Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Damoun Patterson is Steelers Digest Player of the Week

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Damoun Patterson is Steelers Digest Player of the Week

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    So now we are trying to make a subjective point about what NFL team has had the best WR's over the last 50 years? That is taking the thread right off the rails IMO. Can look up modern era HOF WR for some proof and you find any Steelers not named Swann or Stallworth?? One could argue the Raiders, Chargers, Cowboys, Packers always found very good WR's too.

Do I think the Steelers are one of the best, OK lets say top 10, but as Hawaiiansteeler points out, we have had a lot of misses....and he doesn't even have a couple 1st rounders like Troy Edwards or Charles Johnson on that list

Damoun Patterson is the latest preseason warrior that likely will not be on the 53. But if he continues like this, he could be the next Nate Washington IMO.
    So now the WR has to be in the HoF????? See how that works? You are taking a simple statement, a non combative statement, and trying to say that the statement is not only false, but just a plain homer mis statement. That is what "going all in " means. Swann and Stallworth were just the beginning. Just check the link I previously posted. From The Swann/Stallworth era to the present AB era, there have been stellar WRs drafted by the Steelers in every era. You want to poo the accomplishments of Charles Johnson? Maybe it is you that needs to understand subjective. You are the one that goes on the attack when no attack is called for. Not a team player.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    So now the WR has to be in the HoF????? See how that works? You are taking a simple statement, a non combative statement, and trying to say that the statement is not only false, but just a plain homer mis statement. That is what "going all in " means. Swann and Stallworth were just the beginning. Just check the link I previously posted. From The Swann/Stallworth era to the present AB era, there have been stellar WRs drafted by the Steelers in every era. You want to poo the accomplishments of Charles Johnson? Maybe it is you that needs to understand subjective. You are the one that goes on the attack when no attack is called for. Not a team player.
    I was talking about recent players drafted or selected as UDFA, then you start talking the Super Bowl Era, (which is approx. the past 50 years) and I am going "all in"?

I'm saying I don't want to take this thread any further off the track than its already going, but for some reason you want to characterize me as combative and start taking the tangent out further. If that is your prerogative, feel free to do so as it really doesn't matter to me. I'm not taking the bait as I have no ill will or intentions towards you or anybody on this board that I can think of.

My position is that a UDFA in Patterson possibly making the team and that I think lots of NFL teams of late have found successful UDFA or later round picks to be productive WR's. I don't think the Steelers are significantly unique in that regard. I'm actually surprised that nobody has mentioned New England, as they always seem to find guys like Amendola, Chris Hogan, Brandon Lafell, Wes Welker, etc that become productive WR, seemingly above their expectations.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I was talking about recent players drafted or selected as UDFA, then you start talking the Super Bowl Era, (which is approx. the past 50 years) and I am going "all in"?

I'm saying I don't want to take this thread any further off the track than its already going, but for some reason you want to characterize me as combative and start taking the tangent out further. If that is your prerogative, feel free to do so as it really doesn't matter to me. I'm not taking the bait as I have no ill will or intentions towards you or anybody on this board that I can think of.

My position is that a UDFA in Patterson possibly making the team and that I think lots of NFL teams of late have found successful UDFA or later round picks to be productive WR's. I don't think the Steelers are significantly unique in that regard. I'm actually surprised that nobody has mentioned New England, as they always seem to find guys like Amendola, Chris Hogan, Brandon Lafell, Wes Welker, etc that become productive WR, seemingly above their expectations.

I'm that one that started the derailing of this thread with my rant about Ben getting shafted by the media constantly and the Steelers' ability to draft wide receivers.

Sorry about that everyone. That wasn't my intent.

Patterson impressed me with his ball skills. He made some nice plays and the catch in the end zone was crazy good.

I still have concerns about him because we didn't see him playing against press coverage and quality corners. Can he run good enough routes and show the necessary hand skills to get off the line and create separation? I still don't know. Most of the catches he made were against zone or off coverages from what I could see. He only had to read the defense properly and run the correct route(which is very impressive for a rookie at this stage of his career). I hope the kid keeps progressing and shows he can defeat quality press coverage and earn a spot on the roster. Time will tell.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I'm that one that started the derailing of this thread with my rant about Ben getting shafted by the media constantly and the Steelers' ability to draft wide receivers.

Sorry about that everyone. That wasn't my intent.

No problem at all. I believe that good QB's make WR's better. You can look at the list of guys that had Manning, Brady, Ben, Brees, Favre as QB's and they had better stats than with other teams. I agree that Patterson showed very good hands and footwork......that along with a desire to tackle on special teams will give him a shot at the roster, but 1 preseason game isn't getting me that hyped.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post

I'll fall on my sword for the greater good!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

And there is no quarterback in history that has been told so many times that he has been given another great receiver by the organization......only to see those wide receivers go elsewhere and underperform or drop out of the NFL.

Tom Brady never gets elite receivers....he makes them good because of his greatness. So say the "experts".

Ben is fortunate to have an organization that drafts and develops wide receivers better than anyone in history, the "experts" say.

Ben gets almost no credit for making all those WRs better.

And people wonder why Ben acts the way he does sometimes...

Having a QB like Ben does make it easier for good WRs to become great WRs. But he cannot make bad WRs into good WRs. As we saw in the AFCCG 2 years ago, Ben can put the ball exactly where it needs to be and if the WR is not up to the task, it doesn't really matter. Drew Brees is another great example of this. He has good WRs every season that he can make look like all stars. But when those guys leave, they are still good WRs just not up to the level they were with Brees. Moss had a great career but maybe his best season was with Brady.(???) Just goes to show Ben should get more credit for his play than he does nationally.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Teeg, I wasn't saying that you thought that Ben sucks. I used your post to point out something that always bothers me when people talk about how great the Steelers are at picking WRs. I know you believe Ben is a very good quarterback. Sorry if you took it that way.

It's just that we hear that drumbeat from every "expert", then add that to idiots like David Carr making statements about Ben's weapons "carrying him", and there is this picture of Ben out there that is just so stupid it is beyond reason. Brady plays with the greatest TE ever, but the picture painted is that he never has any quality weapons around him. That's all I was saying.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Damoun Patterson: Man on a mission

By JIM WEXELL Aug 14

LATROBE - It came begrudgingly but Mike Tomlin did admit that wide receiver Damoun Patterson "made some plays" in the Steelers' preseason opener.

Just don't tell Tomlin that Patterson has had a good camp.

"YOU said good camp," Tomlin repeated in correcting his post-game questioner.

It inferred that Tomlin did not say that, would not say that, WILL not say that.

After all, Patterson is a rookie.

But if there's one rookie who won't get a big head, it's Patterson. He's gone through way too much to ever worry about coachly semantics. Just consider his odyssey:

to read rest of article:

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...ion-120660764/