Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is the Most Hated Steeler of All-Time?

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Re: Who is the Most Hated Steeler of All-Time?

O'Donnell wins Most Hated MVP with Mahan as runner-up and honorable mention to Limas Sweed.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

leg humper Mendenhall hasn't been mentioned ....
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    Mike Vick, hands down
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Josh Scobee has to be my #2. Literally I wanted to troll his social media accounts and I'm not the type that does that lol. Didn't he blow like 2-3 games, and one against the Ravens? Later to find out that AFTER we traded a draft pick for the guy that he was hiding a leg injury?

The guy signed with us literally to take his money and run without any intention of delivering

These are my #1 and #2 in that order. My #3 is LeGarrette Blount.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    He belongs in the group of 5 or 6 worst Steelers. What an idiot.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Bam Morris, Eric Green, even Tim Worley all had bright moments. Big bird could’ve been a great TE and Bam Morris probably would’ve been Super Bowl MVP had the Steelers pulled a win out in XXX.
    I don't know I think Levon Kirkland would have been MVP. 10 tackles and a sack, dude was all over the field.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Bam Morris, Eric Green, even Tim Worley all had bright moments. Big bird could’ve been a great TE and Bam Morris probably would’ve been Super Bowl MVP had the Steelers pulled a win out in XXX.
    All true. But each guy drugged his way off the team and out of the league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

How did I forget about scobie???

My top 2

2. Scobie
    1. Sucker Punch I know in my heart of hearts that he is the reason for the great divide between Bell and the Steelers. Can't prove it but I know it. Both are also the worst off season pickups of our time.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Back in the Day I can remember a lot of people PISSED at Mike Webster for going to KC
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Back in the Day I can remember a lot of people PISSED at Mike Webster for going to KC
    I totally forgot he went to KC

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Kordell all the way. He cost the Steelers at least 2 SB trips. The Steelers wasted 5+ years on that idiot.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know why. He has to make a living.
    Hater = Realist

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

All of our cornerbacks from the last decade and a half.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Not just from the fans

Probably not a good sign when you aggravate Coach LeBeau while drawing praise from Deion Sanders
    Smith really was a knucklehead. But then, so is Deion.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
    These are my #1 and #2 in that order. My #3 is LeGarrette Blount.
    Yes, yes and yes!

I still have smoke coming out of my ears ears thinking about watching Blount playing for the Pats* and getting a ring the same year he quit on us.

And I never, ever liked Mendenhall. Ever. Bell is rapidly working his way to the top of my list. The minute they drafted him and I saw his smug picture, I knew he was going to be a punk.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

That’s a good one but he at least contributed on field and a nice leg hump gif

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Kordell all the way. He cost the Steelers at least 2 SB trips. The Steelers wasted 5+ years on that idiot.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know why. He has to make a living.
    That falls on Cowher IMO. He should’ve never let him be a full time QB and when he was Slash, there was nothing better...

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

For me it was :
    -Kent Graham, for just being a terrible QB
    -Sean Mahan for being a terrible blocker at Tampa, but the Steelers signed him in FA so he could be terrible in the Burgh. SMH
    -Carey Davis, for being too small to play FB, yet too slow to play RB, but having good hands to catch a 2 yard pass and immediately get tackled. Brutal that he made a roster.
    - Antowan Blake for being possibly the worst starting CB in Steelers history.....that they kept starting each week.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

After considering everyone's worthy nominees..................... (And I'm a fan since the 70's)..................... I'm going with LeVeon Bell. Just don't like him.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Kordell Stewart. You'd think he was the worst QB the Steelers ever had. The fact of the matter is the 90's Steelers were gutten by FA and finally hit the wall and had to rebuild, also Cowher never respected the Quarterback position. However, since Bill Cowher was untouchable (at the time) in the eyes of Pittsburghers, someone had to take the beatdown. It was Kordell. The AFCC meltdowns don't help his case at all.

I'm going to throw some (dishonorables) out there.

The 2008 Steelers Offensive Line. Not just one guy. The entire unit. There was that atrocious game in Philadelphia that year, and could never live that performance down.

Max Starks. Not exactly hated, but more like underappreciated. This is somewhat related to the 2008 O-Line, but he started on the 2005 O-Line as well. Despite winning two rings, the Steelers fanbase never embraced Starks and was increasingly desperate each season to call for the guy to be replaced.

Dennis Dixon. This is warranted though, this guy blew chunks.

Antwan Blake. Couldn't cover worth a damn and couldn't tackle either.

Post 2011-Lamarr Woodley. Got his new contract, got hurt, got fat and got finished. Even though he was good for a bit, Woodley will always be remembered for falling apart after his contract. That's how bad he was.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Antwon Blake for purely the worst performance.

Walter Abercrombie. Like Willie Parker on steroids. Catabolic steroids, not anabolic.

Parker himself. The biggest red herring in team history. Great fantasy football numbers, but singlehandedly killed 100 drives a season.

Lamarr "The Contract" Woodley.

I never got the hate for O'Donell. He was the first halfway decent QB we had under Cowher, but it was painfully obvious that he was ONLY halfway decent. Poor guy caught a lot of shit for what was really just one bad game against a good opponent - but without him, we don't even get to the Super Bowl. If you want to be mad at anyone, be mad at Kordell, who was a big part of the reason we didn't bring O'Donnell back, and wasted multiple years of a badass defense with multiple All-Pro and HOF-caliber players. Even an average quarterback probably wins us either of the AFCCGs he choked away.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

I’ve never really hated any Steeler. There have been plenty that have annoyed me, frustrated me, and pissed me off. There were a number that were underachievers, and some just plain useless, but hated, no, no one gets my hate.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    I’ve never really hated any Steeler. There have been plenty that have annoyed me, frustrated me, and pissed me off. There were a number that were underachievers, and some just plain useless, but hated, no, no one gets my hate.
    It's just a figure of speech.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Antwon Blake for purely the worst performance.

Walter Abercrombie. Like Willie Parker on steroids. Catabolic steroids, not anabolic.

Parker himself. The biggest red herring in team history. Great fantasy football numbers, but singlehandedly killed 100 drives a season.

Lamarr "The Contract" Woodley.

I never got the hate for O'Donell. He was the first halfway decent QB we had under Cowher, but it was painfully obvious that he was ONLY halfway decent. Poor guy caught a lot of shit for what was really just one bad game against a good opponent - but without him, we don't even get to the Super Bowl. If you want to be mad at anyone, be mad at Kordell, who was a big part of the reason we didn't bring O'Donnell back, and wasted multiple years of a badass defense with multiple All-Pro and HOF-caliber players. Even an average quarterback probably wins us either of the AFCCGs he choked away.
    -Blake- I get it.
    -Abercrombie- eh, never lived up to 1st round pick status, but some decent rushing years and more fun saying "Abercrombie" than "Tim Worley"
    - why the Willie Parker hate?...3 consecutive 1200 + yard seasons, Super Bowl TD run. All from a UDFA
    -Woodley, I get the haters because he declined after his big contract, but I never understood why nobody gave him credit for 48 sacks in his first 5 years on a cheap rookie deal??

I still don't get how Steeler fans complain about 2nd round draft pick Lamaar Woodley having 5 good seasons in B&G. I would think most of us would be happy if 1st rounders like Jarvis Jones or Bud Dupree had a first 5 seasons like Woodley had.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I still don't get how Steeler fans complain about 2nd round draft pick Lamaar Woodley having 5 good seasons in B&G. I would think most of us would be happy if 1st rounders like Jarvis Jones or Bud Dupree had a first 5 seasons like Woodley had.
    I'd be happy if they combined to equal Woodley's numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    True Dat!

Jones 4 seasons, the pass rusher had 6 sacks. Dupree's 3 seasons, he has amassed 14.5 sacks. So in 7 combined seasons, the 2 first round picks have 20.5 sacks and Woodley had 48 sacks in 5 seasons. I guess the Jones/Dupree hate is destined to pass Woodley eventually.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

It’s Blount.

I don’t see how it’s a question.

If it REALLY turns out O’Donnel was paid off fine. But he had WAY more to gain by winning than getting paid... no matter HOW MUCH some gambler would pay him. Think of the contract he got by BLOWING the Super Bowl. But if he’d been a hero? A payoff MAKES NO SENSE.

The rest were bad players or whatever, but Blount...

He betrayed the sanctity of the game.

He LEFT THE STADIUM. He Abandoned his team DURING A GAME. I remember Bell getting fed the ball over and over to close out that game... and I was screaming at the tv “BELL COULD GET INJURED! Put in Blount!” But he wasn’t in the stadium.

He should have been BLACKBALLED FROM FOOTBALL FOREVER for that crime!

But his best friend was on the Patriots. You think Blount would have done that without HAVING A LANDING SPOT already figured out? They even did the WINK WINK in front of the press about it!

Why was collusion not investigated???

Who cares about deflated balls??? What Blount did, with an understanding from the Patriots, WAS STRAIGHT EVIL!

How is Bell even CLOSE to this??

Sure, Bell handled the PR badly but he gives his blood sweat and tears to this team YEAR ROUND with the shape he stays in.

He is no locker room cancer. He thinks he’s worth more than you think he’s worth. He’s not under contract so he’s keeping his body safe. I don’t like it, but he’s working within the rules of football and manhood in general.

He never did anything objectively WRONG.

Blount deserves to be in jail for leaving the stadium and possibly getting Bell injured.

He didn’t just quit or hold out... he was our #2 RB and he ABANDONED THE STEELERS, he abandoned the spirit of team sports, and he abandoned being a man.

Of all these players you mention... Blount deserves REVENGE be taken on him. At least the others tried!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Jarvis couldn't even have more sacks than Willie Gay.

Sad.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

-Abercrombie- eh, never lived up to 1st round pick status, but some decent rushing years and more fun saying "Abercrombie" than "Tim Worley"
    Abercrombie was just painful to watch. My memory of him is that at the first hint of contact, he'd turn sideways, then completely backwards and try to push ahead with his back and then fall over. Just ... ineffective and never really gave much hope that he would be effective. Topping out at 800-some rushing yards in a season is not a really great mark, either.

- why the Willie Parker hate?...3 consecutive 1200 + yard seasons, Super Bowl TD run. All from a UDFA
    Like I said, he was the biggest fake-out in Steelers history. He managed to put up impressive stats, but in 60-70% of games, was totally ineffective. And a "bad" Willie Parker game was much, much worse than a bad game from your average running back.

To clarify what I mean, let's say you have two running backs that both manage a 4.0 YPC average. They get there with the following string of rushing attempts:

R1: 4, 5, 3, 0, 10, 3, 3, 6, 0, 6, 4, 5, 3, 5, 1, 6, 9, -2, 5, 6, 3, -1, 8, 8, 2

R2: 1, 0, 1, -1, 19, 0, 1, 1, 0, 12, 0, -1, 2, 22, -3, -1, -1, 40, 0, 0, 4, -1, -1

Well, the first guy was effective as hell, he got first downs, extended drives and got you in scoring position. The second guy killed every single drive he was on the field for, unless the 40-yard run was a touchdown. All the other long runs went for nothing because they were followed by zeroes and ones. A single impressive first down followed by a punt nets you exactly zero points.

That summarizes Willie Parker. He got you one first down every couple of possessions, and then whether or not you scored any points depended entirely on whether or not the quarterback could bail you out of 3rd-and-11 repeatedly. You essentially had no running game. And if the defense at the time hadn't been completely lights-out, getting us great field position, bailing us out of bad field position ... that problem would've been all the more urgent and someone would've noticed and done something about it.

The other thing about Parker that fries me is that it wasn't just his individual runs that followed that pattern; it was entire games. He would have like 190 yards against the Browns, 21 yards on 19 carries against the Ravens, 25 yards on 16 carries against the Chiefs, then 200 yards against the Browns again. I remember breaking it down once, and something like 80% of his yards came against teams with losing records and he averaged about 2 yards a carry against playoff teams. It was a complete joke.

Basically, he got all these impressive stats in "win more" situations and did not do anything to help win games where a good game from him would've made a difference, except for the occasional lucky run. Other teams knew this and the good ones exploited the hell out of us for it. It is no coincidence his career ended immediately after leaving the Steelers, and it had little to do with a broken leg.

His early years were good. It was the crippling contract and lack of production that everyone remembers. The front office did make the contract situation worse with all the restructures, that's for sure, but I don't know who's been paid more and delivered less dollar-for-dollar in team history.

It's also an open question how much of Woodley's impressive early career was a result of his own ability, or how much he lucked into it by way of the other four rushers all being Pro Bowl and All-Pro caliber players. When the opponent has to deal with James Harrison, Casey Hampton, Aaron Smith and Brett Kiesel in their prime - not to mention 26-year-old Troy Polamalu turning potentially every defensive formation into a wildcard - it's a lot easier to overlook the sixth guy. When it was on Woodley to create the plays on his own (in Pittsburgh or elsewhere), he got skunked. Leads me to believe he was actually a Tier 2 or Tier 2B player that benefited from having great teammates, and got a Tier 1 contract for it.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Jarvis couldn't even have more sacks than Willie Gay.

Sad.
    For the record, I hated Jarvis on draft day. I couldn't get past his 4.9 40.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerchad is a jewel in the rough">

In his 2 seasons with the Steelers Limas Sweed never lived up to expectations and was notorious for big drops including a sure TD in the 2008 AFCCG against the Ravens.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

That falls on Cowher IMO. He should’ve never let him be a full time QB and when he was Slash, there was nothing better...