Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is the Most Hated Steeler of All-Time?

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: Who is the Most Hated Steeler of All-Time?

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post

His early years were good. It was the crippling contract and lack of production that everyone remembers. The front office did make the contract situation worse with all the restructures, that's for sure, but I don't know who's been paid more and delivered less dollar-for-dollar in team history.

It's also an open question how much of Woodley's impressive early career was a result of his own ability, or how much he lucked into it by way of the other four rushers all being Pro Bowl and All-Pro caliber players. When the opponent has to deal with James Harrison, Casey Hampton, Aaron Smith and Brett Kiesel in their prime - not to mention 26-year-old Troy Polamalu turning potentially every defensive formation into a wildcard - it's a lot easier to overlook the sixth guy. When it was on Woodley to create the plays on his own (in Pittsburgh or elsewhere), he got skunked. Leads me to believe he was actually a Tier 2 or Tier 2B player that benefited from having great teammates, and got a Tier 1 contract for it.
    I actually remember the first 5 years of solid production the Steelers got from the former Big-10 Defensive Player of the Year and First Team All-American DE.

At 6'1" , 265LBS and a guy that benched 29 reps and jumped 38" at the Combine, he showed why he was an All American in College and the Steelers were fortunate that it translated to 5 solid seasons in the NFL. So he finally got paid and then injured and as the saying goes...."its tough to be hungry when you are full", so he lingered around the NFL for the next few years.

Maybe I am the minority, but I look at Woodley as a guy that played up to the expectations from his college status. His career wasn't the 10 year success story that most of us would hope to see, but at least he was a "has been" and not a "never was", like the Steelers OLB picks since him. Sure his contract had a big cap # for a guy that was on the fast slide downward, but IMO, the Steelers got good production of him on his rookie deal and I never begrudge another man for earning a good living.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I actually remember the first 5 years of solid production the Steelers got from the former Big-10 Defensive Player of the Year and First Team All-American DE.

At 6'1" , 265LBS and a guy that benched 29 reps and jumped 38" at the Combine, he showed why he was an All American in College and the Steelers were fortunate that it translated to 5 solid seasons in the NFL. So he finally got paid and then injured and as the saying goes...."its tough to be hungry when you are full", so he lingered around the NFL for the next few years.

Maybe I am the minority, but I look at Woodley as a guy that played up to the expectations from his college status. His career wasn't the 10 year success story that most of us would hope to see, but at least he was a "has been" and not a "never was", like the Steelers OLB picks since him. Sure his contract had a big cap # for a guy that was on the fast slide downward, but IMO, the Steelers got good production of him on his rookie deal and I never begrudge another man for earning a good living.

I might add , much of the hate Woodley takes on from the fanbase is not of his own doing , had he not been restructured so many times his contract would not have taken on nearly as much bloat ( team doing not Woodleys) and much of that hate was the huge uncutable cap number that was created by those restructures ... had he not been restructured mutiple times the big $ owed portion of the contract would have expired about the same time his play declined and he would have then been cut and nobody would have been pissed
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    I might add , much of the hate Woodley takes on from the fanbase is not of his own doing , had he not been restructured so many times his contract would not have taken on nearly as much bloat ( team doing not Woodleys) and much of that hate was the huge uncutable cap number that was created by those restructures ... had he not been restructured mutiple times the big $ owed portion of the contract would have expired about the same time his play declined and he would have then been cut and nobody would have been pissed
    did someone force him to eat all that food?

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    did someone force him to eat all that food?

that is a whole other issue
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

that is a whole other issue
    that's why I disliked him, he got even fatter when he went to the Raiders...

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

IMO what turned up the heat on the Woodley hate was after his production went down comments from within the Steelers organization reported he quit training seriously

"He was awful," one teammate said of Woodley's performance last season.

"He tells us he works out, but we didn't see it. He wasn't in shape. That has to be a reason why he was always hurt."

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/r...s/201302170404

During that same time, in his last two seasons Troy's production collapsed and he was often hurt while carrying a big cap number that was not justified by his level of play but you never heard comments from teammates that Troy was dogging it

Junior Member Array title="Mamaduck43 has a brilliant future">

LeGarrette Blount is number one on my list - - - his deceit was so blatant and disgusting that the only fit punishment I can think of for him is that he should be locked in a cage with Vontage Burfict...... But no matter how good he was and might be for the rest of his days, I, too, cannot put a name to the QB of SB XXX..... Just thinking about that game can bring tears to my eyes..... He must have been really hard up for instant payoff money...... Good grief.....

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mamaduck43 View Post
    But no matter how good he was and might be for the rest of his days, I, too, cannot put a name to the QB of SB XXX..... Just thinking about that game can bring tears to my eyes..... He must have been really hard up for instant payoff money...... Good grief.....
    Amen!!!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    If it REALLY turns out O’Donnel was paid off fine. But he had WAY more to gain by winning than getting paid... no matter HOW MUCH some gambler would pay him. Think of the contract he got by BLOWING the Super Bowl. But if he’d been a hero? A payoff MAKES NO SENSE.
    Not just some random bettor. I’m talking about Jerrah himself... for like around $50 million. Jerrah wanted to prove so badly that the Cowboys could win without Jimmy Johnson, that I’m absolutely convinced that Jerrah would have done (paid) just about anything to win that game.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Mamaduck43 View Post
    LeGarrette Blount is number one on my list - - - his deceit was so blatant and disgusting that the only fit punishment I can think of for him is that he should be locked in a cage with Vontage Burfict...... But no matter how good he was and might be for the rest of his days, I, too, cannot put a name to the QB of SB XXX..... Just thinking about that game can bring tears to my eyes..... He must have been really hard up for instant payoff money...... Good grief.....
    Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Not just some random bettor. I’m talking about Jerrah himself... for like around $50 million. Jerrah wanted to prove so badly that the Cowboys could win without Jimmy Johnson, that I’m absolutely convinced that Jerrah would have done (paid) just about anything to win that game.
    Ditto!

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I know conspiracy theories are fun, but it’s REALLY hard to hide $50 million from the IRS and the world. It’s SO risky and stupid for everyone involved... Jerry wouldn’t risk losing the Cowboys over it. That’s his existence!

And millionaires who are about to be bigger millionaires in the FA market just don’t do that. Why so he’ll die just a little richer... IF he never gets caught. Big if.

And a QB trying to lose a game would just be inaccurate all day. Not come really close to winning only to hope they can make the perfect interception that looks SO obvious.

If you had to bet your LIFE one way or the other... you die if you’re wrong, you get a billion dollars if you are right... not ONE of you would really bet on the side of Jerry paying off O’Donnel to throw the game.

Jerry could pat off someone who needs the money more who could turn ball over or not block right or... I can’t believe
    I’m even trying to convince anyone of this.

But fine if proof comes out. Hate him more.

Until then, Blount deserves to die by 100,000 paper cuts!

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I know conspiracy theories are fun, but it’s REALLY hard to hide $50 million from the IRS and the world. It’s SO risky and stupid for everyone involved... Jerry wouldn’t risk losing the Cowboys over it. That’s his existence!

And millionaires who are about to be bigger millionaires in the FA market just don’t do that. Why so he’ll die just a little richer... IF he never gets caught. Big if.

And a QB trying to lose a game would just be inaccurate all day. Not come really close to winning only to hope they can make the perfect interception that looks SO obvious.

If you had to bet your LIFE one way or the other... you die if you’re wrong, you get a billion dollars if you are right... not ONE of you would really bet on the side of Jerry paying off O’Donnel to throw the game.

Jerry could pat off someone who needs the money more who could turn ball over or not block right or... I can’t believe
    I’m even trying to convince anyone of this.

But fine if proof comes out. Hate him more.

Until then, Blount deserves to die by 100,000 paper cuts!
    You see... that risk shows just how much Jerrah hated Jimmy.

#youwillneverconvincemeotherwise

The"concrete cobbler" Array title="cold-hard-steel has a brilliant future"> cold-hard-steel's Avatar

I remember hating Roy Gerelas helmet.
    Two bags are guarenteed to fit all sizes ,or your money back. If you are not completely satisfied call 1-800-GOO-DHELL We show 5 bags to choose from,most problems only need 2 bags .

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

scott shields maybe he is just a disappointment, but man i hated him
    but hands down neil odonnel

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Chad "burnt toast" Scott used to piss me off to no end also. But O'Donnel and Sucker Punch are a slot above Burnt Toast.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cold-hard-steel View Post
    I remember hating Roy Gerelas helmet.
    Gerela's Gorillas would tend to disagree.

But, yeah, it was weird and Gerela was an old fart lucky enough to get some rings because he was horrendous in his last few years in Pittsburgh.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Peezy Porter. What a loudmouth!
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

If we can add coached, Danny Smith is top of the list.

All these names and no one has mentioned a guy that was ragged on and hated and bitched about week after week, play after play and was a very recent guy...where's the hate for Mike Mitchell that we would see on a weekly basis?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Peezy Porter. What a loudmouth!
    Loudmouth but could and would back it up...just ask the Browns, Bengals or Seahawks TE Jerramy Stevens.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Cyphon25 is a name known to all">

- Antowan Blake for being possibly the worst starting CB in NFL history.....that they kept starting each week.
    Fixed that for you. Blake was so bad that year I wanted to fire Tomlin and I am not even a fire Tomlin guy. I just couldn't believe a coach could possibly be that dumb as to keep playing Blake over and over. I remember Kozora over at the Depot would do his Winners and Losers list and would put Blake on the losers list. I would argue up and down that if Blake was on it Tomlin belonged even more because Blake should have never been playing to begin with.

I like Tomlin but I still haven't let that go. I am not sure I could ever be convinced he is a particularly intelligent coach. I think he has good qualities for a coach but smarts isn't near the top of the list. And the main reason I believe that is because of the whole Blake fiasco. It is like Tomlin wanted to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    All these names and no one has mentioned a guy that was ragged on and hated and bitched about week after week, play after play and was a very recent guy...where's the hate for Mike Mitchell that we would see on a weekly basis?
    Loudmouth but could and would back it up...just ask the Browns, Bengals or Seahawks TE Jerramy Stevens.[/QUOTE]

Mitchell definitely goes high up on my list and interesting you mention him in the same post as Porter. The tale of 2 different loudmouths. Porter was one of the few loud individuals I liked and I think most of that came from the fact that he was really good at football and also at beating people up. He backed it up. Mitchell was a bum though. At his peak he might be considered an ok starting safety.
    Last edited by Cyphon25; 08-14-2018 at 01:39 PM.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsdancefloor View Post
    scott shields maybe he is just a disappointment, but man i hated him
    but hands down neil odonnel
    Yes. Scott Shields or Deon Figures. Disappointing... aggravating, but not necessarily "hated". Unless you asked me after a game they we in, but probably not all time.

Probably Blount of the Legarrette variety... Jarvis Jones is really close though.

Senior Member Array title="saturdaysarebetter will become famous soon enough">

O'Donnell

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

I'm sure Deebo is on a lot of fans' s*&^ list, but I personally would love to see him retire officially as a Steeler.

Maybe just me
    -Slashy
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I'm sure Deebo is on a lot of fans' s*&^ list, but I personally would love to see him retire officially as a Steeler.

Maybe just me
    -Slashy
    Temporarily but he's out of football and his stint w/the Cheats was short and a failed effort at another ring.
    I'm already over it. I was mad, yes, but I think most Steeler fans will forget about it in a few years.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Temporarily but he's out of football and his stint w/the Cheats was short and a failed effort at another ring.
    I'm already over it. I was mad, yes, but I think most Steeler fans will forget about it in a few years.
    And remember, he’s already retired a Steeler.

Well yeah... what I mean is I think they should temporarily shuffle Adeniyi, Pay Deebo a dollar to come in for just one day, and officially retire as a Pittsburgh Steeler.

Best,
    -Slashy

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Well yeah... what I mean is I think they should temporarily shuffle Adeniyi, Pay Deebo a dollar to come in for just one day, and officially retire as a Pittsburgh Steeler.

Best,
    -Slashy
    Does this matter practically?

If he ever makes the HOF he’d go in as a Steeler. And the Steelers can always put him in their ring of honor, I assume. Kind of cold that they are ALREADY reassigning his number though. I don’t like that. Maybe eventually you give 92 away, but not the next year.

Just his one play... that PICK/TD run in the Super Bowl alone wins him ELITE Steelers honors in my book.

The"concrete cobbler" Array title="cold-hard-steel has a brilliant future"> cold-hard-steel's Avatar

If Jordan Berry keeps his shit up i'm gonna make sure his name is added to the list.
    Two bags are guarenteed to fit all sizes ,or your money back. If you are not completely satisfied call 1-800-GOO-DHELL We show 5 bags to choose from,most problems only need 2 bags .

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Funny thing is there is no love for the O linemen, even in hating. I thought I would see some mention of Jamain Stephens, Jonathan Scott, Willie Colon or Mike Adams........I guess Mahan trumps them all.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Funny thing is there is no love for the O linemen, even in hating. I thought I would see some mention of Jamain Stephens, Jonathan Scott, Willie Colon or Mike Adams........I guess Mahan trumps them all.
    Yeah, he was pretty bad. Even "Short-armed" Shipley was probably better... and neither as good as Chukky Okobi. :eyeroll:

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    Yeah, he was pretty bad. Even "Short-armed" Shipley was probably better... and neither as good as Chukky Okobi. :eyeroll:
    Shipley’s been the starter for the Cards the two seasons, so he must be doing something right.