Thread: Bengals Rookie QB Arrested For DUI

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Bengals Rookie QB Arrested For DUI

Every single team in the AFC North drafted a quarterback in 2018. Two of them drafted a quarterback in the first round that they fully intend to be the future of their franchise. Another was able to get one in the third round that they believe may be able to be that as well.

And then there are the Cincinnati Bengals, regarding whom there is reason to believe that they wanted that aforementioned third-round quarterback, but had to settle for taking one later in the draft. And he was just arrested.............

Read more @ http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/06...medium=twitter

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Re: Bengals Rookie QB Arrested For DUI

Hey the kid was just falling in line with the leadership on this team. I believe character flaws are a huge plus in gaining a starting position for this team.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

What a shock. Next thing you are going to tell me is that it's hot outside

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Who?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

When an article doesn't have the players name in the title and takes FIVE paragraphs to get said players name into the article it's:

A. TERRIBLE writing
    B. A non-story
    C. The NFL Off-Season

and

D. ALL OF THE ABOVE

Jeez.

And then there are the Cincinnati Bengals, regarding whom there is reason to believe that they wanted that aforementioned third-round quarterback, but had to settle for taking one later in the draft. And he was just arrested.
    UGH...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    Hey the kid was just falling in line with the leadership on this team. I believe character flaws are a huge plus in gaining a starting position for this team.
    No disrespect meant, but.... you might want to think about that, given what your QB has been accused of over the years. Just sayin'.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    No disrespect meant, but.... you might want to think about that, given what your QB has been accused of over the years. Just sayin'.
    Accused but never charged with anything.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Accused but never charged with anything.
    I did say accused.

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Being arrested while being a Bengal seems to be a rite of passage.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

I did say accused.
    So what is your point?

Ben was only accused and this guy was arrested. Major difference.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I give him an A+ for doing all he can do to fit in with team culture
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

So what is your point?

Not really. The minute the testimony was given to the police, they had probable cause to arrest Ben. (Eye-witness testimony is considered enough evidence to establish probably cause). The reason they didn't is because it starts the clock ticking. Once arrested, a prosecutor has 72 hours to file charges. So, it benefits the police not to arrest someone until they have a better idea whether they will charge them or not. Think of it as keeping the finger pressed on the timer. Once that finger is removed, the 72 hour timer starts. Moreover, in this case, Ben was such a high profile person there was no risk of him fleeing and escaping the justice system. Extradition from one state to another occurs all the time.

So what is your point?

Come on, man. I know you know what I meant.

I'm not a problem maker here... I like this place and the people here. But, sometimes you guys seem to forget that your team's players aren't really any different from the rest of the teams' players. I know the Steelers are a great franchise and they are run as well as any pro sports team out there, but players are players... no matter what team they land on. The Steelers don't have exclusive rights to high moral compass players, but sometimes you fans forget that.

Again... no disrespect meant... I'm just calling it like I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Not really. The minute the testimony was given to the police, they had probable cause to arrest Ben. (Eye-witness testimony is considered enough evidence to establish probably cause). The reason they didn't is because it starts the clock ticking. Once arrested, a prosecutor has 72 hours to file charges. So, it benefits the police not to arrest someone until they have a better idea whether they will charge them or not. Think of it as keeping the finger pressed on the timer. Once that finger is removed, the 72 hour timer starts. Moreover, in this case, Ben was such a high profile person there was no risk of him fleeing and escaping the justice system. Extradition from one state to another occurs all the time.
    Yes it is. Ben was cleared of all charges and was NEVER arrested. Accusations do not mean you should be arrested or even prove you are guilty of a crime, but having a blood alcohol level of .112 is a clear reason the bengal was arrested. Major difference. So again what is the point?

Come on, man. I know you know what I meant.

I'm not a problem maker here... I like this place and the people here. But, sometimes you guys seem to forget that your team's players aren't really any different from the rest of the teams' players. I know the Steelers are a great franchise and they are run as well as any pro sports team out there, but players are players... no matter what team they land on. The Steelers don't have exclusive rights to high moral compass players, but sometimes you fans forget that.

Again... no disrespect meant... I'm just calling it like I see it.
    No way are you a problem maker here far from it, and I respect your opinions, and still do.

I just don't agree with you pointing a finger at Ben. He was never arrested no matter if others believe he was guilty or not.

My earlier post was more that the Bengals and Marvin Lewis in particular have had more than their fair share of these types of characters. No we are not perfect but at same time we don't go out of our way to find these types.

I will say we are the only team, that I can think of who traded a Super Bowl MVP for a 6th round pick just 2 years removed from said Super Bowl due to his issues with drugs. Doesn't make us perfect, but it does show some character.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I give him an A+ for doing all he can do to fit in with team culture

Yes it is. Ben was cleared of all charges and was NEVER arrested. Accusations do not mean you should be arrested or even prove you are guilty of a crime, but having a blood alcohol level of .112 is a clear reason the bengal was arrested. Major difference. So again what is the point?
    Not really much of a difference at all. In both cases, the police had reason suspicion to arrest. In one case, they didn't because they didn't want to start the 72 hour clock and most likely didn't feel he was an immediate danger to others. In the other, they did because they weren't worried about the 72 hour clock and also probably felt as though he were a danger to others at that moment because he was intoxicated.

In both cases, as of right now, the person is still absolutely innocent according to the law until the DA decides to file charges (unless it's already happened in the second case). Again, you're looking at "Arrested" as meaning something. It doesn't. It means absolutely nothing. I've known people who were absolutely guilty of their crime. They knew it, their lawyer knew it, the DA knew it, and the police knew it. But, they were only arrested once the DA had an opening to take the case to trial months and months later. Only then did he file charges. Then, there are tons of other people who get arrested and held for a day, maybe two, and then never, ever have a charge filed against them. The only thing about being arrested is how it makes someone look.

Honestly, I can be standing on a street corner looking up Google maps, and be arrested because three people around me get busted for dealing drugs and someone else sad they thought I was a part of it. Yet, once the police sort things out, I get let go the next day without every being charged. It literally means nothing and making a distinction based on that means nothing as well.

EDIT: and no, Ben wasn't cleared of all charges. That indicates charges were filed and after a criminal trial, it was found that the DA couldn't remove all suspicion of doubt. That never happened. What did happen was the DA simply decided not to pursue it and charge him. It has nothing to do with whether Ben did or did not do something that night. It simply means the DA decided not to pursue it. And, I'm not posting this with an assumption that he did or did not do it. Rather, I'm posting this to clear up a misnomer that somehow, Ben was declared innocent. Personally, I believe from Ben's perspective, he was innocent, but that doesn't change what I've written here.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

"With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Charges, allegations, accusations whatever. He was accused and they investigated the "allegations" for a month and there was not enough evidence that a rape had occurred. You say that he was not arrested because of the 72 hour clock, but I seem to remember they did not have enough evidence that a rape had even occurred so no reason to arrest.

The D.A. did not pursue it because there was not enough evidence to take it to trial.

Now being pulled over while driving and blowing a .112 in a breathalyzer is plenty of evidence that a person has broken a law and justifies an arrest.

Big difference

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post

Charges, allegations, accusations whatever. He was accused and they investigated the "allegations" for a month and there was not enough evidence that a rape had occurred. You say that he was not arrested because of the 72 hour clock, but I seem to remember they did not have enough evidence that a rape had even occurred so no reason to arrest.
    Stop right here. This is where you are wrong. There was an eye witness that came forward. Regardless of whether she recanted, or her testimony later changed, or whatever else, the fact that an eyewitness came forward and said he did it is enough to cause reasonable suspicion. Reasonable suspicion is enough to arrest someone.

Period.

There is no argument to be made whether some got arrested or not. The argument to be made is whether someone was convicted or not. When it gets there, I'll agree with you that it is different. Until then, both situations are the exact same when it comes to legal standing. Again, this has nothing to do with Ben. It's simply the legal system. There are several paths to trail. Being arrested is just one of them. However, whether you are or aren't means nothing in the bigger scheme of things.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    We need a "Hair splitting" emoji. I can't find one anywhere.

And this is where you are wrong. The witness who came forward was not reliable therefore reasonable suspicion could be thrown out. Further more (according to the D.A.) the evidence did not support a conviction so again no arrest and no trial.

So now we have an unreliable eyewitness and not enough evidence vs a .112 breathalyzer as reasons for arrest. As it stands I would say the breathalyzer is much more of a smoking gun.

I do agree that a conviction will put it over the top, but there was no reason that Ben should have been arrested and there is plenty of reason why the bengal should have.

And this is where you are wrong. The witness who came forward was not reliable therefore reasonable suspicion could be thrown out. Further more (according to the D.A.) the evidence did not support a conviction so again no arrest and no trial.

So now we have an unreliable eyewitness and not enough evidence vs a .112 breathalyzer as reasons for arrest. As it stands I would say the breathalyzer is much more of a smoking gun.

I do agree that a conviction will put it over the top, but there was no reason that Ben should have been arrested and there is plenty of reason why the bengal should have.
    Nope. The witness was only later deemed unreliable. Her witness, at the moment she provided it, was enough to arrest Ben according to the law in virtually every state of the union. Again, we are talking reasonable suspicion. Usually, when such an arrest happens, the police then hold the suspect for a period of time while investigating unless they don't want to start the 72 hour clock, yet. If the eye-witness was later deemed unreliable, then the suspect would be released and uncharged. Ben could have gone either route. The police chose not to because they either didn't want to start the clock or they figured he wouldn't be hard to track down.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Nope. The witness was only later deemed unreliable. Her witness, at the moment she provided it, was enough to arrest Ben according to the law in virtually every state of the union. Again, we are talking reasonable suspicion. Usually, when such an arrest happens, the police then hold the suspect for a period of time while investigating unless they don't want to start the 72 hour clock, yet. If the eye-witness was later deemed unreliable, then the suspect would be released and uncharged. Ben could have gone either route. The police chose not to because they either didn't want to start the clock or they figured he wouldn't be hard to track down.
    Woulda coulda shoulda they didn't arrest him, the witness was unreliable and for all we know that is why police did not arrest Ben.

While you say that Ben would not have been hard to track down what about the bengals qb would he also not be hard to track down or was there a bigger reason to take him into custody? Oh yeah .112 guess that was more of an immediate concern. hmmm looks like we agree to disagree

Woulda coulda shoulda they didn't arrest him, the witness was unreliable and for all we know that is why police did not arrest Ben.

While you say that Ben would not have been hard to track down what about the bengals qb would he also not be hard to track down or was there a bigger reason to take him into custody? Oh yeah .112 guess that was more of an immediate concern. hmmm looks like we agree to disagree
    Woulda coulda shoulda nothing. The arrest can be made on a single accusation at the moment of accusation. Why they didn't, who knows, who cares. That's not my point. He legally could have been. Just as the Bengals QB legally could have been (and was). Oh, and it's standard practice in the case of public intoxication. Most of the time that person is never charged... ever hear of a drunk tank? Yeah, it's the holding cell where the police throw drunks for 8-10 to sober them up and the release them. Again, being arrested means nothing. All it takes is suspicion (which is a single, "I saw it, officer!") If you can't agree to that, then yeah, we should probably agree to disagree and leave it there.

If you can't agree to that
    Whoa, this is only about me now, you own no responsibility in this disagreement?

Nice to meet you pot, I'm kettle.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Don't be talking about ben like that, he's my quarterback, man!

Whoa, this is only about me now, you own no responsibility in this disagreement?

Nice to meet you pot, I'm kettle.
    ???

There's only two of us in this discussion. Who else would I refer to? I think you read it with emphasis I didn't mean. If the rest of my post led you to that, I apologize. It wasn't my intention.