Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Le'Veon Bell has 'confidence' he will sign deal with Steelers

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Le'Veon Bell has 'confidence' he will sign deal with Steelers

Le'Veon Bell has 'confidence' he will sign deal with Steelers

JOE RUTTER | Monday, June 25, 201

Three weeks before the deadline to sign a long-term contract with the Steelers, running back Le'Veon Bell is optimistic the two sides will come to terms on a deal.

If the Steelers and Bell do not agree to a deal by July 16, he must play the 2018 season under the terms of the $14.55 million franchise tender the team applied to him in March. It almost certainly would be his final season with the Steelers.

“We're a lot closer than we were last year at this time,” Bell said Monday night on NFL Network. “That's what I'm happy about. None of that matters if we don't get it done. Hopefully, we'll try to get something done. That's what I'm looking forward to. I've got confidence we'll get it done.

“I want to do it.”

to read rest of article:

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...ers%20Stories)

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Le'Veon Bell has 'confidence' he will sign deal with Steelers

I really do not understand how contract "negotiations" can drag on for months at a time like this. If all parties involved really wanted to get it done, it is not too difficult to just set aside a day to get everyone in a room together for as long as it takes to hammer out a deal.

Unless the two sides just have totally incompatible expectations. The longer the process drags out, the more it looks like that is the reason for it, and we're well into our second year of dragging it out.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Well then just get it done. I'm sick and tired of hearing about it already.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
    Well then just get it done. I'm sick and tired of hearing about it already.
    yeah no kidding, that pretty much sums up how I feel also.

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I really do not understand how contract "negotiations" can drag on for months at a time like this. If all parties involved really wanted to get it done, it is not too difficult to just set aside a day to get everyone in a room together for as long as it takes to hammer out a deal.

Unless the two sides just have totally incompatible expectations. The longer the process drags out, the more it looks like that is the reason for it, and we're well into our second year of dragging it out.
    You're thinking about two parties that have nothing else to do but sit down and negotiate a contract. Bell's agent represents probably dozens of players at least. I wouldn't be surprised if he devotes less than an hour a week to Bell and the Steelers when it comes to contracts. Only in the final stages of negotiation can I see it going higher than that. Of course, once they receive an off, then, in some cases, it goes off to a lawyer to read and review, then highlight and suggest. That would come back to the agent who would do the same thing. Then, it'd go out to Bell who would also do the same thing. Once that's all done, they have to agree on it, which with all their schedules, may take a month or more. Then, the response gets sent to the team, who goes through the same thing. Cap figures are figured, reviews happen, items discussed, and that is around everything else that the principals involved are deal with. Figure that takes two or three week. Then it gets sent back to the player, and it starts all over gain.

Granted, as they get closer and closer, the time period gets shorter between turnaround, except I imagine the Steelers office putting most of it on hold during OTAs so they can focus on other things, including signing the draft picks. On top of that are stalling tactics on both sides which are common contract ploys, legitimate stalls like not being able to contact an agent or player because they are in the midst of a final push signing another player to a team or vacation or family emergency or the player is focused on training and misses calls until late night and they play phone tag or . . .

So, I understand how it can drag on. "Really wanting to get it done" doesn't erase calendars and the vast amount of other work the agents put in with other players or the front office puts in on all sides of the work they do.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I don't

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

I'll believe it when I see it.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Yawn, wake me up when a deal actually gets done

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Deals like this can get done in several hours over a period of weeks at the most if both parties are committed. No doubt the Steelers are committed based on their past behavior. They still need to work within a budget.

I think if they sweetened it up their previous offer just a bit with a token increase somewhere it could get done. If a long term deal is done, maybe the weed juice is finally leaving Bell's brain. My money is him getting tagged which would be a dumb move, but within character.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    You're thinking about two parties that have nothing else to do but sit down and negotiate a contract. Bell's agent represents probably dozens of players at least. I wouldn't be surprised if he devotes less than an hour a week to Bell and the Steelers when it comes to contracts. Only in the final stages of negotiation can I see it going higher than that. Of course, once they receive an off, then, in some cases, it goes off to a lawyer to read and review, then highlight and suggest. That would come back to the agent who would do the same thing. Then, it'd go out to Bell who would also do the same thing. Once that's all done, they have to agree on it, which with all their schedules, may take a month or more. Then, the response gets sent to the team, who goes through the same thing. Cap figures are figured, reviews happen, items discussed, and that is around everything else that the principals involved are deal with. Figure that takes two or three week. Then it gets sent back to the player, and it starts all over gain.

Granted, as they get closer and closer, the time period gets shorter between turnaround, except I imagine the Steelers office putting most of it on hold during OTAs so they can focus on other things, including signing the draft picks. On top of that are stalling tactics on both sides which are common contract ploys, legitimate stalls like not being able to contact an agent or player because they are in the midst of a final push signing another player to a team or vacation or family emergency or the player is focused on training and misses calls until late night and they play phone tag or . . .

So, I understand how it can drag on. "Really wanting to get it done" doesn't erase calendars and the vast amount of other work the agents put in with other players or the front office puts in on all sides of the work they do.
    One would think the essential part of the process, which is also the most important, would go rather quickly if both sides are serious about it:

1. Communicate your offer to the player/agent, or counteroffer from the player/agent back to the team;

2. Are they happy with the dollar amount, length, guaranteed money? (yes/no);

3. If yes, start going through the details and the legal bullshit; if no, go back to step 1 and repeat.

I mean, you can cycle through that part in 10 minutes a pass, and do it by text message if you want. Then the rest would maybe be more involved work that could take a few days, but probably would go pretty quickly given the incentive on everyone's part to get it finalized. One would imagine both the team and the player have figures in mind that they are comfortable with going in to step 1. So if that part is what's taking forever, it suggests one or both of them is way outside the other's range.

Maybe one side or the other changes their mind over the course of months as the deadline starts looming, but to me that's a pretty tenuous hope to hold on to.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

More than 1 year at a well above market rate is too risky imo.

I think our offense is so stacked we could make it fine without Bell.

Sorry.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Carolina Steelers has a spectacular aura about"> Carolina Steelers's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post

Sorry.
    I hear what you’re saying but our offense is staked because we have Bell. Love AB and what he brings he may touch ball 8-10 times a game, Bell May touch it 25-30 and is a serious blocker for Ben in the passing game. I get it 14.5 million is a lot of money for a RB but I’m hopeful the 2 sides can come to some kind of agreement. I believe Bell had at least 3 more seasons at the level he’s been playing at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post

Sorry.
    But it’s far from stacked. Without Bell, you have AB and then JuJu. We don’t know that JuJu wasn’t a one hit wonder...not yet at least. Then what is there? James, McDonald, Ridley, Connor?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    But it’s far from stacked. Without Bell, you have AB and then JuJu. We don’t know that JuJu wasn’t a one hit wonder...not yet at least. Then what is there? James, McDonald, Ridley, Connor?
    You have Ben, and a very good offensive line. Really TE is the only question mark, and it might even be a strength if McDonald can stay healthy. Washington may be great insurance for the WR position. Overall, the offense is in about as good of shape as you can get.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Who does Tom Brady have? Gronk. And they won it all without him. Ben is top 5 and should be able to make mid rounders look like Pro Bowlers.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Ben is not Tom Brady, AKA The Greatest QB Ever. Could you imagine what Brady would do if he had Bell and AB? my god.

Ben has the weapons and we've been constant playoff pretenders.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Ben is not Tom Brady, AKA The Greatest QB Ever. Could you imagine what Brady would do if he had Bell and AB? my god.
    I'm guessing ... lose in the Super Bowl?

Not to derail this thread into another Tom Brady discussion - but it's the system, not the man. That is all I am going to say about it, to hopefully avoid doing exactly that.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

I'm guessing ... lose in the Super Bowl?

Not to derail this thread into another Tom Brady discussion - but it's the system, not the man. That is all I am going to say about it, to hopefully avoid doing exactly that.

Well yeah, but how many of those count? One or two?
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Well yeah, but how many of those count? One or two?
    Uh, every one of them....

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Funny that you’re BlackAndGold when you sound like a Brady homer.

lol, no.

As far as I'm concerned, he's still behind Dan Marino for the title of "best quarterback who never won a Super Bowl." I guess he can keep the losses, though.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

No doubt Brady is great (although having been the losing QB in 3 Super Bowls does not compare well to Joe Montana's 4-0 record)

What if he had the 2017 Steelers defense and did not have Belichick as his head coach?

Just as Belichick's accomplishments have to take having Brady into account (which IMO is why Joe Gibbs is an underrated HC for having won three Lombardis with three different journeymen QBs), Brady has not been making tackles or assembling the roster for the other 21 starters.

Without Belichick Brady might be Dan Marino or Dan Fouts - lights out offense but brought down by trash defenses

A QB's accomplishments need to take into account the rest of the team (a legitimate reason Bradshaw is not in the discussion for top 5 QBs of all time)

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

When Brady had Randy Moss, they put up record numbers... and lost the SuperBowl.

SUMMATION:
    It appears, that for the ataperiots, it’s better to simply keep the game close, and either steal an interception (Rams) or have the opposing coach brain fart at the absolute worst time (Seahawks, Falcons).

NOTE: Is anyone else having a really difficult time posting recently? For the past two months, every time I try to scroll, the screen flashes and re-centers. When I refresh, I lose what I’ve typed. Frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Funny that you’re BlackAndGold when you sound like a Brady homer.
    It's respecting greatness. Just because he kicks our asses all the time doesn't mean you can start discrediting him.

- - - Updated - - -

lol, no.

As far as I'm concerned, he's still behind Dan Marino for the title of "best quarterback who never won a Super Bowl." I guess he can keep the losses, though.
    Hahaha, doesn't work like that.

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-...act-of-spygate

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    No doubt Brady is great (although having been the losing QB in 3 Super Bowls does not compare well to Joe Montana's 4-0 record)

What if he had the 2017 Steelers defense and did not have Belichick as his head coach?

Just as Belichick's accomplishments have to take having Brady into account (which IMO is why Joe Gibbs is an underrated HC for having won three Lombardis with three different journeymen QBs), Brady has not been making tackles or assembling the roster for the other 21 starters.

Without Belichick Brady might be Dan Marino or Dan Fouts - lights out offense but brought down by trash defenses

A QB's accomplishments need to take into account the rest of the team (a legitimate reason Bradshaw is not in the discussion for top 5 QBs of all time)
    5-3 Super Bowl record >>>> 4-0 Super Bowl record

Belichick did nothing until Brady came along.

In 2016 the Pats won the Super Bowl with the 25th ranked defense.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

5-3 Super Bowl record >>>> 4-0 Super Bowl record
    I agree with everything you said, right up until this. One additional win doesn’t negate three losses.

I'm fairly certain they're still using the QB helmet-radio trick, which it doesn't seem like was ever followed up on after it was outed, and would make a pretty big difference.

You know how all those times in the NCAA, they've found a program broke some rule or other and they ended up having to forfeit a championship, along with all the wins from a season(s)? That's pretty much what we're talking about here. You don't get docked first-round draft picks and have players/coaches fined and suspended for cheating if you weren't doing someting blatantly wrong. Multiple times. Over the course of many years. Probably worse than a lot of other organizations that have been busted for cheating and faced far worse consequences, plus it never stopped.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I agree with everything you said, right up until this. One additional win doesn’t negate three losses.
    He lead his team to 8 Super Bowls. and is over .500 in doing so. I mean the Steelers are one of the greatest franchises in sports, and they've only been to 8 super bowls in their history. 4 of them of course were in the 70's.

This isn't like comparing NBA Finals record between Michael Jordan(6-0) to LeBron James(3-6). Again, Brady has more super bowl wins than losses.
    - - - Updated - - -

Last edited by BlackAndGold; 06-29-2018 at 04:45 PM.

He lead his team to 8 Super Bowls. and is over .500 in doing so. I mean the Steelers are one of the greatest franchises in sports, and they've only been to 8 super bowls in their history. 4 of them of course were in the 70's.

This isn't like comparing NBA Finals record between Michael Jordan(6-0) to LeBron James(3-6). Again, Brady has more super bowl wins than losses.
    - - - Updated - - -

I realize that 5+3=8. Further, I never said that Montana was a greater QB than Brady. But... when it comes to W/L records, 4-0 is better than 5-3. And, it really is similar to Jordan v. Lebron.

As for your video, I can't say that I watched it given the title. "The Patriots Never Cheated." If you believe that, I'm not really sure how objective you are. The cheating is a matter of public record. They've been caught red-handed and penalized (lightly). I'm not like the guy here who says Brady has never won a Super Bowl, but c'mon... to deny that they ever cheated???

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I realize that 5+3=8. Further, I never said that Montana was a greater QB than Brady. But... when it comes to W/L records, 4-0 is better than 5-3. And, it really is similar to Jordan v. Lebron.

As for your video, I can't say that I watched it given the title. "The Patriots Never Cheated." If you believe that, I'm not really sure how objective you are. The cheating is a matter of public record. They've been caught red-handed and penalized (lightly). I'm not like the guy here who says Brady has never won a Super Bowl, but c'mon... to deny that they ever cheated???
    4-0 and not better than 5-3. Sorry just because it looks better doesn't make it better.

Just watch the video, I use to be in denial also.