Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Dobbs

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Re: Josh Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    He's going to go on "injured" reserve and be the #3 next year.

this would make the most sense a phantom injury... Dobbs will be happy getting active roster pay vs practice squad pay
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

I don't see Dobbs making the squad over Jones, even if he does have a higher ceiling and more talent. The Steelers are pretty risk- averse when it comes to backup QBs, and Jones is a known quantity.

Best,
    -Slashy
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

not " Steelers" but same kind of situation

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    Going with the theory that Rudolph is the #2/starter in waiting and Dobbs is the developmental lottery ticket while Jones moves on?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Going with the theory that Rudolph is the #2/starter in waiting and Dobbs is the developmental lottery ticket while Jones moves on?
    that is my hopes ...

I have no confidence in Jones and feel as if we have a very good chance of LOSING any game he is asked to start ...

with the other two guys I feel like sure it is uncharted water but good things can happen and I have hope for that ...

Jones I just have to pray he completes 8-9 passes and doesn't throw any picks and we run the ball like crazed fools because he wont throw it further than 10 yards ( always checks down ) he skips most of the reads and goes directly to the checkdown .... and if he plays his game to perfection we might not lose , but 1 mistake and its almost a certainty we lose because he can not bring us back from a deficit the way he plays the game ...

I take my chances because in the end I know without Ben at this Juncture who the back up is is really immaterial if we have to play 4 or more games without Ben so why not be developing Potential instead of spending quality snaps on what we already know is not enough in Jones

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Dobbs and Rudolph are the only QB's playing against Green Bay Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    sink or swim .... here is your chance to solidify yourself

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I take my chances because in the end I know without Ben at this Juncture who the back up is is really immaterial if we have to play 4 or more games without Ben so why not be developing Potential instead of spending quality snaps on what we already know is not enough in Jones
    That’s my sentiment, too.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    This tells me that Jones is in, and Dobbs/ Rudolph are being evaluated against each other.
    Best,
    -Slashy
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    It tells me the Steelers know what they have in Jones and want to see if they have something more in Dobbs and Rudolph. If they do, then Jones is out.
    That would be awesome if they could get rid of Jones and maybe even get a high round draft pick for him...

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    It tells me the Steelers know what they have in Jones and want to see if they have something more in Dobbs and Rudolph. If they do, then Jones is out.
    that is exactly what it tells me

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

that is exactly what it tells me
    I agree. Jones has played almost every preseason game AND every game that Ben has been out in the last few years. They don't need to see anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I agree. Jones has played almost every preseason game AND every game that Ben has been out in the last few years. They don't need to see anymore.
    can't polish a turd , but you can polish a diamond in the rough

Dobbs will not go down without a fight , nice night for the kid ... ( one of the few bright spots )

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Two Pick sixes between Dobbs and Rudolph spoil otherwise rather decent nights by both of them.

12-18-192 yards 2tds 1int 29 yards rushing on 5 carries ....

serious question has Jones ever had a stat line that good in the NFL any game preseason /regular season ...EVER ?

rating ? 115.97

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

serious question has Jones ever had a stat line that good in the NFL any game preseason /regular season ...EVER ?

rating ? 115.97
    Last game he played, 8 months ago: 23/27, 239, 1/1 and a WIN -- against actual NFL players (albeit the Browns). The guys Dobbs was playing against last night won't be in the NFL next month.

You can make the argument that Jones sucks and even that the stat line above sucks, but to do so by using Dobbs performance against that crappy level of defense is funny.

Last game he played, 8 months ago: 23/27, 239, 1/1 and a WIN -- against actual NFL players (albeit the Browns). The guys Dobbs was playing against last night won't be in the NFL next month.

You can make the argument that Jones sucks and even that the stat line above sucks, but to do so by using Dobbs performance against that crappy level of defense is funny.

I did qualify it as any game ever in the NFL preseason /reg season .... ( Jones has sucked in many preseason games vs guys out of the league )

for the record that would be a passer rating of 100.46 ....

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

rating ? 115.97
    When Jones was subbed in for Vick in the second half and the Steelers beat Arians & the Cardinals in 2015 his stats were as follows for less than 2 quarters of play

8-12 168 yards 2 TD 0 INT 149.3 rating

http://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=400791621

His performance in week 17 in 2017 against the Browns also was not too shabby (DesertSteel beat me to posting this line)
    23-27 239 yards 1 TD 1 INT 100.5 rating

http://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=400951762

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I did qualify it as any game ever in the NFL preseason /reg season .... ( Jones has sucked in many preseason games vs guys out of the league )

for the record that would be a passer rating of 100.46 ....
    And that sucks?

- - - Updated - - -

Bottom line is that the season is toast if any or all of the three backups are forced into extended action.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

can't polish a turd , but you can polish a diamond in the rough
    Correction - you can definitely polish a turd, you will just get shit all over yourself.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

And that sucks?

- - - Updated - - -

Bottom line is that the season is toast if any or all of the three backups are forced into extended action.
    first statement ... its not as good ...

the bold is 100% #truth
    that is why I would rather keep upside vs a known not good enough

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Correction - you can definitely polish a turd, you will just get shit all over yourself.
    sounds like you are speaking from experience ? haha

I will just have to take your word on this one bro lmao

first statement ... its not as good ...

the bold is 100% #truth
    that is why I would rather keep upside vs a known not good enough

- - - Updated - - -

sounds like you are speaking from experience ? haha

I will just have to take your word on this one bro lmao
    I'd rather keep a safe 1-1 or 2-2 QB on the roster vs. two QBs that have never taken an NFL snap. Jones has proven to be the latter with a record of 3-2. I don't really care if he's #2 or #3 as long as there is some experience in the backup role. Upside can fill the other position but the problem is that there's two of them and Rudolph is likely going to be the guy. They aren't going to cut a guy that they've said had a first round grade. It's a numbers game.

I'd rather keep a safe 1-1 or 2-2 QB on the roster vs. two QBs that have never taken an NFL snap. Jones has proven to be the latter with a record of 3-2. I don't really care if he's #2 or #3 as long as there is some experience in the backup role. Upside can fill the other position but the problem is that there's two of them and Rudolph is likely going to be the guy. They aren't going to cut a guy that they've said had a first round grade. It's a numbers game.

I get what you are saying I really do ... and if I saw even a little more from Jones I would probably be there with you , but I do not so I can not ..

I get what you are saying I really do ... and if I saw even a little more from Jones I would probably be there with you , but I do not so I can not ..
    I hear you... I do think Jones is better than he was and more comfortable in the system. I think the coaching staff feels that way about him too. Maybe Dobbs impresses the next couple games and keeps him as the #2... we'll see. It's not like there won't be an experienced backup available down the road. Other teams find them.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I still like the idea that Dobbs gives you an alternative from a scheme aspect.

He is very athletic, which means he is able to give the RPO looks to defenses while still being able to operate the same offense Ben runs from the pocket. It's something that they can go to more if they choose.

I also disagree with some that are saying that all these quarterbacks are garbage. I think the Steelers have done better with all four QBs on the roster than they did with the turnstile of losers they mostly had for 20-something years between Bradshaw and Ben. They are not getting complete stiffs. All these guys can play a little bit, and in the case of Dobbs and Rudolph, they are very young and should get much better.

I have no idea who they plan on keeping, but I like the idea of Dobbs and Rudolph going forward.

Let's also not forget that these backups aren't playing with AB, Martavis Bryant, Bell, etc... They are going out there and playing with rookies and backups. Jones has gotten a ton of time playing with all the weapons in the game. I would love to see what Dobbs and Rudolph could do with all weapons in place, but that isn't going to happen in preseason.

Is it possible someone is willing to give up a decent draft pick for Jones? I doubt it, but who knows.

This is going to be interesting.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Dobbs has showed promise, he could be a solid backup with continued work. If they cut Dobbs, someone else will snatch him up

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

If Dobbs & Rudolph become 2 & 3 I am fine with that.

However, I am not sure why there is all this hand-wringing about the sky falling if Jones had to play more than 4 games.

He could probably play half the season and we would still have a very good chance of making the playoffs.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant