Thread: Steelers new secondary coach Tom Bradley will stress tackling, fundamentals at training camp

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Steelers new secondary coach Tom Bradley will stress tackling, fundamentals at training camp

Tom Bradley never played or coached in the NFL, which was perfectly fine for Steelers coach Mike Tomlin.

Despite having a number of former NFL players on his coaching staff, Tomlin was looking for a teacher, not necessarily a role model, for his young secondary.

And he foundt that person in Bradley, a longtime assistant coach at Penn State who also coached at West Virginia and UCLA. He has spent the better part of OTAs and minicamp doing what he does best — teaching and stressing fundamentals — and getting accustomed to a different way of life in the NFL................

Read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201806130208

The Corn Shucking Hippie Array title="IowaSteeler927 is a name known to all"> IowaSteeler927's Avatar

Re: Steelers new secondary coach Tom Bradley will stress tackling, fundamentals at training camp

They do seriously need to work on fundamental tackling. Way too many missed tackles last season, and poor angles taken attempting to go and make the tackles as well. Defense has to be better, we can't rely on the offense for everything.

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: Steelers new secondary coach Tom Bradley will stress tackling, fundamentals at training camp

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSteeler927 View Post
    They do seriously need to work on fundamental tackling. Way too many missed tackles last season, and poor angles taken attempting to go and make the tackles as well. Defense has to be better, we can't rely on the offense for everything.
    Are there specific players that you noticed who were taking poor angles in attempting tackles?? All I can think of was Burns in taking bad angles, or being a matador. I think Spence and Williams missed tackles because they aren't fast enough and #23 never tried to wrap up, rather just hit somebody with his shoulders and helmet, but thankfully Mitchell is gone.