Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Le'Veon Bell has 'confidence' he will sign deal with Steelers

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Le'Veon Bell has 'confidence' he will sign deal with Steelers

Guess there’s no chance of getting this thread back on topic.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    As a fan or as a player? As a fan, I hate it when the Steelers lose in the Super Bowl. I'd rather for them not to have made it. As a player, it's tough to say. Getting trounced doesn't do much for the legacy. I'd lean towards 2-1.
    Psychologically speaking, humans focus an inordinate amount of their attention on “loss.” There was a study done, when people were given two options (I don’t recall the exact parameters, but this is the gist):

a) A week in Hawaii, snorkeling every day, luaus every night... but, you lose $100 from your wallet each morning.

B) A week in Hawaii, no snorkeling, take-out every night... but, you only lose $25 from your wallet each morning.

The vast majority of people people focus on the loss of $700 with little-to-no acknowledgment of the complete & utter difference about the other parts of the vacation. Why? People obsess over “loss”.

Now, specifically about John Elway: he is a different example, because his three losses were blowouts. So, yes, those types of losses do change the feeling about the loss. But, when talking about Tom Brady, none of his losses were blowouts.

Now... are Elway’s three (blowout) losses better than Ben’s one (close) loss? That’s debatable.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Sorry, but 5 Super Bowls is better than 4. Winning the Super Bowl is the ultimate goal, not not losing the Super Bowl

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Oh I thought every thread on the board was supposed to start off talking about Bell’s contract and then on the second page we were allowed to introduce other subjects. Is there a special sub forum for non-Bell topics?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and there’s that one other thing... Montana was never caught cheating. Don’t get me wrong, Brady > Montana career. But Montana’s super bowl record > Brady’s. That’s my opinion. You can keep yours.

Montana was never caught cheating. Don’t get me wrong, Brady > Montana career. But Montana’s super bowl record > Brady’s.
    This. Brady's record is tainted. Period. Whether he had anything to do with it or not, it doesn't matter. And here, I'm not even talking about the football deflate issues, although, that adds more credibility to the argument that it is tainted.

Here's the real question. Would he have been as good of a QB had he not had his learning curve severely flattened by the coaches being able to tell him what was coming and where to throw? Who knows? Every NFL QB has the tools to be a decent QB. The question is whether they will adjust between the ears. When you learning curve is severely flattened and you don't have to deal with all the other issues that come along with that (again, see Rick Mirer), life gets much easier in the NFL.

And yes, I specifically chose Rick Mirer because he had both the skillset and the intelligence. However, he had a horrible line that couldn't protect him and not much else to really help him. So, he failed. Horribly. His learning curve steepened considerably, and he began to learn bad habits, which caused everything to go south even faster. Brady had the skillset and intelligence. He also had a coach that through underhanded means, could tell him what defenses were coming and what to expect. The result was an O line that could protect better and a QB that just had to worry about throwing to the hot receiver or to such-and-such space without any other concern. Just count to two and release the ball.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Oh I thought every thread on the board was supposed to start off talking about Bell’s contract and then on the second page we were allowed to introduce other subjects. Is there a special sub forum for non-Bell topics?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and there’s that one other thing... Montana was never caught cheating. Don’t get me wrong, Brady > Montana career. But Montana’s super bowl record > Brady’s. That’s my opinion. You can keep yours.
    All threads are to become Bell threads.
    All Bell threads are to be derailed.

SUMMATION:
    Eventually all threads get derailed.

5-3 > 4-0 (IMO)

But, I agree that Brady gets an asterisk for each of the first three because of SpyGate. And, honestly, if not for the “Dan Quinn jinx factor”, he wouldn’t have the last two, either.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    All threads are to become Bell threads.
    All Bell threads are to be derailed.

SUMMATION:
    Eventually all threads get derailed

Sort of like the days when every thread turned in to “the O-line sucks” thread.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

But, I agree that Brady gets an asterisk for each of the first three because of SpyGate. And, honestly, if not for the “Dan Quinn jinx factor”, he wouldn’t have the last two, either.
    You don't think they were still cheating after the first three? It's pretty clear from the past couple that they are still using the helmet radio trick.

Fall behind -> turn on radio -> suddenly everyone's wide open for the rest of the game. It was nice that they lost the last one in spite of obviously having an assist.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    You don't think they were still cheating after the first three? It's pretty clear from the past couple that they are still using the helmet radio trick.

Fall behind -> turn on radio -> suddenly everyone's wide open for the rest of the game. It was nice that they lost the last one in spite of obviously having an assist.
    Yep. I've never seen convincing evidence that the "gamesmanship" bullshit ever ceased.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Since this thread has already been derailed by Tom Brady discussion, might as well derail it further with more Brady stuff

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Oh, I still think that Belichick “skirts” the rules, but he no longer out-&-out cheats.

I am 100% confident that he taped the Rams first 15 plays (which the Rams had scripted & practiced prior to the SuperBowl). Kurt Warner has averred that Ty Law jumped the route before the receiver ever broke on the ball (in Kurt’s words): “...as if Ty Law knew that play was coming.”

Currently, there is a litany of miscues that only seem to occur at Gillette Stadium, such as the opposing team’s headsets not working, the time clocks malfunctioning, balls getting deflated, et cetera.

Here’s an analogy:
    The 2001-2007 Taperiots were full-fledged alcoholics. They were starting their day with a fifth of Jack, followed by a bottomless glass of Glen (take your pick) throughout the rest of the day. Then, a major “event” occurred at a family function, and Uncle Tapey “gave up” drinking. NOTE: No one knows exactly what happened at this family function, because Grampy Goodell burned the tapes.

Currently, Uncle Tapey no longer embibes... but, every so often, he “accidentally” orders a shot or two. He always blames it on the waitress for bringing him the “wrong” drink... but, that doesn’t stop him from drinking it when it’s in front of him.

SUMMATION:
    I would never allow Uncle Tapey to drive a car.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Oh, I still think that Belichick “skirts” the rules, but he no longer out-&-out cheats.

I am 100% confident that he taped the Rams first 15 plays (which the Rams had scripted & practiced prior to the SuperBowl). Kurt Warner has averred that Ty Law jumped the route before the receiver ever broke on the ball (in Kurt’s words): “...as if Ty Law knew that play was coming.”

Currently, there is a litany of miscues that only seem to occur at Gillette Stadium, such as the opposing team’s headsets not working, the time clocks malfunctioning, balls getting deflated, et cetera.

Here’s an analogy:
    The 2001-2007 Taperiots were full-fledged alcoholics. They were starting their day with a fifth of Jack, followed by a bottomless glass of Glen (take your pick) throughout the rest of the day. Then, a major “event” occurred at a family function, and Uncle Tapey “gave up” drinking. NOTE: No one knows exactly what happened at this family function, because Grampy Goodell burned the tapes.

Currently, Uncle Tapey no longer embibes... but, every so often, he “accidentally” orders a shot or two. He always blames it on the waitress for bringing him the “wrong” drink... but, that doesn’t stop him from drinking it when it’s in front of him.

SUMMATION:
    I would never allow Uncle Tapey to drive a car.
    On a side note: Hmmm maybe a better analogy would be he robbed the national treasury then invested the money. He was later caught and his owner paid the fine, but they got to keep the investments. So now, he is skirting the rules because he is perfectly fine living off the interest he has from his initial investments.

As for the outright cheating the damage was already done, but I also believe that that team is also protected by Grandpa Go to Hell. I mean look at gronk's suspension, or the officials celebrating with the cheatriots and then patting tom terrific on the butt. No penalties in the post season until they get to the Superbowl.

Any word on the Bell negotiations? LOL

SUMMATION:
    I wouldn't even let him know where I keep the keys to the car or where I parked the car

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I know this is a Bell thread.....but what thread isn't a Bell thread? Anywho…….I guess I have to get this off my chest.

Tom Brady is a great quarterback...period. We all know that....or at least we should know that by now.

The thing that won't allow me to put him at the top of the mountain is the cheating. There has been a lot of it, and it has been for his entire career. I know all teams supposedly try to do things to get an advantage, but nobody.......and I mean nobody...….has ever cheated in the ways that Bill Belichick has. He has found ways to circumvent the rules on a level that changes the balance of power. I will never think of the Patriots as being a dominant team because they have gotten away with so much. Tom Brady will always be considered a great player, but there is that level of doubt about how much he could have accomplished without the aid of the "Belichick advantages". He is limited physically, and he and his team have been allowed to win games they had no business winning without that help.

I will always consider the Patriots' accomplishments as being tainted. Brady is part of that. He is a great player, but he has also gained the most as the lead dog in the "Culture of Cheating". He is also labeled as the greatest QB of all time based on the accomplishments that I hold in question.

Just my humble opinion.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

You don't think so? Did you ever read about the Doug Flutie helmet incident? That's something that:

- Perfectly explains how New England consistently gets so many quick easy passes to guys wide open way down the field;

- Would be very easy to execute and requires one or two guys, not some big conspiracy;

- Never got a lot of press and doesn't sound like it was ever followed up on;

- There is no evidence that they ever stopped using;

- It really looks like they are still using.

That team gets way too many breaks at just the right time, over too many years, in exactly the way that would be explained by that kind of cheating, for it to be a coincidence. Some people explain it with "Brady is just great in the clutch and has a killer instinct," but even the greatest clutch players ever with the best killer instinct ever, don't come up with even close to that many miraculous results without the odds being stacked in their favor. If it smells fishy, it probably is fishy.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vader29 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    On a side note: Hmmm maybe a better analogy would be he robbed the national treasury then invested the money. He was later caught and his owner paid the fine, but they got to keep the investments. So now, he is skirting the rules because he is perfectly fine living off the interest he has from his initial investments.

As for the outright cheating the damage was already done, but I also believe that that team is also protected by Grandpa Go to Hell. I mean look at gronk's suspension, or the officials celebrating with the cheatriots and then patting tom terrific on the butt. No penalties in the post season until they get to the Superbowl.

Any word on the Bell negotiations? LOL

SUMMATION:
    I wouldn't even let him know where I keep the keys to the car or where I parked the car

That is a GREAT analogy.

I had actually thought about using a similar analogy, involving Uncle Tapey being a child molester who still got to keep custody of the kids... and then years later Uncle Tapey “accidentally” joined NAMBLA.

But, I figured that I’d save that little gem for @steelreserve

You don't think so? Did you ever read about the Doug Flutie helmet incident? That's something that:

- Perfectly explains how New England consistently gets so many quick easy passes to guys wide open way down the field;

- Would be very easy to execute and requires one or two guys, not some big conspiracy;

That team gets way too many breaks at just the right time, over too many years, in exactly the way that would be explained by that kind of cheating, for it to be a coincidence. Some people explain it with "Brady is just great in the clutch and has a killer instinct," but even the greatest clutch players ever with the best killer instinct ever, don't come up with even close to that many miraculous results without the odds being stacked in their favor. If it smells fishy, it probably is fishy.
    Holy crap!!! Flutie said that Brady was getting the defense called out to him (by Belichick) right up until the snap.

Considering Belichick’s propensity for cheating, I agree: why would he stop at the snap/he probably was talking to Brady during plays.

I also also found a interesting tidbit where former Taperiots players admitted that as they were heading out to the field of play, they were given the opposition’s audibles. Not things that they’d studied during the week... a fresh set of audibles right before kickoff. And, those audibles were always accurate. (Spy-cams in the opposing locker rooms???)

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Yep

This cheating has gone on to a degree that I think most people don't understand. The type of cheating we are talking about here decides games. It allows them to have a leg up on the competition regardless of how much better the opposing team is. It is a systemic culture of cheating on every level imaginable that they have built their entire legacy on.

Holy crap!!! Flutie said that Brady was getting the defense called out to him (by Belichick) right up until the snap.

Considering Belichick’s propensity for cheating, I agree: why would he stop at the snap/he probably was talking to Brady during plays.

I also also found a interesting tidbit where former Taperiots players admitted that as they were heading out to the field of play, they were given the opposition’s audibles. Not things that they’d studied during the week... a fresh set of audibles right before kickoff. And, those audibles were always accurate. (Spy-cams in the opposing locker rooms???)

Yeah, I mean, even if it stopped at the snap, it's a hell of a lot easier to call exactly the right audible and have exactly the right hot read if the coaches can identify the defense from upstairs, then tell you right where the seams and open spots are going to be.

Hey, guess what, that would be absolutely devastating against zone defenses, and guess what kinds of defenses the Patriots are notorious for shredding?

Best part is that they have built-in deniability ("But the league controls the helmet radios, not the teams!") but all you'd need to do is put a second radio of your own in the helmet on a different frequency.

I have no doubt that if you ripped Tom Brady's helmet off his head during a game in 2017-18 and pulled out the padding, you'd find two radios inside.

If you were doing this, my guess is that as you got experience with it, you wouldn't use it all the time to minimize the chance of getting caught - just when you really need a score. Such as toward the end of important games. Remember anything like that happening in recent seasons? The Patriots' offense being mostly contained all game and then suddenly switching to unstoppable? Pepperidge Farm remembers.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Yeah, I mean, even if it stopped at the snap, it's a hell of a lot easier to call exactly the right audible and have exactly the right hot read if the coaches can identify the defense from upstairs, then tell you right where the seams and open spots are going to be.

Hey, guess what, that would be absolutely devastating against zone defenses, and guess what kinds of defenses the Patriots are notorious for shredding?

Best part is that they have built-in deniability ("But the league controls the helmet radios, not the teams!") but all you'd need to do is put a second radio of your own in the helmet on a different frequency.

I have no doubt that if you ripped Tom Brady's helmet off his head during a game in 2017-18 and pulled out the padding, you'd find two radios inside.

If you were doing this, my guess is that as you got experience with it, you wouldn't use it all the time to minimize the chance of getting caught - just when you really need a score. Such as toward the end of important games. Remember anything like that happening in recent seasons? The Patriots' offense being mostly contained all game and then suddenly switching to unstoppable? Pepperidge Farm remembers.
    A coach seeing the play before the snap has such an advantage over any player, due to sheer vantage point. Add in the coach’s lack of adrenaline, and it gives the Taperiots a significant advantage on any given play.

Factor in some time clock snafus, mess with the opposing team’s headsets, steal a few audibles via spy cams... et cetera... you get 5-3 (but, feels like 1-7).

Prediction: Steelers, Bell will come to terms on new deal

By BRYAN DEARDO

I believe Le'Veon Bell and the Steelers are going to get a longterm deal done by Monday’s deadline.

Bell has reportedly said that he ideally wants to make $17 million a season, the same amount that Antonio Brown currently makes. He has also said that he won’t play for fewer than $14.5 million a season, the total he will be paid this season if he plays under the franchise tag. While I don’t know if Pittsburgh will pony up on the $14.5 million per season, I believe that they will at least offer Bell a deal that is very close to that number after offering him a deal earlier this offseason that was more lucrative than the $13.3 million per year offer that was on the table this time last year.

to read rest of article:

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...lersNewsletter

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Prediction: Steelers, Bell will come to terms on new deal

By BRYAN DEARDO

I believe Le'Veon Bell and the Steelers are going to get a longterm deal done by Monday’s deadline.

Bell has reportedly said that he ideally wants to make $17 million a season, the same amount that Antonio Brown currently makes. He has also said that he won’t play for fewer than $14.5 million a season, the total he will be paid this season if he plays under the franchise tag. While I don’t know if Pittsburgh will pony up on the $14.5 million per season, I believe that they will at least offer Bell a deal that is very close to that number after offering him a deal earlier this offseason that was more lucrative than the $13.3 million per year offer that was on the table this time last year.

to read rest of article:

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...lersNewsletter
    The author of this article disagrees with Mr. Deardo that the Steelers are going to break the bank to sign a running back on the back end of his best years to a megadeal

What DeMarco Murray’s Early Retirement Means for the NFL’s Current Crop of Star Running Backs

Running back careers have become so short that teams often refuse to invest in the position. Look no further than DeMarco Murray, who, three years after being one of the best players in football, retired on Friday....

Murray is a perfect example of why NFL teams don’t want to hand out big deals to running backs. After being drafted in the third round in 2011, he gave the Cowboys 4,526 rushing yards (4.8 per clip), 1,200 receiving yards, and 29 touchdowns through four seasons. During that stretch he was paid just $3.65 million. Then, when it came time to cash in on his rookie-contract production, the Cowboys lowballed him and let him walk. It’s ugly, doing that to a superstar. It is, also, given the league’s economics, the right business decision for the team....

Murray’s career arc—his immediate production and near-immediate decline after signing a real contract—has implications for some of the league’s current best backs. Le’Veon Bell is close to playing on the franchise tag for a second consecutive year as the Steelers waffle at giving him a long-term deal. Bell led the league in rushing attempts last year, and while he’s just 26, that was also the age Murray was in his All-Pro year....

When it’s time to get paid, a rusher’s best years are often already behind them—and teams know that. For many players, that time is already here, and teams are going to look at what happened to Murray. Then they’ll do the same thing the Cowboys did: Lowball them, or let them walk.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/7...-running-backs

They have like two days to get it done and Bell-Einstein is probably hanging out with some rapper this weekend. Not holding my breath.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

TBH, I'm not sure if I will be happy or mad if Bell signs a deal. Past performance is good, but I can easily see him declining rapidly. If he signs, hopefully no more than 2 years are guaranteed.

Rapoport: Progress Made In Le’Veon Bell Talks, Unclear If Deal Will Get Done

By Alex Kozora
    Posted on July 14, 2018

It’s pretty much the exact same story we’ve heard the past two years but according to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, there has been some measure of progress between Le’Veon Bell and the Pittsburgh Steelers. Each side is looking to hammer out a long-term deal, made difficult by a deflated RB market compared to Bell’s top talent.

It’s widely assumed that if a deal isn’t reached by 4 PM Monday, 2018 will be Bell’s final season as a Steeler.

Bell has previously told ESPN he won’t accept an average yearly value below his $14.5 million franchise tag. That’s about the only concrete info we know about his demands. The Steelers reportedly offered a deal worth north of $13 million per year, which his agent accepted but Bell declined.

to read rest of article:

https://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/0...will-get-done/

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    The author of this article disagrees with Mr. Deardo that the Steelers are going to break the bank to sign a running back on the back end of his best years to a megadeal

What DeMarco Murray’s Early Retirement Means for the NFL’s Current Crop of Star Running Backs

Running back careers have become so short that teams often refuse to invest in the position. Look no further than DeMarco Murray, who, three years after being one of the best players in football, retired on Friday....

Murray is a perfect example of why NFL teams don’t want to hand out big deals to running backs. After being drafted in the third round in 2011, he gave the Cowboys 4,526 rushing yards (4.8 per clip), 1,200 receiving yards, and 29 touchdowns through four seasons. During that stretch he was paid just $3.65 million. Then, when it came time to cash in on his rookie-contract production, the Cowboys lowballed him and let him walk. It’s ugly, doing that to a superstar. It is, also, given the league’s economics, the right business decision for the team....

Murray’s career arc—his immediate production and near-immediate decline after signing a real contract—has implications for some of the league’s current best backs. Le’Veon Bell is close to playing on the franchise tag for a second consecutive year as the Steelers waffle at giving him a long-term deal. Bell led the league in rushing attempts last year, and while he’s just 26, that was also the age Murray was in his All-Pro year....

When it’s time to get paid, a rusher’s best years are often already behind them—and teams know that. For many players, that time is already here, and teams are going to look at what happened to Murray. Then they’ll do the same thing the Cowboys did: Lowball them, or let them walk.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/7...-running-backs

One of the big differences between Murray and Bell is that Bell is not a system or style specific player, and he is an elite route runner which translates anywhere be goes...and in any system regardless of blocking schemes.

They are two very different types of players, and Bell is the far better and more versatile player.

I do understand what the author is saying, and it does have some merit....but not much IMO.

Mike Tomlin On Bell Negotiations: ‘Hopefully We Have Some Exciting News Monday’

By Alex Kozora
    Posted on July 14, 2018

The clock is about to strike midnight on the contract talks between Le’Veon Bell and the Pittsburgh Steelers. Earlier today, Ian Rapoport tweeted there’s been progress in the negotiations but that reaching a new deal would go down to the wire.

Mike Tomlin weighed in on the situation, speaking to Bruce Rader for WAVY TV 10, a local Virginia station and hometown for Tomlin where he conducts a yearly youth camp. Rader asked Tomlin if he felt like a deal was going to be achieved.

“Obviously we want to get the deal done,” Tomlin said. “He wants to get the deal done. Everybody has said that. Now it’s just about the negotiations, getting in the room, and doing what it is they need to do. I’m excited and hopeful. Hopefully we have some exciting news Monday.”

to read rest of article:

https://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/0...com%2FSteelers