Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Dobbs

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Josh Dobbs

its 1 preseason game , I get it trust me ...

but I am impressed at how much he has improved ...

sure he has some throws that I bet he wished he had back but that doesn't take away the improved presence he has .

That Deep ball to the kid from YSU Patterson was a thing of beauty ( and what an adjustment from Patterson ) but make no mistake the ball was put in the only spot it could be to have any chance at a completion ...

this could spark the debate a bit Dobbs or Jones ...

me I go with the one with upside if we continue to see the same strides the rest of the preseason ...
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Re: Josh Dobbs

that was a great TD throw!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    its 1 preseason game , I get it trust me ...

but I am impressed at how much he has improved ...

sure he has some throws that I bet he wished he had back but that doesn't take away the improved presence he has .

That Deep ball to the kid from YSU Patterson was a thing of beauty ( and what an adjustment from Patterson ) but make no mistake the ball was put in the only spot it could be to have any chance at a completion ...

this could spark the debate a bit Dobbs or Jones ...

me I go with the one with upside if we continue to see the same strides the rest of the preseason ...
    This was the gist of my debate after the draft. We know what Jones brings to the table, and what his talent ceiling is. We've just tapped Dobbs's talent. Unless there's a need for a strong locker room presence, I think it may be possible we see Jones exit (keeping in mind this is just the first game, and all, and things can change).

The one thing I said about Dobbs last year and it has remained true this year, he does not make the same mistake twice. The kid is smart and moreover, puts those smarts to work. While I don't think he'll ever make a good starter over a sixteen-game season, he'll be a solid spot-starter and very good backup in this league.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Other than the one throw he looked like the same Dobbs to me.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post

The one thing I said about Dobbs last year and it has remained true this year, he does not make the same mistake twice.
    Yes, but if he finds a new way to make a mistake on every play, I’m not sure that matters. ;

I guess I don’t really care what his upside is if we’re not grooming him to be the starter. I care about who is the better QB THIS YEAR between Dobbs and Jones. That’s it. The #3 QB spot is not the place to groom your future #2. It’s the place for the third best QB. We can worry about our future number 2... well, never.

We groom our future #1. No other Grooming. We’ll worry about Rudolph’s back up when Ben retires. We don’t need to hold a spot for that guy unless he’s ALREADY in the top 3.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Josh Dobbs

He wasn’t impressive enough to unseat Landry. If the Steelers weren’t in playoff contention maybe he would, but if Ben goes down for 6 games, they aren’t letting Dobbs run the offense over Landry...not saying they would give it to Landry either, but at this stage, they go with the one with more veteran experience unless the talent level outweighs it...which at this point, does not. Still some time though to see what Dobbs has.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    He wasn’t impressive enough to unseat Landry. If the Steelers weren’t in playoff contention maybe he would, but if Ben goes down for 6 games, they aren’t letting Dobbs run the offense over Landry...not saying they would give it to Landry either, but at this stage, they go with the one with more veteran experience unless the talent level outweighs it...which at this point, does not. Still some time though to see what Dobbs has.
    Since Ben's preseason work probably will be two series in preseason game three maybe give Dobbs a shot in the first half of that game with better players on both sides of the ball if you want to showcase Dobbs for a possible trade?

Hate to just waive a fourth round QB pick in his second year. But I cannot imagine the Steelers would gamble with Dobbs & Rudolph as the backups to Ben and no way Dobbs makes it to the practice squad - someone will sign him if he is not traded.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

What about this scenario, I am reading that the Rams have a big need for a backup, what if we could trade Landry to the Rams for an above average ILB?

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Agree.

All I care about is that they are able to play Dobbs enough over the next several games that they can make the right choice.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Agree.

All I care about is that they are able to play Dobbs enough over the next several games that they can make the right choice.
    The one TD throw was a penalty throw so credit gets reduced a little for that. IMO he still has the happy feet deer in the headlights look. I just don't see any way he stays other than PS. The one possibility is if MR shows enough to make Landry expendable. Then we can trade Landry for a second round pick (LOL).

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Jones is about a D+ quarterback and isn't going to improve any further. Dobbs is about a straight D and might improve or might not. Furthermore, Jones might have some trade value but Dobbs almost certainly has none.

I'd take the guy who might have a higher ceiling. If we get down to the third-string quarterback in the regular season, make no mistake, we are fucked. Choosing between a D and a D+ doesn't really make any difference.

If Dobbs turns out to be a B or a B- though, that makes a huge difference.

In other words, between these two guys, the only path potentially leading to anything other than a miserable failure is if Dobbs improves. So you go with that and shouldn't even have to think hard about it.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

The one TD throw was a penalty throw so credit gets reduced a little for that. IMO he still has the happy feet deer in the headlights look. I just don't see any way he stays other than PS. The one possibility is if MR shows enough to make Landry expendable. Then we can trade Landry for a second round pick (LOL).
    can we not say the same of Jones ? his only TD pass was on a penalty at the LOS he seen the flag and took a shot , poorly thrown jump ball to JuJU who make an outstanding play to high point the ball come down with it break a tackle and score the TD .... that play had way more to do with JuJu than it did Jones ..

everything else Jones completed was 10 yards or less

can we not say the same of Jones ? his only TD pass was on a penalty at the LOS he seen the flag and took a shot , poorly thrown jump ball to JuJU who make an outstanding play to high point the ball come down with it break a tackle and score the TD .... that play had way more to do with JuJu than it did Jones ..

The difference is that Jones has a larger body of work and REAL game experience. That is what's keeping him on the roster more than a quarter of play in preseason game 1.

Dobbs is fighting an uphill battle and I think how Rudolph does is more important for his future than how he does. Rudolph needs to light it up and bump Jones from the #2.

I liked what I saw from Rudolph last night except the fumble.

The difference is that Jones has a larger body of work and REAL game experience. That is what's keeping him on the roster more than a quarter of play in preseason game 1.

Dobbs is fighting an uphill battle and I think how Rudolph does is more important for his future than how he does. Rudolph needs to light it up and bump Jones from the #2.

I liked what I saw from Rudolph last night except the fumble.
    Except, Rudolph did about as much as Dobbs, only, he did very little of it from under center. I don't doubt Rudolph has a much higher ceiling, and will get there much faster, but what I don't understand is the dislike of Dobbs who had a very similar game, except he was able to escape sacks. I honestly think that if Rudolph and Dobbs both improve each of the next three games, we just might finally see the end of Landry, whose real game experience shows him to be a QB we can't depend on to win unless we're playing the Browns.

And, to head off the inevitable (General, not directed at you, DS) "But this is Rudolph's first year and Dobbs's second, so we should have seen more from Dobbs!" No. Why? Because Dobbs played against a higher class of defense than Rudolph. As such, they played their equals. Had Dobbs played in Rudolph's position, there's every reason to assume he would have had an even better game because he was playing against lower competition and Rudolph would have had a worse game because he was playing stronger competition. Now, again, let me stress. This isn't a once and for all assessment of Rudolph. It's merely what happened in this game.

Oh, and as to the penalty throw... I disagree completely. It takes a presence of mind to recognize the penalty, to know who it was called on, and then take advantage of it. We all expect that happen every time because we're used to seeing seasoned NFL QBs do that, but it is something learned, and both Landry and Dobbs showed it last night, which makes me happy. (Rudolph, I'm sure, will pick it up soon at the NFL speed if he hasn't already).

Rudolph looked calmer than Dobbs to me. For me, that says as much as anything else.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Dobbs will be the odd man out, if Ben gets injured the Steelers are not going to want Dobbs or Rudolph having to start.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Just build up some trade value Dobbs.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Who says Josh Dobbs is the odd one out?

Let's be honest and real here. Landry Jones is not the answer under any circumstance. Period. He'll stick around because he's a vet, knows the offense and thus is a competent backup.

The biggest knock on Landry isn't that he's bad, he's incredibly safe. However, Landry doesn't inspire or rally. He's just a guy who is there. Take away the Juju Touchdown (that was a free play BTW) and it was just a typical Landry Jones game last night. Sleep-inducing. Safe. Uninspired. Landry does nothing special and inspires nothing special. He doesn't take command. He doesn't rally. Landry is the cream of the crap. Landry will not make the big mistake, but he will not make the plays to win the game either.

Like in the 2016 game against New England, where everyone says Landry played "good". He wasn't good. Landry didn't play like total garbage like we expected to, but he did nothing spectacular either. He was mediocre. I hope and pray the coaches and the FO don't fall for the Landry illusion like so many on here have. Beating shitty Browns teams doesn't make you a good quarterback.

All we can ask for Rudolph or Dobbs improves over the next few games. Those guys clearly have more on the table than Landry, let's just hope they do enough to stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post

Let's be honest and real here. Landry Jones is not the answer under any circumstance. Period. He'll stick around because he's a vet, knows the offense and thus is a competent backup.

The biggest knock on Landry isn't that he's bad, he's incredibly safe. However, Landry doesn't inspire or rally. He's just a guy who is there. Take away the Juju Touchdown (that was a free play BTW) and it was just a typical Landry Jones game last night. Sleep-inducing. Safe. Uninspired. Landry does nothing special and inspires nothing special. He doesn't take command. He doesn't rally. Landry is the cream of the crap. Landry will not make the big mistake, but he will not make the plays to win the game either.

Like in the 2016 game against New England, where everyone says Landry played "good". He wasn't good. Landry didn't play like total garbage like we expected to, but he did nothing spectacular either. He was mediocre. I hope and pray the coaches and the FO don't fall for the Landry illusion like so many on here have. Beating shitty Browns teams doesn't make you a good quarterback.

All we can ask for Rudolph or Dobbs improves over the next few games. Those guys clearly have more on the table than Landry, let's just hope they do enough to stand out.
    That's exactly what they want in a backup for 2-4 games. Help us go 1-1 or 2-2 until Ben gets back. Just don't lose the game.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

That's exactly what they want in a backup for 2-4 games. Help us go 1-1 or 2-2 until Ben gets back. Just don't lose the game.
    Exactly, a backup. Not a quarterback worth keeping a roster spot open over other players. If "hold the fort until Ben gets back" is all the Steelers are concerned about with Landry, then this team has bigger problems than we thought.

The Steelers won't lose the game, but at the same time, Landry can't be counted on to win it either. That stuff may work against the winless Browns in Week 17, but against halfway competent opponents in critical games that may decide playoff seeding, that simply won't cut it. The Steelers can't hide Landry forever. Sooner or later he's going to have to make something happen.

For all of the shit we gave Mike Vick in his time here (don't get me wrong, he was horrendous), he made critical plays to help them win in San Diego back in 2015. That long bomb to Wheaton, and the game-winning drive. If Vick doesn't pull it off, the 2015 Steelers don't even sniff the postseason. Put Landry in that same situation, does he pull it off?

There's a reason why the coaches decided to ride with Vick, as terrible as he was, over Landry (who at that point was in his third year in the offense) in the first place. You have to have a guy who can get the job done. Landry just does not inspire the confidence.

There's a reason that backup QBs last 10-12 years in the league and then become head coaches...

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I thought Dobbs made some good intermediate throws and seemed quicker in decision making than last year. I also saw a couple bad decisions, one of which was the INT as he likely should have thrown it to the deep receiver. I also saw him a bit quick to take his eyes off downfield and to the rushers rather than his receivers. That was the same as last season. Also, the option pitch is a TD if he keeps, it but we arent looking to evaluate an option QB IMO.

Still, an improvement but I dont know if its enough to anoint him the #2 QB for the Steelers. I dont think Rudolph did anything to show that he is ready to be the #2, but will be the heir apparent and it sounds like he is progressing very well in camp.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    What about this scenario, I am reading that the Rams have a big need for a backup, what if we could trade Landry to the Rams for an above average ILB?
    Anything would be better than Matekevich. Even Shazier in his current condition might be comparable...and that may not be as big a joke as you’d think...

Was it really poorly thrown or was it thrown to a point where JuJu could get it and not the DB?

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

Dobbs is practice squad eligible. Stash him there this year, nobody's going to take him. Let Landry play out this last year of his contract; next year Rudolph will be ready to be the primary backup. Next offseason we can worry about whether Dobbs is good enough to be the thirdstringer, or if Landry will want to stick around for the honor.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I don't think he stays all year on the practice squad. Too much upside. Someone will take advantage of his availability.
    and I doubt he clears waivers , someone else will snag him and get an in person look ...QB is the hardest roster spot to fill with players with upside and potential ... Dobbs has both ..

He's going to go on "injured" reserve and be the #3 next year.