Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Quick observations from preseason game vs. Eagles

  1. #1
    Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,940

    Quick observations from preseason game vs. Eagles

    Just some random observations after watching the preseason game.

    -Matakevich got cutback on by the RB and QB Sudfield badly....doesn't look at all like a starter who can play in space.
    -Bostic looked quicker and better at taking on blockers than Red. I don't see how he isn't the starter, but still need better than him on roster
    - the Kentucky LB Farrington Hugenin looked quick, explosive and lanky. Got into coverage well and looked to bend well in the pass rush.
    -Jaylen Samuels showed very little as a ball carrier. They even finished the game with 2 consecutive I formation leads for him and he failed to gain yards
    -James Washington made a nice special teams tackle and looked to be searching for more. Add his catches on a dig route and jump ball and he looks like a good pick.
    -Edmunds seemed to be in "no mans land" a few times, so needs to get better in locating receivers in space.
    -Matthew Thomas looked lost or confused several times at ILB, he "stepped in the bucket" and paused a lot in plays and was late arriving, but he looks fast when he finally figures out where he is going.
    -Jake Rodgers showed good base, footwork and some nasty finishing. I think he is the next guy up after Feiler in the rotation.
    -Chukks looked comfortable at OT. Good feet and I expected some hesitation and awkwardness from a guy reported as so raw, but IMO, he looked good in pass protection
    -Toussaint looked as if he leaned down and his quickness and acceleration out of the jump cut was impressive. I think its going to be between he and Samuels for the last RB spot, unless they keep Samuels as a TE
    -Ola Adenyi shows good hustle and hand use to shed in pass rush, but he also got stopped at the LOS several times and just stopped moving his feet. If he is more consistent he has a chance to make it. The one sack was a combo of good hands by him, but poor OT play and a QB that didn't step up in the pocket.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    in a cave
    Gender
    Posts
    2,897

    Re: Quick observations from preseason game vs. Eagles

    Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Just some random observations after watching the preseason game.

    -Matakevich got cutback on by the RB and QB Sudfield badly....doesn't look at all like a starter who can play in space.
    -Bostic looked quicker and better at taking on blockers than Red. I don't see how he isn't the starter, but still need better than him on roster
    - the Kentucky LB Farrington Hugenin looked quick, explosive and lanky. Got into coverage well and looked to bend well in the pass rush.
    -Jaylen Samuels showed very little as a ball carrier. They even finished the game with 2 consecutive I formation leads for him and he failed to gain yards
    -James Washington made a nice special teams tackle and looked to be searching for more. Add his catches on a dig route and jump ball and he looks like a good pick.
    -Edmunds seemed to be in "no mans land" a few times, so needs to get better in locating receivers in space.
    -Matthew Thomas looked lost or confused several times at ILB, he "stepped in the bucket" and paused a lot in plays and was late arriving, but he looks fast when he finally figures out where he is going.
    -Jake Rodgers showed good base, footwork and some nasty finishing. I think he is the next guy up after Feiler in the rotation.
    -Chukks looked comfortable at OT. Good feet and I expected some hesitation and awkwardness from a guy reported as so raw, but IMO, he looked good in pass protection
    -Toussaint looked as if he leaned down and his quickness and acceleration out of the jump cut was impressive. I think its going to be between he and Samuels for the last RB spot, unless they keep Samuels as a TE
    -Ola Adenyi shows good hustle and hand use to shed in pass rush, but he also got stopped at the LOS several times and just stopped moving his feet. If he is more consistent he has a chance to make it. The one sack was a combo of good hands by him, but poor OT play and a QB that didn't step up in the pocket.
    very good observations , not much to disagree with here and I wish that wasnt the case ...

    I was disappointed in the production of Sameuls , that said it was preseason game 1 hopefully he improves ....

    Dirty Red .... if he starts were screwed , love his work ethic and his "try" but at this point effort isnt enough he is not the productive player needed in the middle he just lack to much in the athletic department

    I was shocked at Frenchy's movement ... honestly thought it was Samuels until I realized the jersey number on that big run
    Follow me on Twitter @Dwinsgames

  3. #3
    Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Aloha State
    Gender
    Posts
    4,977

    Re: Quick observations from preseason game vs. Eagles

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    v
    I was shocked at Frenchy's movement ... honestly thought it was Samuels until I realized the jersey number on that big run
    me too, that was by far the best I've ever seen him look.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,530

    Re: Quick observations from preseason game vs. Eagles

    Man, if the light were just to suddenly turn on for Matthew Thomas we’d be set. He’s the athlete we need at the position. Can’t someone just find that damn switch to turn on?

  5. #5
    Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,940

    Re: Quick observations from preseason game vs. Eagles

    Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Man, if the light were just to suddenly turn on for Matthew Thomas we’d be set. He’s the athlete we need at the position. Can’t someone just find that damn switch to turn on?
    I think its more than a switch. He is taking time to analyze the play and isn't seeing it that early. Likely not reading the offensive keys well. The thing that concerns me more is lack of motor.

    There was a play to the offensive left side and he ended up blitzing from the opposite side and once he got clear of his blocker, he seemed to cruise to the play. He looked like he was content that somebody else was going to make the play and he wouldn't need to hustle to get over there. If I am a UDFA with speed as my asset, I am running to the football as fast as I can until I hear the whistle.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Gender
    Posts
    3,090

    Re: Quick observations from preseason game vs. Eagles

    Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I think its more than a switch. He is taking time to analyze the play and isn't seeing it that early. Likely not reading the offensive keys well. The thing that concerns me more is lack of motor.

    There was a play to the offensive left side and he ended up blitzing from the opposite side and once he got clear of his blocker, he seemed to cruise to the play. He looked like he was content that somebody else was going to make the play and he wouldn't need to hustle to get over there. If I am a UDFA with speed as my asset, I am running to the football as fast as I can until I hear the whistle.


    I've always been amazed at watching players do exactly what you describe, particularly if they are an UDFA with lots of physical ability with the question marks they have that prevented them from being drafted in the first place.

    I just don't get it. I would do exactly as you said and hustle my ass off until the whistle.

    Of course, I never had the elite athleticism of these guys!......But I still don't get the lack of hustle if you're a guy looking to make a roster.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Posts
    7,623

    Re: Quick observations from preseason game vs. Eagles

    Every single pre draft report said Thomas was staggeringly dumb. They coded it and put it very politely.

    But Thomas is not doing the things you all are identifying because universally reports agree that he may be too dumb to chew gum unsupervised let alone attempt walk while doing so.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Array title="Cyphon25 is a name known to all">

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    548

    Re: Quick observations from preseason game vs. Eagles

    I haven't exactly been in the Matthew Thomas camp to this point but Depot just had an article up highlighting some of his positive plays and there are definitely some flashes where he shows good recognition and awareness and good movement to get to the ball carrier.

    One guy I still have never figured out is Fort. He has shown good things but Tomlin must really hate the guy or something because he can't even get snaps over guys like Dirty Red and Sean Spence. Neither Red or Bostic looked particularly great so I don't see why guys like Fort and Thomas shouldn't get more burn here to see how they do when it counts.

    Another guy I will mention after seeing some of the film on him broken down from Thursday is Matt Feiler. Had some really nice blocks in the game that gave me renewed hope for the depth of the OL. Chuks, Feiler, and Finney aren't bad guys to have as 3 depth guys.

    Samuels I haven't been on more or less since the beginning. Don't get me wrong, I kind of like him as a player, just not for the Steelers. He has "versatility" but who do you remove to make him a pass catcher or RB? Bell, AB, JuJu, or Washington? He isn't better than any of those guys at their thing so I have never really found much value in his versatility. Particularly because his blocking is a weakness. No way he should make the roster over Toussaint but I have started leaning towards the idea of them potentially keeping 4.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    in a cave
    Gender
    Posts
    2,897

    Re: Quick observations from preseason game vs. Eagles

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyphon25 View Post
    I haven't exactly been in the Matthew Thomas camp to this point but Depot just had an article up highlighting some of his positive plays and there are definitely some flashes where he shows good recognition and awareness and good movement to get to the ball carrier.

    One guy I still have never figured out is Fort. He has shown good things but Tomlin must really hate the guy or something because he can't even get snaps over guys like Dirty Red and Sean Spence. Neither Red or Bostic looked particularly great so I don't see why guys like Fort and Thomas shouldn't get more burn here to see how they do when it counts.

    Another guy I will mention after seeing some of the film on him broken down from Thursday is Matt Feiler. Had some really nice blocks in the game that gave me renewed hope for the depth of the OL. Chuks, Feiler, and Finney aren't bad guys to have as 3 depth guys.

    Samuels I haven't been on more or less since the beginning. Don't get me wrong, I kind of like him as a player, just not for the Steelers. He has "versatility" but who do you remove to make him a pass catcher or RB? Bell, AB, JuJu, or Washington? He isn't better than any of those guys at their thing so I have never really found much value in his versatility. Particularly because his blocking is a weakness. No way he should make the roster over Toussaint but I have started leaning towards the idea of them potentially keeping 4.
    well actually as a receiver a case could be made that Samuels is better than Bell .... I just do not have the energy to make the argument because even if I could prove it it doesn't make a difference they still likely would not take Bell off the field to put Samuels in because it tips your hand more to what may be going on with that play
    Follow me on Twitter @Dwinsgames

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •