Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Dobbs

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Re: Josh Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    If Dobbs & Rudolph become 2 & 3 I am fine with that.

However, I am not sure why there is all this hand-wringing about the sky falling if Jones had to play more than 4 games.

He could probably play half the season and we would still have a very good chance of making the playoffs.

maybe if we play the browns 8 times in a row

I kid I kid

well sort of
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

Dobbs and Rudolph is a fine plan as far as I'm concerned. Dobbs has obviously progressed from last year, Rudolph was drafted with the idea that he could be the future. If we're able to keep them both we can see who really pans out to take over for Ben. Dobbs is looking comfortable enough at this point that I think he could step into the number 2 spot pretty easily. I'd start seeing what I could get for Jones. As someone else said, he's mediocre. Mediocre describes most of the backups in the league and someone is sure to need that. We might be able to get something useful for him. If both the new guys develop well, then down the line one of them can be our Jimmy Garoppolo and we trade him for something good.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Point #1...We do know what we have with Jones.

Point #2...Dobbs is progressing.

Point #3...Rudolph makes the same mistakes as a rookie would.

Landry Jones will be the backup this season. Just like when Ben was drafted, the Steelers will carry 4 QBs into the reg season.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pepsyman1 View Post
    Dobbs and Rudolph is a fine plan as far as I'm concerned. Dobbs has obviously progressed from last year, Rudolph was drafted with the idea that he could be the future. If we're able to keep them both we can see who really pans out to take over for Ben. Dobbs is looking comfortable enough at this point that I think he could step into the number 2 spot pretty easily. I'd start seeing what I could get for Jones. As someone else said, he's mediocre. Mediocre describes most of the backups in the league and someone is sure to need that. We might be able to get something useful for him. If both the new guys develop well, then down the line one of them can be our Jimmy Garoppolo and we trade him for something good.
    I would be shocked if that happens. On both of Dobbs TD passes he was short and if not for an excellent effort by Washington they would have both been Intercepted. Rudolph has played like a rookie staring down receivers and just hasn't impressed me that much either. That being said one is only a 2nd year player and the other is a rookie playing like a rookie. I just don't see it happening. As much as Jones is average he's got experience. If anything I would lean that we keep all 4 as stated by Born2Steel.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I think it is a question of what the team decides to value. Looking at recent QB trades, Landry Jones will not bring back anything aside from a conditional 6th or 7th round pick. Maybe a tick more if there is a rash of QB injuries and someone freaks out. Dobbs would bring less of a return and Rudolph isn’t being moved. So, most likely, a trade is off the table unless it is a player for player — say Jones for a depth LBer or something.

Rudolph makes the team unless he kills a member of the Rooney family. Ben does even if he helps Rudolph hide the body, Personally, I would go with Dobbs based on the old Tom Moore quote that were are F$#@ed if the back-up plays anyways.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

Rudolph makes the team unless he kills a member of the Rooney family. Ben does even if he helps Rudolph hide the body
    Ben would help hide the body then dime out Rudolph on his Tuesday morning radio show to deep six the career of his heir apparent

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Ben would help hide the body then dime out Rudolph on his Tuesday morning radio show to deep six the career of his heir apparent

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

were are F$#@ed if the back-up plays anyways.
    Landry Jones' regular season record thus far:
    2015 5-2, 77.3 passer rating
    2016 5-3, 86.3 passer rating
    2017 3-0, 99.3 passer rating
    ----------------
    Total 13-5, 85.0

2018 preseason 1-0, 158.3 passer rating.

I wouldn't call these numbers "F$#@ed".
    I don't see them dumping Jones this season. Perhaps next year, once Rudoloph or Dobbs is developed enough to take on the backup role.

Best,
    -Slashy
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

They are too close to dump jones. In their mind, Jones gives them the best chance to go 3-3 if Ben is out 6 games. If Ben were out for a full season, that’s a different story. I’d be shocked if they let Landry go...although I’d welcome it. I’d rather just see them throw Rudolph into the fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I still like the idea that Dobbs gives you an alternative from a scheme aspect.

He is very athletic, which means he is able to give the RPO looks to defenses while still being able to operate the same offense Ben runs from the pocket. It's something that they can go to more if they choose.

I also disagree with some that are saying that all these quarterbacks are garbage. I think the Steelers have done better with all four QBs on the roster than they did with the turnstile of losers they mostly had for 20-something years between Bradshaw and Ben. They are not getting complete stiffs. All these guys can play a little bit, and in the case of Dobbs and Rudolph, they are very young and should get much better.

I have no idea who they plan on keeping, but I like the idea of Dobbs and Rudolph going forward.

Let's also not forget that these backups aren't playing with AB, Martavis Bryant, Bell, etc... They are going out there and playing with rookies and backups. Jones has gotten a ton of time playing with all the weapons in the game. I would love to see what Dobbs and Rudolph could do with all weapons in place, but that isn't going to happen in preseason.

Is it possible someone is willing to give up a decent draft pick for Jones? I doubt it, but who knows.

This is going to be interesting.

Agreed.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    ----------------
    Total 13-5, 85.0

I don't see them dumping Jones this season. Perhaps next year, once Rudoloph or Dobbs is developed enough to take on the backup role.

Best,
    -Slashy
    What the heck are you talking about?! Landry Jones hasn't started 18 games lol.

From Pro Football Reference for Landry Jones
    Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD AV
    2013 24 PIT 3 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0
    2014 25 PIT 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    2015 26 PIT qb 3 7 2 1-1-0 32 55 58.2 513 3 5.5 4 7.3 88 9.3 7.1 16.0 73.3 77.3 43.8 2 17 8.70 6.60 3.5 0 1 1
    2016 27 PIT qb 3 8 2 1-1-0 53 86 61.6 558 4 4.7 2 2.3 51 6.5 6.4 10.5 69.8 86.3 43.8 4 34 5.82 5.71 4.4 1 1 2
    2017 28 PIT qb 3 3 1 1-0-0 23 28 82.1 239 1 3.6 1 3.6 46 8.5 7.6 10.4 79.7 99.3 67.0 3 15 7.23 6.42 9.7 1
    Career 19 5 3-2-0 108 169 63.9 1310 8 4.7 7 4.1 88 7.8 6.8 12.1 68.9 86.2 9 66 6.99 6.12 5.1 1 2 4

So Landry is not good.

He completes a decent # of passes for not very many yards and turns the ball over as often as he generates touchdowns.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

So Landry is not good.

He completes a decent # of passes for not very many yards and turns the ball over as often as he generates touchdowns.
    To his credit, he has a better career record than Deshaun Watson (3-3) LOL...

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    To his credit, he has a better career record than Deshaun Watson (3-3) LOL...
    Okay, I’m sold. We trade Jones for Watson.

Then Ben signs a three year deal at a bargain-basement price so he doesn’t lose his job.

Then we trade Watson for the best inside linebacker there is (on a team that needs a QB upgrade) AND we’ll have the money to pay him.

Or we keep Watson as the best backup in the NFL... until Ben throws his first incomplete pass and the crowd turns on him, cheering to replace him with Watson.

Then the press start foaming at the mouth about “Steelers drama.”

In any scenario, things get much more interesting.

I like the way you think, DesertSteel!

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Jones is a vet that knows the playbook inside and out, his job is safe. I won't be shocked if he's on this team for most of his career, or until the team no longer wants him.

The hope for Dobbs Imo was always to build some type of trade value. Really hoping some team that needs youth at their QB depth chart has interest. Don't care for any late round pick. Saints(Craig Robertson) and Miami(Stephone Anthony) has some LB depth I would be interested in.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

----------------
    Total 13-5, 85.0

Best,
    -Slashy
    sorry but this is #FAKENEWS

- - - Updated - - -

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD AV
    2015 26 PIT qb 3 7 2 1-1-0 32 55 58.2 513 3 5.5 4 7.3 88 9.3 7.1 16.0 73.3 77.3 43.8 2 17 8.70 6.60 3.5 0 1 1
    2016 27 PIT qb 3 8 2 1-1-0 53 86 61.6 558 4 4.7 2 2.3 51 6.5 6.4 10.5 69.8 86.3 43.8 4 34 5.82 5.71 4.4 1 1 2
    2017 28 PIT qb 3 3 1 1-0-0 23 28 82.1 239 1 3.6 1 3.6 46 8.5 7.6 10.4 79.7 99.3 67.0 3 15 7.23 6.42 9.7 1
    Career 19 5 3-2-0 108 169 63.9 1310 8 4.7 7 4.1 88 7.8 6.8 12.1 68.9 86.2 9 66 6.99 6.12 5.1 1 2 4

So Landry is not good.

Checkdown is his middle name

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    I would be shocked if that happens. On both of Dobbs TD passes he was short and if not for an excellent effort by Washington they would have both been Intercepted. Rudolph has played like a rookie staring down receivers and just hasn't impressed me that much either. That being said one is only a 2nd year player and the other is a rookie playing like a rookie. I just don't see it happening. As much as Jones is average he's got experience. If anything I would lean that we keep all 4 as stated by Born2Steel.

Landry Jones's only significant completion this year was a long touchdown pass that he underthrew by 10 or 15 yards to a wide open receiver. Are you really going to use that argument against Dobbs?

I'm not saying that keeping Landry Jones is wrong. But let's not pretend that Jones is this grizzled veteran quarterback that makes all the reads and throws while showing great leadership. Jones still makes terrible reads and throws. I believe that Dobbs is further ahead of where Jones was at this stage of his career. He has much more athleticism, and he adds flexibility of scheme with a higher ceiling IMO.

Anyway....I guess we'll find out what they do soon enough. Maybe they do keep 4 and hope to get a good offer in a trade.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

sorry but this is #FAKENEWS

- - - Updated - - -

Checkdown is his middle name
    I don’t see how the second chart contradicts the first one, making it “Fake News.”

Unless you mean the first chart is ACCURATE but also MISLEADING. Those 19 games or whatever he played in were not all starts. Some games were clean up duty where the other team expected a run and he completed a short pass.

And the last game he DID start was the last regular season game against the winless Browns.

So I agree, statistics can paint an incomplete, and misleading picture.

That said, I’m not sure it’s a case for keeping Dobbs over him. Jones has been okay at what he’s been asked to do.

The question is who makes a better #2 THIS YEAR, where we could still make the playoffs if Ben were out for 4 games and we went 2-2.

Which one of our backups would you want for that 4 game stretch THIS YEAR?

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I don’t see how the second chart contradicts the first one, making it “Fake News.”

Unless you mean the first chart is ACCURATE but also MISLEADING. Those 19 games or whatever he played in were not all starts. Some games were clean up duty where the other team expected a run and he completed a short pass.
    ^ Which is entirely my point; This is what a backup QB does and it's Jones' established record as a backup. This is why the Steelers will keep him on the roster; he can step in at a moment's notice cold with no snaps, use the entire playbook, and not cost us a season. Rudolph and/ or Dobbs are not competing for the role of backup, they are competing for the role of next franchise QB.

Best,
    -Slashy
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Landry Jones's only significant completion this year was a long touchdown pass that he underthrew by 10 or 15 yards to a wide open receiver. Are you really going to use that argument against Dobbs?

I'm not saying that keeping Landry Jones is wrong. But let's not pretend that Jones is this grizzled veteran quarterback that makes all the reads and throws while showing great leadership. Jones still makes terrible reads and throws. I believe that Dobbs is further ahead of where Jones was at this stage of his career. He has much more athleticism, and he adds flexibility of scheme with a higher ceiling IMO.

Anyway....I guess we'll find out what they do soon enough. Maybe they do keep 4 and hope to get a good offer in a trade.
    1st off I am not all that impressed with either one of them and Rudolph is a pure rookie. While the pass by Jones was definitely under thrown and also misplayed by the DB I am not sure it was any worse than the 2 throws that Dobbs had for a TD this week. I will say it is good to know that we have WRs who can make up for what could have been disastrous throws. While I say I am shocked please don't think I will be butt hurt if they don't keep Jones, it's more of how they say he knows the playbook and has the experience than anything I have seen on the field.

All of this just goes to show just how lucky we are to have Ben. Cherish him while you can, because his replacement may be a loooong time coming.

^ Which is entirely my point; This is what a backup QB does and it's Jones' established record as a backup. This is why the Steelers will keep him on the roster; he can step in at a moment's notice cold with no snaps, use the entire playbook, and not cost us a season. Rudolph and/ or Dobbs are not competing for the role of backup, they are competing for the role of next franchise QB.

Best,
    -Slashy
    entering a game with 4 mins left up by 27 points is no way indicative of the player you are nor should that be counted as a win on said players behalf ...hell even in baseball it wouldn't be counted as a save .... just no chance for the opponent to win to many points not near enough time

there is this Mechanic in my small town , he has been a mechanic for 30+ years so he has a ton of experience .

the thing is , he is not a very good mechanic we will call him mechanic (A) , so if given the choice between taking my car to him or a new guy fresh out of tech school who opens up a shop on the other side of town knowing what I know about Mechanic (A) I personally take my car to the new guy and see what kind of service he offers and judge his abilities based on how well the job gets done moving forward ...

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

1st off I am not all that impressed with either one of them and Rudolph is a pure rookie. While the pass by Jones was definitely under thrown and also misplayed by the DB I am not sure it was any worse than the 2 throws that Dobbs had for a TD this week. I will say it is good to know that we have WRs who can make up for what could have been disastrous throws. While I say I am shocked please don't think I will be butt hurt if they don't keep Jones, it's more of how they say he knows the playbook and has the experience than anything I have seen on the field.

All of this just goes to show just how lucky we are to have Ben. Cherish him while you can, because his replacement may be a loooong time coming.

I get what you're saying. I really do.

I don't think either of us will be crushed one way or the other if Jones or Dobbs is released. I'm not even sure what the correct thing to do is. I'm just hoping Dobbs gets a shot because that's who I think is the better choice.

You are 100% right about Ben. When his run is over, we will look back and realize how great he was and how hard it is to win without a guy like that behind center.

there is this Mechanic in my small town , he has been a mechanic for 30+ years so he has a ton of experience .

the thing is , he is not a very good mechanic we will call him mechanic (A) , so if given the choice between taking my car to him or a new guy fresh out of tech school who opens up a shop on the other side of town knowing what I know about Mechanic (A) I personally take my car to the new guy and see what kind of service he offers and judge his abilities based on how well the job gets done moving forward ...
    I remember a couple of QBs who were blessed with athletic ability (Tee Martin and Kordel Stewart). Neither was the QB we wanted them to be, but they sure had a ton of potential. It was truly a shame that Kordel didn't want to convert to a WR.

FWIW I really don't care who we keep of those 2 I am not really sure one will be better than the other. Maybe we keep both, or maybe one gets traded who knows. Experience vs Potential neither is a formula for success over the other IMHO. But at least it is something to watch and see how it all plays out.

I remember a couple of QBs who were blessed with athletic ability (Tee Martin and Kordel Stewart). Neither was the QB we wanted them to be, but they sure had a ton of potential. It was truly a shame that Kordel didn't want to convert to a WR.

FWIW I really don't care who we keep of those 2 I am not really sure one will be better than the other. Maybe we keep both, or maybe one gets traded who knows. Experience vs Potential neither is a formula for success over the other IMHO. But at least it is something to watch and see how it all plays out.
    Martins size was against him ( if memory serves ) and didnt get much of a chance ... Kordell , great athlete but was never and should have never been asked to become a pocket passer because once you take away his best asset as an athlete you where left with and average Joe under center ... If Cowher would have left him play his style of game he may be remembered more fondly .. roll out passes with the ability to run or pass on any given play because his legs where in fact weapons ...

Martins size was against him ( if memory serves ) and didnt get much of a chance ... Kordell , great athlete but was never and should have never been asked to become a pocket passer because once you take away his best asset as an athlete you where left with and average Joe under center ... If Cowher would have left him play his style of game he may be remembered more fondly .. roll out passes with the ability to run or pass on any given play because his legs where in fact weapons ...

I have said the same thing about Ben. Yes it may have extended his career to keep him in the pocket but it took away some of what made him harder to defend.

As for Kordel he did play for 2 other teams and never saw a ton of success, but i never followed him so I don't know if the issue was him being a pocket passer or just damaged goods or just plain over the hill. He did start for da' bears and was a backup for the ravens.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

So Landry is not good.

Not many yards?

His yards per attempt and yards per catch are the same as future Hall of Famer Ben Roethlisberger.

He also has a .600 winning percentage...

Last year he completed 23 of 28 passes and is getting better every year.

So I think it is fair to say he is ALMOST a good backup.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Not many yards?

His yards per attempt and yards per catch are the same as future Hall of Famer Ben Roethlisberger.

Stack up his numbers against Charlie Batch for fun.

I think you will see a quick rush to the defense with the Batch homers/Landry haters.

Not many yards?

I’m sorry but I refuse to include that Jones’s stats in a no pressure game against a winless team. Take that start away and he is 2-2 as a starter. Okay. His yards per attempt were like 9 and then 6.5. Okay. His ratings were 77 and 86.

He’s okay, almost.

He also had better defenses those years. But he’s still probably the safe bet.