One of best, most consistent backs in the league, the best WR in the league, a great Offensive Line, and solid defense (that unfortunately underachieves). The Chiefs, Falcons, and Panthers are headed by 1-2 impact players at best.

The most the Steelers have to show for their top talent is one AFC Title game appearance where they got their face planted by New England (again), and despite having most of their impact players, they couldn't beat a nobody Jaguars team at home. Locked in a shootout with the Juggernaut Jaguars Offense. Of all 67 Offensive plays Jacksonville ran, Only ONE went for negative yardage. Outworked. Outphysicaled. Outcoached.

Yes, that is successful failure. Sorry if people are getting tired of it.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    2010: lost to SuperBowl champions
    2011: Tebowed
    2012: a missed Chiefs FG from playoffs
    2013: an AB misstep from playoffs
    2014: lost to SuperBowl champions
    2015: lost to SuperBowl champions
    2016: lost to SuperBowl champions
    2017: lost to Jaguars

2012 & 2013 we’re rebuilding years. Even then, they were one play away from making the playoffs in each of those seasons.

The Tebow game was missing 3 starters on defense (Hampton, Keisel, Clark). More importantly, Tebow’s completetions were “miracle” throws. Case in point: Gay was smothering the receiver, but the ball came in at the ONLY angle that the receiver could get it. Give any QB 100 attempts, they miss that throw 99 times... and, Tebow would NEVER make that throw again (given 1 million attempts).

The Jaguars loss hurts, because it was the first time that all three Killer B’s played in a playoff game together. They lived up to the hype (finally), putting up 40 on a verrry good Jaguars defense. Alas, the Steelers defense was a shit show.

SUMMATION:
    2011 sucked, but I truly believe “divine intervention” occurred. 2017 was a disappointment. That’s about it.
    Losing to the SuperBowl Champs to me means we should have been the Champs.
    Tebowed the game should have never been that close that one play beats you
    Missed FG and I would add a bad call by the officials at the end of regulation. Still our team was in that position because of other losses earlier in the year. It should never have come to that.
    AB misstep - Again should have won games earlier in the year so that the misstep doesn't set us up for missing the playoffs

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I love how everyone over estimates the Steelers and under estimates the other teams.

Ben has never been the best QB in the league. Jags are very far from nobodies. They have the best defense in the league and the blueprint for how to build a defense to stop modern offense.

Steelers haven’t had a championship caliber defense since 2009 yet they are in the playoffs and often go on long runs.

Failure. Sure. Yeah. Whatever.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

For what it's worth, I either read or heard somewhere that James Harrison said that the comparison between Tomlin and Belicheat was like night and day. He commented that Belicheat 'coached', didn't put up with any shit, and every player knew who was 'boss'. Could be some of the reason why the outcome of seasons have been the way they are.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    For what it's worth, I either read or heard somewhere that James Harrison said that the comparison between Tomlin and Belicheat was like night and day. He commented that Belicheat 'coached', didn't put up with any shit, and every player knew who was 'boss'. Could be some of the reason why the outcome of seasons have been the way they are.
    We are talking about the same guy who benched a high level DB for no known reason, then watched a backup QB carve up his secondary all game in the SB? That guy? Let’s talk about his genius some more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

For teams like the Steelers you feel they should be rebuilding, heading to a SB, in a SB, or coming off a SB. There shouldn't be a long period where they aren't in one of those positions. It's not good enough to just be one of the perennial playoff teams.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by tom444 View Post
    For teams like the Steelers you feel they should be rebuilding, heading to a SB, in a SB, or coming off a SB. There shouldn't be a long period where they aren't in one of those positions. It's not good enough to just be one of the perennial playoff teams.
    Yep, much rather be a “perennial” basement dweller.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    hey be careful with that sarcasm some of it dripped on my new kicks
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

????

This literally makes no sense. If you're heading to a SB, then you're in a SB. If you're in a SB, then your coming off a SB. So, you feel the Steelers should be in the SB every year, or every other year? Otherwise, "Heading the to SB" has to take on a different meaning, which would be . . . playing in the playoffs. By that account, the Steelers are perennially heading to the SB, they just don't make it.

Or, perhaps, you're saying the Steelers should perennially be in the AFCCG or, at the very least, be one game away from it. Of course, that's been true every year they've been in the playoffs since they lost to the Ravens, meaning the last three years, they've been either one or two games away from the SB.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post

????

This literally makes no sense. If you're heading to a SB, then you're in a SB. If you're in a SB, then your coming off a SB. So, you feel the Steelers should be in the SB every year, or every other year? Otherwise, "Heading the to SB" has to take on a different meaning, which would be . . . playing in the playoffs. By that account, the Steelers are perennially heading to the SB, they just don't make it.

Or, perhaps, you're saying the Steelers should perennially be in the AFCCG or, at the very least, be one game away from it. Of course, that's been true every year they've been in the playoffs since they lost to the Ravens, meaning the last three years, they've been either one or two games away from the SB.
    By "heading" I meant the team is built up enough to be ready for a run. By "coming off" I mean they may need a season or so to get back up for various reasons. There are stages.

You either get what I mean, or you don't I guess.

By "heading" I meant the team is built up enough to be ready for a run. By "coming off" I mean they may need a season or so to get back up for various reasons. There are stages.

You either get what I mean, or you don't I guess.
    In that case, they've been heading there since 2014 when the team had five probowlers and four AP All-pros, but suffered an injury to the star RB in the last game of the season. Of course, in 2015, they were ready for a run again, and then lost both Bell and Brown. In 2016, they were ready for a run and made it to the AFCCG before losing Bell. Then, last year, they were ready for a run before losing their star defensive player. Seems to me "built up enough" is a euphemism for "a great defense" since that's the thing we're missing right now. The only problem is, you don't need one to win the SB. Not anymore with the rule changes. What you need is a great offense. We have that. We just need all the pieces on the field at the same time and then for the defense we do have to remain healthy through the year.

In that case, they've been heading there since 2014 when the team had five probowlers and four AP All-pros, but suffered an injury to the star RB in the last game of the season. Of course, in 2015, they were ready for a run again, and then lost both Bell and Brown. In 2016, they were ready for a run and made it to the AFCCG before losing Bell. Then, last year, they were ready for a run before losing their star defensive player. Seems to me "built up enough" is a euphemism for "a great defense" since that's the thing we're missing right now. The only problem is, you don't need one to win the SB. Not anymore with the rule changes. What you need is a great offense. We have that. We just need all the pieces on the field at the same time and then for the defense we do have to remain healthy through the year.
    For me that doesn't get it. For example, last years SB teams got there with star players down. The Eagles lost their starting QB. The Patriots lost Dont'a Hightower and Julian Edelman.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I love how everyone over estimates the Steelers and under estimates the other teams.

Ben has never been the best QB in the league. Jags are very far from nobodies. They have the best defense in the league and the blueprint for how to build a defense to stop modern offense.

Steelers haven’t had a championship caliber defense since 2009 yet they are in the playoffs and often go on long runs.

Failure. Sure. Yeah. Whatever.
    Yes Damn the fans who expect the best from the Steelers in big games. Teebow = Failure and how bout those pesky ravens a few years back= Failure, and the Jags are not who you make them out to be. Their Defense gave up 42 points to us and Ben threw for 469 yards, 5 TDs and 1 int in the playoffs. So much for that great Defense. Not exactly shutting us down. They beat us with their run game not their D. Failure

As I stated before and will again...I feel Ben is the Best QB in the league and has been for some time. He may not have the stats, but I really don't care for stats. He does make this team Much better than if we didn't have him. I thank God we were lucky enough to get him and if you don't agree then that's your issue.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

For me that doesn't get it. For example, last years SB teams got there with star players down. The Eagles lost their starting QB. The Patriots lost Dont'a Hightower and Julian Edelman.

That happens nearly every year with one team. What doesn't happen is that the Eagles don't do that every year. Sometimes everything just comes together for a team...…..everything. That was their first Super Bowl championship ever. You make it sound like they've figured on the secret to eternal life or something. Let's see them do this and contend every year for 5 or 6 years.....and even if they do and don't win at least 2 or 3 Super Bowls in that time....they'll be failures too according to your logic. At least, that's what it sounds like.

I just don't like the way so many are throwing around the word "failure". It's ridiculous, and only shows that many fans don't have any perspective and are spoiled brats.
    Last edited by pczach; 08-13-2018 at 08:41 PM.