Thread: JuJu Ranked #9 in Off-man Coverage

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

JuJu Ranked #9 in Off-man Coverage

JuJu Smith-Schuster not only had some of the best numbers among NFL rookie wide receivers last season. He also was among the most productive receivers — rookies and veterans — when facing off-man coverage.

According to Pro Football Focus rankings, Smith-Schuster was the ninth-most productive receiver when going against off-man coverage, earning him honorable-mention status. Under the criteria of WR rating (or passer rating when targeted), Smith-Schuster had a 127.4 mark for 2017.

Here is what Pro Football Focus wrote:

“Smith-Schuster flourished as a rookie. Against off-man coverage, he caught 43-of-53 targets for 493 receiving yards and six scores, tying him for the most touchdowns versus off-man coverage.”

(Continued)

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers...f-man-coverage
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: JuJu Ranked #9 in Off-man Coverage

Many didnt like the JuJu pick, they thought we needed other positions addressed and felt fine with Bryant coming back. The kid showed great hands in college, the ability to catch footballs in the middle of the field and great competitive attitude. He was a solid selection and great bit of succession planning at WR.

The James Washington selection will be very similar IMO. Great hands, great work ethic, ability to get deep and the toughness to work across the middle and also break tackles after the catch. If they all stay healthy, Ben has tons of options to throw the ball to, but we still look a bit lean at TE IMO.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Many didnt like the JuJu pick, they thought we needed other positions addressed and felt fine with Bryant coming back. The kid showed great hands in college, the ability to catch footballs in the middle of the field and great competitive attitude. He was a solid selection and great bit of succession planning at WR.

The James Washington selection will be very similar IMO. Great hands, great work ethic, ability to get deep and the toughness to work across the middle and also break tackles after the catch. If they all stay healthy, Ben has tons of options to throw the ball to, but we still look a bit lean at TE IMO.
    although I'll admit I was surprised at the JuJu pick I wasn't unhappy about it, I've learned never to question the Steelers's selection of a WR.

and I agree about James Washington, I believe he's going to have a very good rookie season.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    although I'll admit I was surprised at the JuJu pick I wasn't unhappy about it, I've learned never to question the Steelers's selection of a WR.

and I agree about James Washington, I believe he's going to have a very good rookie season.
    Agreed.

I always try to see the logic in their picks and definitely saw the upside to the Ju Ju selection.

Just like drafting an offensive lineman in round 3.

They know their needs and weaknesses better than any of us.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post

You are an experienced fan that has learned well. I really didn't want Mason Rudolph, as I thought they might target him in the 1st, but am completely happy he came here with the 3rd round.

As for JuJu, I really thought the Steelers were a quick relapse by Bryant away from having to rely on a "never was" like DHB to be the #2 WR....until JuJu was picked. So pretty pleased he was picked and things unfolded like they did with him.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

If Juju ends up running as the #2 wideout, I'll be interested to see how he adapts to more jams and pressure at the line. Usually the last thing young wideouts become good at. I mean if we can find the data that Jujubee roasts off coverage, you can bet NFL teams have it as well.

My prediction is that Juju adapts and adapts well.

The bigger question to me is if they can hit enough deep balls early in the season to Washington that teams back off and roll a safety the way they did when Bryant was running go routes.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

All good posts, and I agree with all of them. I think that JuJu is going to be ready for more press coverage and is going to out physical those guys. He has a great mentor in AB for his work ethic and his ability to foresee what defenses are going to do to him in subsequent years. I feel like he will pass that intuitiveness on to JuJu. I cannot wait for training camp and preseason, I'm really excited about this new group of rookies.

P.S. I am buzzed posting, so my sentence structure is all effed up. I think y'all know what I'm getting at though.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Very productive last year for a guy who was 20 the bulk of the year and didn't start most of the games. Year 2 in an expanded role, look out

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    All good posts, and I agree with all of them. I think that JuJu is going to be ready for more press coverage and is going to out physical those guys. He has a great mentor in AB for his work ethic and his ability to foresee what defenses are going to do to him in subsequent years. I feel like he will pass that intuitiveness on to JuJu. I cannot wait for training camp and preseason, I'm really excited about this new group of rookies.

P.S. I am buzzed posting, so my sentence structure is all effed up. I think y'all know what I'm getting at though.
    You did well weedhopper.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post

Your sentence structure was "lit", btw.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Going by substance, doesn't this belong in the Le'Veon Bell thread?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Name another team whose top two receivers are equal to AB and JuJu.

Now, name another team whose top two receivers are equal to AB and JuJu... with neither receiver being drafted in R1.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

Now, name another team whose top two receivers are equal to AB and JuJu... with neither receiver being drafted in R1.
    Now, name another team whose top two receivers are recognized by only 2 syllables each.

Now, name another team whose top two receivers looks like someone with obsessive compulsive disorder fixated on the alphabet nicknamed them.

Now, name another team whose top two receivers carries their quarterback . . .

In all honesty, teegre, you're right. Then, when we throw Le'Veon Bell into the mix, it is just silly how talented these team is without a first round draft pick at those three skill positions. If we can just find a TE to go with them at anything close to their level, this offense will be unstoppable.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Now, name another team whose top two receivers are recognized by only 2 syllables each.

Now, name another team whose top two receivers looks like someone with obsessive compulsive disorder fixated on the alphabet nicknamed them.

In all honesty, teegre, you're right. Then, when we throw Le'Veon Bell into the mix, it is just silly how talented these team is without a first round draft pick at those three skill positions. If we can just find a TE to go with them at anything close to their level, this offense will be unstoppable.
    Coaches and Colbert finally got it. First round QB, high round O-Linemen and the best O-Line coach in the business. That’s where it all starts. When was the last time we had a “this O-line sucks” thread? We have also been great about replacing WRs. It’s going to be really tough to replace a guy like Heath....I’m sorry to say. He could catch, block, was a really smart player and was a quiet leader. Couldn’t ask for more from your TE.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

This post is great.

bolded part is for @Shoes

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

JuJu Ranked #9 in Off-man Coverage

I think a case may be able to be made for Cleveland. Weren’t Landry and Gordon 2nd round picks? Based on talent alone...once you throw the mess these guys have played with, production gets a bit tough...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I think a case may be able to be made for Cleveland. Weren’t Landry and Gordon 2nd round picks? Based on talent alone...once you throw the mess these guys have played with, production gets a bit tough...lol.
    That’s pretty good, because Landry was a R2 pick and Gordon was a supplemental pick. That said, the biggest obstacle was not QB (which was indeed an obstacle), but rather Gordon’s propensity to get suspended.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

That’s pretty good, because Landry was a R2 pick and Gordon was a supplemental pick. That said, the biggest obstacle was not QB (which was indeed an obstacle), but rather Gordon’s propensity to get suspended.
    Yeah, I included that in “the mess” part of my statement but other than that pair, I don’t think there is a formidable combination. Packers had one in Cobb and Nelson maybe? I don’t think they were first rounders?

I just hope JuJu can continue to grow and progress and doesn’t take a step backwards as some “sophomores” tend to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler