Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaner Roethlisberger seeks another title for Steelers

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Leaner Roethlisberger seeks another title for Steelers

The Associated Press
    July 27, 2018

LATROBE, Pa. (AP) -- A new offseason workout plan has rejuvenated Pittsburgh Steelers' quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

The 36-year-old indicated that he's in the best shape of his career Thursday following the team's first training camp practice at St. Vincent College.

A leaner, trimmer Roethlisberger hopes the additional offseason work can play a part in helping the Steelers to another championship.

''Anything you can do to lighten the load on your knees and ankles, I think is important,'' said Roethlisberger, who worked with a personal trainer and nutritionist to cut sugar and carbohydrates from his diet to get him ready for his 15th season.

''The knees, the ankles, being lighter ... those are all positives when it comes to this age, playing football and a sport where you're pounding on your knees and you've had a couple knee surgeries.''

It could be his last chance to win a championship with two-time All-Pro running back Le'Veon Bell.

to read rest of article:

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports...mpression=true

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Re: Leaner Roethlisberger seeks another title for Steelers

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post

.....said Roethlisberger, who worked with a personal trainer and nutritionist to cut sugar and carbohydrates from his diet to get him ready for his 15th season.
    I can't believe it's been 15 years already
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
    I can't believe it's been 15 years already
    Time comes and goes. Been a fun 15 years, hope this team can deliver another title before the Ben era is done.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Why do people on the wrong side of 35 say they are in the best shape of their lives? What were you doing in your 20's?

I think 26 was my best year.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

OK, but has he been watching any film?

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Why do people on the wrong side of 35 say they are in the best shape of their lives? What were you doing in your 20's?
    Ben may have a valid point on this when considering these photos of Ben in his 20s

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Heck, yeah. I hurt my shoulder a month ago... and now it pops when I move it in certain ways. WTF!?! In my 20’s, it would have completely healed in one freakin’ day.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

What PEOPLE do you mean? Athletes or people in general. My cousin, who has been overweight all his life, at 41 was diagnosed with diabetes, (not an uncommon occurrence). His doctor told him he could control it with diet and exercise, and because he hates needles, he lost 50 pounds and works out 4-5 days a week. So yes he is in the best shape of his life.....I’m sure this isn’t an isolated case. Me on the other hand at 57, wake up every morning wondering what is going to hurt today.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Fat ass.

You can certainly tell it in his face.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Honestly, it looks like he quit drinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

What was I doing in my 20's? Drinking a 6 pack of bud ice every day, but spending 30 mins in the gym lifting weights and thinking just because I had more muscles than average that I was 'healthy'

38 years old- Went vegan, drink occasionally (usually no more than 3 anymore. Built the habit of drinking till tipsy and staying there, rather than chug and get smashed), surfing a lot more,and taking surf trips cause i can afford them now, as opposed to being a broke ass 20 something lol. Got better at cooking so my diet doesn't consist of microwave lasagna, hot pockets, hamburgers, and instant ramen lol.

Basically in a nutshell, eating better, not drinking as much, more active lifestyle = definitely healthier than my 20s haha. Not to mention with age comes better taste in good beers. Drinking craft brews / homebrewing > bud ice / mickeys / old english lmao.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

I had mentioned on SU while up at their training camp with my wife (and dogs!) last summer that Ben looked a bit heavy.

He does look better.

Hopefully Ben, and the offense, are firing on all cylinders coming out of the gate and the defense sucks less!
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    What PEOPLE do you mean? Athletes or people in general. My cousin, who has been overweight all his life, at 41 was diagnosed with diabetes, (not an uncommon occurrence). His doctor told him he could control it with diet and exercise, and because he hates needles, he lost 50 pounds and works out 4-5 days a week. So yes he is in the best shape of his life.....I’m sure this isn’t an isolated case. Me on the other hand at 57, wake up every morning wondering what is going to hurt today.
    Yeah but a professional athlete should be at his best physically in his mid 20s. At 23 I was 6'1', 186lbs, without any visible fat at all. I had just graduated from the Army's Recondo School, and was in great shape long before I got there. There is no way at 35 I could have topped that. At 28 maybe, at 35 no. The body just isn't able to.

Quote Originally Posted by tom444 View Post
    Yeah but a professional athlete should be at his best physically in his mid 20s. At 23 I was 6'1', 186lbs, without any visible fat at all. I had just graduated from the Army's Recondo School, and was in great shape long before I got there. There is no way at 35 I could have topped that. At 28 maybe, at 35 no. The body just isn't able to.
    It depends on the position. A QB doesn't have to be in the same shape as a WR or DB. Ben simply had to be strong physically, have a powerful arm, and enough stamina to escape the pocket and run a few yards, then get back in the huddle and do it again.

That's not the same level of "being in shape" that a WR, RB, or TE needs. In fact, it just might be that Ben's not being in tip-top shape extended his career because he had the extra padding to take some of the hits that were delivered to him over the years.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    and working on being a better leader like Peyton...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Why?

It is obvious that he is carried by AB and Bell.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8504F using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Why?

It is obvious that he is carried by AB and Bell.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8504F using Tapatalk
    Yep, future 212,873,198th ballot hall of famer David Carr says so, it's gotta be true!

Wow. You certainly missed my point. I was referring to the generalization that Dude put forward.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Ben may have a valid point on this when considering these photos of Ben in his 20s

This is still my favorite!

Wow. You certainly missed my point. I was referring to the generalization that Dude put forward.

- - - Updated - - -

This is still my favorite!
    Maybe. This is what Steeldude said: "Why do people on the wrong side of 35 say they are in the best shape of their lives? What were you doing in your 20's?
    I think 26 was my best year." I agree with him 100%. If you're in better shape on the north side of 35 than you were in your 20s, you were really slacking it in your 20s. Athlete, or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    It depends on the position. A QB doesn't have to be in the same shape as a WR or DB. Ben simply had to be strong physically, have a powerful arm, and enough stamina to escape the pocket and run a few yards, then get back in the huddle and do it again.

That's not the same level of "being in shape" that a WR, RB, or TE needs. In fact, it just might be that Ben's not being in tip-top shape extended his career because he had the extra padding to take some of the hits that were delivered to him over the years.
    And it just might be that if he had been in tip-top shape there'd be another Lombardi in Pittsburgh.

Anyway, I'm not really posting about Ben. I'm responding to Steeldude's point, because I always have the same reaction he did.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Honestly, it looks like he quit drinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, he doesn't look bloated.
    All Defense!

We shoulda drafted Russell Wilson a long time ago, maybe he'd have gotten in shape sooner and we'd be talking about getting our 10th super bowl

I kid I kid

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by salamander View Post
    I'm not sure I'd have recognized him at a glance.

Maybe. This is what Steeldude said: "Why do people on the wrong side of 35 say they are in the best shape of their lives? What were you doing in your 20's?
    I think 26 was my best year." I agree with him 100%. If you're in better shape on the north side of 35 than you were in your 20s, you were really slacking it in your 20s. Athlete, or not.
    And.....? I’m saying, they may be in the best shape of their lives. Who is anyone else to judge? Why make an issue of it? If a person feels like their in the best shape of their lives.....why is Dude’s magic number 35 and not 31 or 26 or 23 or 19.........? Is because Ben is 36? Please.

And.....? I’m saying, they may be in the best shape of their lives. Who is anyone else to judge? Why make an issue of it? If a person feels like their in the best shape of their lives.....why is Dude’s magic number 35 and not 31 or 26 or 23 or 19.........? Is because Ben is 36? Please.

Why is "Dude’s magic number 35 and not 31 or 26 or 23 or 19"? Ha ha, ok, so you have no idea what's being talked about. I didn't know that you didn't know the difference between being 23 and being 35. Some day you'll figure it out.

Why is "Dude’s magic number 35 and not 31 or 26 or 23 or 19"? Ha ha, ok, so you have no idea what's being talked about. I didn't know that you didn't know the difference between being 23 and being 35. Some day you'll figure it out.
    ......and some day maybe you will understand my questions.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Heard someone say once that professional sports is race between your peak physical abilities (20's), your ability to play the game well (your 30's), your ability to understand how to specifically tune your body to excel at your best skills (again learned over time), and the inevitable erosion of physical skills.

Put it another way - young and dumb may be rocked up up and lean but older and wiser can shape their body to best suit their needs.