Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: UPDATE: Eli Rogers signs with Steelers

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Former Steelers WR Eli Rogers Has Workout Scheduled With Chiefs

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Nice Danny Farmer reference !! #83 from UCLA.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure he is gonna see some CB that jam at the LOS and there will be a learning curve, but if JW can throw around tractor tires and hay bales most of his life, I think he can learn to defeat a jam and get upfield.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I agree

Big thing that sticks with me is Performance = Ability x Opportunity x Effort. Washington is loaded with ability and Effort, so he will just need the opportunity to excel. Others like Bryant lacked the effort, or Coates lacked the ability. I think the kid is gonna be just what the Steelers need.
    I am not really doubting that Washington can learn, it is just that I will believe it when I see it. So many ways for things to go sideways.

I would add "not stupid" to your equation. I think that Bryant's biggest problem is/was not lack of effort but he isn't clever enough to put together the various parts that go into being a complete NFL WR. As I in I suspect that he barely knows the playbook and has no ability to connect the abstract concepts of # of steps into and out of a break to "doing good on the field" and is assuming that his superior talent will always get him by -- because when has it not?

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

I guess the Chiefs were not brimming with enthusiasm to sign a journeyman slot receiver coming off an ACL tear six months ago

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    I guess the Chiefs were not brimming with enthusiasm to sign a journeyman slot receiver coming off an ACL tear six months ago

???? I thought he'd get 4 years and $55M

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post

prior reports where he was leaving KC and headed to Cleveland .....

we seen this happen before where plan changed at last min and player came to Pittsburgh and he signed .... so my guess is he will be in Steelers camp tomorrow
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    ???? I thought he'd get 4 years and $55M
    They gonna have to pay him 15.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    They gonna have to pay him 15.
    17 he is a #1 punt returner and #2 slot receiver

Per Adam Schefter: Eli Rogers is signing a one-year deal with the #Steelers.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    Per Adam Schefter: Eli Rogers is signing a one-year deal with the #Steelers.
    A chance for him to compete in camp for a spot on the 53. Physically he must not be 100%.

This is why I didn't understand the opinion that the Steelers are better on paper with Rogers in the lineup. He could not even get interest from other teams to join them in their training camp, so he obviously isn't viewed as a top 5WR around the league. Bryant gone and Washington in for him is certainly an upgrade IMO.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I never saw anything special with rogers tbh, but he's decent depth that knows our offense. Good signing

Senior Member Array title="Cyphon25 is a name known to all">

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I never saw anything special with rogers tbh, but he's decent depth that knows our offense. Good signing
    That is because there isn't anything special about his game. However, he offers good depth in the slot and we already know he is capable of starting there as well.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

So, he'll battle Justin Hunter for #4?

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    So, he'll battle Justin Hunter for #4?
    I don't think so because it is 2 different positions. I'd guess the order right now goes:

AB > JuJu > Washington > DHB >= Rogers > Hunter

The wildcard here will be Marcus Tucker I think. If he shows up and does big things he might bump Rogers out. If Washington does what he needs to and becomes the outside starter in 3WR sets that means JuJu is the slot starter and Rogers the primary backup in the slot. DHB and Hunter are both mainly outside guys although DHB can play slot as well.

Hunter is on the outside looking in because he doesn't play ST.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

For a no. 4 wr, hes adequate, and keep in mind, the Steelers (and nfl teams in general) use their no. 4 wr only sparsely. Honestly of all the problems on this team, who plays no. 4 wr is down on the list

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    For a no. 4 wr, hes adequate, and keep in mind, the Steelers (and nfl teams in general) use their no. 4 wr only sparsely. Honestly of all the problems on this team, who plays no. 4 wr is down on the list
    If Vance Mickey D's stays healthy then #4 will rarely see the field.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Even without...Jesse James.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Yes and no. If everyone is healthy for all 16 games, than it won't matter a lick. But if anyone gets hurt, that #4 WR can become important. You can't tell me that Cobi Hamilton and Demarcus Ayers being asked to play a big role didn't hurt that 2016 squads performance just a wee bit?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Yes and no. If everyone is healthy for all 16 games, than it won't matter a lick. But if anyone gets hurt, that #4 WR can become important. You can't tell me that Cobi Hamilton and Demarcus Ayers being asked to play a big role didn't hurt that 2016 squads performance just a wee bit?
    They weren't great but just in a nod of fairness to Hamilton that dude made a lot of big 3rd down receptions and I think he had a game winning TD.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyphon25 View Post
    They weren't great but just in a nod of fairness to Hamilton that dude made a lot of big 3rd down receptions and I think he had a game winning TD.
    Sure. And he also struggled to consistently separate from NFL DBs and he dropped a touchdown in the AFC Championship game.

I realize that squad had other problems and weaknesses, but rolling out a WR corps that featured a ton of inexperience (Hamilton and Coates) caught up with them.

My point being is that if I had a choice between Eli Rogers and Cobi Hamilton or Demarcus Ayers as my 4th WR, is it really even a choice?

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

I'm glad to see Rogers back but not sure I'd pencil him in as the #4 WR. He tore his ACL 6 months ago, and who knows when he will return.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    I'm glad to see Rogers back but not sure I'd pencil him in as the #4 WR. He tore his ACL 6 months ago, and who knows when he will return.
    I currently list him at #7, he needs to show he's fully recovered from his ACL injury first.

if I had a choice between Eli Rogers and Cobi Hamilton or Demarcus Ayers as my 4th WR, is it really even a choice?
    No it is definitely Rogers.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Sure. And he also struggled to consistently separate from NFL DBs and he dropped a touchdown in the AFC Championship game.

I realize that squad had other problems and weaknesses, but rolling out a WR corps that featured a ton of inexperience (Hamilton and Coates) caught up with them.

My point being is that if I had a choice between Eli Rogers and Cobi Hamilton or Demarcus Ayers as my 4th WR, is it really even a choice?

Don't shortchange Cobi. He dropped 3 touchdown passes and a 2-point conversion.

If I didn't know better, I would swear that Belichick had him on the payroll.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Certainly not this week

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Vance McDonald leads all TE in drop percentage since 2013. Jesse James has more receptions in his first 2 pro seasons, than McDonald has in 5 professional seasons. The fact that such an underperforming 3rd round pick is making $4.3 million this year shows that the thing he should not drop is his agent.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Finally... Steeler Nation can breath a sigh of relief!!!

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

It really depends. We don't even know if Rogers can play anymore.

While this is certainly the best way to approach it - give him a look, low risk, possible good insurance/depth of our other options don't work out - it may be more of a longshot than people think.
    See you Space Cowboy ...