Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Dobbs

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: Josh Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Cyphon25 View Post
    I know I wasn't involved but just from an outside perspective reading the conversation I thought you were using the wrong term. Granted I don't know if I am accurate or not but the impression I have is that an RPO (and specifically the running part of it) involves a running back running and not a QB. So pointing out Dobbs mobility in relation to RPO's seems irrelevant if that is the correct idea behind an RPO (again, I am not 100% sure on it). It is either you hand to the RB or throw a quick pass. The QB isn't supposed to be running. Dobbs mobility would be more suited to the college style option.
    I agree, the point you make that is above in bold is what confused me as well.

If the QB has the option to keep or hand off and he determines that by reading the DE/OLB, then its a read option. RPO is where a QB like Nick Foles either hands off to the RB from pistol formation (run option), or keeps it to throw a quick slant, bubble screen or whatever quick pass option is called. IMO, read options are great to get your QB injured....just look at Bob Griffin's first 2 seasons with the Redskins to see that.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I’m sorry but I refuse to include that Jones’s stats in a no pressure game against a winless team. Take that start away and he is 2-2 as a starter. Okay. His yards per attempt were like 9 and then 6.5. Okay. His ratings were 77 and 86.

He’s okay, almost.

He also had better defenses those years. But he’s still probably the safe bet.
    If he’s 2-2 after you take that start away, he’s right where you want your back up QB to be over a 4 game stretch. The rule of thumb is you want your back up to be able to go .500 or better while in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    If he’s 2-2 after you take that start away, he’s right where you want your back up QB to be over a 4 game stretch. The rule of thumb is you want your back up to be able to go .500 or better while in there.
    I’m not arguing with you. Jones is the safer bet for 2018, and that’s all that matters to me. I’m not interested in grooming a potentially better BACK UP. That’s why Dobbs is pretty much worthless, unless they can trade him. But everyone knows they are going to cut him. Unless...

They get a REALLY good trade offer for Landry Jones. Which they won’t.

Unless Dobbs gets INSTANTLY more dependable than Jones (before they make their cuts) Dobbs is gone. It isn’t even a story, even though people keep writing about it.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

According to today's depth chart, Rudolph may be the guy on the bubble, not Dobbs. Jones is listed as #2, as I'd expect.

Best,
    -Slashy
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    According to today's depth chart, Rudolph may be the guy on the bubble, not Dobbs. Jones is listed as #2, as I'd expect.

Best,
    -Slashy
    ZERO chance the Steelers cut Rudolph...

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    ZERO chance the Steelers cut Rudolph...
    not unless he kills someone or is busted for 5 pounds of dope in his trunk
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Best,
    -Slashy
    Don't take depth charts seriously this time of the season. They do it because the league tells them to put it out.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Best,
    -Slashy
    If Rudolph would be released, Ben’s “I knew this was a dumb pick” rant on his radio appearance/psychotherapy session the following Tuesday morning would be epic

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post

sadly so it seems ...

this is a showcase move ....

try and drum up a trade market for the young signal caller and it may work .....

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Montreal needs a QB since Manziel isnt working out there. Maybe can trade for some Crown Royal?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

sadly so it seems ...

this is a showcase move ....

try and drum up a trade market for the young signal caller and it may work .....
    I don't think they could hope for anything more than a conditional 7th rounder in return. Maybe in other years either Jones or Dobbs might fetch more, but in a year where Bridgewater is almost certainly available - those two pale in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I don't think they could hope for anything more than a conditional 7th rounder in return. Maybe in other years either Jones or Dobbs might fetch more, but in a year where Bridgewater is almost certainly available - those two pale in comparison.
    certainly will need to catch a break due to another teams misfortune , if someone is looking for a starter they should move quickly on Teddy to give him some time to learn a new system

but for a backup .... not many will be looking at Teddy as he will not be cost effective

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I think the Jets may be holding out for another team to lose their starter to injury. At that point, Bridegwater becomes last year's Sam Bradford and a team gets hosed for a high draft pick.

since RPO is the new hot topic , this makes a lot of sense to read I suppose

"Dobbs, on the other hand, has a stronger arm and can pick up yards with his legs."

I agree that Dobbs can pick up yards with his legs, but he doesn't appear to have a stronger arm than Jones. If anything, I believe that is Dobbs weakness is arm strength and he cant make all the throws with velocity. He left some deep outs or cross field passes short and hanging in the preseason that were knocked down.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    "Dobbs, on the other hand, has a stronger arm and can pick up yards with his legs."

I agree that Dobbs can pick up yards with his legs, but he doesn't appear to have a stronger arm than Jones. If anything, I believe that is Dobbs weakness is arm strength and he cant make all the throws with velocity. He left some deep outs or cross field passes short and hanging in the preseason that were knocked down.

Jones rarely has to worry about arm strength a 12 year old can throw it 15 yards or less

Jones rarely has to worry about arm strength a 12 year old can throw it 15 yards or less
    But can they throw it with enough velocity that its not knocked down or intercepted? Jones has a stronger arm than Dobbs, but the blogger of that article is likely anti-Landry Jones.

But can they throw it with enough velocity that its not knocked down or intercepted? Jones has a stronger arm than Dobbs, but the blogger of that article is likely anti-Landry Jones.

if it is off target does it matter ?

cause many of Jones's are just that even at short range

if it is off target does it matter ?

cause many of Jones's are just that even at short range
    I'm confused. Are you complaining about Jones arm strength (which is better than Dobbs) or Jones accuracy, which was 82.1% completion rate last season and 63.9% for his career??

I'm confused. Are you complaining about Jones arm strength (which is better than Dobbs) or Jones accuracy, which was 82.1% completion rate last season and 63.9% for his career??
    I contend I could complete 81% of my passes too is 90% of them are 10 yards or less

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

I contend I could complete 81% of my passes too is 90% of them are 10 yards or less
    DWins,
    I bet you couldn't. Not in an actual game with linebackers trying to smear you into a grease spot while the corners are coating your receivers like an EPA superfund site.
    Best,
    -Slashy
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

DWins,
    I bet you couldn't. Not in an actual game with linebackers trying to smear you into a grease spot while the corners are coating your receivers like an EPA superfund site.
    Best,
    -Slashy

meh I am as big as those linebacker though haha ...

lets be honest here without a training camp and knowing the playbook it would be impossible ... BUT most of Jones completions are 3-10 yard throws .... I can zing the ball pretty good and accurately and honestly do not see how it would be any worse as stupid as that may sound ... its not like we are talking about Ben or Aaron Rodgers here where we have to chuck it 50 yards or so in the air we are literally taking about 12-30 feet

DWins,
    Honestly, I don't think you grasp the complexity of the job of an actual NFL quarterback. It has very little to do with the ability to "zing a ball pretty good and accurately", even at short range. Kind of akin to claiming you could be a competent NASCAR crew chief because you can turn a screwdriver; there's a *whole lot* more to the job and what you can do can be done by literally any of us. But there are only 32 starters in the NFL and most of 'em suck. There's a reason for that.

Best,
    -Slashy

DWins,
    Honestly, I don't think you grasp the complexity of the job of an actual NFL quarterback. It has very little to do with the ability to "zing a ball pretty good and accurately", even at short range. Kind of akin to claiming you could be a competent NASCAR crew chief because you can turn a screwdriver; there's a *whole lot* more to the job and what you can do can be done by literally any of us. But there are only 32 starters in the NFL and most of 'em suck. There's a reason for that.

Best,
    -Slashy
    trust me I get it ....

I am not saying I would be good at it .... but neither is jones

. Kind of akin to claiming you could be a competent NASCAR crew chief because you can turn a screwdriver;
    Kind of like how steelworkers can purport themselves to be a credible authority on the Steelers because they have a computer and a blog?

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

You need to have a veteran backup at QB. Not saying he needs to have 10 years exp or anything. Ben and Brady are more the exception than the rule. That does not happen very often. Maybe MR is capable of the same success, maybe not. We know from what we have seen that Dobbs is not ready to be the starter here. We also know LJ is not the future starter. But he is currently the better option over Dobbs. If Ben goes out for any extended period of games, it will be LJ running the offense. I'm fairly certain of that.
    I don't know that trading one of these QBs is a worthwhile gamble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk