Thread: Let's Argue About Bucky Hodges Again!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Let's Argue About Bucky Hodges Again!

I know we have had this conversation before, but now that there isn't a draft pick involved, my feelings on Bucky Hodges have shifted.

I still think he can't and won't block (why he has been on like 5 teams) but I bet he can get open and be a weapon in the NFL. Does he push Xavier Grimble off the roster? PS? Straight to waivers?

This report kinda sums up what I think about Hodges: https://www.thehuddlereport.com/arch...cky.Hodges.htm

"If you think he’s going to be your starting hand in the dirt Tight End I suggest you think again. The kid couldn’t block a 93 year old woman with a walker on black Friday. He lacks the lateral agility and flexible hips to block because of those long legs and long strides. Nevertheless he catches the ball with such ease that quarterbacks will want to marry him. "

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: Let's Argue About Bucky Hodges Again!

I looked at his combine workout and his footwork seems clumsy off the LOS and he doesnt get in and out of breaks well in order to get open. Too thin in the lower body to be an effective blocker as a TE, too big to be a WR that gets open because he doesn't look like he can get in and out of routes well. Good hands and looks like a natural catcher of the football and a long strider, but not that quick out of stance.

I don't seem him getting open in the NFL unless its a high thrown football. Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane IMO.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Isn’t Bucky Hodges the Winter Soldier in Captain America?

I would love to see someone emerge as a Pro-Bowl caliber TE but I’m not holding my breath anytime soon. We have a decent group of TEs that get the job done so if Hodges doesn’t workout, I’m not getting bent...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

he is the fade pattern guy every QB wants in the redzone ....

big with strong hands who can fight for the ball when need be and for those saying he cant get open in the NFL , if thats the case we have bigger problems than we originally thought on def because he is doing well in camp and making contested catches vs our DBs remember this kid runs a sub 4.6 so he is not a Lead Foot Mark Bruener out there ... but that said he couldn't block to save his life so if he is to make the team it will be as a move TE /Big WR and most likely rarely used with exception to redzone area plays ...

they will definitely have to have a plan for him ...

if they keep it it tells me a few things ...

1) they are very comfortable with the young guys on special teams

2) that comfort enables them to let DHB go

3) Hodges fills a TE/WR tweener role

so long odds but not impossible
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

he is the fade pattern guy every QB wants in the redzone ....
    OK, but Jesse James is 6'7" with a 37" vertical leap, so he should be the same kind of great big Redzone target as well.....but isn't.

I agree, long odds but not impossible. Still, he has been with 4 teams in 2 years, so I'm guessing 3 teams already found out that Hodges isn't who they hoped he would be and the Steelers will likely be the 4th.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    OK, but Jesse James is 6'7" with a 37" vertical leap, so he should be the same kind of great big Redzone target as well.....but isn't.

I agree, long odds but not impossible. Still, he has been with 4 teams in 2 years, so I'm guessing 3 teams already found out that Hodges isn't who they hoped he would be and the Steelers will likely be the 4th.
    in fairness this is only his second training camp , pretty daunting task to stick with a team that you didn't have camp to acclimate yourself to ..... still not saying he makes it , just that he has a better chance here than perhaps anywhere else he has had pit stops at other than the Vikes

as for the James comp ... James doesnt run a 4.58 -40 either

as for the James comp ... James doesnt run a 4.58 -40 either
    No, but how often do you ask a TE to run a 40 yard fly route without shoulder pads on? and without a defender hampering his release off the LOS?

The Winter Soldier had a 4.45 second short shuttle time.......James had a 4.50 second time
    Bucky Hodges also had a 12.08 second long shuttle time......James had a 12.15 second time in the long shuttle.

For a long strider with a great 40 time, Hodges doesn't show the short area quickness that is that impressive, or much different than James in order to work between the hash marks in the pass game. And if he wont block then I'm not sure his value to an NFL team.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    No, but how often do you ask a TE to run a 40 yard fly route without shoulder pads on? and without a defender hampering his release off the LOS?

The Winter Soldier had a 4.45 second short shuttle time.......James had a 4.50 second time
    Bucky Hodges also had a 12.08 second long shuttle time......James had a 12.15 second time in the long shuttle.

For a long strider with a great 40 time, Hodges doesn't show the short area quickness that is that impressive, or much different than James in order to work between the hash marks in the pass game. And if he wont block then I'm not sure his value to an NFL team.
    all true , no denying it ... but again its long odds and they will have to have a specific plan for his use based on his ability ( a luxury addition so to speak ) and at this point I am not sure we have a roster spot for a luxury addition unless the things happen I laid out in the post above ...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

2) that comfort enables them to let DHB go
    We've been saying that since they drafted Lynn Swann LOL

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

practice squad

why I won't throw in the towel on a guy who has some elite talent in even 1 area of their game ?

Prior to the 05 nfl draft , Cameron Wake worked out at Penn State's Pro Day and ran a 4.55-second 40-yard dash...

Wake went undrafted and Joined the Giants in April only to be cut in June..

He then signed with the BC Lions and over a 2 year span put up 39 sacks ..

he then signed with Miami and the rest is History ...

is Hodges the TE version of Wake ( I doubt it ) but I am not ready to count him out just yet

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

why I won't throw in the towel on a guy who has some elite talent in even 1 area of their game ?

Prior to the 05 nfl draft , Cameron Wake worked out at Penn State's Pro Day and ran a 4.55-second 40-yard dash...

Wake went undrafted and Joined the Giants in April only to be cut in June..

He then signed with the BC Lions and over a 2 year span put up 39 sacks ..

he then signed with Miami and the rest is History ...

is Hodges the TE version of Wake ( I doubt it ) but I am not ready to count him out just yet
    The problem is that does Hodges have an "elite" skill at the WR position? Because that is what he is. He can not block - at all. So you have to evaluate him versus the WRs. In that light, he doesn't play special teams, so DHB beats him out there. And for the big red zone target, why not just keep Hunter? Hunter runs more of the overall route tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    The problem is that does Hodges have an "elite" skill at the WR position? Because that is what he is. He can not block - at all. So you have to evaluate him versus the WRs. In that light, he doesn't play special teams, so DHB beats him out there. And for the big red zone target, why not just keep Hunter? Hunter runs more of the overall route tree.
    move TE's rarely block other than feeble attempts ...

he is a tweener TE /WR that doesnt block I get it the deck is stacked against him .... TE's that run sub 4.6 is pretty elite IMO , but his hands will have to win him the job ..we shall see ( I am not holding my breath )

move TE's rarely block other than feeble attempts ...

he is a tweener TE /WR that doesnt block I get it the deck is stacked against him .... TE's that run sub 4.6 is pretty elite IMO , but his hands will have to win him the job ..we shall see ( I am not holding my breath )
    Yeah, that is a pretty solid point. But I've read that you can't even play Hodges on run downs or when he might have to kinda-sorta pass protect. For me he isn't a TE/WR, he is just a really large WR.

I have not followed the careers of guys like Graham, Eifert, Kelce, Cook, etc enough to know what they are asked to do in the blocking department, but I feel like it is more than "not at all - ever".

However, didn't what's his name have a ton of stats last year for the Giants not blocking a soul and just running WR routes?

I dunno. I guess I just get tired of watching Steelers TEs fail to seal the edge and get totally overwhelmed at the point of attack.

But at this point we are talking about a 3rd or 4th string guy - so I will root for him and hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Yeah, that is a pretty solid point. But I've read that you can't even play Hodges on run downs or when he might have to kinda-sorta pass protect. For me he isn't a TE/WR, he is just a really large WR.

I have not followed the careers of guys like Graham, Eifert, Kelce, Cook, etc enough to know what they are asked to do in the blocking department, but I feel like it is more than "not at all - ever".

However, didn't what's his name have a ton of stats last year for the Giants not blocking a soul and just running WR routes?

I dunno. I guess I just get tired of watching Steelers TEs fail to seal the edge and get totally overwhelmed at the point of attack.

But at this point we are talking about a 3rd or 4th string guy - so I will root for him and hope for the best.

Engram , yes really good rookie year 64 grabs for over 700 yards and a half dozen scores ..6'3-240 ...4.42 -40 ( so quite a bit faster in shorts )

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Grimble just had surgery on his thumb/wrist.

Mr. Glass-Mcdonald is out.

Does Bucky have a shot? I didn't see him until late in the game vs GB

Senior Member Array title="Cyphon25 is a name known to all">

He definitely needed injuries to have a chance. I remember hearing McKever's name once or twice in the game but honestly can't remember why. If they keep a different TE it doesn't just go to Hodges anyway. It is probably about 50/50 between he and McKever.

As for PS I wonder if they would keep a 2nd TE knowing they have the rugby guy on there already. He doesn't take up a spot but he is a TE.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Once McDonald comes back, this guy is useless. Vance is better than him at EVERYTHING.

This guy is just a body who never needs to leave the PS unless Vance gets injured again. This guy will hopefully never dress in the regular season. We already have a good pass catching TE in VM. If we want a two TE set, we go VM and JJ.

Call him a TE or WR, but it doesn’t matter. There is not one offensive athlete I’d ever have leave the field to put this guy on it. I’m fine with dressing only 2 TES on game day.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Once McDonald comes back, this guy is useless. Vance is better than him at EVERYTHING.

This guy is just a body who never needs to leave the PS unless Vance gets injured again. This guy will hopefully never dress in the regular season. We already have a good pass catching TE in VM. If we want a two TE set, we go VM and JJ.

Call him a TE or WR, but it doesn’t matter. There is not one offensive athlete I’d ever have leave the field to put this guy on it. I’m fine with dressing only 2 TES on game day.

I think people are talking about whether he'll be the third string TE, maybe bumping Grimble from the roster. I don't believe anyone is saying he could be the starter.

McDonald is very good physically. I like his speed, his power, his run after catch, and how hard he plays.

The two things that have been negatives have been his hands and his ability to stay healthy. If he's healthy and his he keeps his drops to a minimum, he's the guy.

Jesse James is a solid #2.