Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is the Most Hated Steeler of All-Time?

Hybrid View

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Who is the Most Hated Steeler of All-Time?

I was thinking... as my dislike for LeVeon Bell grows by the day, who indeed is the most hated Steeler of all-time? The only criteria is that the player was hated while a Steeler, not after they left.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Re: Who is the Most Hated Steeler of All-Time?

Hines Ward if we're talking about non-Steeler fan hate.

Hate from our own fans though, I'll have to agree with Bell. The attitude, not taking a reasonable offer, the crappy rap songs.

My personal least favorite was Sean Mahan. If there was ever a such thing as a complete waste of roster space, this guy would be it. Ben seemed to get pressure in his face literally 50% of this time when he was our center.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Hines Ward if we're talking about non-Steeler fan hate.
    No!!!! Hate from Steelers fans.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Not sure how any player could be hated by the fans more than Neil O'Donnell. Maybe Antwan Blake?

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Not sure how any player could be hated by the fans more than Neil O'Donnell. Maybe Antwan Blake?
    I thought O'Donnell was a good QB tbh. Other than Ben he was the best Steeler QB I've seen (Wasn't around for Bradshaw days). Though yeah 2 INT's with no receiver in sight, I can understand why the pick though.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Maybe Antwan Blake?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Not sure how any player could be hated by the fans more than Neil O'Donnell.
    100%

I have not spoken (nor written) his name since SuperBowl XXX. You will never convince me that he wasn’t paid off to throw the game.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    100%

I have not spoken (nor written) his name since SuperBowl XXX. You will never convince me that he wasn’t paid off to throw the game.
    Agreed peak O'Donnell hatred was greater, but we only truly hated him as a Steeler for less than the final two quarters of football he played for the Black & Gold.

I went with Kordell because that hatred festered for 5 seasons from the end of the 1997 season through Cowher pulling the plug on his Steelers career during the 2002 season and included multiple hatred spikes including playing horribly in two home AFC championship lossses

Sort of like picking between a player who had one great game as opposed to a player who delivered the goods over multiple seasons.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Agreed peak O'Donnell hatred was greater, but we only truly hated him as a Steeler for less than the final two quarters of football he played for the Black & Gold.

I went with Kordell because that hatred festered for 5 seasons from the end of the 1997 season through Cowher pulling the plug on his Steelers career during the 2002 season and included multiple hatred spikes including playing horribly in two home AFC championship lossses

Sort of like picking between a player who had one great game as opposed to a player who delivered the goods over multiple seasons.
    Kordell Stewart, QB, Pittsburgh Steelers

Face it, Steelers fans. We all love to hate players who fail in our colors. For most, Stewart represented all that was wrong before Ben Roethlisberger rescued the team from quarterback mediocrity.

He was rarely good enough and failed miserably in big spots (every start in the AFC Championship Game) and often made more mistakes than big plays. He had one really good season (2001), but capped it with a terrible performance against New England while playing for the right to go to the Super Bowl.

The X-Factors

The purported kiss with Bill Cowher, his prima donna attitude about playing only quarterback (when he could have won fans' hearts by playing his popular and successful slash role) and his big game failures all combined to make him a hated member of team history.

If you take out his rookie year and his 2001 regular season, there really wasn't much to smile about.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-steelers-fans

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Here’s an analogy:

Kordell was like a bad case of jock itch that went untreated. Annoying, and it just got worse.

The Unnamed One was like being castrated with a chainsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Here’s an analogy:

Kordell was like a bad case of jock itch that went untreated. Annoying, and it just got worse.

The Unnamed One was like being castrated with a chainsaw.
    Neil ODonnell, QB, Pittsburgh Steelers

He had his big chance. If he'd have played well in Super Bowl XXX, he'd be lovingly remembered as the player who led the Steelers to their fifth trophy. Instead, he'll always be the goat.

The irony to his story? He holds the career record for lowest percentage of passes intercepted. Unfortunately, he's an object lesson in how statistics can be totally useless when evaluating a player and how one game can define a career.

The X-Factors

He could have returned to Pittsburgh in 1996 and redeemed himself, but he ran away to New York for big money. Also, the rumors that he purposely threw the Super Bowl will probably haunt him and his legacy in Pittsburgh forever.

He also wasn't the most approachable player, and his long-standing feud with the diva-like Bubby Brister grew old fast.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-steelers-fans

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I was thinking... as my dislike for LeVeon Bell grows by the day, who indeed is the most hated Steeler of all-time? The only criteria is that the player was hated while a Steeler, not after they left.
    Kordell Stewart (the off the field allegations after his play went south starting with the AFC championship loss to Denver were brutal). Crying on the sidelines further stirred up the fan base.

Stewart’s Crying Raises Questions
    https://www.apnews.com/5dc2f3732190a319c6d8a33b51f72761

Pittsburgh has no Kordell Stewart 'transvestite arrest' on record
    https://www.ajc.com/blog/radiotvtalk...Zli0SnOso5ETL/

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Mike Vick, hands down

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Cliff Stoudt

He got pelted by snowballs by Pittsburgh fans during a USFL game.

Neil O'Donnell
    Tommy Maddox (after blowing 2 games in 2005 when Ben was out)

Pretty much every QB between Terry and Ben?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

O'Donnell because he is blamed for losing the SB and then leaving town to take the Jets cash.

Stewart - well I'm not even going to get into that. AtlantaDan already showed how bad it got.

Eric Green drew some hate. Maybe Dwight "Hands of" Stone?

But it will be Bell. Especially if he goes off and has any success elsewhere.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Probably O'Donnell for practically gift-wrapping a Super Bowl to the Cryboys

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Easily Sean Mahan or Mark Malone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Super Bowl Champions Mitch Berger and Paul Ernster

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

sucker punch?

I hated Neil for one game... but I think I'm gonna hate Bell all year.

The thing with Blake is that he was who is was billed to be.

Bam was kind of lovable. Everybody loves a fat running back.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Haven't seen Anthony Smith mentioned. Between laying Hines Ward out in a preseason practice after being specifically told to tone the hitting down and his (in my opinion greatly overblown) "guarantee" of a victory against the Patriots the year they went 18-1, he took quite a bit of flak.

As far as O'Donnell goes, no hatred here. He was a journeyman QB who played like a journeyman QB in SB XXX.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Haven't seen Anthony Smith mentioned. Between laying Hines Ward out in a preseason practice after being specifically told to tone the hitting down and his (in my opinion greatly overblown) "guarantee" of a victory against the Patriots the year they went 18-1, he took quite a bit of flak.
    Not just from the fans

Probably not a good sign when you aggravate Coach LeBeau while drawing praise from Deion Sanders

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Not just from the fans

Probably not a good sign when you aggravate Coach LeBeau while drawing praise from Deion Sanders
    Smith really was a knucklehead. But then, so is Deion.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

The one interception wasn’t ODonnells fault.

Sean Mahan is definitely it for me. He was just a useless load that should’ve never been signed.

Wonder who on this list that we’ve compiled was paid the most by the Steelers?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

https://www.si.com/vault/1984/03/19/...toudt-of-heart

Younger members of the board won't know about Cliff Stoudt. This is as ugly as you can get.

The Pittsburgh Maulers lasted only one season in the USFL and weren't drawing any crowds. The only sellout of the season: the game vs Cliff Stoudt

Josh Scobee has to be my #2. Literally I wanted to troll his social media accounts and I'm not the type that does that lol. Didn't he blow like 2-3 games, and one against the Ravens? Later to find out that AFTER we traded a draft pick for the guy that he was hiding a leg injury?

The guy signed with us literally to take his money and run without any intention of delivering

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    Mike Vick, hands down
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Josh Scobee has to be my #2. Literally I wanted to troll his social media accounts and I'm not the type that does that lol. Didn't he blow like 2-3 games, and one against the Ravens? Later to find out that AFTER we traded a draft pick for the guy that he was hiding a leg injury?

The guy signed with us literally to take his money and run without any intention of delivering

These are my #1 and #2 in that order. My #3 is LeGarrette Blount.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
    These are my #1 and #2 in that order. My #3 is LeGarrette Blount.
    Yes, yes and yes!

I still have smoke coming out of my ears ears thinking about watching Blount playing for the Pats* and getting a ring the same year he quit on us.

And I never, ever liked Mendenhall. Ever. Bell is rapidly working his way to the top of my list. The minute they drafted him and I saw his smug picture, I knew he was going to be a punk.