Thread: Edmunds & Allen Should See Linebacker Play

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Edmunds & Allen Should See Linebacker Play

Top to bottom I love our draft.

1. Edmunds is athletic, has pedigree and the versatility to play LB.

2. Washington...playmaker, great ypc, great conditioning, character, work ethic, lunchpail, may stretch the field.

3. Rudolph is arguably a round 1 talent and has great intensity, attitude and can take command.

3. Okorafor - Huge Potential Oline beast and who better to mold him than Munchak?

5. Edmunds is a great value, versatile and can play LB too.

5. Samuels is big, crazy talented, and can play anywhere on offense and great value.

Whole draft, all I see is talent, value, versatility, heart and character.

~Homer

Technically, the Pittsburgh Steelers did not select an inside linebacker during the 2018 NFL Draft. That obviously came as a surprise, considering the fact that the team lost Ryan Shazier for the 2018 season as he continues to recover from spine stabilization surgery. Tyler Matakevich, who is slated to compete for a starting job alongside Vince Williams, underwent shoulder surgery earlier this offseason.

While the team's technically draft an inside linebacker, it was quickly realized that part of the reason why the Steelers drafted rookie safeties Terrell Edmunds and Marcus Allen was the versatility each player displayed during their time at Virginia Tech and Penn State, respectively.

During a recent interview with Steeler Nation Unite, Tomlin confirmed that he expects both Edmunds and Allen to see time at inside linebacker during the 2018 season.

"The awesome thing about both of those guys is that I saw them in package play on their college video, particularly Edmunds," Tomlin said. "He played strong safety, free safety. He played linebacker, some subs packages. I saw similar things from Marcus, particularly at the sub package linebacker level. Their physicality, size and athleticism is gonna provide us a lot of flexibility.

"And I think it’s reasonable to expect those guys -- as they get their feet on the ground relative to their first job which is safety — for them to quickly establish themselves at secondary positions that are somewhat situational. That’s gonna be an exciting part of team development to watch that unfold."

Tomlin was hoping to see a great deal of communication between Edmunds and Allen during the team's rookie minicamp. That's exactly what he got, as Edmunds and Allen did enough to receive some praise from their new coach after working together throughout the weekend.

“The way that you stand out at this juncture is just simply communicating, or willingness to communicate," Tomlin said. "I like to hear a lot pre snap chatter. Both (Edmunds and Allen) are providing that. It shows you a lot of things. It shows that they’re into it, they’re situationally aware. The safety is a communicating position, so that’s a job requirement. It also shows that they’re capable of learning things that we’re presenting to them in the classroom and taking it out to them on the field. So, less evaluating in terms of what they’re doing physically. I like what I hear from them prior to the ball being snapped. It’s an indication of this being a good weekend for them.”

(Continued)

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...ILB-119458363/
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Edmunds & Allen Should See Linebacker Play

I think they pretty much have to. There are more than enough strong safeties on the roster and there is about as much ilb depth on this team as there is Bengal super bowl rings. Allen in particular seems like a guy who is better suited for an ilb role

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I think they pretty much have to. There are more than enough strong safeties on the roster and there is about as much ilb depth on this team as there is Bengal super bowl rings.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Nah, I think dime LB has better options like Burnett who has played that before. first downs we will see ILB's there, not 201 LB safeties. Allen might be nothing more then Chris Wilcox with better special teams tackling. Edmunds is the future at Safety, not the present at ILB.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Nah, I think dime LB has better options like Burnett who has played that before. first downs we will see ILB's there, not 201 LB safeties. Allen might be nothing more then Chris Wilcox with better special teams tackling. Edmunds is the future at Safety, not the present at ILB.
    Marcus Allen is listed at 215 lbs, Terrell Edmunds at 217.

https://www.steelers.com/team/players-roster/

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Marcus Allen is listed at 215 lbs, Terrell Edmunds at 217.

https://www.steelers.com/team/players-roster/
    Thanks, just some dyslexia on my part as I meant to type 210Lbs. I knew neither of those guys was hitting the 220 mark. Statistics aside, just need to look at the guys and see they are not ILB's, just as Ryan Shazier is not a Safety(which so many fans kept proposing a change to safety). Sure in sub packages the Steelers have a lot of guys that can play dime LB, but they cant play LB against the run.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Thanks, just some dyslexia on my part as I meant to type 210Lbs. I knew neither of those guys was hitting the 220 mark. Statistics aside, just need to look at the guys and see they are not ILB's, just as Ryan Shazier is not a Safety(which so many fans kept proposing a change to safety). Sure in sub packages the Steelers have a lot of guys that can play dime LB, but they cant play LB against the run.
    If Allen were 10 pounds heavier, he might have been asked to work out at the combine as a linebacker. I don't know about the technical aspects like stacking and shedding blockers in the box, but his tape clearly shows he can identify the ball carrier and put him on the ground like a solid linebacker would. Honestly, Allen seems like the ultimate 'tweener to me. He is potentially too small to be a full time linebacker and too stiff/slow to be a full time safety. However, it is far too early to make those conclusions. If he can play either bigger or faster, his tackling may help him find the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    If Allen were 10 pounds heavier, he might have been asked to work out at the combine as a linebacker. I don't know about the technical aspects like stacking and shedding blockers in the box, but his tape clearly shows he can identify the ball carrier and put him on the ground like a solid linebacker would. Honestly, Allen seems like the ultimate 'tweener to me. He is potentially too small to be a full time linebacker and too stiff/slow to be a full time safety. However, it is far too early to make those conclusions. If he can play either bigger or faster, his tackling may help him find the field.
    Exactly! Too small to play LB, too slow to play S. He is a core special teamer, a dime LB in sub packages and a reserve safety that plays better in the box than in coverage. Steelers spent a 5th round pick to replace Chris Wilcox IMO.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Exactly! Too small to play LB, too slow to play S. He is a core special teamer, a dime LB in sub packages and a reserve safety that plays better in the box than in coverage. Steelers spent a 5th round pick to replace Chris Wilcox IMO.
    I would be surprised if Allen has a problem putting on 15 lbs.

Look at how Faneca beefed up for the NFL and then lost a ton of weight after retiring.

Senior Member Array title="Neversatisfied has a spectacular aura about">

The run defense of late has been porous to say the least and there has been talk about going to a 4-3, switching sides of linebackers, why Dupree hasn't produced as first anticipated and now this. The Steelers are searching for a solution and it hasn't come easily, recreating the front seven of 10 years ago will be a tall task but a necessary one. Teams have found out where to run on the Steelers and are doing it with relative ease, the coaching staff has their hands full.

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    I would be surprised if Allen has a problem putting on 15 lbs.

Look at how Faneca beefed up for the NFL and then lost a ton of weight after retiring.
    Have you seen what Allen looks like in workouts? He is already pretty muscular in the upper body and looks to have strong quads. I personally don't think he has the frame to put on 15 lbs of muscle and still be athletic. He has the narrow shoulders and frame of a DB, not somebody that would play on the 2nd level IMO.

I am not aware that he has ever played LB or been evaluated as a LB. Again, I think he is a special teamer, a dime LB and a Safety that needs to play close to the LOS and not in coverage.

I am not aware that he has ever played LB or been evaluated as a LB. Again, I think he is a special teamer, a dime LB and a Safety that needs to play close to the LOS and not in coverage.
    I think that's exactly what the Steelers drafted him for...

Which is exactly what his draft profile says.

Yup, special teams mostly. I think we see Morgan Burnett and then Edmunds at the dime LB, but its nice that Allen can play that too.