Thread: My 2018 Steeler game-by-game predictions

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

My 2018 Steeler game-by-game predictions

With preseason coming up it is time again to do game-by-game predictions for the Steelers. Last year they got very lucky and won a lot of close games against bad and mediocre teams. That doesn't tend to happen 2 years in a row so they are due for a stepback especially with Ryan Shazier not adequately replaced. Looking at the schedule, they are set up for a fast start proceeded by an ugly skid the 2nd half of the year
    Week 1 @ Browns: I know I may be wrong, but I don't think this game will be as close as last year's games against the Browns. I think the overhyping of the Browns may help the Steelers play to a higher level. Browns are still competive for a time, but this doesn't go down to the wire. Steelers win 30-20 1-0.

Week 2 vs Chiefs: Supposedly Patrick Mahomes is already a franchise QB despite having barely played because he has a big arm. JaMarcus Russell had a big arm, so did Kyle Boller. Having a big arm doesn't mean anything if you can't play the position. Anyway, Steelers still have a firm grip on this series and while Bell likely won't be as dominant because he didn't show up to camp, the Chiefs getting worse on defense after trading Marcus Peters should equate to more TDs, especially at home. Steelers win 27-21 2-0.

Week 3 @ Bucs: This plays out like so many games last year. Steelers play down to inferior opponent, opposing starting QB the Steelers should contain has great game (in this case Ryan Fitzpatrick surpasses 300 yards), however, Big Ben and AB step up in the clutch and come back from 4th quarter defecit and Boswell drills game winning field goal as time expires. Steelers win 26-23 3-0

Week 4 vs Ravens: The last 2 meetings in the Burgh have been shootouts going down to the wire. This is no exception. Big Ben has a field day and AB delivers with another game winning TD. Steelers win 34-30.

Week 5 vs Falcons: I predict at this point Julio has returned to the Falcons and has a few games under his belt at this point. Steelers are flat coming off an emotional win and Matt Ryan and Julio eat the defense alive. Davonta Freeman also has over 100 yards and Calvin Ridley scores his first career TD, from over 50 yards out. Steelers lose 34-21. 4-1

Week 6 Bye: No game still 4-1.

Week 7 vs Browns: After a relatively drama-less first win, the Steelers let themselves in a dogfight the 2nd time around as the Browns hype dies down by now. Browns manage over 150 yards rushing and get over 30 minutes time of possession, but still can't overcome Big Ben, AB, and Bos as Bos delivers another last second field goal winning 23-20. 5-1

Week 8 @ Bengals: Tied at halftime, an Andy Dalton INT is followed by a personal foul against Vontaze Barfass and the Bengals never recover. Steelers win 27-17. 6-1

Week 9 @ Ravens: This is where the Steelers begin to skid. They won last year in B'more 26-9 but what are the odds they win 2 in a row there. Steelers blow a chance to take control of the division at it is Flacco's turn to lead a game winning drive to win. Steelers lose 27-24. 6-2

Week 10 vs Panthers: Panthers are not as good as last year and traveling on a short week benefits the Steelers. Steelers jump out to a lead they never relinquish. Steelers win 30-13. 7-2

Week 11 @ Jaguars: Jaguars are a disappointment this year with a defense regressing and Bortles going full Bortles. However, in a must win game for Jacksonville, we see a repeat of last year's regular season performance, Fournette tops 150 yards, defense suffocates Steelers O and Bortles doesn't have to do anything. Steelers lose 24-6. 7-3

Week 12 @ Broncos: Entering the game, the Broncos are 31st in total and scoring offense and have only scored more than 20 points 1 time. Their O-line leads the league in sacks surrendered and their 32nd rank rushing offense hasn't had a 100 yard rusher and has scored 2 rushing TDs all year. Against Pittsburgh, Denver gets their first 100 yard rusher, surpasses 150 yards, scores 2 rushing TDs in this game alone, and the O-line does not give up a sack all game. On defense Von Miller forces a key turnover and last place Denver wins. Steelers lose 24-21. 7-4

Week 13 vs Chargers: At this point the Chargers have one of the best records in the AFC, Pittsburgh though plays up to the Chargers record and Big Ben, Bell, and AB all have big days while the O-line gives up 1 sack to the team with the most sacks. A 150+ yard day by Keenan Allen is wasted. Steelers win 30-27. 8-4

Week 14 @ Raiders: Steelers suck at playing in Oakland in the 21st century and will come out flat on the road coming off a big home win again. Derek Carr dominates and the Steelers offense amazingly don't dominate against Oakland's putrid defense. Oh and the Raiders get Bryant a TD for good measure. Steelers lose 37-20. 8-5

Week 15 vs Patriots: Might as well play Sonny and Cher's "I Got You Babe" on loop during this game. Brady rips apart the defense and makes Keith Butler look like an idiot, again. Steelers coaches choke on their own shit against New England, again. Steelers lose to the Cheats, again. Steelers lose 38-24. 8-6

Week 16 @ Saints: Winning in the Superdome is impossible when the Saints are good, and the Saints just happen to be fighting for homefield advantage. This game gets ugly as Brees and the Saints rushing duo dominate the defense. Saints win 34-14. 8-7

Week 17 vs Bengals: How weak is the AFC? The Steelers have lost 5 of their last 6 and 6 of their last 8 and they still control their own destiny and can make the playoffs with a win. However, the skid has surprisingly put them behind Baltimore and Baltimore can clinch the AFC North with a win over lowly Cleveland. The Bengals are hyped at the prospects of knocking out the Steelers and play hard, going up 14-7 late in the 3rd quarter. However, AB makes a ridiculous clutch play and the Steelers tie the game as a result. The Steelers then take the lead the next drive after 2 costly penalties by the Bengals. Bengals proceed to drive but Marvin Lewis elects to kick a field goal down by 7 in the red zone with 4 minutes left and the Steelers run out the clock. They clinch the playoff spot but settle for the 6th seed after Baltimore crushes Cleveland. Steelers win 21-17. 9-7

Wildcard @ (3) Texans: Texans have a couple key guys on IR (including JJ Watt) but DeShawn Watson manages to make himself available for the postseason and puts on a show. 2 pass TDs, 2 rush TDs and over 400 total yards. Steelers offense is unable to keep up thanks in part to Ben throwing a pair of costly INTs. Defense is once again humiliated in the postseason. Steelers lose 41-23

I know some will complain that this outlook is overly pessimistic and the defense will be better than I am making them out to be and the team overall will be better than I am making them out to be, but considering that they are playing a lot teams (particularly on the road) that have given them fits, they won a lot of close games against inferior teams (those don't usually break your way that much 2 years in a row), and the defense especially at LB remain a major question mark, I think a season that looks this unimpressive is very much within the realm of possibility

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: My 2018 Steeler game-by-game predictions

I hate to say it, but that seems like s rationale and coldly logical breakdown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

I don't see anyway they lose 6 out of 8

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Good job St33lersguy with the predictions ! Gutsy call to say the least on alot of the games, but I too feel that this year isn't going to be a 'run away' for us. I think that last year's record was way over their talent level. I feel our defense is still going to be an issue since there was really no changes.....so why expect any difference in results ? I believe there were 3/4 wins that could've been easily a loss. THANK YOU BOSWELL ! Again, sometimes being 'lucky' overcomes being 'good'. There's no way I would even try to predict game by game with this team, but a 9 win season probably will win the division. Hopefully it's the Black/Gold !

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

19-0

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Start 6-1 an finish 9-7? Fortunately, not going to happen.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

a bit early considering we have no idea what the final roster will look like , hell all of the final 53 may not even be currently on the team
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    19-0
    SUPERBOWL

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    In 2009, the Steelers went from 6-2 to 6-7
    In 2012, the Steelers went from 6-3 to 7-8

It could happen, I hope it doesn't but it can and has happened, especially considering teams the Steelers struggle with the most are scheduled mainly in the back half of the schedule

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    In 2009, the Steelers went from 6-2 to 6-7
    In 2012, the Steelers went from 6-3 to 7-8

It could happen, I hope it doesn't but it can and has happened, especially considering teams the Steelers struggle with the most are scheduled mainly in the back half of the schedule
    Wasn't that the year they totally crushed the Packers (defending champs) on Monday night, looking like a real contender, only to shit the bed the rest of the season? Probably the most disappointing season ever.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    LOL Sure hope it doesn't happen either my friend, BUT don't do any betting. You have seen our defense....right ?

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Wasn't that the year they totally crushed the Packers (defending champs) on Monday night, looking like a real contender, only to shit the bed the rest of the season? Probably the most disappointing season ever.
    Yes, that was 1998. Ray Sherman was fired mid-season, Beat the Chiefs and Packers (Both Finished 13-3 the previous year), Lost to the Oilers and Bengals Twice, Bettis' infamous Thanksgiving Day gaffe against the Lions, and Kordell Stewart cries on the sideline during a stinker in Tampa Bay.

Started 7-4, and didn't win again the rest of the year. Not a great season for the Steelers.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Yes, that was 1998. Ray Sherman was fired mid-season, Beat the Chiefs and Packers (Both Finished 13-3 the previous year), Lost to the Oilers and Bengals Twice, Bettis' infamous Thanksgiving Day gaffe against the Lions, and Kordell Stewart cries on the sideline during a stinker in Tampa Bay.

Started 7-4, and didn't win again the rest of the year. Not a great season for the Steelers.

Pffft…..A great coach like Cowher would have never let that happen...….Oh wait!

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Pffft…..A great coach like Cowher would have never let that happen...….Oh wait!
    Oh, and the Steelers would finish 6-10 in 1999 as well as miss the playoffs the next two seasons (1999, 2000).

Take me back to a previous time where the Steelers consistently missed the postseason. You have to go back to the 1980's to find a stretch that bad.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post

Bettis' gaffe?

Nope, it was Phil Luckett who FUBARed that one.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Bettis' gaffe?

Nope, it was Phil Luckett who FUBARed that one.

…..and with this shocking revelation, we find that the officials screw something up. That never happens.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

You have it backwards. They always choke early games and start slow then finish strong after we all write them off.

I see 10-6 and a lose in the second round again.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    You have it backwards. They always choke early games and start slow then finish strong after we all write them off.

I see 10-6 and a lose in the second round again.
    The schedule this season is frontloaded with division games (both Browns games, both Ravens games & @ Bengals in first 9 games) and the back end of the schedule games 10 -15 is brutal.

IMO if the Steelers start slow and do not go 4-1 in those division games they will miss the playoffs.

FWIW my preferred options for my annual pilgrimage to Heinz were the Chiefs or Falcons games - I chose Chiefs because like st33lersguy I expect a loss in the Falcons game

Week 1 @ Browns: The Browns are the Browns, but rusty Steelers struggle at bit before winning 20-16.
    Week 2 Chiefs: Chiefs are out for revenge have something to prove against Pittsburgh. Reid plays the clock game to keep the game close, but botches clock management. Steelers win 24-20.
    Week 3 @Bucs : The Annual Letdown game. Ben and the O struggle in the Tampa Bay heat. Bucs running game comes to life. Bucs win 21-17.
    Week 4 Ravens: Typical Steelers-Ravens matchup. Goes down to the wire but Steelers pull it out on a Boswell Field Goal. Steelers win 26-23.
    Week 5 Falcons: After weeks of meh performance. Steelers Offense springs to life and shoots out with Atlanta. Winning 34-31 as Defense makes a rare big stop in Overtime.
    Week 6 @ Bengals: Steelers-Bengals matchups are close, but aren't exactly tough. Steelers D picks Dalton 3 times in a 28-13 win.
    Bye Week.
    Week 8 Browns: Steelers put up a much better showing against the Browns. But it's the Browns. Steelers win 21-9.
    Week 9 @ Ravens: Typical Steelers-Ravens matchup. Steelers are in control for most of second half until Ravens rally on late Flacco Touchdown pass in the final quarter to win 23-19.
    Week 10 Panthers: Offense and Defense gell as Steelers have their most dominant performance of the season. B's go wild. Win 41-20.
    Week 11 @ Jaguars: Jacksonville doesn't live up to expectations in 2018 and drops off in a disappointing season after their Cinderella 2017, but still give Steelers fits. Bortles does nothing but Steelers can't stop Fournette and lose 24-17 in front of a sea of Terrible Towels in Jacksonville (Jaguars bandwagon emptied by this point).
    Week 12 @ Broncos: Steelers return to a house of horrors in Denver. The Broncos are merely mediocre, but thin air sucks the wind out of the Steelers. Defense falls apart in a 27-22 loss. Mike Tomlin goes for and blows a few 2-point attempts.
    Week 13 Chargers: It's this time of the year where the Chargers start making their late season surge. They look scary but nothing the B's can handle. Steelers win 27-17.
    Week 14 @ Raiders: The Raiders are mediocre as the Jon Gruden reunion doesn't go as hoped, but It doesn't matter who the Raiders have at quarterback, or who their head coach is, The Steelers can't win in Oakland. Whatever could possibly go wrong for the Steelers goes wrong in Oakland. This game plays out like all the others as Bell fumbles, Brown gets tipped-intercepted and Ben throws three picks in a 27-21 loss to the Raiders. Derek Carr has one of his best performances of the season.
    Week 15 Patriots: The New England Nightmare returns for another showdown with the Steelers at Heinz. Expectations are rather shot on the Steelers and Tomlin at 8-5 and losing 3 of their last 4, but in typical unpredictable Steelers fashion, they do things you don't expect them do. They WIN this game. Brady and Gronk have another masterful performance, but the B's overcome them late in a 38-30 classic and one of the best games of the 2018 season.
    Week 16 @ Saints: The Playoff Race Pressure is at a fever pitch as the Steelers travel to New Orleans, Another place where the Steelers hardly ever win. Drew Brees is still as sharp as ever as he dissects the Steelers Defense, but high off of last week's thriller, the Steelers win another exciting finish. 37-31 as James Conner seals it with a touchdown run in Overtime. Steelers clinch the AFC North with the Ravens losing a close one in San Diego.
    Week 17 Bengals: The Steelers are surging, the Bengals are once again behind the 8-ball in another Mediocre Marvin season. With little to play for, The Bengals set out to play spoiler and play dirty as usual. Steelers sit their stars come the fourth quarter in a 30-9 blowout.

Final Record: 11-5. Typical Tomlin Steelers season with headscratching performances and ups and downs. Finish #3 in the AFC behind New England and surprising Houston with red-hot Deshaun Watson a rejuvenated J.J Watt, who unanimously wins NFL Comeback Player of the year.

Damn Edman, you got us going 4-0 in our division ? This I gotta see.....hope you're right