Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: James Harrison discusses differences in Pats* & Steelers

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

James Harrison discusses differences in Pats* & Steelers

https://www.foxsports.com/watch/the-...urce=share_url

The video is muted by default, so increase the volume on the viewer.

Communication, communication, communication.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Re: James Harrison discusses differences in Pats* & Steelers

Thanks for posting. Very interesting.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

Two different styles of coaching by both. I have to agree with Deebo, Tomlin needs a better grasp on his team. The Cheats don't have near the talent the Steelers have, yet the cheats are in the running year after year and it starts with their coach.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

This is either Deebo trolling or being oblivious to his behavior in 2017

He was asked by Bayless whether Belichick or Tomlin is the better coach. Without hesitation, Harrison responded “Belichick.”...

Harrison, who retired in April, elaborated that discipline was a key reason for his thinking....

“I think it’s easier if you hold everyone accountable because you don’t have to treat anyone differently because of a certain situation or a certain player,” Harrison said. “It’s a lot easier across the board. It don’t look like you’re playing favorites.”
    Teammates said Harrison slept during meetings before the Steelers release, which came at the tail end of a dispute over playing time.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201807190161

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

The Cheats run a machine and Tomlin runs an artist colony. Tomlin is more concerned about his place in NFL history rather than making history based on performance. It's no coincidence there's so much drama on the Steelers.. It starts with the head coach.

No new information, only confirmation.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

He isn't wrong, and the proof is in the results and the way the teams play.

Bottom line, it was the Patriots playing in the Super Bowl again last season, while the Steelers couldn't beat "10-points-against-Buffalo" Blake Bortles.

We hate hearing it and yet year after year, Shades Tomlin and the Steelers keep proving their critics correct.

Senior Member Array title="Cyphon25 is a name known to all">

Yeah he really isn't saying anything most people don't already think and agree with on some level.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

What a minute!! He is saying some of the exact same things that many posters here say about Tomlin and the overall state of things and those posters get blasted for not knowing what they're talking about... Clearly Harrison is not in the know.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

So exactly what many fans here have said.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Yeah we all know james is giving a 100% unbiased opinion. dude's saltier than a bag of pretzels

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

That being said, the new girlfriend is always way better than the last girlfriend. Especially after a bad breakup.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    We hate hearing it and yet year after year, Shades Tomlin and the Steelers keep proving their critics correct.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Both are great coaches.

My opinion is that after Tomlin won a Super Bowl he seems more concerned about taking the high road and being a class act than winning.

and Belichick's model is ONLY about winning.

Tomlin has done amazingly well for his age/point in his career but again, I do not think he is as intense as he was before winning a Super Bowl.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Does James Harrison want to discuss the differences between himself and a good teammate? That would be a lengthy discussion

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Does James Harrison want to discuss the differences between himself and a good teammate? That would be a lengthy discussion

I think I would rather have 53 James Harrison types ( fierce competitors )

than 53 choir boys all trying to make the other 52 happy ...

James was never accused of being a bad team mate until he had himself been played and lied to to the point where he just didnt give a shit anymore and wanted out ...

in fact quite the opposite is true , young players flocked to work out with him and get better at their craft and get into much better shape ( well documented )

so while we all may hate how James handled the situation , I also think it is safe to say none of us are quite like James ... not sure there has ever been a more fierce competitor that trains as hard for his craft as James has ..

while I was not privy to internal talks Tomlin was on record of saying James was being " saved" ( to be fresh later in the season ) early on so he was lied to and I understand why he was pissed / frustrated etc ... I do not agree with how he handled it but I also wasnt in that situation so who knows if I would have handled it any better ?

I do know however if I spent as much time getting ready to do something as James does to play and I didnt get to do whatever it was I would be HIGHLY pissed ....

all that said I believe he is correct .... head to head Tomlin -BillIcheat further proves that point as IMO Tomlin has had the stronger roster each and every meeting and has still managed to come out on the wrong side of the W column more often than not
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

^^^

What you should say is that Harrison wasn’t a bad teammate until he was benched.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Of course Bill is better than Tomlin, he's the greatest coach ever.

But I don't care to hear the opinion of someone who slept during meetings. Guess we can place Harrison with Bradshaw as former players who has a really nothing positive to say about the team.

Enjoy retirement #92. Also remember not to lay hands on your wife.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    I think I would rather have 53 James Harrison types ( fierce competitors )

than 53 choir boys all trying to make the other 52 happy ...

James was never accused of being a bad team mate until he had himself been played and lied to to the point where he just didnt give a shit anymore and wanted out ...

in fact quite the opposite is true , young players flocked to work out with him and get better at their craft and get into much better shape ( well documented )

so while we all may hate how James handled the situation , I also think it is safe to say none of us are quite like James ... not sure there has ever been a more fierce competitor that trains as hard for his craft as James has ..

while I was not privy to internal talks Tomlin was on record of saying James was being " saved" ( to be fresh later in the season ) early on so he was lied to and I understand why he was pissed / frustrated etc ... I do not agree with how he handled it but I also wasnt in that situation so who knows if I would have handled it any better ?

I do know however if I spent as much time getting ready to do something as James does to play and I didnt get to do whatever it was I would be HIGHLY pissed ....

all that said I believe he is correct .... head to head Tomlin -BillIcheat further proves that point as IMO Tomlin has had the stronger roster each and every meeting and has still managed to come out on the wrong side of the W column more often than not
    I don't care how fierce a competitor he is, he showed his true colors the way he handled the situation. So he wasn't playing in many games, grow up and help the young guys, be a mentor, don't cause needless drama just cause you don't get your way. He takes the C and the L out of class real good

Harrison isn't one of say, my top 10 favorite players but I actually was mostly on his side during the whole meetings/leaving thing. There are certainly better ways to handle things but 99% wouldn't use those ways either if we were in Harrisons position. From what we know the Steelers were giving him the run around and left him rotting on the bench and it was particularly bad when you look at who he had to sit behind in Bud Dupree. So yeah, Harrison shouldn't have been sleeping in meetings but the team also shouldn't have did what they did.

Look at it a different way. If Harrison was considering that his last season and wanted to play it out by playing and the Steelers told him he would be doing just that but lied, they basically had him trapped in a wasted last year of his career. Reports said Harrison asked to be released (tried doing the right thing) and the Steelers wouldn't do it. So he took the only option left to him to try and have a last productive season.

The Steelers were far more at fault than James Harrison and I hold absolutely no grudge against him. I don't hold a grudge against the Steelers either but if you are looking to place blame you shouldn't be looking at James.
    Last edited by Cyphon25; 07-20-2018 at 08:54 AM.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Of course Belicheat is better he cheats and gets away with it on a regular basis. While I love discipline that is just a disguise for what is the real reason for their success. Give us the same advantages they had and we would rip them apart. Shady brady would be average if that team hadn't been allowed to get away with the stunts they have pulled.

I don't blame James for what he did, as Dwins pointed out he was lied to and that's on Tomlin. That being said James it's time to get over it, and remember this is the organization that gave you a chance to shine despite having many reasons to cut you much earlier in your career. I understand the bitterness but it's time to move on. For once disengage your mouth and let the wounds heal.

Screw the cheats and all those who respect them!!!

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

I don't care how fierce a competitor he is, he showed his true colors the way he handled the situation. So he wasn't playing in many games, grow up and help the young guys, be a mentor, don't cause needless drama just cause you don't get your way. He takes the C and the L out of class real good
    And Tomlin showed his inability to coach.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

As I’ve posted in the 300 other James Harrison threads...

Q: Would you have really benched Watt in favor of Harrison?

A: Nope.

(And, before you bring up Dupree, remember that as good as Harrison is, he can’t play OLB from the other side.)

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    Of course Belicheat is better he cheats and gets away with it on a regular basis. While I love discipline that is just a disguise for what is the real reason for their success. Give us the same advantages they had and we would rip them apart. Shady brady would be average if that team hadn't been allowed to get away with the stunts they have pulled.
    Well, you certainly have the right to feel that way, but I hope our coaches don't see it that way. Cheat, don't cheat, better players, worse players, Belichick will beat you anyway you want to play. That's the real message that coaches around the league need to get, digest, and use.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

(And, before you bring up Dupree, remember that as good as Harrison is, he can’t play OLB from the other side.)
    Additionally, Harrison NEVER had a problem with basically the same coaching staff until he didn't get to play. Then suddenly there is no communication and blah blah blah.

However, I do suspect that some of what he said is a bit true. Lebeau was known for the complexity of his defensive play-book and play calls. Butler can't have strayed too far from that.

Looking at these comments -- http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/p...re_better_than

It kinda seems like we are really talking about position coaches on the defensive side of the ball. Don't we all already know that Porter and Lake are below the bar?

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

5 games , 32 snaps ( or whatever the number was ) .... for the guy who was the teams best pass rusher the prior year and was held out of training camp " to save him" say what you will but at the end of the day nobody took his job away ... his job was handed away and he was never allowed to compete for it ... competitors want to compete ..Tomlin lied to him and he had had it .... ever been lied to ? ever said ok screw that guy/girl/job I am done ?

that is what James did .... nothing more , nothing less he checked out of the relationship ...

we do not have to like or agree with how he did it as it was not for us to decide , he wanted out , got out ... he has to live with the hows and wheres not us ... I will lose no sleep over the details nor have I ...

but if you are making the claim James showed his true colors by acting as he did to get out .... then at the same time it is only fair to say Tomlin showed he can not be trusted or held to his word ...

Tomlin said " we are holding James out so he is fresh down the road James is a competitor and he will be ready"

so if we are going to call out 1 for his actions we should also be ready to call out the reason behind the actions as we live in a cause and effect world
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Those weren’t his true colors and you know it. Stop being so butt hurt over him being a baby and leaving. It’s in the past. The guys a fucking legend LB for the Steelers and pretty much won them a Super Bowl...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    That being said, the new girlfriend is always way better than the last girlfriend. Especially after a bad breakup.
    Straight up. After a bad breakup, being single is better than the last girlfriend lol

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

2 things:

1. The best solution would be to flip sides. Put Watt on Duprees side and give Harrison a good portion of Duprees snaps. And in case there is any argument keep in mind that is exactly what they are doing this year to some extent (minus having Harrison in the equation).

2. Even without the flip yes, I would have given Harrison some of Watts snaps. It keeps both guys more fresh and keep in mind Watt started out hot but wasn't exactly blowing up offenses late in the season. Even as we sit here this second Harrison is probably still a better pure pass rusher than Watt.

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

Baring criminal activity the only thing a player owes us as a fan is his play on the field. Harrison balled.