Thread: Mark Madden: Steelers defense the problem

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Mark Madden: Steelers defense the problem

Mark Madden: Steelers defense the problem

MARK MADDEN | Tuesday, June 5, 2018

The Steelers would do well to minimize turmoil in 2018.

Then again, they navigated through choppy waters so often in 2016 and '17 that doing otherwise might disrupt their routine.

The media doesn't need to invent problems when it comes to Steelers silliness. They will crop up regularly. It's organic now. It's in the Steelers' DNA.

to read rest of article:

http://triblive.com/sports/-topstori...lers-d-problem

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Mark Madden: Steelers defense the problem

This was the problem in 2017. Tough to just come out and say this is the problem in 2018 considering they haven’t even hit preseason...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Mark Madden is a blowhard who just basically says the loudest most controversial thing he can think up in the 12 seconds he spends on preparation and then fires it at the wall to see what sticks.

Basically he contends the defense wont improve because he doesn’t like the free agents that were signed and draft picks don’t help quickly enough. The only alternative he provides is the ever popular Kendricks solution. This ignores the timeline of Bostic versus Kendricks availability and also fails (like all others) to provide details on the differences between the two players aside from career starts.

This is basically the equivalent of two guys griping in a bar. Only Madden gets paid a boatload of money to do it. What a joke.

Senior Member Array title="Cyphon25 is a name known to all">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Mark Madden is a blowhard who just basically says the loudest most controversial thing he can think up in the 12 seconds he spends on preparation and then fires it at the wall to see what sticks.

Basically he contends the defense wont improve because he doesn’t like the free agents that were signed and draft picks don’t help quickly enough. The only alternative he provides is the ever popular Kendricks solution. This ignores the timeline of Bostic versus Kendricks availability and also fails (like all others) to provide details on the differences between the two players aside from career starts.

This is basically the equivalent of two guys griping in a bar. Only Madden gets paid a boatload of money to do it. What a joke.
    In fairness to Madden he was spot on about how bad of a rapper Le'veon Bell is.

With that being said, I think he was definitely too quick to defend AB on thinking it is beneath him to catch passes from the backups. That is the exact opposite of the attitude AB should have towards the process. If Ben goes down you want to have better timing with the backups so that you can continue to be great. I'm not saying I am mad at AB, but if he truly thinks he is above catching passes from a backup he is a fool.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Does Madden work for the Trib now?? I thought he had an independent blog or whatever.

I can't even open a Tribune or Gazette article anymore so I'm clueless as far as those 2 sites.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Wow did he just realize that now? No shit sherlock.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Does Madden work for the Trib now?? I thought he had an independent blog or whatever.

I can't even open a Tribune or Gazette article anymore so I'm clueless as far as those 2 sites.
    No idea. The link goes to an article that looks like some web only version of the Trib. Apparently they felt it necessary to give Madden a platform to express these gems:

"The Steelers have zero chance to win a championship with their defense as constructed. The depth chart further confirms it's unthinkable the Steelers didn't do anything in the draft or free agency to better patch the gaping hole left by the injury to Ryan Shazier.
    Start Jon Bostic or Tyler Matakevich? That's a one-way ticket to Palookaville.
    Play more safeties and fewer linebackers? Uh, Troy Polamalu retired. It's not like the Steelers are overflowing with quality safeties.
    The only way scheme can overcome the cataclysmic deficiencies on that defense is if coordinator Keith Butler comes up with some revolutionary new packages for second-and-2. The Steelers may face that plenty."

He goes on to make an argument that since Kendricks was part of Super Bowl winning team, he alone held the key to solving the problems Madden outlines above. This ignores the following:
    1. Kendricks only saw the field on that defense because 2 other guys got hurt.
    2. When the Steelers signed Bostic in FA and when the draft came around, Kendricks was not available on the FA market. He was available on a $6 million dollar cap hit + unknown draft compensation to the Eagles.

Basically it is just a bunch of loud noises in blog form. Offers a few "hot takes" and very little in the way of alternative solutions or specific analysis. It is the verbal equivalent of a fart.

Senior Member Array title="Carolina Steelers has a spectacular aura about"> Carolina Steelers's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Cyphon25 View Post
    In fairness to Madden he was spot on about how bad of a rapper Le'veon Bell is.

With that being said, I think he was definitely too quick to defend AB on thinking it is beneath him to catch passes from the backups. That is the exact opposite of the attitude AB should have towards the process. If Ben goes down you want to have better timing with the backups so that you can continue to be great. I'm not saying I am mad at AB, but if he truly thinks he is above catching passes from a backup he is a fool.
    I not sure if I believe that AB said it’s beneath him to catch passes from back-ups I know sources said he said that but for some reason just can’t believe he would say that. But the way he’s been talking on IG lately maybe he did. Lol. AB has 59 career TD’s all from Ben I believe, that’s hard to believe Ben has missed his share of games over AB’s 8 years and AB has caught 0 TD’s from anyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

This isn't news, defense has been a problem for 5 years now, at least

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Really!?!...We hadn't noticed, thanks.

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="Neversatisfied has a spectacular aura about">

Its hilarious when guys like Madden or Cowherd point out very obvious flaws with the current culture of this organization. People often resort to name calling or whitty phrases but the truth hurts. Some current Steeler players act like entitled children and the coaching staff allows it and when the defense gives up 40 points on a regular basis who gets canned? The offensive coordinator! It's like going to the mechanic and he suggests you rebuild your motor so you have him RIP out the transmission instead. This team has a ton of talent but equal problems.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Neversatisfied View Post
    Its hilarious when guys like Madden or Cowherd point out very obvious flaws with the current culture of this organization. People often resort to name calling or whitty phrases but the truth hurts. Some current Steeler players act like entitled children and the coaching staff allows it and when the defense gives up 40 points on a regular basis who gets canned? The offensive coordinator! It's like going to the mechanic and he suggests you rebuild your motor so you have him RIP out the transmission instead. This team has a ton of talent but equal problems.
    The problem is when someone is pointing out something obvious just to hear themselves talk and read about themselves saying that. He's not offering any new insight from what has been known for years already and what has already been discussed

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Wow did he just realize that now? No shit sherlock.
    One chilly morning during a late fall recess hour, I was engaged in a rousing game of Pickle at Westview Elementary when a teacher blew the whistle to signal the close of our outdoor activities. Wanting to get the most out of what time we had left and while walking to our classroom, I held my glove high in the universal sign to throw me the ball. My grade-school colleague responded by informing me of the obvious, "Recess is over!" Underwhelmed by his observational capacity, I responded with the highlighted phrase above, only to learn quickly my own observational capacity had failed.

Teachers do not like hearing fourth graders swear.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Now that the NHL and NBA playoffs are both done, these types of "articles" will be blanketing the internet and the airwaves because these "journalists" will have more of nothing to talk about.

Is it September yet?

The Corn Shucking Hippie Array title="IowaSteeler927 is a name known to all"> IowaSteeler927's Avatar

Mark Madden must be the new Captain of the USS Obvious.

We all know the defense needs work. They're working on it, and I believe it'll get better. Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither are championship caliber teams.

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSteeler927 View Post
    Mark Madden must be the new Captain of the USS Obvious.

We all know the defense needs work. They're working on it, and I believe it'll get better. Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither are championship caliber teams.
    Especially when you consider that the current high end defenses across the league (Eagles, Saints, Jags, Vikes for instance) all feature multiple high first round picks. While the Steelers defense features multiple first round picks, the only guy taken at a non-playoff team draft slot was Shazier. And he was excellent. The rest are coming from the last 3rd of the round. A bit harder to do picking there than the top 12.

Although Xavier Rhodes and Danielle Hunter for the Vikings will always be a “Steelers” what ifs...

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Especially when you consider that the current high end defenses across the league (Eagles, Saints, Jags, Vikes for instance) all feature multiple high first round picks. While the Steelers defense features multiple first round picks, the only guy taken at a non-playoff team draft slot was Shazier. And he was excellent. The rest are coming from the last 3rd of the round. A bit harder to do picking there than the top 12.

Although Xavier Rhodes and Danielle Hunter for the Vikings will always be a “Steelers” what ifs...
    are you saying you would have rather had Xavier Rhodes and Danielle Hunter than Jarvis Jones and Sammie Coates?