Thread: Pro Football Hall of Fame Semifinalists: Hines Ward, James Harrison

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Pro Football Hall of Fame Semifinalists: Hines Ward, James Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Pro Football Hall of Fame Semifinalists: Hines Ward, James Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Would be great if either can get in, but if I had to choose one this time, it would be Ward, and I am a silverback fan.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Hines def deserves it.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Harrison has a DPOY and has an argument for being the best defensive player in the game for 'multiple' seasons. He's 100% a HOF.

Ward has an uphill battle for his position. He does not have the stats like many of his peers, but with two rings, a Super Bowl MVP, and arguably being known as the best blocking receiver of all time. I can see Ward getting in as a part of the senior committee down the road.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Harrison has a DPOY and has an argument for being the best defensive player in the game for 'multiple' seasons. He's 100% a HOF.

Ward has an uphill battle for his position. He does not have the stats like many of his peers, but with two rings, a Super Bowl MVP, and arguably being known as the best blocking receiver of all time. I can see Ward getting in as a part of the senior committee down the road.
    I mean, he was so fierce they had to change the rules of football to protect defenders from him. That has to count for something.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I mean, he was so fierce they had to change the rules of football to protect defenders from him. That has to count for something.
    That too, though he was painted as the devil during that time period. Something the league won't gloat about. Still one of the baddest mf's that has walked on an NFL field.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I think you kind of nail what both these players were.

Harrison was an elite defender and perhaps the best defensive player in the game for a number of years. His career was relatively short but if a guy like Terell Davis gets in, Harrison should be in. He was the baddest man on an NFL field for an extended period of time.

Like you said, Ward probably has to wait a good while to have a chance to get in because his numbers don't compare to the best at his position.

Member Array title="MikeT is on a distinguished road">

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I think you kind of nail what both these players were.

Harrison was an elite defender and perhaps the best defensive player in the game for a number of years. His career was relatively short but if a guy like Terell Davis gets in, Harrison should be in. He was the baddest man on an NFL field for an extended period of time.

Like you said, Ward probably has to wait a good while to have a chance to get in because his numbers don't compare to the best at his position.
    Only thing missing from this about Harrison is his Journey to becoming the player that he was. He wasnt some high draft pick that came in and had a starting role handed to him. He worked his tail off to become elite and thru lots of ups and downs. That makes for a pretty cool part of the story as well.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Yeah, this might be the year for Harrison, but I agree that Ward may take a while if he ever gets in.

Julius Peppers, Reggie Wayne, Antonio Gates, Dwight Freeney, James Harrison, Rodney Harrison are my guesses this year.

Andre Johnson, Devin Hester, Eddie George, Torry Holt, Ricky Watters, Vince Wilfork, Eric Allen could all be in the mix as well.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Both are great players. Both have an impressive track record of achievements. Neither is a HOF'er in my opinion.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

So for Deebo the "magic" number is 100 sacks. He doesn't have that. However, there are several HOF'ers under 100 sacks.

Deebo has a DPOY, 2x SB Champion, 4x AFC Champion (yeah one w/the Cheats**), 2x First Team All Pro, 2x Second team All Pro, 5x Pro Bowl.

FWIW, Deebo himself said he doesn't think he deserves to get in.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    So for Deebo the "magic" number is 100 sacks. He doesn't have that. However, there are several HOF'ers under 100 sacks.

Deebo has a DPOY, 2x SB Champion, 4x AFC Champion (yeah one w/the Cheats**), 2x First Team All Pro, 2x Second team All Pro, 5x Pro Bowl.

FWIW, Deebo himself said he doesn't think he deserves to get in.
    For me the stats of Super Bowls and AFCC dont really mean anything in the conversation. Lots of great players played on lousy teams and didnt have team success. So for Deebo the DPOY and All Pro awards mean something, as I recall there was a 3-5 year stretch where he was dominant and one of the most impactful defensive players in the league. Elvis Dumerville has 105.5 career sacks and I dont consider him to be HOF worthy, but Deebo I do.

Senior Member Array title="Rocky Mtn. is just really nice">

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    For me the stats of Super Bowls and AFCC dont really mean anything in the conversation. Lots of great players played on lousy teams and didnt have team success. So for Deebo the DPOY and All Pro awards mean something, as I recall there was a 3-5 year stretch where he was dominant and one of the most impactful defensive players in the league. Elvis Dumerville has 105.5 career sacks and I dont consider him to be HOF worthy, but Deebo I do.
    In pass rushing ,Harrison was HELD to some degree on almost every play. The refs let so many of them slide .

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

hines has a a uphill ar WR it took art monk forever to get in . as far as deebo i doubt he ever makes it, but it would be great to hear his speech lol

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsdancefloor View Post
    hines has a a uphill ar WR it took art monk forever to get in . as far as deebo i doubt he ever makes it, but it would be great to hear his speech lol
    As a homer I want both of them to get in as soon as possible, but realistically…..I’m not sure either one of them will ever get in.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Harrison has the greatest play in Super Bowl History on his resume as well. That doesn’t hurt…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I like how baseball shows the voting results so you know how close a guy is and you're able to project his election in the near future. I think both of these guys deserve to be in.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Harold Carmichael got in. Yes different era and his stats were not that great. Hines will eventually get in maybe later on.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk

One of the best, sure. But he wasn't even the best defensive player on the team. That, I think, goes to Troy. Nevertheless, for a good five or so seasons, he was perhaps one of, if not the best OLB in the NFL. I absolutely think he belongs in the HoF.
    ------------

Hines Ward belongs in it as well but I think it may be a harder road for him because HoF voters tend not to value grunt work like blocking.

Senior Member Array title="willy has a reputation beyond repute"> willy's Avatar

I don't know about James Harrison. I didn't see him enough to judge. You sure knew he was out there though.

Rodney Harrison, also a semifinalists, and another hard hitter, should get in.