Thread: Justin Hunter as our #4 Receiver?

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Justin Hunter as our #4 Receiver?

My wife and I saw Hunter up at training camp over several days last summers and he looked great. It sounds like this year is no different.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/20...ry-minicamp/4/

So I am curious if people feel Hunter could be a tremendous asset to our team as the number 4 receiver and if we could/should exploit defenses with more 4 receiver sets?

He is also 6' 4" and can outjump just about anyone.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...ter?id=2540151
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: Justin Hunter as our #4 Receiver?

Not counting on it. He's a HOF when it comes to practice but he has shown nothing during in games.

Eli Rogers will probably be signed at some point so he'll be the #4 WR.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Practice Justin Hunter would be the second best WR on the team and one of the better deep ball guys in the league. Real NFL game Justin Hunter is a hit or (mostly) miss proposition who can’t seem to remember routes, reliably hang on to the ball, and concentrate for 35 seconds in a row.

Somehow he is only 7 months older than Martavis Bryant. SO....I guess he could still put it all together?

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

Somehow he is only 7 months older than Martavis Bryant

lmao guessing that has something to do with his birth date ....

but I was told there would be no math

Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post

that cracks me up every single time

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

In all seriousness though, it just seems that Justin Hunter has been around forever. I thought he was like 30. I guess that is what happens when you bounce around early in a career.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Well, some think we may be adding another receiver to the stable before the season....at least the title states that.

Steelers may sign a veteran WR before start of regular season

Antonio Brown is the NFL's best receiver.

JuJu Smith-Schuster could be the league's top No.2 receiving by season's end.

James Washington could turn out to be the NFL's best rookie wideout in 2018.

Despite these possibilities, don't be surprised if the Steelers add a veteran presence to the wide receiver room before the start of the 2018 season. In his most recent Q&A, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Gerry Dulac wrote that the team might bring in a veteran wide receiver before the start of the 2018 season.

Despite their potential, there's been fear that Pittsburgh's receiving corps isn't as deep as it's been in recent seasons. With five weeks to go until Pittsburgh reports to training camp, ESPN's Jeremy Fowler recently questioned whether or not the Steelers have enough firepower at the receiver position heading into the 2018 season.

"How will the Steelers support Antonio Brown in the passing game?" Fowler wrote. "JuJu Smith-Schuster must be part of the answer after a 917-yard rookie campaign. But the loss of Bryant as a safety magnet will affect Brown's passing lanes unless rookie James Washington, tight end Vance McDonald and others keep defensive backs honest. Bryant was erratic, but his presence garnered the respect of defenses. That's tough to replicate."

Smith-Schuster, the 2017 recipient of the Joe Greene Great Performance Award annually given to the Steelers' best rookie, was recently asked about replacing Bryant. JuJu quickly supplanted Bryant as the team's No.2 receiver last fall.

"I want it," Smith-Schuster told reporters last week. "I love it. This is why I’m here. I love the game. Whatever they put on my shoulders I’m gonna carry it and do what I can do for this team."

JuJu is also excited to work with Washington, the 2017 Biletnikoff Award winner and Pittsburgh's second round pick in this year's draft.

"I’m super excited about (Washington)," Smith-Schuster said. "A guy who kinda has the same body type. He can play inside and out."

While Washington is older than him, JuJu has embraced serving as the rookie receiver's mentor during spring practices.

"Me being around him, it’s more of the physical advice," Smith-Schuster said. "The physical condition is going to help out in the long term because when it comes to the third and fourth quarter, we’re going to need him. On that last drive, we’re gonna need him."

Along with Le'Veon Bell (who caught 85 passes last season), expect Pittsburgh's passing attack to include a steady dose of rookie running back Jaylen Samuels, who left North Carolina State as the school's all-time leader with 201 receptions. One of Pittsburgh's two fifth round picks in this year's draft, Samuels turned heads during the Steelers' spring practices. Among the team's veterans that has been impressed with Samuels is veteran offensive lineman Ramon Foster.

“He’s doing more than just run the ball,” Foster told Steelers.com. “Le’Veon (Bell) created the blueprint for this thing. If you’re a young running back that’s coming up, learn how to run the ball and catch the ball.

(Continued)
    https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...son-119228747/

The Corn Shucking Hippie Array title="IowaSteeler927 is a name known to all"> IowaSteeler927's Avatar

Hunter's got a year under his belt now, more familiarity with the offense, more familiarity with his teammates... I think he could step up his game now and possibly lock up the #4 receiver spot. He's been around Brown for a year now, that's a lot of time to learn watching one of the best at his craft. I think Hunter had a lot of pressure on him in Tennessee when he was drafted to come in and be the guy, now he's not being relied upon as heavily as he was. Sometimes not having the weight of the world on your shoulders really helps these younger players.

That being said, it's entirely possible that Hunter is just a practice star, and he could be underwhelming when he does see the field. Only time is going to tell.

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

who did it when Bryant was suspended ?

we didn't have McDonald , we didnt have JuJu ...

we had Coates ( who cant even stick on an NFL roster since )

sure we might snag a vet , but we just as easily could stand pat at WR

to me this is just another , what the hell am I gonna write about story during the off season
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I think Hunter has a breakout year with at least 5-7 catches!

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Top 5 depth chart: AB, JuJu, Washington, Rogers, DHB

The 6th WR will come down to Tucker or Hunter. Maybe Quadree Henderson shows return value? If he impresses he may get the 6th spot.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I think it's time for some new blood in the 4-6 slots.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I think Hunter has a breakout year with at least 5-7 TD catches!
    there, fixed that for you

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    there, fixed that for you
    One can dream.......

At some point (e.g., DHB), a player is what he is. I think JH is at that place.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    One can dream.......

At some point (e.g., DHB), a player is what he is. I think JH is at that place.
    JH is only 27 years old, is 6'4" tall and has 13 career TD catches so far.

I believe he does have the potential for that type of a breakout year...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I think there’s an extremely high chance that Rogers is back on this roster as soon as they are confident he’s healthy.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I think there’s an extremely high chance that Rogers is back on this roster as soon as they are confident he’s healthy.

The job of Steelers' No.4 receiver is Justin Hunter's to lose

"Justin Hunter has enjoyed a strong offseason."

Yes, you've heard this before. Last offseason, to be exact, shortly after the Steelers acquired Hunter via free agency. Hunter did enjoy a strong offseason/training camp in 2017.

In practices, he showed the athleticism that made him the 34th overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, 14 spots ahead of Pittsburgh's All-Pro running back, Le'Veon Bell. Hunter then led Pittsburgh in receiving during the preseason.

But in the regular season, Hunter failed to make a significant impact. In seven games, he caught 4 of 10 targets for 23 yards and a touchdown while playing behind Antonio Brown, Martavis Bryant, JuJu Smith-Schuster and Eli Rogers. But with Bryant in Oakland, and with Rogers still unsigned,

Hunter enters this summer's training camp with a firm grip on securing one of the team's top four receiving positions. And like last year, Hunter enjoyed another strong spring while strengthening his rapports with quarterbacks Ben Roethlisberger, Josh Dobbs, Landry Jones and rookie Mason Rudolph.

The ability to make a big play is a big reason why Hunter is still a member of Pittsburgh's roster. While he only has 82 catches in five pro seasons, 13 of those catches were touchdown receptions. In 2016, 4 of Hunter's 10 catches went for scores. Hunter, who has a knack for making big plays in the red zone, dominated a recent red zone scrimmage against Pittsburgh's defense during the Steelers' minicamp.

(continued)

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...ose-119392559/