Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Damoun Patterson is Steelers Digest Player of the Week

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Damoun Patterson is Steelers Digest Player of the Week

Patterson is Digest Player of the Week

Bob Labriola
    STEELERS.COM

PHILADELPHIA – In the Steelers’ 31-14 preseason-opening win over the Eagles here tonight, a bunch of guys made plays that contributed to the victory. But Damoun Patterson was someone who made more than one.

Patterson led the team in receiving with six catches for 77 yards, and included among those was an Antonio Brown-like grab in the end zone for a 29-yard touchdown that gave the Steelers a 22-14 lead at halftime. Patterson also caught two passes for 29 yards in a possession that ended with one of Chris Boswell’s three field goals on the night.

Also considered were:

to read rest of article:

https://www.steelers.com/news/patter...er-of-the-week

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Damoun Patterson is Steelers Digest Player of the Week

He made a statement tonight

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

if he continues to play like he did tonight , he will be tough to cut for sure ... kid has moxie
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I think Hunter makes the team. So is DHB out?

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I think Hunter makes the team. So is DHB out?
    we can only hope...

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    we can only hope...
    I totally get why you say that, still...

He’s the OPPOSITE of the kind of player everyone is listing on the “hate” thread.

He’s the kind of player that you’d EXPECT TO BE a diva... first round draft pick by the Raiders, who always got by on his amazing speed.

But it turns out he’s the ultimate, UNSELFISH team player; always there to help the new guys... who could potentially replace him.

He’s a veteran who plays special teams, and is REALLY GOOD AT IT.

He works his ass off; blocks; does whatever is asked of him and MORE.

He’s impossible NOT to root for...

But this might be the year that they simply CAN’T justify a roster spot for him.

I obviously want what’s best for the Steelers, and that means rooting for Hunter to finally hit his ceiling (which by all accounts, he’s actually getting closer and closer to) and to root for a kid like Patterson to be TOO GOOD for the practice squad...

If all goes according to plan, I just don’t count enough slots for DHB to get one.

AB
    Ju-Ju
    Washington
    Eli Rogers
    Hunter
    Patterson

That’s already 6...

I hope if DHB doesn’t make it, we give him a job coaching to keep him around... unless he finds a place on a different squad.

I just like that a potential diva (1st round one trick pony) turned out to be a lunch-pale, team first... well, a real Pittsburgh Steeler.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I totally get why you say that, still...

He’s the OPPOSITE of the kind of player everyone is listing on the “hate” thread.

He’s the kind of player that you’d EXPECT TO BE a diva... first round draft pick by the Raiders, who always got by on his amazing speed.

But it turns out he’s the ultimate, UNSELFISH team player; always there to help the new guys... who could potentially replace him.

He’s a veteran who plays special teams, and is REALLY GOOD AT IT.

He works his ass off; blocks; does whatever is asked of him and MORE.

He’s impossible NOT to root for...

But this might be the year that they simply CAN’T justify a roster spot for him.

I obviously want what’s best for the Steelers, and that means rooting for Hunter to finally hit his ceiling (which by all accounts, he’s actually getting closer and closer to) and to root for a kid like Patterson to be TOO GOOD for the practice squad...

If all goes according to plan, I just don’t count enough slots for DHB to get one.

AB
    Ju-Ju
    Washington
    Eli Rogers
    Hunter
    Patterson

That’s already 6...

I hope if DHB doesn’t make it, we give him a job coaching to keep him around... unless he finds a place on a different squad.

I just like that a potential diva (1st round one trick pony) turned out to be a lunch-pale, team first... well, a real Pittsburgh Steeler.
    Excellent post!!!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Definitely note bright spot in that game last night. Hope to see it continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

What is this kid's size?

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    What is this kid's size?
    Listed at 6'2" but looks more like 6'0
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

The first "preseason Hero" has arrived!! Good game, but still not expecting him to make the 53.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Listed at 6'2" but looks more like 6'0
    Watching him I thought he was 5'9" LOL.

That's nice size to go with some quickness.

He could go down in history as the guy who bumped DHB. #legend

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Watching him I thought he was 5'9" LOL.

That's nice size to go with some quickness.

He could go down in history as the guy who bumped DHB. #legend
    He looks like a Bobblehead Doll.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

There isn’t a team that drafts/finds WRs as well as the Steelers do.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

I would keep Patterson and DHB over Hunter.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

And there is no quarterback in history that has been told so many times that he has been given another great receiver by the organization......only to see those wide receivers go elsewhere and underperform or drop out of the NFL.

Tom Brady never gets elite receivers....he makes them good because of his greatness. So say the "experts".

Ben is fortunate to have an organization that drafts and develops wide receivers better than anyone in history, the "experts" say.

Ben gets almost no credit for making all those WRs better.

And people wonder why Ben acts the way he does sometimes...

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    And there is no quarterback in history that has been told so many times that he has been given another great receiver by the organization......only to see those wide receivers go elsewhere and underperform or drop out of the NFL.

Tom Brady never gets elite receivers....he makes them good because of his greatness. So say the "experts".

Ben is fortunate to have an organization that drafts and develops wide receivers better than anyone in history, the "experts" say.

only 1 WR has left to find greater success and that is Sanders , but we knew he was good he just had guys ahead of him so he never got to know great success until he left
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Vikings with UDFA Adam Thielen and 5th round pick Stefon Diggs have done rather well I would say.

Seahawks Jermaine Kearse and Doug Baldwin were good finds too.

I think we as Steeler fans think we have the market cornered on good WR finds, just because of Brown. But Smoketonio was a 1st rounder, JuJu a 2nd, Mike Wallace a 3rd, Manny Sanders a 3rd. Bryant a 4th round pick. Its honestly the only position on the field that is more dependent on other positions being good before they can be good(QB, O-Line, RB, playcalling)

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Vikings with UDFA Adam Thielen and 5th round pick Stefon Diggs have done rather well I would say.

I think we as Steeler fans think we have the market cornered on good WR finds, just because of Brown. But Smoketonio was a 1st rounder, JuJu a 2nd, Mike Wallace a 3rd, Manny Sanders a 3rd. Bryant a 4th round pick. Its honestly the only position on the field that is more dependent on other positions being good before they can be good(QB, O-Line, RB, playcalling)
    You seem to want to go all in on the most simple, non combative statements at times. I know there are teams that have a fine history of drafting WRs and that the steelers don't have that 'market cornered'. (LOVE that, cornering the WR market, btw). I also think most everyone on this forum knows that as well. I read that post as an exaggeration but also as a historic observation. Some of the best WRs to play this game were Steelers historically. For me it started with Swann and Stallworth. Think about it as a single position grade. Over the decades to today you would have to give the Steelers an A at the WR spot.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/20...elers-history/

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    You seem to want to go all in on the most simple, non combative statements at times. I know there are teams that have a fine history of drafting WRs and that the steelers don't have that 'market cornered'. (LOVE that, cornering the WR market, btw). I also think most everyone on this forum knows that as well. I read that post as an exaggeration but also as a historic observation. Some of the best WRs to play this game were Steelers historically. For me it started with Swann and Stallworth. Think about it as a single position grade. Over the decades to today you would have to give the Steelers an A at the WR spot.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/20...elers-history/
    I don't know what you mean by "seem to want to go all in on the most simple, non-combative statements". Or I don't know what you are trying to demonstrate, or characterize me as, but have at it.

Teegre seemed to make a statement that he thinks the Steelers are the best at finding/drafting WR's. I would say that if you compared the Steelers top 3 WR's and their draft positions, to several other teams and their top 3, there are others that have found productive WR's from as obscure or more obscure draft/FA positions.

I think a lot of Steeler fans seem to think that because they found AB with a late pick that there is some greatness, but other teams have also found starting WR's with lower picks than 6th round. The last real UDFA I can think of the Steelers had that was a solid WR was Nate Washington, but maybe I am forgetting some guys.

we have had our share of misses also: Limas Sweed, Sammie Coates, Dri Archer, Markus Wheaton, DeMarcus Ayers, Justin Brown, Toney Clemons, Dallas Baker, Willie Reid and Fred Gibson for examples...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I don't know what you mean by "seem to want to go all in on the most simple, non-combative statements". Or I don't know what you are trying to demonstrate, or characterize me as, but have at it.

Teegre seemed to make a statement that he thinks the Steelers are the best at finding/drafting WR's. I would say that if you compared the Steelers top 3 WR's and their draft positions, to several other teams and their top 3, there are others that have found productive WR's from as obscure or more obscure draft/FA positions.

I think a lot of Steeler fans seem to think that because they found AB with a late pick that there is some greatness, but other teams have also found starting WR's with lower picks than 6th round. The last real UDFA I can think of the Steelers had that was a solid WR was Nate Washington, but maybe I am forgetting some guys.
    Right. But I was saying if you look at the NFL in the superbowl era from beginning to now, it's hard to find a team that has had more success at the WR position. i understand there is some debate. But it's not like it's just a far fetched statement either. Steelers fan or not I think most NFL fans would understand the point.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

I believe there were very good reports on Patterson at training camp.

So hopefully this was further validation of his ability as opposed to a random good game by an otherwise mediocre player.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Right. But I was saying if you look at the NFL in the superbowl era from beginning to now, it's hard to find a team that has had more success at the WR position. i understand there is some debate. But it's not like it's just a far fetched statement either. Steelers fan or not I think most NFL fans would understand the point.
    So now we are trying to make a subjective point about what NFL team has had the best WR's over the last 50 years? That is taking the thread right off the rails IMO. Can look up modern era HOF WR for some proof and you find any Steelers not named Swann or Stallworth?? One could argue the Raiders, Chargers, Cowboys, Packers always found very good WR's too.

Do I think the Steelers are one of the best, OK lets say top 10, but as Hawaiiansteeler points out, we have had a lot of misses....and he doesn't even have a couple 1st rounders like Troy Edwards or Charles Johnson on that list

Damoun Patterson is the latest preseason warrior that likely will not be on the 53. But if he continues like this, he could be the next Nate Washington IMO.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post

There’s some of that binary reasoning that mojoUW has been talking about.

IMO, it’s okay to compliment the receivers. It doesn’t mean that I think that “Ben sux!!!”

Uh... I’m not sure what you’re even talking about/what you read in my post.

Really.

Holmes, Wallace, Sanders, Bryant, JuJu, Washington... that’s pretty good drafting, IMO. I’m not sure why you think that “only” late round/URFAs count as good picks.

But, back to Patterson. For a guy battling for the 5th roster spot, he looked pretty good. #thatdoesNOTmeanthatBENSUX

Really.

Holmes, Wallace, Sanders, Bryant, JuJu, Washington... that’s pretty good drafting, IMO. I’m not sure why you think that “only” late round/URFAs count as good picks.

But, back to Patterson. For a guy battling for the 5th roster spot, he looked pretty good. #thatdoesNOTmeanthatBENSUX
    You said there isn't a team that drafts/finds WR as well as the Steelers do. I posted some examples of teams finding/drafting good WR in later rounds, which may find/draft WR better than the Steelers do. I think a lot of teams do a good job of finding WR and as earlier posted, the Steelers have missed on their fair share of WR, as do many more. IMO, Steelers aren't unique in finding good or missing on some hi draft pick WR's.

As for Patterson, yes I agree that his TD catch and a few other like his sideline grab from Rudolf showed he has the hands to make it. I thought he let one get away from him and his route/effort could have been better as Rudolf threw him a skinny post he didn't cut well out of break for it.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Really.

Don’t forget Ward.

You said there isn't a team that drafts/finds WR as well as the Steelers do. I posted some examples of teams finding/drafting good WR in later rounds, which may find/draft WR better than the Steelers do. I think a lot of teams do a good job of finding WR and as earlier posted, the Steelers have missed on their fair share of WR, as do many more. IMO, Steelers aren't unique in finding good or missing on some hi draft pick WR's.
    For shits & giggles, lets delve deeper. I shall stick with the three teams listed earlier: Seahawks, Vikings, & Steelers.

STEELERS:
    Good: AB, JuJu, Wallace, Bryant, Sanders, Santonio
    Busts: Ayers, Coates, Archer, Wheaton, Brown, Clemons, Sweed, Baker
    Who knows: Washington, Patterson, Rogers

VIKINGS:
    Good: Diggs, Thielen, Patterson (maybe), Harvin
    Busts: Treadwell, Adams, Boehringer, Wright, Childs, Burton, Johnson, Rice, Allison, Williams
    Who knows: Coley

SEAHAWKS:
    Good: Lockett, Kearse, Baldwin, Tate
    Busts: Lawler, Richardson, Norwood, Harper, Durham, Butler, Taylor, Kent
    Who knows: Darboh

SUMMATION:
    IMO, I’m taking the Steelers’ WR picks twenty times out of twenty.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

There’s some of that binary reasoning that mojoUW has been talking about.

IMO, it’s okay to compliment the receivers. It doesn’t mean that I think that “Ben sux!!!”

Teeg, I wasn't saying that you thought that Ben sucks. I used your post to point out something that always bothers me when people talk about how great the Steelers are at picking WRs. I know you believe Ben is a very good quarterback. Sorry if you took it that way.

It's just that we hear that drumbeat from every "expert", then add that to idiots like David Carr making statements about Ben's weapons "carrying him", and there is this picture of Ben out there that is just so stupid it is beyond reason. Brady plays with the greatest TE ever, but the picture painted is that he never has any quality weapons around him. That's all I was saying.